Duck .... best oven temp and duration ???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duck .... best oven temp and duration ????

dryfly
04-27-2013, 07:35
Hey gang.....I am putting a duck in the oven this afternoon.
There are so many different oven settings and cooking times on the internet.... ?????

What do you guys do?
Should I put the orange sauce on that came with the bird ?

:dunno::dunno:

Thanks for any advice !

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 07:36
I'm interested, too. I haven't had duck since Christmas. And my local Chi-food place requires 24 hrs notice.

kiole
04-27-2013, 09:06
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mighty-duck-recipe/index.html

his recipes are usually easy and good.

Cybercowboy
04-27-2013, 09:08
If it twere me, I'd saute the breasts in some butter and olive oil and do a duck comfit with the rest of it. But that's me.

jtull7
04-27-2013, 09:16
When I cook a duck, I lay a couple of strips of bacon on the top. Keeps it moist. I also stuff it with wild rice and chopped celery. Kinda takes the gamey taste away (if you shot the duck yourself).

stolenphot0
04-27-2013, 09:41
Don't really know but would low and slow be safe with poultry?

ditto1958
04-27-2013, 10:02
When I cook a duck, I lay a couple of strips of bacon on the top. Keeps it moist. I also stuff it with wild rice and chopped celery. Kinda takes the gamey taste away (if you shot the duck yourself).

It's a domestic store bought duck. The ones you shoot yourself don't come with orange sauce.

Chaos
04-27-2013, 10:34
On a slightly raised grid in a pan with a little water in it (not touching the duck) to catch the dripping fat, and roast at about 180 celcius until the juices run clear and the skin is crispy. Can grill for extra crispy the last 5 minutes.
I wouldn't bother with any sauce, as roast duck is not dry, and is yummy as is!

Chaos

dryfly
04-27-2013, 10:38
Thanks guys...
Duck is in the oven.
I scored the skin and rubbed pressed garlic, salt and pepper on it.
Red potatoes in the pan under the raised duck to be cooked in the drippings...duck fat fried potatoes hopefully. A beautiful Saturday afternoon...shooting the bows...playing frisbee with the dog...waiting for the Red Sox to come on.
And how bout those Sox....tied with the Rangers for the best record in baseball... Ortiz is on fire.....
:tongueout::rofl:New York !

Dennis in MA
04-27-2013, 13:56
Bleepin Ortiz! I watched 5 games hoping he'd hit in Pawtucket. The game I kiss, he hits a homer. Then goes to Boston and is on fire. Sheesh!

Hoping Nava and Middlebrooks break out of their funk. I love both of them. Nava esp.

Mrs.Cicero
04-27-2013, 15:54
Tell us how that comes out - I have 15 Pekins in the yard that I need recipes for starting in two weeks.

Big Bird
04-27-2013, 19:56
If it twere me, I'd saute the breasts in some butter and olive oil and do a duck comfit with the rest of it. But that's me.

Pretty much. Duck breast is best served medium rare and the rest of the bird is a little too tough that way.

On wild birds I mostly breast them out. But domestic birds have a good deal of fat on them and they helps.

Making some wild duck pate tonight!

Al Czervik
04-27-2013, 22:12
Roasting a whole duck right isn't that easy. First and foremost it has to be DRY...inside and out...like the Gobi friggin desert. One may blow compressed air under the skin to loosen it as well. Scoring the skin will allow the fat to render and the skin to crisp.
Then, you need to experiment with your oven. Whatever temperature makes the skin crisp when the thigh hits the right temperature, is the right temp. For me, it is done at about 155. Much more than that, and it is over the hill, and gets put in the kid's quesadillas.

stevelyn
04-27-2013, 22:18
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/recipes