Smug emissions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smug emissions.

silentpoet
04-27-2013, 13:18
Well I had to do it, went to the local used car lot and bought a prius. So there might be a slight increase in smug.

Really it had the features/options I wanted and it gets roughly 3 times the mpg of my current car. It has navigation and the rear view camera. Plenty of interior room and cargo space in the back. Had more miles than I wanted, but my current car needs replacing. So I traded miles for features and price. Not perfect, but good enough for me. And I will only be making payments for less than 3 years, so it won't take me forever to get it paid off.

Now I just need to find a run hillary run sticker for the front bumper.

jakebrake
04-27-2013, 13:20
if you're gonna go hybrid, toyota has it figured out.

my beef with prius is the ugly factor. the car and the name are hideous.

prius...sounds like a disease that kills rabbits, or the face one makes when smelling something unpleasant.

railfancwb
04-27-2013, 14:36
"Smug" emissions... Bragging or misspelling?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Rabbi
04-27-2013, 14:42
"Smug" emissions... Bragging or misspelling?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Actually, hilarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!

vikingsoftpaw
04-27-2013, 14:58
It is a South Park thing.

jz2016
04-27-2013, 15:08
It is a South Park thing.

*Farts*

*Bends over and inhales*

Here in San Francisco we do our best to keep emissions low.

Bruce M
04-27-2013, 15:10
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5wkMFMMQMAc/S8KncnL8SCI/AAAAAAAAAO0/6LvISX38VdY/s1600/a+prius.jpg

aircarver
04-27-2013, 15:10
So where do you stand on warranty on replacing the battery (s)
on a high miles used Prius ?

MLM
04-27-2013, 15:13
Don't forget to drive around with your nose pointed up.

IndyGunFreak
04-27-2013, 15:45
Actually, hilarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!

Gotta be in the top 5 of my favorite episodes.

cowboywannabe
04-27-2013, 16:23
how do they do wrecks with crown vics?

Gregg702
04-27-2013, 16:46
how do they do wrecks with crown vics?

According to the IIHS, the Prius has better crash test ratings than the Crown Vic, so it seems they would do well.

RenoF250
04-27-2013, 17:20
According to the IIHS, the Prius has better crash test ratings than the Crown Vic, so it seems they would do well.

35 into a wall perhaps but CV into Prius and I am pretty sure prius loses.

Ford claims 108 mpg with their new cars.

I see no need for hybrid when a TDI gets the same mileage.

I honestly do not think I would drive a prius if they never needed fuel.

Gregg702
04-27-2013, 17:22

Bigger cars are not always safer.

Rick C
04-27-2013, 17:41
Smaug emissions. Beyond this point there be dragon farts, burps and finally fire.

silentpoet
04-27-2013, 18:10
So where do you stand on warranty on replacing the battery (s)
on a high miles used Prius ?

Really not too bad, other cars have components that cost more that can need replacing too. You can find battery packs for roughly 1000 online. Plus installation. A fwd tranny can easily run 2-3000. Not sure what all is involved in installation, but I might be able to do it.

From Edmunds, "Government crash tests on the Toyota car resulted in a four-star (out of five) rating for everything but the driver in the frontal-impact test, which earned five stars." Crown vic is pretty similar, maybe better only on the front passenger by a little bit in government testing.

The TDI is diesel, which is more expensive than gas around here by a decent amount. Just checked gas buddy and it costs more here than premium. But if I was looking at a 1 ton truck I would go diesel. VW are kind of rare on the ground around here. I have maybe seen one diesel VW for sale in at least the past few years. Nearest dealership is at least 75 miles away. So all those things considered the TDI was not an option.

I am not saying it is a perfect vehicle, but for me I weighed the options and it is a pretty decent choice. It replaces an older vehicle that needed replacing. I figure if I am going to spend roughly 10k for a car I need to get the best mileage I can get. I looked at other cars, but not much available here that gets decent MPG. I would like a manual Honda Fit. There was a Ford I liked, a Fiesta ST or something like that with a 6 speed, but 23k was more than I wanted to spend.

Bruce M, the funny thing is that one is the same color.

teumessian_fox
04-27-2013, 18:27
I figured a "smug emission" was when a Yuppie passed gas.

cowboywannabe
04-27-2013, 19:50
i meant if the prius gets hit by the CV..... lots of thugs driving old police cars around after they repaint them and put big rims on them.....thugs tend not to be carefull drivers....run from the police and hit whomever be damned....

i want a safe car first. not a safe car against itself but against bigger cars on the road it will be driven on.

silentpoet
04-27-2013, 19:57
Well it is probably better than the one it replaces. I would have to check to be sure. I just checked and it is not clear, but fairly comparable I guess on the tests they do have. I believe it is as safe as any other midsize car.

We don't have many thugs driving Crown vics with big rims around here. Some but not very many at all.

hpracing007
04-27-2013, 19:59

Which ford cars are getting 108 mpg?

cowboywannabe
04-27-2013, 20:17
Well it is probably better than the one it replaces. I would have to check to be sure. I just checked and it is not clear, but fairly comparable I guess on the tests they do have. I believe it is as safe as any other midsize car.

We don't have many thugs driving Crown vics with big rims around here. Some but not very many at all.

it its getting the same good crash test ratings as gas or diesel cars of the same size then you win, unless it costs an organ to fix or replace parts after you fly in technicians from BFE to fix it in a shop two states away........

you get my point. im all for new technology but not as a beta tester.

RenoF250
04-27-2013, 20:26

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-ford-fusion-energi-returns-108-mpge-in-city-driving-says-ford.html

silentpoet
04-29-2013, 16:59
I brought it home this afternoon. And already my farts smell better.

Bruce M
04-29-2013, 17:12
:rofl::rofl:

airmotive
04-29-2013, 19:04
it its getting the same good crash test ratings as gas or diesel cars of the same size then you win, unless it costs an organ to fix or replace parts after you fly in technicians from BFE to fix it in a shop two states away........

you get my point. im all for new technology but not as a beta tester.

The Prius has been out for over 15 years.
At what point do you consider it to be out of beta?

If you ask me, Ford's diesel technology is in perpetual beta.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2013, 20:34
the prius has been out for over 15 years.
At what point do you consider it to be out of beta?

if you ask me, ford's diesel technology is in perpetual beta.

i agree with this. Ever since they went away from the 7.2 theyve had problems.

silentpoet
04-29-2013, 20:59
I am just 28-30 miles into my ownership and it says it is averaging 46 or so mpg. So far so good. Just have to work on setting some things up, got my home set in navigation and was able to connect my phone. Just have to work on programming some things and learning some of how it works. Also have to replace all my car kit stuff, like tools and emergency supplies.

moeman
04-30-2013, 00:23
Well if your like every other Prius driver you'll be in the fast lane doing 55 and NEVER move to the right to let another pass.

I like the technology but the drivers need to pull their heads out of their hyper-mile ass.

Please be the Rosa Parks of Prius drivers. :)

airmotive
04-30-2013, 04:10
i agree with this. Ever since they went away from the 7.2 theyve had problems.

...except that engine (7.3 BTW) wasn't even Ford's!
It was an International Harvester.
It was nice being able to buy parts from Tractor Supply and Farm & Fleet.

Peace Warrior
04-30-2013, 04:19
Well I had to do it, went to the local used car lot and bought a prius. So there might be a slight increase in smug.

Really it had the features/options I wanted and it gets roughly 3 times the mpg of my current car. It has navigation and the rear view camera. Plenty of interior room and cargo space in the back. Had more miles than I wanted, but my current car needs replacing. So I traded miles for features and price. Not perfect, but good enough for me. And I will only be making payments for less than 3 years, so it won't take me forever to get it paid off.

Just don't stoop to smelling farts and having to have cartman and butters' rescue you from the West Coast.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x262/PhotoKeith/smugalert.jpg

Thanks! You know, for caring about the planet and all.

Fear Night
04-30-2013, 05:23
I really wish Diesel passenger cars would pick up in the US. To the point that Diesel fuel would cost less than Gas. I would definitely be picking up a VW TDI if that were the case.

ChuteTheMall
04-30-2013, 06:03
The jokes about the Prius are getting old, now I know plenty of happy Prius owners who drive in big city traffic, who would have bought a similar size car anyway, and who get around 50 mpg.

If they can cross it with a RAV4 and/or a Tacoma, they'll have another winner.

I think you did good for a $10K used car, if it gives you no trouble, if you drive enough to justify it, and if it meets your needs size and speedwise.

SC Tiger
04-30-2013, 06:21

FYI - my neighbor has one and the battery pack went out at 123K miles. It cost about $3K to replace.

Sounds high I know BUT the rumor when the thing came out was that it would be closer to $10K and 100K miles at best, so from that perspective it isn't bad.

The newer ones supposedly have better battery packs and some mechanics will replace individual cells (though that is considered a bad idea, at least on the year my neighbor has). It is cheaper to do that of course.

Outside of the smug factor I don't have issue with the Prius though I have not driven one. It is freaky to see but not hear my neighbor pull out of his driveway.

SC Tiger
04-30-2013, 06:23

I saw one get better than that.

Not sure what the tow truck that was pulling it was getting though. :rofl:

SC Tiger
04-30-2013, 06:30
I really wish Diesel passenger cars would pick up in the US. To the point that Diesel fuel would cost less than Gas. I would definitely be picking up a VW TDI if that were the case.

I agree but Diesels (especially VWs) have parts that cost as much, or more, than the battery pack in a Prius.

Now, if you tied a small Diesel to a serial hybrid system (like the Chevrolet Volt), THEN you may really have something. Especially if it could run on biodiesel. Some big dumptrucks (such as found in rock quarries) work the same way except for the biodiesel part.

(I'm no hippie but the crude oil tank is running low, and we ain't making any more!)

cowboywannabe
04-30-2013, 06:34
I was nice being able to buy parts from Tractor Supply and Farm & Fleet.

i fat fingered the keyboard, yes, 7.3 int. i have an '02 f250, the last year they made them with that engine....mine is still going...

vikingsoftpaw
04-30-2013, 10:33
FYI - my neighbor has one and the battery pack went out at 123K miles. It cost about $3K to replace.

Sounds high I know BUT the rumor when the thing came out was that it would be closer to $10K and 100K miles at best, so from that perspective it isn't bad.

The newer ones supposedly have better battery packs and some mechanics will replace individual cells (though that is considered a bad idea, at least on the year my neighbor has). It is cheaper to do that of course.

Prius battery packs were know to be defective. It was usually cell No. 13 that cause them to fail early.

BEER
04-30-2013, 11:26
Smaug emissions. Beyond this point there be dragon farts, burps and finally fire.

so you've had my sister's "mordor chili"? lol

mhambi
04-30-2013, 11:56
<----Smugger than thou...

(Civic GX)

:rofl:

wjv
04-30-2013, 12:03

How long did it take to remove the factory installed "Change We can Believe In" and the "Coexist" bumper stickers? :tongueout:

SC Tiger
04-30-2013, 13:18
Prius battery packs were know to be defective. It was usually cell No. 13 that cause them to fail early.

I actually posted that to make the OP feel a little better if he'd heard the rumors I did.

Yes the pack can fail but it won't be the end of the world.

(My neighbor bought the thing used also, so who knows how well it was taken care of before he got it).

Glock20 10mm
04-30-2013, 13:34
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5wkMFMMQMAc/S8KncnL8SCI/AAAAAAAAAO0/6LvISX38VdY/s1600/a+prius.jpg

They have a lot of nothing to say!

jakebrake
04-30-2013, 14:11
I was nice being able to buy parts from Tractor Supply and Farm & Fleet.

the problem is, since it is an intertrashional, you need to buy parts often.

hogfish
04-30-2013, 16:01
if you're gonna go hybrid, toyota has it figured out.

my beef with prius is the ugly factor. the car and the name are hideous.

prius...sounds like a disease that kills rabbits, or the face one makes when smelling something unpleasant.

"...smelling something unpleasant.", like a 'smug emission'.