Getting America back on track [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting America back on track

17119jfkioe
04-29-2013, 12:20
I was pondering an idea last night at the dinner table and proposed a possible plan (good aliteration?)

It would be a good idea for every boy and girl, upon graduation from high school, to mandatorily enlist in the service. Of course they would be used to maintain a standing army but some could go into programs for road building, government/state facilities, and other things the country might need. This would cut down on costs as the labor would essentially be free. The service man or woman would also gain skills through these projects (Civil engineer?) Hopefully they would gain a sense of pride in this country and in themselves for completing projects with their own hands. This is just a thought in a very infantile stage, but would this work? What are any possible legalities? Unconstitutional?

Steve0853
04-29-2013, 12:31
What you would find is that deadbeats are very ingenious at being deadbeats.

Productive people would be cheated out of two years of their life while the deadbeats scammed their way through the obligation without really changing anything.

cowboywannabe
04-29-2013, 12:33
What you would find is that deadbeats are very ingenious at being deadbeats.

Productive people would be cheated out of two years of their life while the deadbeats scammed their way through the obligation without really changing anything.

bingo.

Mrs. Tink
04-29-2013, 12:36
1) Labor would not be free--you have to pay people in the military.

2) You would have to train people for whatever kind of work you want them to do, while paying them. This is massively expensive.

3) Is the purpose of the military to build roads, engage in civil projects or otherwise take on public works functions?

4) The last time we had a draft, it didn't work out that well. Involuntary service will be met with resentment and an attempt to skate by many people. It would likely end up counterproductive.

I suppose I could go on. But it seems to me that involuntary service is always subject to certain inefficiencies due to human nature.

btr
04-29-2013, 12:38
Making all young people slaves of the government will not "solve" our problems.

ray9898
04-29-2013, 12:51
Making all young people slaves of the government will not "solve" our problems.

Yup.....

somebodybuymeaglock
04-29-2013, 14:16
I can already see a bunch of holes in that...

1. 50% men and 50% women, I assume? You've just created a dating service! You just put a bunch of herny youngsters together...
2. Now that youve created this dating service, preggy women will need to get out. The idea of mandatory service is already gone.

What I'm saying is, mandatory srevice is not happening.

By that time, kids have already endured forced government institutions for most of their lives, I doubt they would welcome more.
I could keep going...

devildog2067
04-29-2013, 14:23
IIt would be a good idea for every boy and girl, upon graduation from high school, to mandatorily enlist in the service. Of course they would be used to maintain a standing army but some could go into programs for road building, government/state facilities, and other things the country might need. This would cut down on costs as the labor would essentially be free.

In what universe is housing, feeding, and training 6M+ people per year "essentially free"?

This is just a thought in a very infantile stage, but would this work?

Nope. More government is not the answer. All that would happen with a program like this is the establishment of another government agency with more bureaucrats and administrators and clerks, all with federal jobs getting paid federal wages and getting federal retirement benefits.

We need less government, not more.

GlocknSpiehl
04-29-2013, 16:38
Better idea: all politicians are term limited to 1 term in office, then must take 2 terms off before running again for any office. E.G. 1 two year term in Congress, 4 years off before running for any other office. 1 six year term in Senate, 12 years off before running for another office. 1 four year term as President, 8 years off before running for another office.

Ditto at the state level and local level.

Jay9928
04-29-2013, 16:41
1. Cut foreign aid

....many many more

Khao
04-29-2013, 16:47
1.) End prohibition and start taxing America's largest cash crop.

2.) Use that money towards **** that needs it.

3.) ????????????

4.) PROFIT!

devildog2067
04-29-2013, 17:11
1. Cut foreign aid

Doesn't matter in the slightest... that's like telling someone who is having a heart attack to eat less cholesterol.