Differential fluid on cover [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Differential fluid on cover

meathead19
04-27-2013, 14:57
Had 100k maintainence done 2 weeks ago. This included changing the diff fluid.

It's still wet looking near the bottom of the cover so I called the mechanic and asked if that was normal. He said it may take a while for it to dry as its very oily fluid. They try to remove what they can w a paper towel if there's any excess on the cover.

This sound legit or do I have a seal leaking?

Thanks.

audiomechanic
04-27-2013, 15:00
Had 100k maintainence done 2 was ago. This included changing the diff fluid.

It's still wet looking near the bottom of the cover so I called the mechanic and asked if that was normal. He said it may take a while for it to dry as its very oily fluid. They try to remove what they can w a paper towel if there's any excess on the cover.

This sound legit or do I have a seal leaking?

Thanks.

If there's no actual wetness on the bottom of the pumpkin, then your mechanic is right. If you want to clean it off, Simple Green or a good grease removing soap will take it off for you.

Sent from my orifice.

Diesel_Bomber
04-27-2013, 15:03
Check the fluid level. If it's fine then all is well.

dun4791
04-27-2013, 15:15
Park in street, spray a whole can of brake clean on the cover and surrounding area. It will dry perfectly clean in minutes. Watch for small leaks after next drive.

Z71bill
04-27-2013, 15:27
How long is "2 was"?

BTW - I like checking the gear oil level when it warm - like after driving 20 miles.

I loosen the plug and before I even remove it - I can see a little gear oil starting to seep out. If I check it cold it is below the plug by a little.

Adjuster
04-27-2013, 15:34
How long is "2 was"?

Equal to one 'fort knight' silly.

/

meathead19
04-27-2013, 16:44
How long is "2 was"?

BTW - I like checking the gear oil level when it warm - like after driving 20 miles.

I loosen the plug and before I even remove it - I can see a little gear oil starting to seep out. If I check it cold it is below the plug by a little.

Weeks.

THanks for the advice. :wavey:

HollowHead
04-27-2013, 17:21
Park in street, spray a whole can of brake clean on the cover and surrounding area. It will dry perfectly clean in minutes. Watch for small leaks after next drive.

This. HH

Geeorge
04-28-2013, 02:59
Could be the pinion seal leaking back onto the cover.

By a can of gunk engine cleaner and take it to the quarter operated car wash,then keep an eye out for leaks

byf43
04-28-2013, 07:17

^^^ This.

This. HH

^^^ And this, too!!!

Brakleen is some gooooooooood stuff!!!

(Hope there's never a shortage of this!! I only have 1-1/2 cases left!):supergrin:

tarpleyg
04-28-2013, 07:24
Most newer trucks (not sure about cars) require you to remove the cover to drain the fluid. I'm not sure what genius decided that a drain plug was too much hassle and said "Let's just do away with that pesky thing. Surely it would be easier for people to remove 10 bolts rather than 1." At any rate, when you do that, it leaves gear oil all over hell and gone, so yes, it stands to reason that some of it would be there.

Z71bill
04-28-2013, 07:43
Most newer trucks (not sure about cars) require you to remove the cover to drain the fluid. I'm not sure what genius decided that a drain plug was too much hassle and said "Let's just do away with that pesky thing. Surely it would be easier for people to remove 10 bolts rather than 1." At any rate, when you do that, it leaves gear oil all over hell and gone, so yes, it stands to reason that some of it would be there.

Go to Harbor Freight buy this --

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

I was able to remove almost all of the oil.

I know some will say they want to get a complete 100% drain of old gear oil - and also want to inspect things.

I can understand this - but since my truck only had 25K I didn't mind taking the shortcut.

BTW - strange - my rear differential has no plug - but GM still put one on the front differential.

samuse
04-28-2013, 08:52
If you wait long enough it will dry itself.

If you eventually get a popping, grinding, clanking sound from the rear end, it was leaking.

If it dries and everything is normal, it was just dirty.

meathead19
04-28-2013, 10:37
If you wait long enough it will dry itself.

If you eventually get a popping, grinding, clanking sound from the rear end, it was leaking.

If it dries and everything is normal, it was just dirty.

Never had any sounds from back there....before or after the change.

Will try Breakkleen as it appears to be a cheap way to test.

byf43
04-28-2013, 11:19
Never had any sounds from back there....before or after the change.

Will try Breakkleen as it appears to be a cheap way to test.

I recently got a case (12 cns) of Brakleen @ Pep Boys for $2.75/can.

roger123
04-28-2013, 14:18
Brakleen is some gooooooooood stuff!!!

My favorite fire starter.

Fastbear
04-28-2013, 14:30
On our older vehicles that required the pan to be removed to drain the gear oil we drilled through the bottom of the cast iron. After fluid drained a chamfer on the bottom of hole then tapped for a recessed pipe plug. Ran a small amount of 80-90 in differential to remove any metal chips. Installed a recessed pipe plug. Job done for next drain ease.

meathead19
04-28-2013, 14:36

This has a plug. Heard they can go go bad, but will try the breakkleen.

It's dry on the bottom of cover and basically all around. Just a little dirt, drying oil on my finger.