Gangster Squad? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gangster Squad?

adamg01
04-26-2013, 21:42
In a past year of sequels, remakes, and a gross lack of originality. You could say it was a horrible year for movies much like 2011. Gangster Squad looked like it had potential and I was looking forward to it to hit DVD.

I had a suspicion that it could be another well beyond over the top "Hollywooded" out waste of life. Well, I rented it tonight and my suspicion was spot on in my eyes. I will give you an idea of my kind of action movies that I am into so we can see if we are on the same page. I loved Departed, Heat (obviously), The Town, Street Kings was decent, LA Confidential (phenomenal), and most recently End of Watch which was a much better movie than this farce.

To end my review , if you like a way over the top shooter movie that is so predictable it is almost comical, this is for you!

Pawcatch@aol.co
04-26-2013, 22:04
In a past year of sequels, remakes, and a gross lack of originality. You could say it was a horrible year for movies much like 2011. Gangster Squad looked like it had potential and I was looking forward to it to hit DVD.

I had a suspicion that it could be another well beyond over the top "Hollywooded" out waste of life. Well, I rented it tonight and my suspicion was spot on in my eyes. I will give you an idea of my kind of action movies that I am into so we can see if we are on the same page. I loved Departed, Heat (obviously), The Town, Street Kings was decent, LA Confidential (phenomenal), and most recently End of Watch which was a much better movie than this farce.

To end my review , if you like a way over the top shooter movie that is so predictable it is almost comical, this is for you!

That marxist scumbag Penn said Nick Cage wasn't really an actor anymore because he starred in action movies,yet it's o.k. for Penn to be in crap like this.

Of couse,hypocrisy is standard for Penn.
I have more respect for Richard Kulinski than I do Penn.

ChiefWPD
04-26-2013, 22:08
I made the mistake of seeing this movie at a theater. Mindless BS. Plot is just too stupid to discuss.

fnfalman
04-26-2013, 22:10
When was the last time you people saw good displays of Thompsons, MP40s, BAR, Lewis Gun in the movies?

It ain't freakin' Citizen Kane. Sit back and enjoy the shooting scenes.

Pawcatch@aol.co
04-26-2013, 22:17
When was the last time you people saw good displays of Thompsons, MP40s, BAR, Lewis Gun in the movies?

It ain't freakin' Citizen Kane. Sit back and enjoy the shooting scenes.

Public Enemies had Thompsons and BARs,as well as firearms like the Remington model 8 and 1907 Winchester.

MP40s are far more common in the cinema than 1907 Winchesters.

adamg01
04-27-2013, 09:08
Public Enemies had Thompsons and BARs,as well as firearms like the Remington model 8 and 1907 Winchester.

Not to mention a better storyline. I wasn't a big fan of that movie either but it was a lot better than this one.

mr00jimbo
04-27-2013, 09:41
Gangster Squad was cheesy as hell, but I guess that was the point. Lots of 1911s with the hammer down, which always annoys me in movies!

jakebrake
04-27-2013, 09:42
the previews made it look unwatchable. i've got better things to do with my time.

WarCry
04-27-2013, 10:33
I just want to point out what I see as a flaw in your logic:

Aside from the sentence-fragment issues, you complain that Hollywood doesn't make anything original, just remakes and sequels, etc. Yet when you see a movie that has potential, you sit at home and wait for it to come out on DVD.

Movie studios are out to make money. That's a simple fact. Sequels and remakes are making them money. When something original comes along, people think "That looks interesting, but it's an unknown variable, so I'll wait and save my money for something I already know I'll like". So original movies fail at the box office, leading to fewer of them being made.

You are actually ASKING studios to keep making sequels and remakes. You're telling them - through your wallet - that you're not willing to pay them for original ideas.

That's all. Carry on.

fnfalman
04-27-2013, 11:23

Another disappointing movie.

Drain You
04-27-2013, 12:25
Directv has a special right now, watch Gangster Squad on PPV and the next movie is free. Just for the next 2 days and idk when you have to watch the 2nd movie.

Thinking about doing it here soon while waiting on some JB weld to set overnight.

Edit: never mind they want you to buy 1 movie and then wait 8-10 weeks for a coupon to come snail mail, you buy 2nd movie and mail it off and you might get credited. I've played this game before. Pass.

WarCry
05-05-2013, 09:45
So I just finished watching this movie. I love most 20s, 30s, 40s type gangster movies, and I really wanted to like this one, but...honestly? It felt like what you might get if Christopher Nolan was asked to remake Dick Tracy.

Adjuster
05-05-2013, 10:49
Watched it last night. Mindless action flick. I enjoyed it to that end.

/