HerrGlock
04-29-2013, 15:12
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/jim-inhofe-ammunition_n_3179117.html

Baba Louie
04-29-2013, 15:34
NOOOOOOO!!! SAY IT ISN'T TRUE.... :whistling: :upeyes: :wavey:

ChiefWPD
04-29-2013, 15:38
So that's where all that .22 long rifle ammo went!!

:whistling:

CBennett
04-29-2013, 15:39
Lol nice...no hoarders have started a artificial "shortage" thats making other people now grab up as much as they can when ever they can just to be able to shoot on any kind of regular basis..I see guys now when ever they see ammo grabbing it up as much and as many as they can..when these were guys that NORMALLY would have just bought a box or 2....Now they are buying 10 boxes instead...same deal with .22 ammo guys that normally would buy ONE brick will buy 10 because they are "scared"....Luckily I have a small stash...probably enough to shoot 1/2 the year BUT if things dont get back to normal(meaning where you can just go in and buy 1 or 2 boxes on a regular basis to replace what you shoot..I will be in the same boat by end of july or so)

Kozel
04-29-2013, 16:46
So that's where all that .22 long rifle ammo went!!

:whistling:

I heard that when Government places an order it takes priority. All other calibers are postponed until order is filled.

I could be wrong but I do not care either way.

Ragnar
04-29-2013, 17:11
I heard that when Government places an order it takes priority. All other calibers are postponed until order is filled.

You are wrong. Government contracts only get priority if they write it into the contract.

Kozel
04-29-2013, 17:19
You are wrong. Government contracts only get priority if they write it into the contract.

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/5781-republican-led-ammo-act-would-limit-dhs-stockpiling

Like I said. I do not care either way. Knock yourself out trying to make me care.

capnjim01
04-29-2013, 17:54
I don't know much about federal contracts but do the place orders with EVERY manufactures? It seem to me that they would use one manufacture and wouldn't buy several grains of ammo.

clancy
04-29-2013, 18:31
I was in 3 local gun shops today. All were well stocked with ammunition. The prices, however, were way over the top. A box of .30-.30 Remington Core-Lokts were $39.99 at one shop. 50 round boxes of .22lr were 9.99 at another, and .223 fmj were going for 29.99 for a box of 20 at another shop.

I am glad I took up fishing.

wrenrj1
04-29-2013, 18:43
Has anyone checked in to the manufacturers to determine how much production has gone up in the last few years? Maybe they are in on this as well. Doesn't Cerebus (sp) own a lot of the ammo manufacturing capacity in the country? Are they not off the liberal edge? I thought I read at one time (of course no source) that the liberal agenda was to buy em, and slowly shut em down...

So much conjecture, so little facts!

Ragnar
04-29-2013, 19:22
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/5781-republican-led-ammo-act-would-limit-dhs-stockpiling

Like I said. I do not care either way. Knock yourself out trying to make me care.

Yes, you don't care. Which is why you linked to an article and replied twice about something you don't care about. :upeyes:

hi-power man
04-29-2013, 20:05
On the weekend, I went by a Fin Feather Fur Outfitters which is 250 miles away from where I live, with billboards by the interstate. Stopped in to see what the place was about. When I went into the firearms area, they had dozens of shelves stacked with ammo. Some like, 9 mm, had a one box limit :shocked: , but people were buying. The only thing indicating any type of ammo shortage was the signs.

I know, the "shortage" situation in my area has been created by hoarders and resellers. Some of the fellows, hoarders or would like to be hoarders, I shoot with are talking about having 6K to 10K rounds before they will feel comfortable. :wow: I've seen resellers at the flea market, one outdoor range parking area, one indoor range parking area and one gun shop parking area.

Big Bird
04-29-2013, 20:07
It wasn't Federal Agents that came in and cleaned out the 17 bricks of .22 my LGS got in the other day in 2 hours. Nor was it the Feds that bought all the Varget or all the Sierra 50 grain .22 Blitzking Varmint Bullets

plp
04-29-2013, 20:11
Don't know about all the conspiracies, what I do know is people whom normally never have more on hand than what they intend to shoot at the range that weekend are now stockpiling thousands of rounds. Simple demand has outpaced supply, and any time that happens, prices rise.

An assistant manager of a local store was recently fired because every time an ammo shipment came in, a select group of friends would get unlimited access to the shipment, depleting inventory before the regular clientele even had a chance.

My local shooting range still gets regular shipments of ammo 3 times a week, and has a maximum 2 box per customer limit at normal retail prices. A new shop just opened, and while the price of firearms are compatible with most online sources, their ammo costs are triple what is normal. When I asked, they said they could not get ammo through their usual distributors, were having to buy from secondary sources, and were selling at no profit simply to have ammo to go with their firearms sales.

mj9mm
04-29-2013, 20:23
when the deliveries are rare and slim it doesn't take much to clear the shelves. some of you talk of hoarders, but believe me, they aren't around here, when there has been a two box limit it is very hard to hoard. "The DHS, in response, denies any claim of excess bullet purchases, and says the 247 million rounds at its disposal (with an estimated 750 million in planned-for purchases over the next few years) is necessary to fulfill its organizational goals. " makes me wonder what their organizational goals are! and another thing, why does the Social Security Agency need to be buying millions of rounds for, is there some kind of retiree uprising in the wind?

mj9mm
04-29-2013, 20:24
Don't know about all the conspiracies, what I do know is people whom normally never have more on hand than what they intend to shoot at the range that weekend are now stockpiling thousands of rounds. Simple demand has outpaced supply, and any time that happens, prices rise.

An assistant manager of a local store was recently fired because every time an ammo shipment came in, a select group of friends would get unlimited access to the shipment, depleting inventory before the regular clientele even had a chance.

My local shooting range still gets regular shipments of ammo 3 times a week, and has a maximum 2 box per customer limit at normal retail prices. A new shop just opened, and while the price of firearms are compatible with most online sources, their ammo costs are triple what is normal. When I asked, they said they could not get ammo through their usual distributors, were having to buy from secondary sources, and were selling at no profit simply to have ammo to go with their firearms sales.
where do you live, I know not near me:faint:

Kozel
04-29-2013, 21:09
Yes, you don't care. Which is why you linked to an article and replied twice about something you don't care about. :upeyes:

I can reply to something I do not care about all day long. Do you have a problem with that?

John B
04-29-2013, 21:13
DHS employees must be the ones selling all of their ammo on the on line auction sites for a nice profit.

John B
04-29-2013, 21:13
DHS employees must be the ones selling all of their ammo on the on line auction sites for a nice profit.

vikingsoftpaw
04-29-2013, 21:58

This is true. I remember back after Desert Storm. The U.S. Military needed to purchase 62 grain stuff that they forgot earlier.

First in line is the Gov't.
Second is Commercial Ammunition.
Third is supplies for handloaders.

There were spot shortages for components at ever gunshows at the time.

Even grade 3 brass became expense if you could find it.

Shortages are not new, but they've never this severe.

BobbyS
04-29-2013, 23:53
This is true. I remember back after Desert Storm. The U.S. Military needed to purchase 62 grain stuff that they forgot earlier.

First in line is the Gov't.
Second is Commercial Ammunition.
Third is supplies for handloaders.

There were spot shortages for components at ever gunshows at the time.

Even grade 3 brass became expense if you could find it.

Shortages are not new, but they've never this severe.

Check this

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf