NES or SNES - what's your preference? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NES or SNES - what's your preference?

Grabbrass
04-28-2013, 19:40
And don't say Genesis. :steamed: .... :supergrin:

Even if Genesis was your fave back in the day vs. SNES, that's not the comparison I'm looking for. Just bouncing this NES vs. SNES thing out there cuz I'm considering an investment in one or the other - so, if you were stranded on an island that just happened to have electricity and a functional CRT television, would you rather have, an NES or an SNES to play on, and why? (assuming you could have any games for the system you wanted)

Also don't get into emulation - the whole point of my interest is playing on the actual hardware, as God and Shigeru Miyamoto intended.

I'll reply sometime later with my own vote.

Upgrayedd
04-28-2013, 20:22
I'd say NES. I don't have one anymore, but I still have a couple of the games. Zelda and Battle of Olympus. If you get a system, I'd be happy to send my old games to you.:wavey:

GSD17
04-28-2013, 20:24
NES. Still play my original one.

Though, I have replaced the pin thingy, so now I don't have to get lightheaded from blowing in the cartridges.

Highspeedlane
04-28-2013, 20:29
I had the 16 bit console (SNES?). I had Mortal Kombat and the wife played the Mario Brothers games. I remember Super Mario World very well.

I considered Mario Brothers a "girls game". Wife would play it and get frustrated. So one night I'm watching her play. She has to time a leap from a spring and jump over a river. She continually missed, getting poor Mario killed, so I made some comment to the effect she was starting her jump too early.

In her frustration she said, "Well if you think you can do better, you try it".

Big mistake. I became a Mario Brothers addict and would often play well into the wee hours until I had defeated all the games they made for that console. Couldn't get enough.

jr240sx
04-28-2013, 20:29
NES, still have mine from about 89/90ish, I was about 4/5 years old and that was the coolest thing ever, plus i just liked the games for that sys better...

costanza187
04-28-2013, 20:33
NES!

Lots of memories with that thing. I still have it, whether or not it still works I am not sure. If I ever get a hankerin' to play some classic video games, I use an emulator.

All the Mario games...and YES I actually thought Mario 2 was great!
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris

Harper
04-28-2013, 20:38
It's amazing that NES consoles still work after 25 years and an Xbox 360 is good for about 2 years at the most.

Khao
04-28-2013, 20:39
I'm fond of both... NES had duckhunt (that damn smartass dog pissed me off)

SNES had street fighter and mortal kombat

MrsKitty
04-28-2013, 20:41
NES. Still have mine hooked up.

But hands down, my favorite game ever is Tetris on the original Game Boy.

CranialCrusader
04-28-2013, 20:41
SNES

The breadth and depth of games vastly increased with the SNES. While Super Mario 1 & 3, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid (others too) games were groundbreaking on the NES, the successor games for the SNES are better. Then there are other entries in the genres pioneered on the NES; Chrono Trigger for example, is just awesome.

CranialCrusader

pal2511
04-28-2013, 21:13
SNES

The breadth and depth of games vastly increased with the SNES. While Super Mario 1 & 3, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid (others too) games were groundbreaking on the NES, the successor games for the SNES are better. Then there are other entries in the genres pioneered on the NES; Chrono Trigger for example, is just awesome.

CranialCrusader

Chrono trigger is the bees knees. I love nes for memories but SNES games were much better

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Altaris
04-28-2013, 21:21
SNES..... Just because Final Fantasy III was the best game of all time.

Super Mario Kart was a ridiculous amount of fun as well.

Zer0
04-28-2013, 21:31
Nes has a better nostalgia factor, but the Snes had better(and more) games. I'd pick the snes if access to them all were easy

JMS
04-28-2013, 21:35
NES, still have mine and about 50 games :supergrin:

jp3975
04-28-2013, 21:40
Why not buy both? Theyre not that expensive.

But between the two, id get the SNES.

Turtles in Time and Mario where probably my favorite games on the system.

And btw, they just came out with a handheld that plays SNES games if anyone is interested.

http://www.dkoldies.com/New-SupaBoy-Handheld-SNES-System-p/system-snes-supaboy.htm?gdftrk=gdfV21876_a_7c243_a_7c3591_a_7cSystem_d_SNES_d_SupaBoy&gclid=CNi234_67rYCFYRM4AodtF8APg

Joshhtn
04-28-2013, 21:42
SNES is my vote, but neither will make much of an "investment". I do have much love for the NES though!

jp3975
04-28-2013, 21:43
Also...if anyone's interested, this one system plays NES, SNES, & Genesis games as well as PAL region coded NES games and Super Famicon games and is compatible with original NES, SNES, & Genesis controllers.

http://www.dkoldies.com/Retron-3-Mario-Zapper-Pak-p/system-retron3-mzp.htm

jtmac
04-28-2013, 21:51
There were some good games and memories on the NES, but there were more great games on the SNES.

There are only a handful of games on the NES I would really enjoy playing today, and most of those have re-releases, improved sequels, or better games in the same style available on the SNES.

Grabbrass
04-28-2013, 21:56

But between the two, id get the SNES.

Systems are not that expensive. But SNES games, particularly the 1st party Nintendo games and the better RPG's, are VERY expensive.

But I agree with you, my pick is SNES.

As for whoever said neither would make much of an investment - I never said it was I was expecting a return, other than the entertainment, and the coolness of giving my grandchildren the chance to experience the real thing someday (I don't have any yet).

The reason I'm asking about this - I'll be in Japan in June for a couple weeks and I'll definitely be buying an SNES (well, japanese Super Famicom). I'll also be buying some doo-dads for my Sega Saturn. And, I might also buy the "Famicom AV" which is the 2nd gen, updated version of the NES that, in Japan, had AV outputs instead of RF. But it's about $100. Buying both will cut into the game cart budget.

1st world problems, I guess.

skeeter7
04-28-2013, 21:59
I went from NES to Genesis and skipped over SNES so I guess my vote has to go with NES by default.

TK-421
04-28-2013, 22:03
SNES, Super Mario All-Stars, and Earthworm Jim. But, in all honesty, I'd take both the NES and the SNES, I just have more time with the SNES, due to my uncle having one, and we always played it when we went to his house. So I haven't had as much time with the NES, unfortunately.

jp3975
04-28-2013, 22:11
Systems are not that expensive. But SNES games, particularly the 1st party Nintendo games and the better RPG's, are VERY expensive.

As for whoever said neither would make much of an investment - I never said it was I was expecting a return, other than the entertainment, and the coolness of giving my grandchildren the chance to experience the real thing someday (I don't have any yet).

The reason I'm asking about this - I'll be in Japan in June for a couple weeks and I'll definitely be buying an SNES (well, japanese Super Famicom). I'll also be buying some doo-dads for my Sega Saturn. And, I might also buy the "Famicom AV" which is the 2nd gen, updated version of the NES that, in Japan, had AV outputs instead of RF. But it's about $100. Buying both will cut into the game cart budget.

Very cool. Ive always wanted to go to Japan and will someday. I thought about moving there, but didnt finish the degree that would have taken me there.

Hope you enjoy it. If its no trouble, post a followup about your trip.

Grabbrass
04-28-2013, 22:31
Very cool. Ive always wanted to go to Japan and will someday. I thought about moving there, but didnt finish the degree that would have taken me there.

Hope you enjoy it. If its no trouble, post a followup about your trip.

I probably will. I lived there from '91 to '93 teaching English in jr. high schools, and have gone back a couple times since getting married in 2000 (my wife's japanese, so you might as well say it's part of the contract). My wife and daughter will be there for a full month this time, and will stay with the in-laws for the first two weeks. Once I'm there we'll be going to Nikko, Kamakura, and Tokyo/Yokohama. Here's the hotel in Tokyo we'll be staying in for a week. Can't wait.

http://i.imgur.com/Pk1N2qB.jpg

And here's the store where I plan to spend stupid money on video game stuff. Super Potato in Akihabara.

Video tour of Akihabara - Super Potato - YouTube

Super Potato (-Mr), Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. Retro Nintendo, Sega and Sony Store/Shop - YouTube

jp3975
04-28-2013, 22:44
I probably will. I lived there from '91 to '93 teaching English in jr. high schools, and have gone back a couple times since getting married in 2000 (my wife's japanese, so you might as well say it's part of the contract). My wife and daughter will be there for a full month this time, and will stay with the in-laws for the first two weeks. Once I'm there we'll be going to Nikko, Kamakura, and Tokyo/Yokohama. Here's the hotel in Tokyo we'll be staying in for a week. Can't wait.

http://i.imgur.com/Pk1N2qB.jpg

And here's the store where I plan to spend stupid money on video game stuff. Super Potato in Akihabara.

Video tour of Akihabara - Super Potato - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAvB0z3FbM)

Super Potato (-Mr), Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. Retro Nintendo, Sega and Sony Store/Shop - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3g17sTBNs)

You're pretty much living what was once my greatest desire for the future.

I wonder how much they want for that Naked Snake statue.

I collect Metal Gear stuff. Nothing too impressive, but ive got MGS1, Twin Snakes for game cube, the limited editions of mgs3, mgs4, and Rising....as well as peace walker and hd collection...and a few shirts and action figures.

silentpoet
04-28-2013, 22:48
Turbo Grafx 16. Still have mine.

686Owner
04-28-2013, 22:52
Never knew anyone with a super nintendo, so I'll go with the classic nintendo. I have a Nintendo Emulator on my Wii, but not SNES.

686Owner
04-28-2013, 22:53

Is the Super Famicom compatible with US games?

Grabbrass
04-28-2013, 23:07
Is the Super Famicom compatible with US games?

Well, yes and no. There are adapters that you can plug an American cart into and then plug the adapter into the Super Famicom. There's no difference between the two consoles under the skin, but the 'body' of the console and the cartridges makes them physically incompatible. But, in addition to the cartridge adapter, there's also a number of um ... devices out there that just happen to be shaped like a Super Famicom cartridge into which you insert an SD card with certain files on it and voila! ... about 99% of all the games, US and Japanese, are at your fingertips. I'm actually doing some research right now to come up with the list of the few games that cannot be played this way - those are the games I'll be shopping for in Japan. I'll be building a more legit collection later.

Edit: FWIW the same can be done with a US console. I just like the look of the japanese version a lot better, and YMMV but they tend to take better care of their stuff. I'll probably be able to find a nice Super Famicom with all the fixin's, in the box, for about $60.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Nintendo_Super_Famicom_in_box.jpg

Mraforever
04-28-2013, 23:17
My pick is nes. I just hit 390 cartridges in the collection. It was my first system at 6 years old so I'm probably a little biased. I think my second choice would be my intellivision I got from my dad.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Grabbrass
04-28-2013, 23:30
My pick is nes. I just hit 390 cartridges in the collection. It was my first system at 6 years old so I'm probably a little biased. I think my second choice would be my intellivision I got from my dad.

Wow, that is VERY impressive. And I can definitely understand the emotional connection if you were playing on one at that age. The NES came out during my freshman year of college - it's a miracle I ended up graduating, but still it didn't make the impression on me that it would've on a 6 year old. I was really excited when the SNES came out because it was, really at the time, a huge leap forward. And over the last 10 years I've spent a LOT of time playing games on the GBA, which is like a pocket-sized SNES. I just really love any old-school cartridge-based game system.

Now, as for Intellivision - only played with one of those once. I remember the commercials with George Plimpton though.

Goodrich
04-29-2013, 00:16
nes hands down.

skeeter7
04-29-2013, 00:40

:bowdown:

VinnieD
04-29-2013, 00:45
Tough call. There are plenty of games I love on both consoles, but generally SNES games were more refined. Super Metroid beats out classic Metroid by far for example.
If you go SNES here are some must haves.

Megaman X (X2 and X3 are also good)
Chrono Trigger
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (yes it's a long title and make sure you get that exact one, as it's the last revision)
Super Metroid
Super Mario All Stars
Megaman 7
Super Castlevania 4
Super Punch Out
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (If you can find it)
Mortal Kombat 2
T2 Arcade
Super R-Type
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

If you go NES you're still in for some great classic gaming. I recommend getting the top loader as it's more reliable.

Games recommended:
Megaman 1-4 (5 and 6 are ok but not as great as the first 4)
Castlevania 1-3 (Each one is different, all 3 are great)
Zelda 1 and 2
Super Mario Bros 1-3
Operation Wolf
The Guardian Legend
Final Fantasy
Duck Tales
Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers
Double Dragon 1-3
Robocop
Little Nemo the Dream Master
Tetris
Gradius
P.O.W.: Prisoner of War
Bad Dudes
Ninja Gaiden (prepare to swear)
TMNT2 and 3
Bucky O Hare
Dragon Warrioer 1-3

jtmac
04-29-2013, 00:49

I have yet to go, but Super Potato is on my list.

A friend of mine took the classic picture there: Her sitting on the throne of games. Very cool.

Edit: FWIW the same can be done with a US console. I just like the look of the japanese version a lot better, and YMMV but they tend to take better care of their stuff. I'll probably be able to find a nice Super Famicom with all the fixin's, in the box, for about $60.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Nintendo_Super_Famicom_in_box.jpg

You probably know already, but if you get one that's off-color like the one pictured, you can treat the yellowed plastic with a hydrogen peroxide solution to restore its color. (Details available on Google.)

Y'know, as much of a Japan-nut as I am, I actually prefer the US version... especially its color scheme and concave upper face buttons.

When my cousins came over, they brought their games with them. I don't remember what happened to the Super Famicom, but as I recall we ended up just cutting the blocking pieces out of my old SNES and they had fun with it. Emulators are quite good for me. I think the graphical improvements available that way are worth the loss of nostalgia, but sometimes when the newer kids in the family sit down I wish I could hand them an old console and stack of games.

nsl
04-29-2013, 02:48
I've got my old NES in the attic, and it needs a new door and only works with the Game Geanie. I guess the pins are worn out. Any suggestions on getting it back up and running?

Grabbrass
04-29-2013, 04:44

Y'know, as much of a Japan-nut as I am, I actually prefer the US version... especially its color scheme and concave upper face buttons.

When my cousins came over, they brought their games with them. I don't remember what happened to the Super Famicom, but as I recall we ended up just cutting the blocking pieces out of my old SNES and they had fun with it. Emulators are quite good for me. I think the graphical improvements available that way are worth the loss of nostalgia, but sometimes when the newer kids in the family sit down I wish I could hand them an old console and stack of games.

Yeah, I'm aware of the trick with US consoles ... cut out the two tabs inside the cart slot, and japanese carts will fit. I have given it some thought as an alternative, even though I think it's butt ugly compared to the J console. But one thing for sure - I'll be buying 3-4 real Nintendo controllers at Super Potato because original Nintendo SNES controllers (US version) in good condition are getting hard to come by. Plus I just like the colored buttons.

I've got my old NES in the attic, and it needs a new door and only works with the Game Geanie. I guess the pins are worn out. Any suggestions on getting it back up and running?

I had a response down for this, but realized you're probably better off talking to the expert. Send Mraforever a pm. Anyone with a collection like that would know best how to help you out.

ArtificialGrape
04-29-2013, 05:25
Cleaning the basement this weekend I came across an NES controller, zapper, Mario Bros 2 and 3, Doctor Mario and a few other items.

Hauptmann6
04-29-2013, 06:35

A freind of mine has one that has slots for both NES and SNES games. It's new production and I can't remember the name of it.

jellis11
04-29-2013, 07:01
My NES is hooked up in the garage and I keep Contra in it. I play it a few time a week probably. Trying to beat the speed record. Of all the games I have Contra is the only one that gets played. I play my SNES more. Just more games that are fun to play. I say SNES would probably take you farther.

Side note... My N64 gets the most use with Goldeneye staying in the console.

XshooterX
04-29-2013, 07:13
NES for one reason only...Power Pad

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Cooper
04-29-2013, 07:31

Open the thing up (it's not hard) and remove the . . . uh . . . thing with the pins in it. The socket? Whatever. Remove it. Hose it down with plastic-safe contact cleaner and then use a toothbrush to get the grime out.

Unfortunately, the problem is not just the socket, but also the pins in the cartridges. A q-tip with contact cleaner will work there, too.

You can also buy a new socket. Either way you go, it's going to take maintenance. As well built as the systems were, they are still 30 year old electronics with exposed contacts.

#

Regarding the original question, I'd take NES hands down. Legend of Zelda remains my FAVORITE game of all time. However . . . let's acknowledge that there's a difference between FAVORITE and BEST. Best game of all time is Link to the Past on the SNES.

But that's really the only game I ever played on the SNES. So if I were stuck on an island I'd want something familiar. NES it is.

uscgamecock
04-29-2013, 07:52
SNES

They have a game that has Mario 1, 2, and 3 and "the lost worlds" on it. It was fun to see how fast I could go through and beat all 4 of them on a rainy saturday.

NBA Jam

Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Madden

got_metal
04-29-2013, 09:36
SNES gets my vote based on one game alone. Shadowrun. One of the best RPG's of all time in my book. There were lots of good NES games, but the SNES just had more. Some of my favorites were The 7th Saga, Rock n Roll Racing, Final Fantasy series, Super Metroid and Metal Marines.

PVolk
04-29-2013, 09:48
NES.

I remember seeing one for the first time when I was 7 years old at my neighbor's house. I was absolutely astonished that a person could control the character on the TV screen using a controller. I ran home and told my parents about it and we ended up getting one a few months later. 22 years later, I still play it from time to time. I do miss my SNES too though.

DreamWeaver88
04-29-2013, 10:07

Video tour of Akihabara - Super Potato - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQAvB0z3FbM)

Super Potato (-Mr), Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan. Retro Nintendo, Sega and Sony Store/Shop - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3g17sTBNs)

Wow. I wish there was a store even a quarter as awesome as that around here.

DreamWeaver88
04-29-2013, 10:17
My choice is the SNES. It has a ton of awesome games for it.

Anyone looking to buy an NES system....if you want to stick with the real thing, then look for a top loader NES. No more blowing on the carts to get them to work.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/7182038/93324613.jpg

sputnik767
04-29-2013, 10:41
It's amazing that NES consoles still work after 25 years and an Xbox 360 is good for about 2 years at the most.

I don't know about that. I distinctly remember having to blow into the cartridge for 5 mins to get a game to play, only to have it crash halfway into it. Also, comparing the hardware in the NES and an Xbox 360/PS3 is like comparing a 10 year old flip phone to a Galaxy S4. Having said that, my 360 has never given me any trouble and it's older than 2 years.

If I had to pick NES vs SNES, I'd pick the SNES due to the reliability issue. However, nothing beats an Android phone/tablet with an NES/SNES/N64 emulator, paired with a Wii Mote or a PS3/Xbox 360 controller.

ron59
04-29-2013, 10:56
You sure that Japanese device will work here in the U.S.? Our TVs work on the NTSC standard, pretty sure Japan works on PAL. This defines the signal output to the TV.

So sure, if you have a made-for-U.S. system and want to play a Japanese cartridge... that's doable, that part doesn't change. It's the output to the TV I"d worry about.

EDIT. Nevermind. While almost all the countries AROUND Japan use PAL, Japan uses a slightly modified version of NTSC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

Grabbrass
04-29-2013, 11:13
EDIT. Nevermind. While almost all the countries AROUND Japan use PAL, Japan uses a slightly modified version of NTSC.

Yeah I answered that question for myself when I took my NES to Japan with me in 1991. Unfortunately I sold it there ... but no regets really. It got a good price since it was an 'import.'

ron59
04-29-2013, 13:09
Yeah I answered that question for myself when I took my NES to Japan with me in 1991. Unfortunately I sold it there ... but no regets really. It got a good price since it was an 'import.'

Gotcha.

Prior to '95 or so, I don't even think I was aware that there were different TV signal standards. I worked for a company that did on demand video in hotels. We licensed the technology from the company that did it here in the states (On Command at the time)... but the agreement was that we couldn't compete against them so we targeted the luxury hotels of the Pacific Rim. So our system had to be able to support PAL, NTSC, etc. We built set-top boxes which were compatible with each specific market.

I developed the firmware contained in the setup boxes. I learned alot about that stuff. Pretty cool company. You'd be surprised at how much of that market is porn. We had employees who literally were supposed to watch each video that went out to the hotels (we also managed shipping new movies to each installed hotel), whether it was a summer blockbuster or some cheap porn. Several of these were girls.... it was funny to talk to them about it.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack... but the subject caused me to reminisce a bit.

Mraforever
04-29-2013, 14:57
Nintendoage.com would be a good place to join if your looking for any more info. There's lots of pictures and instructions on how to repair and modify anything Nintendo. Also not a bad place to find a cheap nes or SNES. Prices are usually better than eBay.

The system that won't work without a game genie definitely needs a new connector. They are less than 10$ and take 15 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver to replace. The connector is pretty much the only thing that goes wrong on them.

rolltide_pisco
04-29-2013, 16:10
NES and Mike Tyson's Punch Out FTW!!!

686Owner
04-29-2013, 16:36
NES and Mike Tyson's Punch Out FTW!!!

When I installed the Nintendo emulator on my wii, I played this game the most. Made it to Super Macho Man before I gave up.

Jay9928
04-29-2013, 16:45
I like the SNES because of...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/08/super_star_wars_box_art.jpg (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/super-star-wars-other-lucasarts-games-coming-to-wii/)
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120905002835/nintendo/en/images/1/18/Super_Star_Wars_The_Empire_Strikes_Back_%28NA%29.jpg (http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Star_Wars:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back)

Mine lasted 23 years

Altaris
04-29-2013, 17:18
I have one of these sitting in my closet right now :supergrin:

http://www.bomberoza.net/data/collections/consoles/accessories/nintendo-snes-scope.jpg

jp3975
04-29-2013, 18:21
I have one of these sitting in my closet right now :supergrin:

http://www.bomberoza.net/data/collections/consoles/accessories/nintendo-snes-scope.jpg

I used to have one. Need to pick one up again.

Another good fighting game for SNES is Ranma 1/2.

If you see it pick it up.

RyanSBHF
04-29-2013, 19:02
SNES, though the NES is still incredible.

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 2/4
Final Fantasy 3/6
Super Mario World
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Demon's Crest
Ultima The Black Gate
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Super Castlevania IV
Super Metroid

That's just scratching the surface of amazing games you'll find on the SNES.

LSUAdman
04-30-2013, 09:37
SNES - totally.

I've got a nice SNES emulator on my tablet, and have been replaying Final Fantasy 3 and Metroid when I go out of town. Real fun when you pair the device with a PS3 controller.

I've got everything emulated on my main computer, but I have been meaning to buy a good USB SNES controller for a long time. Maybe I'll bite the bullet this year.

pal2511
04-30-2013, 15:41
SNES - totally.

I've got a nice SNES emulator on my tablet, and have been replaying Final Fantasy 3 and Metroid when I go out of town. Real fun when you pair the device with a PS3 controller.

I've got everything emulated on my main computer, but I have been meaning to buy a good USB SNES controller for a long time. Maybe I'll bite the bullet this year.

Amazon has some cheap controllers on their site. I picked up a Xbox wireless adapter to use my wireless controllers ony pc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2