Kitchen Nightmares? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Nightmares?

teumessian_fox
04-28-2013, 13:18
Did you ever watch that?

I've learned 1) to never eat out again and 2) once that chef visits your restaurant, you're pretty much guaranteed to shut down.

Is it for real?

frankemp
04-28-2013, 13:55
Well, Chef Ramsay only goes to restaurants that are in trouble in the first place. One of the owners from one of places from a couple of seasons ago (here in NJ) actually committed suicide.

I know the shows pretty much all follow the same formula... Ramsay comes in, and samples the menu and rips the dishes apart, then he watches a dinner service and critiques the kitchen staff and wait staff, then he discovers and makes a big deal out of unsanitary conditions, then they redo the restaurant and menu and do some psycho therapy and every one lives happily ever after. But I find the show entertaining.

BAILIFF
04-28-2013, 14:32
South Park Cartman as Gordon Ramsay [subtitles] S14E014 - YouTube

hpracing007
04-28-2013, 14:34
No kidding about never eating out ever again, some places are one word, DISCUSTING

If you watch clips on youtube, they have both USA and EU versions. The USA ones they show are much more filthy.

method
04-28-2013, 15:06
No kidding about never eating out ever again, some places are one word, DISCUSTING

If you watch clips on youtube, they have both USA and EU versions. The USA ones they show are much more filthy.

They air repeats of the UK show on BBC America also.

Dennis in MA
04-28-2013, 15:13
I enjoy RR Inpossible and Bar Rescue only bc I've been fascinated with the industry for years. Might need to catch this one as well.

Magnus2131
04-28-2013, 16:03
Well, Chef Ramsay only goes to restaurants that are in trouble in the first place. One of the owners from one of places from a couple of seasons ago (here in NJ) actually committed suicide.

I know the shows pretty much all follow the same formula... Ramsay comes in, and samples the menu and rips the dishes apart, then he watches a dinner service and critiques the kitchen staff and wait staff, then he discovers and makes a big deal out of unsanitary conditions, then they redo the restaurant and menu and do some psycho therapy and every one lives happily ever after. But I find the show entertaining.
You forgot the part where the restaurant people who ask for help insist there is nothing wrong with their food.

elliotb33
04-28-2013, 16:06
You forgot the part where the restaurant people who ask for help insist there is nothing wrong with their food.

best thing I ever tasted, :tongueout:

ilgunguygt
04-28-2013, 16:27
The British version is MUCH better. Ramsey narrates it himself and it doesnt have the foc voice over guy and over dramatization.

teumessian_fox
04-28-2013, 16:36
Might need to catch this one as well.

It's kind of depressing. I watched season 1 on netflix. The restaurant owners apparantly ask the chef to come in and do his thing.

They're already deeply in debt. Some, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

The staff/owners, etc, are deeply dysfunctional, and that has already gone on for months. Even years.

And they're all on their last legs.

This chef comes in, makes some spectacular statements, a few changes, and the "reopenings" appeal to local customers because he's apparantly well known in the culinary world.

But then he leaves, the debt remains, and with few exceptions, so does the dysfunction. According to followup websites, every single restaurant has closed down. A couple of them reopened under new ownership.

I guess the show is all about making the chef wealthier. The venue is merely the vehicle, because he doesn't seem to do any lasting good.

airmotive
04-28-2013, 16:49

You are fully prepared for a career in directing reality TV.
You got it all figured out.:wavey:
It's not 'reality', it's entertainment.

frankemp
04-28-2013, 20:45

Indeed, but the 'denial' that the food is good and not actually ****e is part of the psycho therapy I alluded to earlier.

Someone else was talking about BBC America which shows alot of Chef Ramsay's shows - both the English as well as American Kitchen Nightmares. I get BBC America where I live and they were also showing Gordon Ramsay's F Word, which was a different kind of show but is also very entertaining.

BBC America also plays Top Gear, which is one of my favorites as well.

Dragline
04-29-2013, 07:19
Chef Robert from Restaurant Impossible was here in my town in Jan. to do a show on The Old World Italian Restaurant and that one just aired last week.
I went over and took a few pics during the filming. He was very nice and came over to talk to us and brought over Tom the builder as well.

Edit to add: Chef Ramsey also did a segment on a restaurant in the town I used to live in several years ago, that was Leones in Montclair NJ.
The shows were pretty much how you see it on TV. The crew really does come in and in 24 hours does a complete makeover of the restaurant.

devildog2067
04-29-2013, 07:25

The UK version is (was) much better, I think. They tend to show a lot more of Gordon Ramsay actually cooking/showing the owner how to cook, which I think is pretty cool. The Fox version tends to have a lot of scripted family drama crap.

okie
04-29-2013, 07:32
I love Kitchen Nightmares:thumbsup::wavey:

JMS
04-29-2013, 10:23
Chef Robert from Restaurant Impossible was here in my town in Jan. to do a show on The Old World Italian Restaurant and that one just aired last week.

RI is one of the few shows I DVR. That is the first episode where it (restaurant aesthetics) didn't look much better when they left.

Dennis in MA
04-29-2013, 11:17
OWIR - oh man that was a funny episode. Momma HAD to cook the sauce. Papa HAD to run the restaurant.

Sauce sucked. Papa couldn't manage a paper bag. LOL Looks like the son can handle it, if they let him long term.

jdavionic
04-29-2013, 12:46
I like Ramsay's shows and RI. The recurring theme is the owners in complete denial over the reality of the situation. I remember one of the Kitchen Nightmare shows where there were 3 owners in NYC. One was a complete pompous ass. They eventually failed, but it was good entertainment.