LASD Pistol Team at Biscailuz Range - 1936 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LASD Pistol Team at Biscailuz Range - 1936

Andy P
04-29-2013, 05:00
What a lovely film and a true piece of history. The one guy is very close to getting his right ear pierced. Hearing protection was a piece of cotton. :supergrin:
LASD Pistol Team at Biscailuz Range - 1936 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jDP8BRSEjrA#!)
I am sorry if this is a repost, I did a search but nothing turned up.

Adjuster
04-29-2013, 08:05
Thanks, cool old video.

/

ChiefWPD
04-29-2013, 08:09
Very interesting film. Boy, times have changed! Some of that gun handling was pretty scary.

:shocked:

Dennis in MA
04-29-2013, 08:34
When they do that in China and NorthKorea today, we call them stupid. Just sayin.

fnfalman
04-29-2013, 08:38
The two guys sharing the gum or whatever it was...kinda Broke Back Mountain, don't you guys think?

CAcop
04-29-2013, 08:57
The cotton ass hearing protection was funny. I heard stories from that era about cig butts in the ears for hearing protection. Or rounds shoved into the ears. Even then you would get ribbed for being a "female genitalia" for using hearing protection.

CAcop
04-29-2013, 08:58
The two guys sharing the gum or whatever it was...kinda Broke Back Mountain, don't you guys think?

You know someone off camera was making that kind of joke while they did that. I think they would have used the word "swish" back then.

fnfalman
04-29-2013, 08:58
The cotton ass hearing protection was funny. I heard stories from that era about cig butts in the ears for hearing protection. Or rounds shoved into the ears. Even then you would get ribbed for being a "female genitalia" for using hearing protection.

The more savvy type would chew up some papers and blocked their ears with these wads.

TBO
04-29-2013, 09:27
They had a machine gun!!!

Militarization militarization militarization! :rant:

fnfalman
04-29-2013, 09:29
They had a machine gun!!!

Militarization militarization militarization! :rant:

It gotta start somewhere.

ateamer
04-29-2013, 10:21
And look at their uniforms. Sam Browne belts with a cross strap and a dress cap - just like the military uniforms of the day. How dare they wear a uniform that is not 75 years out of date but something considered as practical for that era. Damn JBTs.

MtBaldy
04-29-2013, 12:12
Cool video. Some of the practices depicted were like wow!

Tiro Fijo
04-29-2013, 12:33
I wonder how many Depts. today reload like that? :whistling:

Many mock the rustic and "antique" style used by these guys but dollars to doughnuts these fellas could shoot rings around today's Tacticool Acqua di Giņ metrosexuals!! :supergrin:

When revolvers ruled the World!!!

janice6
04-29-2013, 12:45
Really interesting. Thank you.

ChuteTheMall
04-29-2013, 14:14
And look at their uniforms. Sam Browne belts with a cross strap and a dress cap - just like the military uniforms of the day.

Their backs just weren't as strong as today's cops, who don't need that sissy strap to hold up their belts (with cuffs and radios and tasers and OC and mags and cellphones and keys and tactical lights and gloves and batons and whatnot).

:fred:

RonS
04-29-2013, 15:22
My 8th birthday present was a weekend on the farm and a box of police range reloads that my dad brought home. Seeing the reloading sequence was pretty interesting. Two man progressive press. . . Maybe Dillon could do something with that. Need some pretty good team work. I have to admit I cringed when I saw the guys picking up spent bullets with their bare hands. A few, sure, every day for 20 years? No thanks.

mac66
04-30-2013, 11:21
Their backs just weren't as strong as today's cops, who don't need that sissy strap to hold up their belts (with cuffs and radios and tasers and OC and mags and cellphones and keys and tactical lights and gloves and batons and whatnot).

:fred:

Straps went away because they can be used to grab the officer. It was a self defense thing.

And yeah, cops carry a lot of stuff today. Back in the 70s when I hit the streets all we carried was a revolver, 18 rounds of ammo (6 in the revolver and 2 reloads) handcuffs and a radio. That was before vests were popular as well.

boone10
04-30-2013, 17:10
Couldn't hear the audio--had cotton in my ears.