Fifth-grader suspended at overnight nature camp for Swiss Army knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fifth-grader suspended at overnight nature camp for Swiss Army knife

HerrGlock
04-29-2013, 02:28
http://news.yahoo.com/fifth-grader-suspended-overnight-nature-012034230.html

HandyMan Hugh
04-29-2013, 02:53
Homeschooling would have prevented this! :steamed:

skeeter7
04-29-2013, 03:00
Stuff like this makes me afraid to send my son to school when the time comes in a few years.

eccho
04-29-2013, 04:38
http://news.yahoo.com/fifth-grader-suspended-overnight-nature-012034230.html

Clearly that fifth grader was on the verge of a murderous rampage and had to be stopped.

pipedreams
04-29-2013, 05:02
This is stupidity at its best. All the school related stories at the bottom of the article really tells what is going on in our schools.

Spiffums
04-29-2013, 05:58
Clearly that fifth grader was on the verge of a murderous rampage and had to be stopped.

So true. He deserved to be took down HARD and proned out on the sidewalk with an AR15 screwed into his ear! :whistling:

gwalchmai
04-29-2013, 06:12
This kind of crap will not stop until the government is removed from the educational system. Morons like "Brandi" are just products of the education industry and will always be with us, but common-sense policies could reduce them to a mere inconvenience.

Um, I'm using the "old" definition of "common sense" above...

railfancwb
04-29-2013, 06:12
When I went to Boy Scout camp, knives were available in the camp store for purchase. (Wonder where the one I bought is now.)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ithaca_deerslayer
04-29-2013, 06:15
The times, they are pretty bad.

Steve0853
04-29-2013, 06:50
How do you even go camping without a knife?

cowboywannabe
04-29-2013, 07:16

here here.

besides, thats why they make private schools.....so your children can escape the indoctrination and actually learn.

vikingsoftpaw
04-29-2013, 07:42
This kind of crap will not stop until the government is removed from the educational system. Morons like "Brandi" are just products of the education industry and will always be with us...

Um, I'm using the "old" definition of "common sense" above...

It really is generational indoctrination. I was in a local Dollar General store when I witnessed a mid 20's teacher/mom go off on her 5 year old son. He being a boy, was attracted to the plastic toy gun in the bargain bin. She mutter something about military stuff he was attracted to. She sounded like a living Anne Difranco Song.

I took notice of her car, and yes it was a Subaru.

Poor Kid.

Cali-Glock
04-29-2013, 07:43

Homeschool or quality private school is the only option.

Zer0
04-29-2013, 07:47
I wanna know what the heck they're doing teaching kids to be out in the woods WITHOUT a knife and a gun.

How are they gonna get firewood? Have them gnaw it to pieces?

Cybercowboy
04-29-2013, 07:55
At this point one is guilty of parental malpractice if they allow their children to fall under the authority of public school officials.

winchester62
04-29-2013, 07:56
Usually they don't really camp anymore. They "commune with nature." Whatever that means. You don't need a knife when you're not really learning how to camp. Just raising generation after generation of fat wimps these days.

rhikdavis
04-29-2013, 07:57
I wanna know what the heck they're doing teaching kids to be out in the woods WITHOUT a knife and a gun.

The old two hands and a knee method.

Cybercowboy
04-29-2013, 07:59

They instruct the children to gather firewood by peeing themselves, and if that doesn't work, vomiting. The firewood will then self-assemble itself and likely self-ignite.

Jim85IROC
04-29-2013, 08:00
It really is generational indoctrination. I was in a local Dollar General store when I witnessed a mid 20's teacher/mom go off on her 5 year old son. He being a boy, was attracted to the plastic toy gun in the bargain bin. She mutter something about military stuff he was attracted to. She sounded like a living Anne Difranco Song.

I took notice of her car, and yes it was a Subaru.

Poor Kid.Don't blame the car. Around here it's not at all uncommon to see deer stretched across the hoods of Subarus. :)

jilverthor
04-29-2013, 08:03

They weren't camping. From the article linked to in the OP:

Consequently, Bandermann told TheDC, school officials forced Braden to serve a one-day suspension at camp. He was allegedly isolated in a teacherís lounge area from all the other children. He was forced to eat meals by himself. He was forced to sleep in an area separate from all the other children. He missed an entire day of activities.

If you have a teacher's lounge area, it isn't camping. The kids get to be outdoors and see nature, but I will put money on the fact that each building has running water, electricity, and normal restrooms.

jason10mm
04-29-2013, 09:08
How did these kids eat? With spoons? Nothing but porridge? I suppose one could argue that the plastic knife and spork used for meals are less lethal than the 2.5" utility blade of a SAK, but if these kids had metal utensils then they all should be expelled!

And his stepmom was there? Seems pretty simple to have her ride herd on the kid for his "suspension" rather than try to force the dad to come up. WTF is wrong with people today?

Though I bet it was made explicit that no knives were to be brought (and all pot had to be shared with the teachers) so the kid probably should have known better.

kirgi08
04-29-2013, 09:28
:wow:

PC strikes yet again.'08.

larry_minn
04-29-2013, 09:35
I carried a knife in school from likely 3rd grade on. Every day. Teachers borrowed it many times.
The FIRST time I got "talked to" about it was 1995 when taking a refresher EMT course. I had it as part of my "holster kit" in my LOCKED briefcase in class. Instructor asked if anyone had a knife as he was having trouble with suction device. (manual)
So I put my briefcase on desk/unlock/ remove holster (bandage cutter, shears, window punch, knife, small flashlight......)
He takes it, uses it, hands it back as he tells me if he reports it I will be tossed out.

Huaco Kid
04-29-2013, 09:41
I've been asked (usually at a jobsite) if I have any weapons on my person, because they are not permitted.

Nope. Just tools in my pocket and on my belt.

rednoved
04-29-2013, 09:52
I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a swiss army knife on his trip. I doubt he would be using it though. The problem is, the parent handbook and state/district policy clearly state that knives aren't allowed. While I don't fully agree with the policy, it is what it is. If you don't like their policies, change them or find another schooling option.

Tvov
04-29-2013, 09:58
Are people really surprised these days that a school kid got in trouble for bringing a knife on a school trip? Yes, a Swiss Army Knife is considered a knife. If the principle hadn't taken immediate action, the school system would have been sued for bazillions of dollars because they weren't safe guarding the children, from a child carrying a weapon that they knew about.

My son is about to graduate high school, but even when he was in 5th grade he knew not to bring a knife into school, and we as parents knew not to allow him to. Why would the 5th grader in the story not know about bringing a knife on a school trip?

Having said all this, when I was in 8th grade I went on a school camping trip with the science class. We actually camped in tents at the local state park. My Mom brought me to the local Caldor's and I picked out a 5 1/2 inch fixed blade Estwing knife for the trip (I still have it). We all sat around the campfire at night "whittling" (making wood shavings, lol!) with our knives - including the teachers. Speaking of which, our science teachers carried Swiss Army knives on their belts while in school.

But this isn't the 1970s anymore. And I don't like it anymore than anyone else here. But this is the way it is.

gwalchmai
04-29-2013, 10:08
Stupid idiot principal should have simply confiscated the knife (or better given it to the mom) and followed up with a parental conference.

oldman11
04-29-2013, 10:28
This is stupidity at its best. All the school related stories at the bottom of the article really tells what is going on in our schools.
Yeah you're right. The children are being taught by a bunch of politically correct pansies who are afraid of everything. Unfortunately they are instilling that fear into our children. Afraid of a Swiss Army Knife? Surely they jest. Nope, I guess not, but what can you expect as they are taught by someone who pees their pants at the sight of a Swiss Army Knife.

rednoved
04-29-2013, 10:30
Stupid idiot principal should have simply confiscated the knife (or better given it to the mom) and followed up with a parental conference.

State Law, district policy, and regulations of [sic] California Education Code support Zero Tolerance by requiring the immediate suspension and recommendation for expulsion of any student who possesses or furnishes a firearm, knife, explosive, or similarly dangerous object on school grounds or at a school event off school grounds

So the "Stupid idiot principal" did their job, and followed procedure. Would you not follow procedure? Risk your job? Because some parent didn't bother to read the parent handbook or use common sense?

jason10mm
04-29-2013, 10:42
And to be fair, the teachers behavior is reinforced when the parents sue because little johnny cut himself (accidentally or intentionally). If the teachers have to take all the responsibility then who can blame them for mitigating all the risks?

itstime
04-29-2013, 10:58
Open carry would have prevented this... Seriously, did I read that correctly?? His father had to get him for a one day suspension and bring him back to the camp???? Unbelievable..

gwalchmai
04-29-2013, 11:04
So the "Stupid idiot principal" did their job, and followed procedure. Would you not follow procedure? Risk your job? Because some parent didn't bother to read the parent handbook or use common sense?That's right, Ed, I wouldn't have made a mountain out of this molehill. I doubt she'd risk her job by just quietly confiscating the knife.

RichJ
04-29-2013, 11:19
Did you see the pic of the boy holding the "knife" in question?

It was one of these

http://swissarmyblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Classic1.jpg

BenjiEDF
04-29-2013, 11:27
This is what tyranny looks like.

fnfalman
04-29-2013, 11:30
Did you see the pic of the boy holding the "knife" in question?

It was one of these

http://swissarmyblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Classic1.jpg

It doesn't even have a can opener or a corkscrew.

pmcjury
04-29-2013, 11:33
The kid should be punished harshly. Only a fool would bring a swiss army knife on an overnight trip to the woods. Where and the hell are this kids parents. What were they thinking letting him go into the woods without a good fixed blade knife.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

DanaT
04-29-2013, 13:48
I bought my Daughter one of these when she was 4. We were in Zermatt and I thought it would be a good idea. They even engraved it with her name.

http://www.victorinoxswissarmyknives.com/images/myFirst.jpg

http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/The-Original-Swiss-Army-Knives/The-Original-Swiss-Army-Knives-small-size-84-mm/My-First-Victorinox/0.2363.T

moeman
04-29-2013, 16:14
How can we contact the distric t and get these people fried?! If they don't have that much common sence they should be the one's suspended.

They allow kids to use scissors and get 6' up on monkey bars right? This is f'n on the same scale of risk.

silentpoet
04-29-2013, 17:12
I am all for the death penalty for teachers and education officials this ****ing stupid.

Bruce H
04-29-2013, 17:22
Every supposedly adult should wake up in intensive care after three or four months. From those making assinine rules to those inforcing them.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-29-2013, 19:53
I gave my boy his very first knife, a swiss army, last year when he turned 6.

He's also got 2 BB guns and a bow :)

Oh, and a .308.

Tx-SIG229
04-29-2013, 19:55
when I was stationed in west Germany, we weren't allowed to have personal knives of any kind in the field with us

HollowHead
04-29-2013, 19:58
Homeschool or quality private school is the only option.

Public schools are in the state they are in today because good people couldn't be bothered to run for the local school board. They share the blame with the idiots who do. HH

Fox
04-29-2013, 20:22

Wars are not won by craven retreat in the face of the enemy.

This is a culture war, the enemy needs to be confronted, they need to be defeated utterly.

UtahIrishman
04-29-2013, 20:55
So the "Stupid idiot principal" did their job, and followed procedure. Would you not follow procedure? Risk your job? Because some parent didn't bother to read the parent handbook or use common sense?

I don't call suspending a child for carrying a pocket knife common sense. It borders on the ridiculous.

A lot of people in Nazi Germany followed procedure too. That may sound a bit strong but it's exactly the direction I believe things are going..."don't question authority...do as your told...be sure and follow all procedures "

If I had a kid going to camp these days I think I'd give him a nice bowie...let 'em chew on that.

rednoved
04-29-2013, 21:39
Common sense says a California elementary school probably doesn't allow children to carry knives to school or school events. It's California and 2013. Things are not as they once were, or as they should be.