Think You Could Defend Against a knife Attack? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Think You Could Defend Against a knife Attack?

GlockPistola
04-28-2013, 21:35
LiveLeak.com - Think you could defend yourself against knife attack?

ysr_racer
04-28-2013, 21:41
21 foot rule.

NeverMore1701
04-28-2013, 21:42
In a knife fight, the winner goes to the hospital.

No thanks.

JAS104
04-28-2013, 21:52
Not to sound like a chairborne ranger... But I'd drop the dude.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ChuteTheMall
04-28-2013, 22:00
open carry would have prevented this

Tiro Fijo
04-28-2013, 22:00
Not to sound like a chairborne ranger...

Well, you do.

Huaco Kid
04-28-2013, 22:05
As an old man...

I can run much faster than most of the slugs whom inhabit my lifespace.

I'll shoot you tomorrow...

If it's on my plate.

UtahIrishman
04-28-2013, 22:07
With my vast ninja skills acquired right here on GT I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem

Huaco Kid
04-28-2013, 22:10

No thanks.

I've fought in Taekwondo tournaments.

Usually, the Winner goes to the hospital.

michael707767
04-28-2013, 22:11
In a self defense class we learned a bit about defending against a knife attack.... A very little bit. They had a training knife that would give you a shock if it touched you. I learned one thing that day......if someone comes at me with a knife I am going to get cut.

AK_Stick
04-28-2013, 22:12
In a knife fight, everyone gets cut.

The only problem I have with the video, is how everyone seems to be quit as soon as they get cut, or if they shoot someone, that the attack is over.

Friend of mine was involved in a knife and gun attack. Was stabbed several times while grappling, and then shot the guy. He didn't realize he'd been stabbed till the fight was over.

mixflip
04-28-2013, 23:00
Lol that is my video. Someone from Live Leak totally stole it from me and reposted it as their own. It even has my editing text at the beginning and at the end.

As for knife attacks. They are almost always ambushes. You will almost always be cut or stabbed and think you have just been punched. As I always say...watch the hands. Its the hands that kill. If you cant see someones hands and they are closing on you, and your spidey senses are going off...you better get off axis and create distance or draw your gun. One or the other.

Sadly if its an ambush you wont know it until the first strike. Awareness is all you really have...sadly.

sierrafast
04-28-2013, 23:05
It's very hard defend your self at close range when the element of surprise is to your disadvantage.

noway
04-29-2013, 02:38
The other problem with this video if you watch the last parts, you don't want to stay stationary. Moving your feet, will probably keep you more alive than dead. This is critical why you should training to draw and shoot on foot.

Ronny
04-29-2013, 03:25
My best strategy is to not get knife attacked. Maybe 4 years ago while strolling down an alley I came across 3 men slim jimming a car and asked if I could help them.

I said, "Hey guys, locked out, anything I can do to help ya?"

The main gentleman said, "No man."

Then the second one said, "My girl is gonna drop off the spare key, do me a favor and keep an eye out and holler if anyone's coming."

I said, "OK." as I am a helpful kind of guy.

So then they get in the car and hotwire it, having lost their key and take off.

Later that night, after I got in bed it occurred to me, those guys might not have been the true and honest owners of that car, I bet they were stealing it.

So in this story it is well demonstrated that fortune favors both the oblivious and the happy drunk. What all those cops in the video had in common was that they tried to intervene in something or get the guys to identify themselves. The proper response is to be super nice and friendly and ask if you can help, if not then cheerfully leave. If yes, then you're a super swell guy. Either way the strategy is the same, you don't get knife attacked.

singularity35
04-29-2013, 03:47
My best strategy is to not get knife attacked. Maybe 4 years ago while strolling down an alley I came across 3 men slim jimming a car and asked if I could help them.

I said, "Hey guys, locked out, anything I can do to help ya?"

The main gentleman said, "No man."

Then the second one said, "My girl is gonna drop off the spare key, do me a favor and keep an eye out and holler if anyone's coming."

I said, "OK." as I am a helpful kind of guy.

So then they get in the car and hotwire it, having lost their key and take off.

Later that night, after I got in bed it occurred to me, those guys might not have been the true and honest owners of that car, I bet they were stealing it.

So in this story it is well demonstrated that fortune favors both the oblivious and the happy drunk. What all those cops in the video had in common was that they tried to intervene in something or get the guys to identify themselves. The proper response is to be super nice and friendly and ask if you can help, if not then cheerfully leave. If yes, then you're a super swell guy. Either way the strategy is the same, you don't get knife attacked.

Sometimes all the avoidance in the world doesn't cut it...

Oh, and if I was taken by surprise, I'm sure I'd get killed. I do try not to be taken by surprise.

Lior
04-29-2013, 04:12
The Nike Defense is advisable.

BEER
04-29-2013, 04:18

as a knife fighter, no you wouldn't. i guarantee it.

and about that video, and 99.9% of the other knife related media out there, a knife is NEVER an immediate fight stopper. no matter how bad ass you may be, no matter what knife you have, you absolutely, positively are not going to end a fight on the spot with a knife, ever.

you literally have a higher probability of instantly stopping a fight with your bare hands better than you do with a knife.

clancy
04-29-2013, 04:40

and about that video, and 99.9% of the other knife related media out there, a knife is NEVER an immediate fight stopper. no matter how bad ass you may be, no matter what knife you have, you absolutely, positively are not going to end a fight on the spot with a knife, ever.

you literally have a higher probability of instantly stopping a fight with your bare hands better than you do with a knife.

Too true. I have seen several guys get stabbed(fortunately I wasn't one of them) and it isn't like in a movie where the guys gets stabbed and he falls down dead. it can take a few minutes before someone bleeds out, and in one instance 1 guy got stabbed 4 or 5 times in the arms and chest and he was still able to put up a pretty good fight before we got it ended. A baseball bat to the face is a much more effective way to end a fight than a knife.

For the 21 foot rule, my bother has taught Martial Arts for over 35 years. He used to train quite a few cops, and there was one guy who insisted no one could touch him, no matter how close they were. My brother had one of his black belts(a very attractive young woman) square off with a rubber knife covered with red paint. She tore up the cop, it didn't matter how close or how far away she started, the guy just could not prevent himself from being "cut". Instead of learning something, he quit the school and never came back.

eccho
04-29-2013, 04:49
LiveLeak.com - Think you could defend yourself against knife attack? (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2d8_1367104934)

Thanks for the post OP.

I have to admit, it's kinda scary.

ChuteTheMall
04-29-2013, 06:21

Wow, you're pretty quick and perceptive for an Obama voter.
:upeyes:

ChuteTheMall
04-29-2013, 06:26
Cool video, but I'm actually going to criticise Dan Inosanto's knife techniques, safely, over the Internet, but not in person.:whistling:
He's showing a wild and flashy slashing attack at high targets, from reverse grip. Lots of stylish fun, wins tournaments and sells training.:cool:

Consider the much more deadly threat of a prison-style shanking, deep straight thrusting over and over like a sewing machine from contact distance, not dancing around and fencing for the cameras. All distance is closed and the attacker is so motivated, or drugged, or mentally disturbed that he has no concerns about defending himself against you. He just wants to stab you fast and deep and repeatedly, maybe even stir the inserted blade around a bit to like a pump handle to chop up your vital organs. There's not much you can do at this point, you'll have to kill the guy to make him stop, and get immediate first aid yourself just to survive.:faint:

There are training courses such as Force On Force, or 0-to-5' Gunfighting, Close Range Gunfighting, and various unarmed and knife specific courses which can help with speedy techniques but they are no substitute for distance and awareness. Too bad we can't just shoot anybody suspicious who approaches within 21'.

AA_Khost
04-29-2013, 06:36
Always be aware of your surroundings and trust nobody. That fear you feel at times,use it to your advantage. Listen to it.

A good read is The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.

Ronny
04-29-2013, 06:37
Wow, you're pretty quick and perceptive for an Obama voter.
:upeyes:

I voted for the Libertarian candidate, not for Obama.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2013, 07:04
ring ring...

hello?

yes, its 1984, we'd like our video back.

el_jewapo
04-29-2013, 07:32
ring ring...

hello?

This. We want to know how to defend against 21st century knife attacks. This is useless.

Dennis in MA
04-29-2013, 08:43
Forget defending 21st century attacks. Let's learn how to defend long-long-ago attacks.

What the blip do I do against a guy with a light saber and the ability to move objects with his mind?????

Good video. I'm going out to buy a suit of armor.

TX OMFS
04-29-2013, 08:51
you absolutely, positively are not going to end a fight on the spot with a knife, ever.

Open a lung wide and you'll stop them fast. Stabbing probably won't do it but a good slash will.

NMG26
04-29-2013, 08:57
Either way the strategy is the same, you don't get knife attacked.

Two of my neighbors have been stabbed by women in he heart on two different occasions. Both were close contact, unexpected stabbings. One died the other is was showing off his scars the other day.

If the ladies seem crazy, keep your distance.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2013, 09:04
the sacraficial arm/hand.....i used it and got off three shots....

though my attacker was not a ninja like in the video.

okie
04-29-2013, 09:08
Holy hell, that doesn't look good at all:alex:

Huaco Kid
04-29-2013, 09:10
"If do correctly, no can defense."

I could defend against anybody, except Rambo and that long haired guy on Hell On Wheels.

JAS104
04-29-2013, 09:22

Sorry lol I was trying to be ironic. Shoulda added a "(joking)" in there. I agree with you... I'm more freaked out by being stabbed then shot for some reason. I guess the best defense is not getting that close as a LEO. As a civilian I'm not approaching people that closely so I can keep a good distance.., don't know how a cop could defend themselves like that. Knife guy was fast.

lavon_andy
04-29-2013, 09:25
That's why a h2h training class would be helpful. Just carrying doesn't really help when you dot even have time to draw.

GlockViking
04-29-2013, 09:29

I second the motion...best prevention is being aware and running away if you do not have the initiative (or are caught unawares).

Trying to play catch-up at close quarters with a knife-armed opponent is BAD news.

Even for Pekiti Tirsia Kali-trained guys, this is a TOUGH spot to be in...especially is your assailant is motivated

WT
04-29-2013, 09:44
The video is "Surviving Edged Weapons" by the Calibre Press.

The entire 90 minute video is available at this link.

Surviving Edged Weapons - YouTube

walt cowan
04-29-2013, 09:47
i run from from trouble. when it catches up with me and out of breath....i turn on and kill it. makes the police report much more interesting.

Harper
04-29-2013, 09:55
Just decided I need to hit the basketball court and run some suicide drills.

F14Scott
04-29-2013, 10:02
This. We want to know how to defend against 21st century knife attacks. This is useless.

Disable the knife's WiFi and jam its GPS.

TX OMFS
04-29-2013, 10:04
Just carrying doesn't really help when you dot even have time to draw.

I think about this all the time. Carrying a gun may be a false sense of security in a lot of scenarios.

RichJ
04-29-2013, 10:05

Too true. I have seen several guys get stabbed(fortunately I wasn't one of them) and it isn't like in a movie where the guys gets stabbed and he falls down dead. it can take a few minutes before someone bleeds out, and in one instance 1 guy got stabbed 4 or 5 times in the arms and chest and he was still able to put up a pretty good fight before we got it ended. A baseball bat to the face is a much more effective way to end a fight than a knife.

Not that long ago I found myself in an altercation. It was one that I didn't start nor wanted for that matter; but nontheless... there I was!

The fight ended with with me choking him out and me rolling out from underneth him. When I went to get up, I had a hard time putting weight on one leg. That's when I realized I had taken a deep puncture to my hip as well as several other wounds from being stabbed at total of five times. The other wounds were light and didn't to too much damage, but the one got me good.

During the fight, it just felt like I was getting punched. It didn't feel like what you would think it would feel like. I guess the adrenaline kept me from feeling it until about twenty minutes after the fact.

Point is, a knife didn't stop that fight. I could have died once it was over, but during the fight I was 100% throughout the whole thing.

Cybercowboy
04-29-2013, 10:16

That's what I used when a dude pulled a knife on me in Philly and demanded my wallet, watch, and briefcase. Except it wasn't Nikes that I was wearing but regular dress shoes. Still outran the gentleman.

Breadman03
04-29-2013, 10:20

I second the motion...best prevention is being aware and running away if you do not have the initiative (or are caught unawares).

Trying to play catch-up at close quarters with a knife-armed opponent is BAD news.

Even for Pekiti Tirsia Kali-trained guys, this is a TOUGH spot to be in...especially is your assailant is motivated

My plan is for the family to Nike it out. I'll be the sacrificial arm.

There is basically just one fight stopper, and that is unplugging the brain from the body. Anything else is just setting a timer.

Ricky Ricardo
04-29-2013, 10:26

No thanks.
I agree, knives are wicked.

whoops dude
04-29-2013, 11:07
I think about this all the time. Carrying a gun may be a false sense of security in a lot of scenarios.I've been saying this same thing for years. I'm a martial arts practitioner, instructor and gun guy and have always counseled people to take a empty hand to hand combat class to go with their firearm training.

ChuteTheMall
04-29-2013, 13:36
Two of my neighbors have been stabbed by women in he heart on two different occasions. Both were close contact, unexpected stabbings.

Hove you thought about moving?

:outtahere:

PBCounty
04-29-2013, 14:16
I always found this one to be illustrative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMgG_FI2gI

BobbyS
04-29-2013, 15:14
Stay home, lock the door, and keep gun close.

Jay9928
04-29-2013, 16:35
:whistling:

Under Siege - [HD] Knife Fight - YouTube

byf43
04-29-2013, 16:37
Like a fool, I got involved in an 'altercation' at a nightclub near Univ. of Maryland, many years ago.

A guy was making advances on a young lady.

He pulled a knife on her, when she refused to leave with him.
I went for the guy with the knife, my best friend went for the girl.

I caught the knife in my right arm, near the elbow.
The guy wielding the knife caught a broken jaw.

My friend got the girl out of there.
They got married a year later.:whistling:

mj9mm
04-29-2013, 16:45
i'm sure I would have him blinded within 3 or 4 sprays from an artery, then I would draw and finish him off:embarassed:

deputy tom
04-29-2013, 17:09
Tueller's Rule was taught at the Academy. The references I've found call it Tueller Drill. tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

Bren
04-29-2013, 17:24

No thanks.

If "no thanks" was an option, we wouldn't carry guns or learn about self-defense to begin with.

I have seen a case in which an attacker charged with a knife against 3 officers with guns drawned and pointed, who were keeping the 21 foot distance. They hit him 8 of 10 shots, 2 in the eye/forehead area. 2 using 10mm and 1 using .40. He still passed the place they had been standing when he started charging.

clancy
04-29-2013, 18:01
Tueller's Rule was taught at the Academy. The references I've found call it Tueller Drill. tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

In one of my brother's self defense classes he had several students, all cops, have a holstered pistol with their hands at their side. Another student was armed with a rubber knife. He attacked each cop in turn, and he was able to "stab" the cop with the knife every time. Despite several attempts, and their best efforts, not one could get their pistol drawn in time to "shoot" their assailant. These guys all knew what was about to happen and were ready for it, but still couldn't clear leather and point their weapon at the assailant in time to prevent them from being stabbed.

The last student was a young woman, fresh on the force. When she was charged she kicked her assailant right in the chest, knocking him down. A lot of experienced street cops learned a pretty good lesson. Sometimes your pistol should not be your first weapon of choice. As for the student who was the attacker? I had the wind knocked out of me and a bruise the size of her foot on my chest for over a week.

GlockPistola
04-29-2013, 19:29
Thanks for the post OP.

I have to admit, it's kinda scary.

Certainly made me take a knife attack situation even more seriously, no matter what gun I may have on me. Also made me think 2x about ALS holsters.

GlockPistola
04-29-2013, 19:36
I always found this one to be illustrative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqMgG_FI2gI

Dang!:shocked:

NMG26
04-29-2013, 19:43
I had the wind knocked out of me and a bruise the size of her foot on my chest for over a week.

Sounds like you could find a good job in security.

I have been following your "interview" threads.

IronRonin
04-29-2013, 21:12
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw

IronRonin
04-29-2013, 21:13
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw

brisk21
04-29-2013, 21:35
The goal is to try to protect your vital organs. Try to keep the cutting to your arms.

frank4570
04-29-2013, 21:45
What I learned from my training is that I don't EVER want to be in a knife fight. Ever.

ScottieG59
04-29-2013, 21:52
No, not up close and personal.

NDCent
04-29-2013, 22:24
I think about this all the time. Carrying a gun may be a false sense of security in a lot of scenarios.

That's the reason I only carry concealed. Might not help in some situations, but I feel better with a possible element of surprise.

clancy
04-30-2013, 03:49
Sounds like you could find a good job in security.

I have been following your "interview" threads.

Why, because a 20 something woman kicked the hell out of me?

Peace Warrior
04-30-2013, 04:02
ring ring...

hello?

"Oh yeah, well the jerk store called, and there out of you."

Mr. Blandings
04-30-2013, 23:12
Lol that is my video. Someone from Live Leak totally stole it from me and reposted it as their own. It even has my editing text at the beginning and at the end.Well, truth be told that is footage from the classic law enforcement safety training film "Surviving Edged Weapons" produced by Calibre Press (http://calibrepress.com/) back in the 1980's.

NMG26
04-30-2013, 23:18
Why, because a 20 something woman kicked the hell out of me?

Guess I miss-read your post. I took it as you were involved in training self dense. Now I see it was your brothers thing. Enjoyed the story though.

:cool:

mgentry
05-01-2013, 11:34
21 foot rule.

25 to 30 feet for older, slower reacting individuals. Plus trying to put something between you and the bad guy is a good idea. Good luck!

Glock20 10mm
05-01-2013, 12:42
Yes I can! Don't allow myself to get into a situation where I may face the threat! Therefore I can defend against it!

Mushinto
05-01-2013, 13:10
I voted for the Libertarian candidate, not for Obama.

Same thing.

Krav Maglock
05-01-2013, 14:44
The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! - YouTube:wow:

Ralff
05-01-2013, 16:49
The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBkmSvglUc):wow:

I like how the bad guys just sort of stand there and let them do all that stuff to them. Very realistic. :rofl:

I heard about a guy I knew that was attacked with a knife. He was an amateur Thai boxer, about to go pro. He was very good. The knife guy ended up getting beaten into the hospital, but the Muay Thai guy got cut up really bad as well. I figure if he got messed up that bad, I don't have a chance. I'm running for the hills.

VinnieD
05-01-2013, 17:15
I have defended against a knife attack, though that was over a decade ago, it wasn't much of a knife, and the guy was dumb enough to brandish it before trying to use it, giving me the advantage of knowing it was coming. Just locked up his arm and kneed him in the junk, putting him on the ground and regretting his decision.

I don't assume that every knife attack is like that. I was lucky the assailant was just an idiot thinking a knife made him a tough guy, and not someone who had purposeful intent on killing me. There's really not much you can do about a surprise attack period, knife, gun, or bare hands. These knife attack threads really should be about surprise attacks. All you can really do about it is try to stay alert enough not to be surprised, and try not to look like an easy target.

muscogee
05-01-2013, 19:03
These videos show here from time to time. I think they are misnamed. The question should be can you protect yourself from a close range surprise attack. If the assailant had pulled a handgun instead of a knife the results could have been much worse. A good street fighter who knew how to punch and kick could have taken down the officers in the video.

tsmo1066
05-01-2013, 20:52
In a surprise knife attack at close quarters like that, I'll have to be brutally honest and say the best I could likely hope for would be to get a few decent bites and scratches in on my way to the floor so the cops will have plenty of DNA evidence to put away the guy that killed me.

eccho
05-01-2013, 22:21

101st chairborne division....

Sounds like a good youtube video. :rofl:

Krav Maglock
05-02-2013, 08:06
:israelflag:

Krav Maglock
05-02-2013, 08:13
I like how the bad guys just sort of stand there and let them do all that stuff to them. Very realistic. :rofl:

I heard about a guy I knew that was attacked with a knife. He was an amateur Thai boxer, about to go pro. He was very good. The knife guy ended up getting beaten into the hospital, but the Muay Thai guy got cut up really bad as well. I figure if he got messed up that bad, I don't have a chance. I'm running for the hills.

What you need to understand is this video is simply a demonstration of some of the techniques used in Krav Maga. I too was a Muay Thai fighter, I lived at Fairtex when they were in Chandler Az. I personally have used some of these techniques in real time and with full power to defend against screwdriver, knife, dirty needles etc. No technique is 100% but gaining control of an edged weapon follwed by exploding someones testicles in their pants seems to take the fight out of most thugs...

Peace Warrior
05-02-2013, 15:51
If in a fight, I was trained it was all about who has the initiative.

So knowing, you either HAVE TO TAKE the initiative, or HAVE TO REGAIN the initiative, and then do whatever the "heck it takes" to make sure that a threat is either no longer a threat, or you will lose and probably die as a result of failing.

In other words, biting, chewing, gouging, stabbing, shooting, kicking, pinching, hitting with bricks, rocks, or any other object etcetera are all fair in a fight for the initiative.

Just my $0.02, ymmv ;)

Altaris
05-02-2013, 16:15
:whistling:

Under Siege - [HD] Knife Fight - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4hl7NRjWs)

I was going to post this video of myself to show off my skills, but it looks like you found it first.

If I happen to not have my knife on me(which is never), I will simply catch the arm before they stab me, disarm them, and stab them with their own weapon. It is pretty easy.
It's not like I have to worry anyway. My trauma plates can stop multiple .308 rounds, so there is no way a knife is going to hurt me.

TreverSlyFox
05-02-2013, 16:35
I was going to post this video of myself to show off my skills, but it looks like you found it first.

If I happen to not have my knife on me(which is never), I will simply catch the arm before they stab me, disarm them, and stab them with their own weapon. It is pretty easy.
It's not like I have to worry anyway. My trauma plates can stop multiple .308 rounds, so there is no way a knife is going to hurt me.

Must be a pretty big trauma plate to cover your kidneys and that knife is gona cut that Kevlar like butter. Considering how many places he can cut you to bleed you out and how little area your trauma plates actually cover, I'm betting your going to bleed all over the place before it's over.

Peace Warrior
05-02-2013, 16:43
Must be a pretty big trauma plate to cover your kidneys and that knife is gona cut that Kevlar like butter. Considering how many places he can cut you to bleed you out and how little area your trauma plates actually cover, I'm betting your going to bleed all over the place before it's over.
You missed the pertinent thread. It was freekin classic!

And it still is a classic thread I might add. :cool:

Please see this link. (http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/)

JimBianchi
05-02-2013, 17:10
I have a 5 inch scar on my arm to remind me of my 50-50 score in knife fights.

Knife fights are for drunks and fools. I am neither anymore.

03scgt
05-02-2013, 18:03
I'd probably get cut up pretty good before I got a round off

sigman69
05-02-2013, 18:18
I've fought in Taekwondo tournaments.

Usually, the Winner goes to the hospital.

No offense but a street fight is ALOT different than a Tae Kwon Do tournament. Been there done that.

figure if you get attacked my someone with a knife you WILL get cut, the question is how bad.

Hailstorm
05-02-2013, 18:28
Situational awareness. Your best tool to be prepared. If your taken unaware. It is most likely over.

If there is a knife, your gonna get cut. When its over. Remember, apply firm pressure.

GlockPistola
05-02-2013, 20:50
In a surprise knife attack at close quarters like that, I'll have to be brutally honest and say the best I could likely hope for would be to get a few decent bites and scratches in on my way to the floor so the cops will have plenty of DNA evidence to put away the guy that killed me.

The problem with knife attacks is exactly that, most are surprise/ambush attacks.

Peace Warrior
05-03-2013, 01:13
I have a 5 inch scar on my arm to remind me of my 50-50 score in knife fights.

Knife fights are for drunks and fools. I am neither anymore.
QFT.

I've got a scar on my hand and one above the knee. A knife on knife fight is close to a fair fight, and I never want to fight fair.

mixflip
05-03-2013, 01:55
Well, truth be told that is footage from the classic law enforcement safety training film "Surviving Edged Weapons" produced by Calibre Press (http://calibrepress.com/) back in the 1980's.

Yeah I know. This video was mandatory for our police academy years ago. Probably still being showed in police academies today I would think???

robrides85
05-03-2013, 13:17
Same thing.

nyuk nyuk nyuk. No, it isn't.

Huaco Kid
05-03-2013, 13:36
No offense but a street fight is ALOT different than a Tae Kwon Do tournament. Been there done that.

Much agreement. And, I was never a winner.

1) He pulls a knife.

2) I pull a knife.

3) I kick him in the g'nads as hard as I can.

4) I run.

UtahIrishman
05-03-2013, 18:10
The one street knife fight I've witnessed did not turn out at all like you would expect. The guy who pulled the knife ended up getting trashed pretty hard by the other guy who didn't have a knife.

But then the guy with the knife was drunk and the guy who took it away from him (without getting cut to boot) was an Army Ranger originally from Detroit. It was rather funny actually.

RonS
05-03-2013, 18:44
My father was a WWII vet, into knives and a cop after he mustered out. When I joined the Air Force in 1972 and picked SP school he gave me some advice. One piece was pretty simple. If someone attacks you bare handed use your club. If they have a knife, shoot them and do not hesitate or it may be too late.

GlockPistola
05-05-2013, 16:13
My father was a WWII vet, into knives and a cop after he mustered out. When I joined the Air Force in 1972 and picked SP school he gave me some advice. One piece was pretty simple. If someone attacks you bare handed use your club. If they have a knife, shoot them and do not hesitate or it may be too late.

Words of wisdom right there.

professorpinki
05-05-2013, 16:37
What you need to understand is this video is simply a demonstration of some of the techniques used in Krav Maga. I too was a Muay Thai fighter, I lived at Fairtex when they were in Chandler Az. I personally have used some of these techniques in real time and with full power to defend against screwdriver, knife, dirty needles etc. No technique is 100% but gaining control of an edged weapon follwed by exploding someones testicles in their pants seems to take the fight out of most thugs...
You might want to research Dan Inosanto before you start talking about whose technique he's using.

Here's a hint: he studied MT, kali, escrima, jeet kune do, and bjj from the sources.

Krav Maglock
05-07-2013, 07:09
You might want to research Dan Inosanto before you start talking about whose technique he's using.

Here's a hint: he studied MT, kali, escrima, jeet kune do, and bjj from the sources.

Huh? I'm talking about Krav Maga techniques I have personally used in self defense situations. Give it a rest Bruce Leroy.......:chatter: