Westboro "church" in TX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Westboro "church" in TX

GlocknSpiehl
04-27-2013, 19:24
Not sure if this is true, but it makes for a great story! :supergrin:

Found this on Facebook:

So Westboro showed up here in Texas at the memorial service in West for the first responders who lost their lives in the explosion. The chief of police promptly had all 20 or so of them arrested and put into holding cells (all the men in one and all the women in another) When they told him he couldn't do that, he let them know he could. Since he hadn't officially charged them, he could hold them for 24 hours before he had to charge them or let them go! (plenty of time to hold the memorial service). I guess Westboro didn't think it through too well... This is Texas. As quickly as we fry people down here, did they really think they would be allowed to show that kind of disrespect?? Their photos were also released to the other small towns surrounding West, where services would be denied to them. Sometimes you just have to admire the way we do things down here in Texas!

Patchman
04-27-2013, 19:43
If story is true, brings a smile to my face.

If story is false, hoping it would spark a future "idea" brings a smile to my face.

flyover
04-27-2013, 20:56
I'm from Kansas. Could you all in Texas accidentally misplace them for two or three years?

TK-421
04-27-2013, 21:19
True or not, it still brought a smile to my face. And like was said above, if it's not true, I hope it gives someone an idea.

OhioGlock90
04-27-2013, 21:22
So awesome!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

hpracing007
04-27-2013, 21:25
Pretty sure you can't do that...

tsmo1066
04-27-2013, 21:28
Pretty sure you can't do that...

He can do it. He has the guns and they don't.

Can he get away with it without being sued is the real question.

m2hmghb
04-27-2013, 21:43

Protective custody for their own safety?:whistling:

Cybercowboy
04-27-2013, 21:43
They had a very bad time when they showed up in Joplin after the tornado. Just really not something they are likely to repeat. Ever.

tsmo1066
04-27-2013, 21:52
Protective custody for their own safety?:whistling:

Sounds good to me. Doubt there's a jury or judge in Texas that would dispute the need to "protect" these clowns. If it comes down to a lawsuit that's the argument the Sheriff should use.

50 Cent
04-27-2013, 21:53
Sounds good to me. Doubt there's a jury or judge in Texas that would dispute the need to "protect" these clowns. If it comes down to a lawsuit that's the argument the Sheriff should use.

Let'em sue and show up before a Texas jury...

ray9898
04-27-2013, 21:58
It wouldn't be a simple civil suit, it would be heard in federal court as a civil rights violation.

TK-421
04-27-2013, 22:22

I don't see why he shouldn't be. I thought the 24 hour thing was fairly standard, but maybe I'm wrong. What I've always known is that police can lock you up for 24 hours if they suspect you might have committed a crime. If they can't charge you with anything, then they have to let you go. But there isn't anything you can do about it either, as far as I know. But maybe I'm wrong.

Ronny
04-27-2013, 22:56

Found this on Facebook:

So Westboro showed up here in Texas at the memorial service in West for the first responders who lost their lives in the explosion. The chief of police promptly had all 20 or so of them arrested and put into holding cells (all the men in one and all the women in another) When they told him he couldn't do that, he let them know he could. Since he hadn't officially charged them, he could hold them for 24 hours before he had to charge them or let them go! (plenty of time to hold the memorial service). I guess Westboro didn't think it through too well... This is Texas. As quickly as we fry people down here, did they really think they would be allowed to show that kind of disrespect?? Their photos were also released to the other small towns surrounding West, where services would be denied to them. Sometimes you just have to admire the way we do things down here in Texas!

I'm not sure of your point except that Texans have no respect for the law or America. These Westboro folks might be downright disagreeable but they are operating within the law. If the story is true I hope they win a federal lawsuit against these Texans who think they are above the law.

ray9898
04-27-2013, 23:16
I don't see why he shouldn't be. I thought the 24 hour thing was fairly standard, but maybe I'm wrong. What I've always known is that police can lock you up for 24 hours if they suspect you might have committed a crime. If they can't charge you with anything, then they have to let you go. But there isn't anything you can do about it either, as far as I know. But maybe I'm wrong.

It isn't that simple. I as a LEO can't just go arrest someone for no reason. The arrest has to be based on probable cause even if TX law gives LE 24 hours to formally charge.

50 Cent
04-27-2013, 23:31
I'm not sure of your point except that Texans have no respect for the law or America. These Westboro folks might be downright disagreeable but they are operating within the law. If the story is true I hope they win a federal lawsuit against these Texans who think they are above the law.

Guess we'll have to settle it out of court... :rofl:

Don't talk to me about being above the law or Federal Lawsuits with all of that Bolshevik swine Holder's Fast and Furious shenanigans.

Ronny
04-27-2013, 23:35
Guess we'll have to settle it out of court... :rofl:

I find those Westboro people detestable but I'd fight to the death to protect their freedom. I'd bet they'd protect your freedom of speech too. So the only ones here against freedom are the "good guys" in the story. That's just unamerican.

50 Cent
04-27-2013, 23:43
I find those Westboro people detestable but I'd fight to the death to protect their freedom. I'd bet they'd protect your freedom of speech too. So the only ones here against freedom are the "good guys" in the story. That's just unamerican.

They'd fight to protect my freedom of speech? :rofl:

Somehow I think they would only wish to protect the WBC long enough to gather another meal ticket lawsuit.

Ronny
04-27-2013, 23:48
They'd fight to protect my freedom of speech? :rofl:

Somehow I think they would only wish to protect the WBC long enough to gather another meal ticket lawsuit.

I don't think so. A couple years ago I looked into these guys and so far as I can tell they are true believers. They'll turn the other cheek when they're materially harmed (they regularly get their tires slashed by cowards) but they are very outspoken about their ideas and ideals whenever and wherever they find the opportunity to do so, which is often and loudly.

BEER
04-27-2013, 23:50
why can't these asshats get nailed with some sort of charge like conspiring to incite a riot or something?

Ronny
04-27-2013, 23:56
why can't these asshats get nailed with some sort of charge like conspiring to incite a riot or something?

Probably because they don't commit crimes or incite riots. They keep their asshattery within the bounds of the law even when their critics do not.

r3dot
04-28-2013, 00:00
Oh, Ronny. How laughable you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Maggy
04-28-2013, 00:10

Honestly, you are mostly right. I doubt they would do anything for me; but sadly they do stay within the confines of the law.

Thy showed up to protest a buddy of mine's funeral; back in the heyday of Iraq; at first I was livid and then I started considering the situation. I came to the conclusion that suspending the document that he died, sworn to protect, would be a bigger disgrace than allowing these jokers to run their game. At that point I was simply confused.

It is a game to them, almost the entire family has a degree in law. They push people just far enough to get a reaction and then they sue. As far as I know, none of them hold jobs outside the church and their revenue comes almost completely from lawsuits.

Ronny
04-28-2013, 00:16
It is a game to them, almost the entire family has a degree in law. They push people just far enough to get a reaction and then they sue. As far as I know, none of them hold jobs outside the church and their revenue comes almost completely from lawsuits.

I did not know that. One minute ago I had a grudging respect for them as true believers who did what they thought was right even if only in their own minds. Knowing this new information I have zero pity left for them. :steamed:

Folsom_Prison
04-28-2013, 00:54
I did not know that. One minute ago I had a grudging respect for them as true believers who did what they thought was right even if only in their own minds. Knowing this new information I have zero pity left for them. :steamed:

I'm in Kansas, seen them in action more than once. They are total POS folks. Their "belief" is nothing but a damn game and a scam. They test their boundaries to push other folks to mess with them for a check.

If I ever saw them on fire on the side of the road, I wish I could piss gasoline.

NeverMore1701
04-28-2013, 01:28
Still waiting for them to hit the wrong funeral and have a relative with nothing to lose drive a box truck loaded with fertilizer and diesel right through the middle of 'em....

RyanNREMTP
04-28-2013, 05:26
The county sheriff did advise publicly that if anyone protests at the funerals they will be arrested. Texas has laws that do not allow protesting at funerals three hours before it begins and till three hours after it ends. I heard that only two of them came to Texas but not into McLennan County. I was at the memorial and only saw supporters and I haven't heard from any of the other firefighters of them being at the private funerals.

Alchemy
04-28-2013, 19:24
In 2007 when we lost Captain Drew Jensen, a West point
Graduate. They were there trying to picket. Thankfully
over 100 bikers were their taking care of business. They
are trash using the 1st amendment, while we are slowly
losing the second.

scwine
04-29-2013, 20:33

I am having a hard time responding to this without getting flat out banned from this forum. :steamed:
You are a sick soul.

Ironbar
04-30-2013, 09:16

Ronny, I swear to God that if you ever uttered those words in my presence I would literally punch you in the face.

SC Tiger
04-30-2013, 09:33

Found this on Facebook:

That is cruel and unusual punishment.

All the other (non - Westboro) prisoners that had to share the cells with that bunch should sue.

JimmyRayBob
04-30-2013, 12:04
Ronny seems to have ticked a few folks off ....

but what if some moron from the government (any level) wanted to detain you for 24 hours because you were peacefully protesting Congress because they want to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. (it doesn't take much of an imagination to think this).

It cuts both ways, and when we let ANY goverment starting taking away ANY of our rights without due process - we are doomed. (hell, we already are doomed, Congress has been doing it for YEARS).

The Westboro folks are idiots, plane and simple. But they've got rights too.

diggy485
04-30-2013, 12:14
They were in our town a few years ago protesting.
It was just the woman, and a few others with children.

There were a rather large group counter protesting them, but the sheriff dept, and city police were there to make sure they were not harassed, or assaulted.:upeyes:
Like that would happen.

Reyn
04-30-2013, 12:38
I had a grudging respect for them as :

Uhhhh....naw

tsmo1066
04-30-2013, 15:26
I don't think so. A couple years ago I looked into these guys and so far as I can tell they are true believers. They'll turn the other cheek when they're materially harmed (they regularly get their tires slashed by cowards) but they are very outspoken about their ideas and ideals whenever and wherever they find the opportunity to do so, which is often and loudly.

They are running a SCAM that requires them to act like "true believers" and "turn the other cheek"...doing so is how they generate income.

The Westboro "church" is actually a family of attorneys with nearly the entire "congregation" consisting of a family of lawyers and their children. The "Church" makes virtually its entire revenue stream off of LAWSUITS, lawsuits that they intentionally provoke for the purpose of generating cash for themselves.

Here's how the scam works. First, you pick a funeral. Any funeral will do, but funerals that will have cameras and media attention work best because that will ensure that there is video coverage when you spring your litigation trap. Second, you protest the funeral in the most extreme, emotionally abusive manner you can dream up without quite crossing the border of legality. Third, you keep this abuse up until your prey (which consists of grieving, devastated people who are extremely fragile and vulnerable emotionally) finally snaps and reacts to your provocations in some way. If their reaction involves anything even remotely resembling a verbal threat or physically aggressive action, you then go to step four of the scam, which is to sue the crap out of the people you protested, as well as all local and county law enforcement agencies for "failing to protect you".

This is how the WBC makes their money. They don't hold collections because they have no real congregation other than their own immediate family to collect from. They subsist on lawsuits, and that's it.

It's all about money to the WBC, plain and simple. They didn't spend millions of dollars putting all of their daughters and sons through law school because they felt litigation somehow makes one closer to God - they made that investment in time and money because lawsuits, not religion, are the family business.

scwine
04-30-2013, 16:09
http://kanewj.com/wbc/

jpa
04-30-2013, 17:07
I am having a hard time responding to this without getting flat out banned from this forum. :steamed:
You are a sick soul.

I understand what you're saying and agree that the WBC is a bunch of loons that should be put out of our misery with extreme prejudice. However, JimmyRayBob nailed it.

Ronny seems to have ticked a few folks off ....

but what if some moron from the government (any level) wanted to detain you for 24 hours because you were peacefully protesting Congress because they want to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. (it doesn't take much of an imagination to think this).

It cuts both ways, and when we let ANY goverment starting taking away ANY of our rights without due process - we are doomed. (hell, we already are doomed, Congress has been doing it for YEARS).

The Westboro folks are idiots, plane and simple. But they've got rights too.

Once we start letting the government pick and choose which rights are inalienable and which people deserve Constitutional protection, we put all of us at risk of finding ourselves on the losing end of that proposition.

I do find it funny that First Amendment rights are considered nearly limitless except in extreme cases so no politician in their right mind tries to pass laws against free speech, but the Second Amendment is subject to permits, regulation, fees, background checks and loss of those rights if you commit certain crimes.

Angry Fist
04-30-2013, 17:16
Still waiting for them to hit the wrong funeral and have a relative with nothing to lose drive a box truck loaded with fertilizer and diesel right through the middle of 'em....
Let's start a suicide hotline.... :supergrin:

RonS
04-30-2013, 17:28
. . .
I do find it funny that First Amendment rights are considered nearly limitless except in extreme cases so no politician in their right mind tries to pass laws against free speech, but the Second Amendment is subject to permits, regulation, fees, background checks and loss of those rights if you commit certain crimes.[/QUOTE]

FCC, bandwidth allocation, broadcast licenses, broadcast standards etc ensure that most "free speech" is unheard. Think of the press as an extension of the government and bloggers and guys standing on streetcorners as common people. Same as we have Mini-14s and the government has B52s with cluster munitions.

If they were a threat to the status quo they would be shut down but as long as most people are watching reality TV instead of reality they can be tolerated.

skeeter1959
04-30-2013, 22:57
I predict one of these asshats will be taken out by a sniper. Just sayin'.