EJ Manuel... 1st round, really??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EJ Manuel... 1st round, really???

robbcayman
04-26-2013, 21:24
I was stunned that the Bills took EJ Manuel in the middle of the 1st round. I mean, had they truly wanted the guy he would have likely been there in the 3rd or 4th round. To waste a 1st round pick on a mediocre college player is nuts. Then again, they are the Bills.

Anyone see any other crazy things going on?

Huaco Kid
04-26-2013, 21:35
I'm stressed and anxiety.

Drain You
04-26-2013, 21:39
The Norwood curse continues.

PIMking
04-26-2013, 21:39
hahaha

Maybe they will give him the rest of Fitzpatricks contract

robbcayman
04-26-2013, 21:58
The Norwood curse continues.

They would prefer to forget that one.

GVFlyer
04-26-2013, 22:10
I dunno, it brings me pleasure to see teams I don't like make stupid choices...but teams I do like made plenty of dumb choices as well - like the Vikings taking short armed defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd as the 23rd pick.

:cool:

robbcayman
04-26-2013, 22:17
I dunno, it brings me pleasure to see teams I don't like make stupid choices...but teams I do like made plenty of dumb choices as well - like the Vikings taking short armed defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd as the 23rd pick.

:cool:

I'm not sure about Floyd just yet. However, the Vikings were fools to let Percy Harvin leave. Poor Adrian Peterson doesn't have a lot of help up there.

GVFlyer
04-26-2013, 22:35
I'm not sure about Floyd just yet. However, the Vikings were fools to let Percy Harvin leave. Poor Adrian Peterson doesn't have a lot of help up there.

Yep, the Vikes are pretty weak on offense. Cordarrelle Patterson is supposed to be Harvin's replacement. I'm not a big Christian Ponder fan either, I'd like to have seen Geno Smith go to the Vikings. I think the Jets made a great choice with him.

Here's an interesting opinion on Harvin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53954/percy-harvin-got-to-be-more-right

adamg01
04-26-2013, 22:36
I believe the Packers made a good choice at running back with Bama's Eddie Lacy. I believe he will be good right out of the gate like Trenton Richardson. This could be one of the nastiest running and passing attacks in football this year.

robbcayman
04-27-2013, 08:28
I believe the Packers made a good choice at running back with Bama's Eddie Lacy. I believe he will be good right out of the gate like Trenton Richardson. This could be one of the nastiest running and passing attacks in football this year.

Agree 100%! This may end up being the biggest steal of the draft. I was hoping my niners were going to grab him, but it didn't happen. :crying:

robbcayman
04-27-2013, 08:38
Yep, the Vikes are pretty weak on offense. Cordarrelle Patterson is supposed to be Harvin's replacement. I'm not a big Christian Ponder fan either, I'd like to have seen Geno Smith go to the Vikings. I think the Jets made a great choice with him.

Here's an interesting opinion on Harvin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53954/percy-harvin-got-to-be-more-right

So basically, everyone thought he was a diva that wanted too much money. I looked up his deal from Seattle and he only got 14 million guaranteed. Even for a 1st round pick and some later picks it doesn't seem worth it. There aren't tons of Percy Harvin type players running around.

Harvin may have had a toxic personality, but man would they have been smart to try to make it work. In my opinion, even more than money I think Harvin wanted to win. He wanted to go to a contender. Time will tell how this works out.

Recalcitrant
04-27-2013, 09:15
I was stunned that the Bills took EJ Manuel in the middle of the 1st round. I mean, had they truly wanted the guy he would have likely been there in the 3rd or 4th round. To waste a 1st round pick on a mediocre college player is nuts. Then again, they are the Bills.

ESPN Sports Science had EJ Manuel on.

Sports Science: EJ Manuel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLEMyMkDdU&feature=youtu.be)

I'm not overly enthused about the pick yet, but Buffalo needs quality players that want to be there, are a part of the team, and strive to make everyone else better. I wish Stevie Johnson wasn't our "veteran" WR, but we'll see what happens.

u n v kenny
04-27-2013, 10:16
Buffalo Bills will be the number one round draft pick next year. Quote it.

97XJ_Sport
04-27-2013, 10:50
At least y'all aren't Cowboy's fan's.:burn:

WmHBonney
04-28-2013, 00:20
Go 'Hawks!!!!:tongueout:

silentpoet
04-28-2013, 01:26

It gets even better after the draft, not one lineman among the rookie free agents so far.

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 09:53

Jerry Jones and all his wisdom... :rofl::rofl:

birddog1
04-28-2013, 15:14
Buffalo Bills will be the number one round draft pick next year. Quote it.

I don't know about that, as a Browns fan their draft was pretty pathetic. I think the Browns will be up there

Dan_ntx
04-28-2013, 15:51
Does Manuel do that hop in his front foot with every pass he throws?...or just the ones ESPN shows. I would say I look forward to seeing if this is true in the coming season, but I'm not sure the Bills have a nationally televised game.

Geno Smith got his feelings hurt, but that guy can play. Picking Manuel in the first round stroked his ego, but that guy has lots of mechanical issues to fix in his throwing motion. Good luck Buffalo

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 15:53

Prove it and Mike Mayock had him as his #2 QB. Also read somewhere Philly was looking to move into the back end of R1 for EJ. Now if they did that all the "experts" would be saying "omg love it Chip knows what he is doing" but since its the Bills "they know nothing and should have took someone else"
should have took Geno? Well he went all the way to 33. next, Nassib, 4th round. Next, Barkley? 4th round. Glennon? 3rd.

All the Qbs were there at 16, they took their highest rated one with the most upside.

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 15:54

Kid won't last 3 yrs in NFL. Teams took him off board dude to his toe injury.

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 15:55
Does Manuel do that hop in his front foot with every pass he throws?...or just the ones ESPN shows. I would say I look forward to seeing if this is true in the coming season, but I'm not sure the Bills have a nationally televised game.

Geno Smith got his feelings hurt, but that guy can play. Picking Manuel in the first round stroked his ego, but that guy has lots of mechanical issues to fix in his throwing motion. Good luck Buffalo

Watch his game vs Clemson. Dude has talent just needs to become more consistent.

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 16:05
Also EJ has a butt load of weapons now. Stevie Johnson , TJ Graham (4.30) are back at WR. CJ Spiller (4.25) and Fred Jackson at RB.
Round 2 we took Jr. WR Robert Woods from USC , 4.42 speed
Round 3 Texas WR Marquise Goodwin, Bills scout had hand time of 4.17 and 4.19 wow.
Then we got DaRick Rogers as a UDFA, 1st round talent but failed 3 drug test at TEN and kicked off team.
No doubt EJ has a way to go but he's got weapons now.

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 16:31
Prove it and Mike Mayock had him as his #2 QB. Also read somewhere Philly was looking to move into the back end of R1 for EJ. Now if they did that all the "experts" would be saying "omg love it Chip knows what he is doing" but since its the Bills "they know nothing and should have took someone else"
should have took Geno? Well he went all the way to 33. next, Nassib, 4th round. Next, Barkley? 4th round. Glennon? 3rd.

All the Qbs were there at 16, they took their highest rated one with the most upside.

You are clearly a FSU fan or a Bills fan (if not both). I watched EJ play a ton in college and thought he was mediocre at best. I didn't find him that elusive or accurate. On top of that, he was playing in one of the worst conferences in college football.

The Jets were desperate for a QB for obvious reasons, so they reached for Geno Smith. I'm not a Geno fan, either. At least they weren't dumb enough to take him in the 1st round.

You truly believe someone else was going to grab EJ Manuel in the 1st round? Not a freaking chance. That alone means they should have moved down to grab him. You can't argue that. I don't think he was a 2nd round guy. I can see him as a third round guy.... maybe. Personally, I think he's out of the league in 2-3 years if not sooner.

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 16:37
Kid won't last 3 yrs in NFL. Teams took him off board dude to his toe injury.

Toe injury.... :rofl::rofl:

Dude, you ever heard of a guy named Adrian Peterson? You know, the guy who tore his ACL and came back the next season and almost broke the single season rushing record. Or perhaps you have heard of Frank Gore and his horrific knee injury suffered in college? And you are acting like a toe injury is going to destroy Lacy's career?

Lacy had toe fusion surgery last year and rushed for 1,300 yards. Didn't seem to bother him. Good luck finding a guy that has played a physical game like football without any injuries.

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 16:53
Toe injury.... :rofl::rofl:

Dude, you ever heard of a guy named Adrian Peterson? You know, the guy who tore his ACL and came back the next season and almost broke the single season rushing record. Or perhaps you have heard of Frank Gore and his horrific knee injury suffered in college? And you are acting like a toe injury is going to destroy Lacy's career?

Lacy had toe fusion surgery last year and rushed for 1,300 yards. Didn't seem to bother him. Good luck finding a guy that has played a physical game like football without any injuries.

Heard of Willis McGahee he torn up his knee and played well. (Look at me I can name drop too I must be smart!)

A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized. Apr 28 - 1:50 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 17:05
You are clearly a FSU fan or a Bills fan (if not both). I watched EJ play a ton in college and thought he was mediocre at best. I didn't find him that elusive or accurate. On top of that, he was playing in one of the worst conferences in college football.

The Jets were desperate for a QB for obvious reasons, so they reached for Geno Smith. I'm not a Geno fan, either. At least they weren't dumb enough to take him in the 1st round.

You truly believe someone else was going to grab EJ Manuel in the 1st round? Not a freaking chance. That alone means they should have moved down to grab him. You can't argue that. I don't think he was a 2nd round guy. I can see him as a third round guy.... maybe. Personally, I think he's out of the league in 2-3 years if not sooner.

So 68% (2012) completion percentage isn't accurate. Okay.

Combine top QB in 40, vert jump, broad jump, 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle, so while he many not be a make you miss guy he is the most athletic QB hands down.

Jets are going to kill any chance Geno has instead of surrounding him with players they drafted a CB and DT R1.

Yes I think Philly would have took him with their 2nd or move up into late 1 to get him. And they did trade down from 8 to 16. You think he was a 3rd, let me ask you how many game tapes of EJ did you study? What about the other QBs in this draft?

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 17:13
Heard of Willis McGahee he torn up his knee and played well. (Look at me I can name drop too I must be smart!)

A team source tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Steelers "wouldn't touch" new Packers RB Eddie Lacy because his big toe "had been fused."
The Steelers were viewed as an ideal landing spot for Lacy because of their need at running back, but he apparently wasn't even a consideration. Two days removed from his surprising slide, we're starting to get a pretty good idea of why Lacy fell. His attitude turned teams off, but his 2012 toe/foot operation turned out to be a bigger concern than the draft community ever realized. Apr 28 - 1:50 PM
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Big deal.. that the Steelers passed on him due to a toe concern. How many teams passed on Frank Gore due to his knee injury? That was my point. How many of those teams wish they hadn't passed on Gore due to his injury?

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 17:27
So 68% (2012) completion percentage isn't accurate. Okay.

Combine top QB in 40, vert jump, broad jump, 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle, so while he many not be a make you miss guy he is the most athletic QB hands down.

Jets are going to kill any chance Geno has instead of surrounding him with players they drafted a CB and DT R1.

Yes I think Philly would have took him with their 2nd or move up into late 1 to get him. And they did trade down from 8 to 16. You think he was a 3rd, let me ask you how many game tapes of EJ did you study? What about the other QBs in this draft?

Colt Brennan had high completion numbers, too. In fact, he had 67.9% completion ratio. How did that work out?

Additionally, combine numbers doesn't equal automatic NFL star. Ever heard of Vernon Gholston, Matt Jones, Darius Heyward- Bey? Just to name a few. They all had great combine numbers, but weren't great players. Most were awful players. You can't just go by combine numbers.Heck, I bet EJ outperformed Tom Brady's combine numbers... who would you take???

In my opinion, smart organizations try to gamble with their later picks not their 1st rounders. First round picks are hard to come by and there is such elite talent at these spots. Blowing a 1st round selection can cripple your team for years. EJ Manuel could have been had much later if you ask almost any scout.

As I mentioned earlier, you sound like you have an agenda. Any chance you're either an EJ fan, FSU fan, Buffalo fan? I'm objective in all of this; I have no axe to grind. I just know a bad pick when I see one and this one was dumb on so many levels.

Old School
04-28-2013, 17:51
Bills are looking for this year's Russell Wilson.

The Packers did well.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 18:09
Colt Brennan had high completion numbers, too. In fact, he had 67.9% completion ratio. How did that work out?

Additionally, combine numbers doesn't equal automatic NFL star. Ever heard of Vernon Gholston, Matt Jones, Darius Heyward- Bey? Just to name a few. They all had great combine numbers, but weren't great players. Most were awful players. You can't just go by combine numbers.Heck, I bet EJ outperformed Tom Brady's combine numbers... who would you take???

In my opinion, smart organizations try to gamble with their later picks not their 1st rounders. First round picks are hard to come by and there is such elite talent at these spots. Blowing a 1st round selection can cripple your team for years. EJ Manuel could have been had much later if you ask almost any scout.

As I mentioned earlier, you sound like you have an agenda. Any chance you're either an EJ fan, FSU fan, Buffalo fan? I'm objective in all of this; I have no axe to grind. I just know a bad pick when I see one and this one was dumb on so many levels.

you say he isn't accurate, I give you stat to say he is, you give me a guy who played in a air it out offense in Hawaii like 5+ years ago to show what exactly?

No **** but ever hear of Chris Johnson though? Combine numbers are just to show how athletic he is not how good of a football player. He is the most athletic QB in this draft look at the numbers. Tom Brady also sat behind Drew Bledsoe (omg i can name drop too) and learned from a fHOF and became better.

Again no prof do you have he wouldn't have been picked late 1 or early 2. "If you ask any scout" I am sure you mean "draftnik" aka wanna be scouts on the internet who loved Barkely and Nassib over EJ yet teams passed on them for 3 and a half rounds. I mean if you do know real scouts thats cool, but I doubt it.

robbcayman
04-28-2013, 18:30
you say he isn't accurate, I give you stat to say he is, you give me a guy who played in a air it out offense in Hawaii like 5+ years ago to show what exactly?

No **** but ever hear of Chris Johnson though? Combine numbers are just to show how athletic he is not how good of a football player. He is the most athletic QB in this draft look at the numbers. Tom Brady also sat behind Drew Bledsoe (omg i can name drop too) and learned from a fHOF and became better.

Again no prof do you have he wouldn't have been picked late 1 or early 2. "If you ask any scout" I am sure you mean "draftnik" aka wanna be scouts on the internet who loved Barkely and Nassib over EJ yet teams passed on them for 3 and a half rounds. I mean if you do know real scouts thats cool, but I doubt it.

You're missing the point. You're so entrenched in your love for the guy that nothing will shake you. As for the combine, sure some guys have performed well and went on to have great careers. Other guys have performed well and sucked. My point was a good combine hardly equates to NFL success.

EJ Manuel played in a soft league. He had good numbers against bad teams. Since you don't think it was a bad draft move what exactly are you expecting out of EJ?

Most scouts agreed this was a bad draft class for QB's. Time will tell if he is as bad of a pick as most think. Like I said, I don't think he will do anything in the league. I could be wrong and if I am I will admit it. I hope you're willing to do the same.

daddysnapmuffins
04-29-2013, 07:48
Three Noles in the first round, five in the first 42 picks. Eleven drafted overall. Everybody knows Jimbo makes a hell of a product in Tallahassee. Like my man 50 says, let the haters hate and watch the money pile up. Zoooooo!

daddysnapmuffins
04-29-2013, 07:54
EJ Manuel played in a soft league. He had good numbers against bad teams.

Must be one of those guys he hates on every "conference" not named the SEC. The BIG10 and Pac12 had outstanding years. Maybe 1 or 2 good teams per. PAC's golden team USC had like what 7 losses. Yeah Oregon was good and that was it. People that hate on the ACC and not the other BCS conferences such as BIG 10 and 12, PAC12, BIG EAST need to up their game. All non SEC conferences have around two teams that are good every year and the rest are average. EJ made a lot happen on his own and won games. He is extremely coachable, a good kid, and an excellent leader. He has all the physical tools. He's a speciman, just needs to be coached up. He was much, much better than Josh Freeman in college and he's doing fine.

He lost 2 games last year, one of which by 1 point and the other by 11 to a team that finished #4. He also won the ACC and the Orange Bowl.

heyTJ
04-29-2013, 08:18
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/63943/what-proscons-come-with-geno-smith

"Smith was particularly effective on short passes. He attempted half of his passes within five yards of the line of scrimmage, including an AQ-high 112 screen passes last season."

Even Tim Tebow would have a good accuracy rating throwing the ball like this.

heyTJ
04-29-2013, 08:20
IMHO, I think the best QB in this draft was Matt Barkley.

robbcayman
04-29-2013, 08:21
Must be one of those guys he hates on every "conference" not named the SEC. The BIG10 and Pac12 had outstanding years. Maybe 1 or 2 good teams per. PAC's golden team USC had like what 7 losses. Yeah Oregon was good and that was it. People that hate on the ACC and not the other BCS conferences such as BIG 10 and 12, PAC12, BIG EAST need to up their game. All non SEC conferences have around two teams that are good every year and the rest are average. EJ made a lot happen on his own and won games. He is extremely coachable, a good kid, and an excellent leader. He has all the physical tools. He's a speciman, just needs to be coached up. He was much, much better than Josh Freeman in college and he's doing fine.

He lost 2 games last year, one of which by 1 point and the other by 11 to a team that finished #4. He also won the ACC and the Orange Bowl.

I noticed you're from Tampa... guessing you're an FSU fan. Especially since you bragged about 3 Noles being taken. Big deal, they beat Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl who everyone said may have been the worst team to ever play in a BCS game... and it was close most of the game. :wavey:

I think the ACC is one of the worst conferences in college football. So, to say you played well against bad teams doesn't mean squat.

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Murderers row.... :rofl:

daddysnapmuffins
04-29-2013, 08:47
Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Murderers row.... :rofl:

I think you are missing my point in part. I am not saying the ACC=the NFC South, but they aren't much better or worse than the other conferences I've mentioned but thanks for listing the ACC teams I had no idea who was in the conference. You also forget that FSU plays Florida every year and also schedules other good out of conference opponents when possible. Last year they were supposed to Have WVU week 2 who was preseason top 12 ish I believe but WVU crapped out on that because they jumped conferences and left FSU in a postion where they could not schedule a legit team. Not their fault. Also, you listed those teams and punctuated with that awesome emote like there were no good teams. Clemson and VT are very good teams. VT had a down year. Clemson however had 2 losses one of which was to FSU. They also beat 2 SEC teams including LSU in a bowl game. Miami hasn't been on top in awhile but they still have elite talent. I could list the BIG 10 and mock their teams too. Ohio State and nobody else. Oh, Michigan has had 2 decent seasons in the last 12 years. it's Ohio State then whoever else has the most wins. Same with the PAC12. usually USC, and now Oregon then whatever. Standford will fade again in the post Luck era. I actually thing the BIG 12 is the most under-rated conference. You sound like the type of guy who thought Tebow was a steal in the first round because he did it in a "real" conference.

I'm not sure why you're hating on EJ so much. You didn't make a lot of objective points other than he played a "weak" schedule. I don't think you would be talking this trash if Geno went in his spot. Reason being you're the typical trash football fan he just likes flash and can't comprehend intangibles. The kind of guy if you were an NFL GM would big rb's, qb's, and wr's in every 1st round and scoff at the guy who drafted a lineman. Moreover, why aren't you hating on the 1st pick in this years draft? He was just beating up on those crummy MAC DE's.

silentpoet
04-29-2013, 16:58
IMHO, I think the best QB in this draft was Matt Barkley.

You misspelled Tyler Wilson.:tongueout:

Sadly I don't really think there was a best QB this year. Maybe a least worst QB.

robbcayman
04-29-2013, 18:09
I think you are missing my point in part. I am not saying the ACC=the NFC South, but they aren't much better or worse than the other conferences I've mentioned but thanks for listing the ACC teams I had no idea who was in the conference. You also forget that FSU plays Florida every year and also schedules other good out of conference opponents when possible. Last year they were supposed to Have WVU week 2 who was preseason top 12 ish I believe but WVU crapped out on that because they jumped conferences and left FSU in a postion where they could not schedule a legit team. Not their fault. Also, you listed those teams and punctuated with that awesome emote like there were no good teams. Clemson and VT are very good teams. VT had a down year. Clemson however had 2 losses one of which was to FSU. They also beat 2 SEC teams including LSU in a bowl game. Miami hasn't been on top in awhile but they still have elite talent. I could list the BIG 10 and mock their teams too. Ohio State and nobody else. Oh, Michigan has had 2 decent seasons in the last 12 years. it's Ohio State then whoever else has the most wins. Same with the PAC12. usually USC, and now Oregon then whatever. Standford will fade again in the post Luck era. I actually thing the BIG 12 is the most under-rated conference. You sound like the type of guy who thought Tebow was a steal in the first round because he did it in a "real" conference.

I'm not sure why you're hating on EJ so much. You didn't make a lot of objective points other than he played a "weak" schedule. I don't think you would be talking this trash if Geno went in his spot. Reason being you're the typical trash football fan he just likes flash and can't comprehend intangibles. The kind of guy if you were an NFL GM would big rb's, qb's, and wr's in every 1st round and scoff at the guy who drafted a lineman. Moreover, why aren't you hating on the 1st pick in this years draft? He was just beating up on those crummy MAC DE's.

I already said I wasn't a Geno Smith fan, either. In fact, I didn't see any QB's that were worthy of a 1st round pick. I'm not a Tim Tebow believer, but I think he's more of a gamer than EJ. Tebow's more of a one trick pony and the Patriots exposed him in that playoff series. Load the box and force Tebow to beat you with his arm... he couldn't do it. Tebow was a great college player, but his game doesn't transition to the NFL.

As for Eric Fisher, he has a lot of the skill sets you look for, but I would have picked Joeckel for the very reason he has played against big physical guys week in and week out. That doesn't mean Fisher won't be a great player, but there is a bigger risk in taking him.

EJ Manuel didn't wow mean against bad to mediocre competition. We disagree and that's fine. I don't see him as being worthy of a 1st round pick, but time will tell.

robbcayman
04-29-2013, 18:10
You misspelled Tyler Wilson.:tongueout:

Sadly I don't really think there was a best QB this year. Maybe a least worst QB.

Agreed!!!