Dipstick Quacks anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick Quacks anyone?

Pythonman
04-26-2013, 23:21
I recently went to a sleep clinic and did a sleep study because I have sleep apnea. When I was done with the horrible ordeal they told me that if I tested positive I would have to do the test all over again, this time with a CPAP mask/machine on. I told them no way. Anyhow, to make a long story short, THREE months later I see the sleep MD (quack in question or QIQ) and he tells me I'm a ticking timebomb based on VERY suspicious test results. I say very suspicious because I know for a fact I was so miserable I only slept 45 minutes, between 2:45am and 3:30am and yet he said I slept the whole six hours and averaged 80 apnea episodes per hour and that my oxygen level went to 70%. I said well, give me the machine for crying out loud and he's saying insurance wont pay unless I do the second sleep study and I say well no way I'm going through that torture again and he says...... "Well if you're not going to do the test then I feel obligated to call your employer and have them remove you from your job because it's not safe" To which I say "Well, then I would be obligated to call a lawyer and sue your ass!" And then my wife says "So you mean to tell me that unless he agrees to another test you're going to resort to extortion against him by threatening his livelihood?" Should I sue the sorry SOB for making the threat to ruin me based on one lame, DOCTORED up test that doesn't tell crap about my true condition and who knows zero about my full past work or health history? Has anyone else even heard of such lame quackery? I mean really I hope he does call my employer. If it's so urgent that I be removed from my job then why did the quack not tell me the perils that await me three months ago? Bastard, couldn't scare me into another test with his phonied up sleep study results so he tries terrorizing me, I've never heard of anything so lame.

Resqu2
04-27-2013, 04:49
May I ask what was so bad about the test? Btw I'm not saying you should have another one and I would be mad enough to consider suing him also.

faawrenchbndr
04-27-2013, 05:04
Sue his arse and contact the Medical Board

Geezer Glide
04-27-2013, 05:20
You are obviously smarter than the doctor. You do the sleep study and argue with the results. Why did you even bother?

Bill Keith
04-27-2013, 05:30
You have to have the second study done, all wired up etc with the CPAP machine in place to calibrate and see if it is controlling the apnea. It is not a plug and play device, but has to be adjusted, telemetry performed and data scrutinized by a Professional (ie: Doctor) to see if the apnea is under control.
The doctor is right, untreated sleep apnea is very debilitating and you are a safety risk due to fatigue/foggy thinking.
You have a computer, just google untreated sleep apnea, read it, then see if you want to take the risks before undertaking a legal journey that you will most probably lose:wavey:

czsmithGT
04-27-2013, 06:27
Does your job require a medical certificate as for example DOT CMV certification? Untreated sleep apnea could prevent you from getting the certificate. If not, I don't know about the legality of a doctor just calling your employer out of the blue and telling them you are not safe to do your job. Nevertheless, for your own health and well-being, since you know you have sleep apnea you should get it properly treated.

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 06:34
You are obviously smarter than the doctor. You do the sleep study and argue with the results. Why did you even bother?

I probably am smarter than this doctor. Truth is yes I know I have apnea and need the machine. I also know 4 out of 5 people who did the first sleep study and got the machine without the second test who would under no circumstances go through that hell a second time. One of these people is my old man. The only reason I put up with listening to this particular doctor is that my primary physicians nurse practitioner substitute-Dr. wannabe assured me she had talked to the sleep clinic quack and that I would be able to get my machine and get a setup without doing the whole 40 electrodes plugged into the head neck chest legs and arms thing and be good to go. But, that was not the case and instead I got my job threatened. I plan on completing the second study somewhere else as I just plain don't trust the outfit that I was sent to the first time. It's not just the Dr. is an idiot, the whole staff I'd dealt with there was rude, misleading and incompetent as far as I could tell and very unprofessional overall. And I have plenty of experience with competent medical professionals to guide me in my description of this place. I myself worked in Radiation Therapy for over six years at a local hospital so even with just that experience I'm fairly confident I know a sham setup when I see one and sham test results that don't jive with reality.

DaverZ
04-27-2013, 06:36
lol,i had both but the funny part is that i really could'nt sleep much due to being in a strange place with all of that crap connected to me

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 06:43
Does your job require a medical certificate as for example DOT CMV certification? Untreated sleep apnea could prevent you from getting the certificate. If not, I don't know about the legality of a doctor just calling your employer out of the blue and telling them you are not safe to do your job. Nevertheless, for your own health and well-being, since you know you have sleep apnea you should get it properly treated.

Thank you and no, I'm not required to have a medical certification or a yearly physical as would be required with a DOT or CDL liscensing or anything like that. Not only that but I perform at a very high level on the job compared to most of my coworkers and have never fell asleep in the middle of my work. I've had this apnea for probably 12yrs and it's something I've decided to deal with on account of I've heard the CPAP and BIPAP machines do help one get a good nights rest. It turns out I probably will end up doing both tests over at a competent facility just to make sure it's being done correctly. I'm going to have to argue for this with my insurance now and make sure they will pay for the redo of the first test.

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 06:50
lol,i had both but the funny part is that i really could'nt sleep much due to being in a strange place with all of that crap connected to me

Aint that the truth. It's like they go out of their way to make you as miserable as possible, so you get as little actual sleep as possible to skew the test results in their favor and then try to scare you into thinking you're going to die next week if they dont save you with their technological wizardry. Only in my case the doctor at the facility I went to apparently only just checked my test results eight weeks after I took the test and scheduled me for an emergency visit that had to be done right away and yet I had to wait an additional month to go to. Rude, condescending staff... aarrggg!:steamed:

badge315
04-27-2013, 06:52
Medical billing fraud and incompetent medical care are genuine concerns, but do you realize that you tend to undermine your own credibility by repeatedly using terms like "quack" and "wannabe" when refering to medical professionals with whom you disagree?

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 06:54
May I ask what was so bad about the test? Btw I'm not saying you should have another one and I would be mad enough to consider suing him also.

Pictures tell all:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=11&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=w6BG9fdKx88d4vuRErQfPQ&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=sleep+study&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM&biw=1253&bih=644&wrapid=tljp1367067152054014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Gcp7UeGwFYuqqQGLg4CwAw

g29andy
04-27-2013, 06:57
Then see a different sleep md. Take better care of yourself by exercising, dieting, and losing weight. That is your responsibility, not some idiot doctor.

Of course, you know that already since you work in health care.

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 07:00
Medical billing fraud and incompetent medical care are genuine concerns, but do you realize that you tend to undermine your own credibility by repeatedly using terms like "quack" and "wannabe" when refering to medical professionals with whom you disagree?

It's a possibility but then again, when most people use the term quack in reference to a medical professional it's because they have had an unpleasant experience with them or they didn't agree with them. Same for wannabe's.:cool:

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 07:22
Then see a different sleep md. Take better care of yourself by exercising, dieting, and losing weight. That is your responsibility, not some idiot doctor.

Of course, you know that already since you work in health care.

Thanks and I got out of the healthcare business back in the late 1990s. Taking care of loved ones, seeing truly world class level physicians at the Mayo Clinic and elsewhere since that time have really exposed me to the level of professionalism in healthcare I wish everyone could experience. Trust me, I knew this guy at the sleep center wasn't one of those type of physicians before I saw him based upon how I was "handled" by his poorly trained staff. I had no desire to see him and wanted my primary care Dr. (whom I trust implicitly when he's not doing peace work in other countries) to send me somewhere else. But it was his subbing nurse practitioner lady who assured me she had everything taken care of, had greased the wheels to get me a CPAP machine all by herself and all I had to do was see the *quack* I didn't want to see. Total waste of my time. And the thing is his tactic of scaring me with my test results was entirely predictable, he scored 100% and met every single expectation I thought he would have. Funny thing is, he almost got me back into the sleep center for the second test as I'd finally just about relented and was going to agree and just get the damn test over with and then the SOB(!!) threw out the part about threatening my job for good measure. Well, that was exceeding my expectations by a rather alarming margin. Instead of slowly but surely turning sympathetic to his concern for my health and my desire to do whatever (mostly for my wifes sake who has to listen to me snore all night) as I'd started to do he abruptly hit me with the threat to my job and I knew right then and there the guy was dirty, a rotten bastard and a fool. I don't know what kind of people this Dr. is used to dealing with but I'm not some unschooled third grader who gets intimidated easily. It's usually me that does the intimidating.

Sorry for the long rant. It's really turned into me vs the quacks when really most of you people who've responded to the thread are totally correct, I need to have the study finished or repeated somewhere more trustworthy and I need to take better care of myself which, I'm doing my best. Believe me. Thanks for all the words everyone, I mean it!

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 07:28
Here's a thought - pay cash for your CPAP. You want the ins co to pay, you have to play by their rules. Don't blame the doc. He's just following the rules you agreed to when you took the insurance.

Seems for 1500, you could have this all cleared up by Wednesday.

ChallengerSRT
04-27-2013, 07:29
I had a sleep study done at a local hospital clinic and was diagnosed with sleep apnea (over 130 episodes throughout the night). They were able to have someone come over within a few days to hook me up to a CPAP machine. THAT experience wearing the mask for one night was horrible. The machine was to loud, I was always aware of it's presence. The mask fit so tightly that it actually bruised my nose. Obviously, it was not fitted right, but that one night experience was enough for me. I called the people that issued it and they took it away.
The better approach was for me to begin dieting which helped decrease obstruction of the airway (lost 28 lbs. so far and need to lose 10 lbs. more). I agree with the exercise too, even if it's just walking. Another important way to control apnea is to sleep on your sides. I flip from one side over to the other which helps a lot. I'm still not there yet, but my final act will be to have an surgery done, if that's what it takes.
If I were you, I'd contact your insurance company to see what their policy and procedure requires for you to get what you need. The day I'm hooked up to that damned CPAP machine again is the day I'm jumping out of an airplane without a parachute.

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 07:52
I had a sleep study done at a local hospital clinic and was diagnosed with sleep apnea (over 130 episodes throughout the night). They were able to have someone come over within a few days to hook me up to a CPAP machine. THAT experience wearing the mask for one night was horrible. The machine was to loud, I was always aware of it's presence. The mask fit so tightly that it actually bruised my nose. Obviously, it was not fitted right, but that one night experience was enough for me. I called the people that issued it and they took it away.
The better approach was for me to begin dieting which helped decrease obstruction of the airway (lost 28 lbs. so far and need to lose 10 lbs. more). I agree with the exercise too, even if it's just walking. Another important way to control apnea is to sleep on your sides. I flip from one side over to the other which helps a lot. I'm still not there yet, but my final act will be to have an surgery done, if that's what it takes.
If I were you, I'd contact your insurance company to see what their policy and procedure requires for you to get what you need. The day I'm hooked up to that damned CPAP machine again is the day I'm jumping out of an airplane without a parachute.

You have my sympathies brother! It's true about sleeping on your sides. I do just fine sleeping on my sides. But hooked up to all the electrodes and chest and belly bands and wrist and finger doo hicky's....there was no way in hell to sleep on my sides! That's sure to make certain you're sleep study results are far worse than what you'd experience on the average night at home? And I'd thought about just buying the machine and could probably afford it but the Dr. wasn't about to write a script for something he's not going to get any $$$$ out of. Although once my wife hit him with the word "extortion" he was all to happy to be rid of me altogether and recommend another clinic to me if I wanted the study done elsewhere! That was funny, the look on the dudes face when his bluff had been called and charges of extortion leveled. Almost forgot about that. :rofl:

F14Scott
04-27-2013, 08:39
One of my closest friends, a person I have spent hundreds of hours with/gone on vacations with/ known for over ten years, is the medical director of the sleep disorder center at a major metropolitan hospital. She's a board certified neurologist, lectures all over the country on sleep medicine, and is one of the smartest people I know.

As she was starting up her clinic at the hospital ten years ago, and knowing I snored like a chainsaw, I underwent the same sleep tests you did, twice, once before the CPAP and once, after. She showed me the tapes of myself, coupled simultaneously with the readings from all the sensors.

I am absolutely convinced that sleep apnea exists, that I have it, and that the science behind it and its treatments is real.

http://www.osfsaintfrancis.org/physicians/profile/736/sarah-n-zallek-md/

ERASER
04-27-2013, 08:44
I wonder if there's something hiding in that 2,700+ page Obamacare law that will require your doctor to "rat you out" to the Feds in situations such as this?

Won't he Feds will have all of your medical records?

Could they compel your doctor (or mine) to tell them if you or I are, or ever were, on depression meds, etc. which "could" cause you or me to be a "danger"?

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 08:50
One of my closest friends, a person I have spent hundreds of hours with/gone on vacations with/ known for over ten years, is the medical director of the sleep disorder center at a major metropolitan hospital. She's a board certified neurologist, lectures all over the country on sleep medicine, and is one of the smartest people I know.

As she was starting up her clinic at the hospital ten years ago, and knowing I snored like a chainsaw, I underwent the same sleep tests you did, twice, once before the CPAP and once, after. She showed me the tapes of myself, coupled simultaneously with the readings from all the sensors.

I am absolutely convinced that sleep apnea exists, that I have it, and that the science behind it and its treatments is real.

http://www.osfsaintfrancis.org/physicians/profile/736/sarah-n-zallek-md/

I have no doubt in my mind that the clinic and the staff/Dr. I went to are not even typical of other sleep centers. Can't be. I will gladly do the WHOLE thing over again at a properly run facility as I do wish to give myself the best fighting chance at not dying of a stroke, enlarged heart or suffocation, if possible. Believe me.

podwich
04-27-2013, 08:58
It's incredibly highly doubtful you'd get anywhere by trying to sue the doc. It's a waste of everyone's time and money to try. (What are you going to try to sue for? Malpractice? Good luck with that.)

You were recorded throughout the night. You "know" you only slept 45 minutes. Well, I guess you could go to the recording for the true story.

I don't know what you do for work, but sleep apnea can definitely lead to daytime hypersomnolence and falling asleep suddenly. Depending on what you do, that could kill someone. I don't blame the doc for wanting to inform your employer that you may be a danger--if you do fall asleep and kill someone, he could have some liability there.

I sure hope your interaction with the doc wasn't the same as your posting here. I can't imagine that would have gone well. I highly doubt dealing with you would have been worth the money he made.

podwich
04-27-2013, 09:01
Could they compel your doctor (or mine) to tell them if you or I are, or ever were, on depression meds, etc. which "could" cause you or me to be a "danger"?

Absolutely. Heck, they already can if you have government "insurance". If they're paying for meds and paying for doctor's visits already, how could they not know?

2@low8
04-27-2013, 09:10
You now have a medical record that you have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Feel free to discontinue the test and do not get the machine. Also feel free to be uninsurable in the future because you will not seek appropriate treatment. For life and disability you are currently a high risk (read high cost) insurance patient. You really have no choice at this point but to follow through.

And no, you won't be able to hide it from the insurance company. Even if you do, it is called fraud and you won't get any benefits anyway.

Go ahead, get the test, geez, they aren't bad you sleep with some electrodes hooked up - big deal. Let the ins co pay for most of the machine. My current machine as 27,000 hours on it. Won't go anywhere overnight without it.

NDCent
04-27-2013, 09:12
Everyone I know that takes the tests gets a mask, just wait until this summer and pick up a few at the yard sales.

Giddyupgo55
04-27-2013, 09:26
I went through a sleep study a few years back, and half way through the night they came in and hooked me up to a machine. What a difference it made the next day. Two weeks later I had a machine. Weight can be part of the problem, but for me I was having problems even as a child. Just didn't know what it was back then. What finally made me go in was I was having trouble staying awake driving to work which was only 17 miles from home.

Jeremy_K
04-27-2013, 09:46
I have buddy who almost got kicked out of the AF Reserves for being on CPAP. Their case was that he could be deployed to a place without power for the machine. I don't know what he did to fight it but he didn't end up getting kicked out. I did the second sleep test but I had no idea it was required by my insurance. I just figured it was part of the process and went through the torture. If I were you I'd find a different sleep doctor. They now have a test you can bring home with you and hook up yourself. I had to have the pressure adjusted on my original CPAP. They sent me home with an "auto titration" CPAP which monitored my breathing and adjusted accordingly. It told the doc what pressure worked best for me.

Pawcatch@aol.co
04-27-2013, 10:00
This doctor was threatening his life and livelihood.
I think "stand your ground" should apply here.

soflasmg
04-27-2013, 10:03
Sleep apnea will kill you.

Suck it up and do what doc asks.

podwich
04-27-2013, 10:19

Draw down?

pesticidal
04-27-2013, 10:35
You have to have the second study done, all wired up etc with the CPAP machine in place to calibrate and see if it is controlling the apnea. It is not a plug and play device, but has to be adjusted, telemetry performed and data scrutinized by a Professional (ie: Doctor) to see if the apnea is under control.
The doctor is right, untreated sleep apnea is very debilitating and you are a safety risk due to fatigue/foggy thinking.
You have a computer, just google untreated sleep apnea, read it, then see if you want to take the risks before undertaking a legal journey that you will most probably lose:wavey:

They could have done that all in the same night, as I did. My machine is plug and play, it automatically adjusts airflow through the night.

ray9898
04-27-2013, 10:37
LOL...I go for a test and when it turns up positive the doctor is a "quack".

erick73
04-27-2013, 11:32
I'm going through something similar.
I went in for the sleep study, found I have obstructive sleep apnea. I told my dr. to give me a prescription for the machine (because it's against the law to buy it without a prescription).
Dr. says no, I have to have a 2nd sleep study done mainly to adjust/calibrate the machine. I tell her new machines are APAP so they don't need to be calibrated. She says that's not true so reluctantly I agree to 2nd sleep study.
Well, my insurance denied the 2nd sleep study citing that OSA is first treated with APAP.
I'm picking it up Wednesday.
It's this one if anyone knows about these machines:

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_autoset/s9-autoset.html?nc=dealers

Pythonman
04-27-2013, 12:19
Thanks everyone. I REALLY needed to vent because this is frustrating for me. I'm calling monday to schedule test two and be done with it already. No I'm not gonna waste time suing the DR. although the thought of it made me happy for a while. Forgetting all the nonsense and just getting the test done. As one of you made me aware, the insurance already know's I have apnea now so if I don't follow through with treatment I could be jeopardizing my future insurance eligibility and health.

Jeremy_K
04-27-2013, 15:08
I'm going through something similar.
I went in for the sleep study, found I have obstructive sleep apnea. I told my dr. to give me a prescription for the machine (because it's against the law to buy it without a prescription).
Dr. says no, I have to have a 2nd sleep study done mainly to adjust/calibrate the machine. I tell her new machines are APAP so they don't need to be calibrated. She says that's not true so reluctantly I agree to 2nd sleep study.
Well, my insurance denied the 2nd sleep study citing that OSA is first treated with APAP.
I'm picking it up Wednesday.
It's this one if anyone knows about these machines:

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_autoset/s9-autoset.html?nc=dealers

I've had the ResMed S8 for a couple years. My newest sleep Dr. prescribed the S8 with auto titration when I complained of my pressure not being right. I had to rent the auto titration machine for 2 weeks. I actually had it for almost 3 months and it worked great. When I went back to my regular S8, my doc had me set it at the average pressure that the rental was using. I'd like to upgrade to an auto machine but I don't know if insurance would cover a second one.

devildog2067
04-27-2013, 15:12

If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, it's pretty damn close.

MB-G26
04-27-2013, 15:52
Pictures tell all:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=11&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=w6BG9fdKx88d4vuRErQfPQ&cp=8&gs_id=u&xhr=t&q=sleep+study&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aWM&biw=1253&bih=644&wrapid=tljp1367067152054014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Gcp7UeGwFYuqqQGLg4CwAw

You have my every empathy. NO WAY IN HELL could i ever "go to sleep" with all that connected to me head head such AT HOME - much less in some cold, white, sterilesque clinic room. (I can't sleep under quiet, familiar home conditions -some clinical setting would be out of the question.)

As far as the other aspects of the 'healthcare' (snort) aspects........

I. Hear. You.

MB-G26
04-27-2013, 15:53
If that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, it's pretty damn close.

Ima gonna guess ^^ is just missing the < sarcasm > tag.

PicardMD
04-27-2013, 17:04
It's incredibly highly doubtful you'd get anywhere by trying to sue the doc. It's a waste of everyone's time and money to try. (What are you going to try to sue for? Malpractice? Good luck with that.)

You were recorded throughout the night. You "know" you only slept 45 minutes. Well, I guess you could go to the recording for the true story.

I don't know what you do for work, but sleep apnea can definitely lead to daytime hypersomnolence and falling asleep suddenly. Depending on what you do, that could kill someone. I don't blame the doc for wanting to inform your employer that you may be a danger--if you do fall asleep and kill someone, he could have some liability there.

I sure hope your interaction with the doc wasn't the same as your posting here. I can't imagine that would have gone well. I highly doubt dealing with you would have been worth the money he made.

+1

OP,
In case you didn't know, you were hooked up to EEG (brainwave monitor). So there is a definitive and objective documentation of how long you actually slept. There is also objective documentations of how many times your O2 sat dropped and how many times you went apnic during the night. So, rather than ranting here and accusing the doctor, why don't you get a copy of the test and see for yourself? I would expect someone who has worked in the healthcare field as you claim to have would know this before coming here to rant.

Or, let me guess, you are going to claim that the doctor faked your EEG and faked your O2 sat monitoring? Really? You knew you had sleep apnea before you went in, and the test confirms it, and now you are calling it fake? Really?

And you do know that depending on what types of machine your insurance company pays for, some machines do need to be carefully calibrated and lock out, right? You do know that improperly calibrated machines may lead to barotrauma of the chest that can be fatal, right? Or did your vast experience in the healthcare field not cover this part? And if not, you are calling the doctor quack for your own lack of knowledge? Really?

THEPOPE
04-27-2013, 18:35
I have no dog in this fight, but let me ask...

Is this a Medi-Care or Medi-Caid addicted facility ? ?

If so, there's your answer....they must jump through hoops to get paid, and you are refusing to jump through....they may not get paid unless you finish their study their way....

I am out...good luck...:cool:

3rdgen40
04-27-2013, 18:38
HIPPA

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

RonS
04-27-2013, 18:40
So, how would HIPPA have applied to a disclosure of that nature to the patient's employer? Seems that would be a violation and subject to a fine.

Rabid Rabbit
04-27-2013, 18:55
After an hour of my sleep study they came and put the mask on me and determined what the correct pressure for me was. Maybe they did the first test to figure out what the problem was? I dunno but two test does sound a bit like padding the bill. Maybe you should go to a different center. The threat sounds really off the wall. All I can say is I'm a lot more active since getting the pump. Now there is some other device that doesn't involve the pump but some kind of dental device that positions your jaw to eliminate the apena try talking to a ENT.

nursetim
04-27-2013, 22:36
Nevermind already covered by others. Bien salud dude.

G29Reload
04-27-2013, 23:41
I did both tests and dont see what the problem is. It was like staying at a nice hotel with the nicest bed id ever slept in only w the electrodes which were bizarre but not painful or uncomfortable.

I was gettin bad to w 74% blood oxygen level. If youre at 70 youre going to your grave ten years early. Dont be a *****, get it done.

Pierre!
04-28-2013, 10:08
Well, the truth is everyone has sleep apnea - now we are just arguing over the severity.

I tested moderate with my sleep apnea. My wife was pushing me to get the test, and she said I stopped breathing several times during sleep. She was also involved in the 35Lb weight gain I experienced shortly after our marriage. I was the heaviest I had ever been in my life...

Fast forward six years - Heart attacks came, got the stent, buddy gave me a copy of Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (http://HeartAttackProof.com)... and I bought it hook line and sinker!

Within 90 days I had lost 30Lbs, after year I was off all medications.

My sleep apnea has all but disappeared. My energy levels are much better.

So - there are ways around many things if you look for them. I am not a fan of "additive medicine".... even though I grew up in the era of "better living through chemistry" .

Good Luck with your decision on this...

elsolo
04-28-2013, 13:18
Everyone I know that takes the tests gets a mask, just wait until this summer and pick up a few at the yard sales.

It's 100% for people I know too, everybody that takes the test requires it. I don't think the mobility scooter business has anything on CPAP machine sales and billing.

Pythonman
06-25-2013, 20:57
Well, I had the second test done about two months ago. Went fine, slept like a baby only to be woken up every so often so the tech could adjust the mask to stop air leakage against my face. I REALLY slept soundly and enjoyed the second study. Everything seemed to go so much smoother, the electrode hookup, everything. Anyhoo, I've been on my very own CPAP machine for about a month now and although I somewhat resisted/detested being strapped to a machine at first, I cant deny I'm sleeping more deeply and instead of thrashing around all night and getting up four times to pee I'm out like a light, maybe make one or two moves in bed and I don't get up till the alarm goes off now! It's unbelievable how much better this contraption has helped my sleep. I was really screwed up. Thanks for the advice all. It helped alot also.

podwich
06-25-2013, 21:01
Glad it worked out for you.

ddbtoth
06-25-2013, 21:26

Hey--you know what they call the bottom 5% of the graduating class from Med School? Doctor. It's amazing how much medical intervention people need when there is someone to write a check for everything. Love the statistic of MD's killing more through malpractice than guns do through malice. I love watching MD's get taken to court when they get sued for sexual misconduct (feeling up their patients while they are under)--they never think they will get caught because they are "DOCTORS!" Trust none of them. Alway question, and alway listen to you intuition about what they are saying. When they crew up, not only do you have to pay them money, you have to live with their mitake.

.264 magnum
06-25-2013, 21:28
It's 100% for people I know too, everybody that takes the test requires it. I don't think the mobility scooter business has anything on CPAP machine sales and billing.

Yea. We are all idiots for not being in either the apnea, scooter or wee-wee catheter business.

smokeross
06-25-2013, 21:29
You should have kept your eyes open if your weren't sleeping.

RDW
06-26-2013, 14:55
Here's a thought - pay cash for your CPAP. You want the ins co to pay, you have to play by their rules. Don't blame the doc. He's just following the rules you agreed to when you took the insurance.

Seems for 1500, you could have this all cleared up by Wednesday.
Have Sleep Apnea since 1991, and have not done a Sleep Study since. When I need a New Machine I just have My DR. write a script, and buy it online myself. :tongueout:

RDW
06-26-2013, 15:04
I had a difficult time with it in 1991.

Since the adjustment period I LOVE IT, and even wear it IF I take a Nap.

RDW
06-26-2013, 15:11
They could have done that all in the same night, as I did. My machine is plug and play, it automatically adjusts airflow through the night.

Mine too - Remstar CPAP AUTO.

stevemc
06-27-2013, 00:06
lack of sleep is just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. If you are unhappy with the doc, go somewhere else. Although I understand your frustration, all the business about suing their a** off doesn't happen. As a doctor, he is entitled to his opinion and you can't change that or sue if you don't agree. I use the CPAP for many years now. It will make your life better in many ways, but will take weeks to get used to. I use the nose pillows now and like them way better than the face mask- you should check them out.
This is a good example of how the affordable healthcare act can work in your favor. You now have a pre-existing condition that could preclude you from any healthcare coverage at all. The insurance company cannot exclude you due to your apnea should you lose your job and get different insurance later, as I understand it. Really does protect average citizens in that way.

Pythonman
06-28-2013, 09:59
LIke I said in my last post, I have the machine. The Remstar C flex + I think it's called. I have the nose mask and it works great. My machine has a ramp feature to adjust the starting pressure low and works its way up to full pressure in half an hour. Now the problem I have is i sleep so soundly I practically never move during the night and if I'm sleeping on my arm, well, I weigh over 300lbs so my arm feels like it's been sat upon by a hippo half the night when I finally wake up!

Tackle
06-28-2013, 12:05
My dad had one of those cpap machines. My bro and I called it his bubbler. Numerous jokes about replacing water with piss and farting near the air intake at night makes me wonder how he got any sleep at all.

Goldendog Redux
06-28-2013, 12:54
Just take the second test and get the stupid machine. When you start sleeping better you will likely have enough energy to begin a real exercise program and lose 100+ pounds.

When you lose the weight you will probly not need the machine.

bobby_w
06-29-2013, 00:21
Everyone I know that takes the tests gets a mask....

This is what my Primary Doctor told me. She said it is a huge racket but I should do the study.

I took the study and guess what .... I have the torture, roll over in your sleep, wind tunnel in my face machine.

jpa
06-29-2013, 13:03
If you feel the doc wasn't competent or the results were inaccurate, you should be more than allowed to get a second opinion or repeat the testing elsewhere. I used to go out with a girl who worked in a sleep lab. She told me they actually have portable monitors where they hook you up and send you home. You sleep in your own bed albeit still hooked up to monitors and stuff. Might be worth looking into if you're that uncomfortable sleeping in the lab.