Navy stripes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Navy stripes

norton
04-27-2013, 17:32
Watching the beginning of the nascar race, and saw a navy color guard. Some of the sailors had red stripes indicating their rank, and anothers looked gold. Why the difference?

dan1488
04-27-2013, 17:33
Not sure, but to me Navy has one of the hardest rank structure to learn.
.pop {color: #D96C00; font-weight: bold;}.imap {border: none;margin: 8px;}.content {padding: 8px 5px 0px 10px;}body,p {font-size: 0.9em;}
Enlisted Rates

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ranks/bm1patch-2.gifThe use of the word "rank" for Navy enlisted personnel is incorrect. The term is "rate." The rating badge is a combination of rate (pay grade, as indicated by the chevrons) and rating (occupational specialty, as indicated by the symbol just above the chevrons).
The insignia here represents a Petty Officer First Class (the rate) who is a Boatswain's Mate (the rating). A rating badge is worn on the left upper sleeve of all uniforms in grades E-4 through E-6. Chief Petty Officers (E-7 through E-9) wear collar devices on their white and khaki uniforms, and rating badges on their Service Dress Blues.

An explanation of the the enlisted rates (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=260) is hyperlinked from the chevrons in the image to the left, and an explanation of the various Navy occupational specialties is hyperlinked from the rating symbol (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=259), in this case the crossed anchors..

arclight610
04-27-2013, 17:55
The different colors represent different job areas. Red is for fireman, green is airwing, ect.

vart
04-27-2013, 18:01
The different colors represent different job areas. Red is for fireman, green is airwing, ect.

I still remember my instructor in boot camp explaining how to remember the colors...

Green is for aviation guys because they are in the air looking down on the grass.

Blue is for the ground based rates because they are in the grass looking up in the air.

Red is for firemen because of the color of their fire trucks...

However, that is only for rate stripes up to E3. E4 and above all use the same color; it varies for the uniform only. Blue on white uniforms and red on black and dark blue uniforms...

WT
04-27-2013, 18:06
Red indicates that the wearer has some nasty comments in his personnel file.

rball
04-27-2013, 18:12
When wearing the service dress blues (aka - cracker jack), the red stripes are standard for all E4 - E6's, with the rate above the chevron(s) and below the crow. E4 1-chevron, E5 2-chevrons, E6 3-chevrons. The gold chevrons signify 12 consecutive years or more of good behavior. An E7-E9 will have chevrons that have a rocker that goes over the top chevron (rate insignia between the rocker and upper chevron). An E8 will have one star above the crow and an E9 will have two stars above the crow that are side by side. I've not seen an E9 without gold chevrons (doesn't mean there aren't any out there though), but have seen several E8's and E7's with out them (gold chevrons)

E2-E3 have stripes (E2 2-stripes, E3 3-stripes) and the color of the stripe is indicative of the rate group that they belong to. Green=aviation, Red=fireman, etc. You won't seen an E2 or E3 with gold stripes (good conduct).

norton
04-27-2013, 18:19
Interesting.
What qualifies as good behavior?

vart
04-27-2013, 18:22
Interesting.

Not getting caught...:whistling:

The Navy even issued a medal for not getting in trouble for 4 years...:rofl:

nursetim
04-27-2013, 18:24
Interesting.

Not getting a social disease. Very rare.:whistling:

rball
04-27-2013, 18:40
Not receiving any NJP (non-judicial punishment) for three or four (I don't remember the exact time frame) consecutive years will qualify one for the good conduct medal and 12 consecutive years for the gold chevron(s).

vart
04-27-2013, 18:45
Not getting a social disease. Very rare.:whistling:

I managed; despite a WESTPAC with port visits to the Philippines...:cool:

Glotin
04-27-2013, 19:02
There's a lot of disinformation in this thread.

Or that he has been in less than 12 years...

The Navy even issued a medal for not getting in trouble for 4 years...:rofl:

The Good Conduct medal is issued for every three years of consecutive good conduct (no NJP).

Stripes on the sleeve represent years of service. You get one stripe for every four years. After 12 years of good conduct, your stripes turn gold.

Chiefs generally have gold chevrons, but there are some who have been in less than 12 years who have red.

All of the above is for enlisted. Officer's don't wear service stripes and their rank is displayed by gold stripes around the sleeve of the SDB jacket near the cuff. In whites, the stripes are on their shoulder boards.

vart
04-27-2013, 19:47
There's a lot of disinformation in this thread.

Originally Posted by WT http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20226381#post20226381)

Or that he has been in less than 12 years...

The Good Conduct medal is issued for every three years of consecutive good conduct (no NJP).

Or people have a sense of humor...:dunno:

I was in for 4 years and never was issued an NJP, yet I did not receive the Good Conduct Medal... My DD214 has a couple of other omissions on it as well that I never worried about...

airmotive
04-27-2013, 22:57
In the Navy, you wear your career on your sleeve.
How many years you've served and if you've gotten into trouble.
Always got a kick out of the guys wearing 24 year's worth of red service stripes and an E-5 rate badge. Damn dude...just retire.

Pretty much the only correct info in this thread is Gloten's.

vart
04-27-2013, 23:11
Pretty much the only correct info in this thread is Gloten's.

So Airmen don't wear green stripes, Seaman don't wear blue, and Firemen don't wear red?

Please enlighten me as to when that changed...

Batesmotel
04-27-2013, 23:13

Thats why I never got a good conduct medal. I pulled so much crap the odds caught up to me. But it was a hell of a ride. :supergrin:

md2lgyk
04-28-2013, 05:19
I probably have the strangest collection of ribbons of anybody. Between eight years in the Navy and sixteen in the Army and Air National Guard (with a few years of broken service in between), I have ribbons from all three branches. My National Defense Service Ribbon has three stars on it. I think one of my Air Force ribbons was for perfect attendance. Or maybe dusting the erasers.

airmotive
04-28-2013, 06:30
So Airmen don't wear green stripes, Seaman don't wear blue, and Firemen don't wear red?

Seen a lot of green 1st class petty officer stripes, have ya?
It changes not too long after boot camp. (unless, of course, you're that E5 over 24.)

LEO/Dad
04-28-2013, 07:28
I was a MM2 in the sixties. My memory is fading. In the Pacific, in warm weather we wore "Whites", short sleeve dress uniforms. Your rank and rate was in black. When I went to the Med., colder weather and we wore Navy Blue dress. I remember all rates/ranks being Red, not air dales. Correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, if you need another DD-214, you can request it from the St. Louis Military Records center. This is a neat document to have, because it comes with a notary type stamp. It also listed that I was a "Shellback" on my service record, which was surprising that they listed that. My Veterans office is helping me collect all the documentation for "Agent Orange" exposure in Vietnam.

gwalchmai
04-28-2013, 07:52
Air Force structure is very complicated, but here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_handicap) is a pretty go explanation...

Glotin
04-28-2013, 10:53

And constructionmen wear light blue. That only applies to E3 and below though.

vart
04-28-2013, 11:31
Seen a lot of green 1st class petty officer stripes, have ya?
It changes not too long after boot camp. (unless, of course, you're that E5 over 24.)

Which is why I stated many posts above that it only pertains to E3 and below...

I didn't realize I had to repeat that point again and again for the slow kids in the class...

However, that is only for rate stripes up to E3. E4 and above all use the same color; it varies for the uniform only. Blue on white uniforms and red on black and dark blue uniforms...