Decided to grow a full beard for 1 year... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decided to grow a full beard for 1 year...

MSims
04-29-2013, 19:42
So i decided to grow a full beard for 1 year... And see if i meet a true woman that will wanna be with me for my personality not my looks... What you guys predict? Any guys here with this experience?

Dennis in MA
04-29-2013, 19:48
Oh yeah. The Duck Dynasty/ZZTop look is hot.

I can grow a mean set of muttonchops that look like a wolf attacked them. Otherwise, facial-hair challenged. So I may think its sexy. Lol

Cali-Glock
04-29-2013, 20:13
I used to generally grow my beard out in the winter and shave it off (or down to a mustache or goatee) in the summer...

When I met my wife in 2002 I had a goatee, that fall/winter I grew my beard out. When we got married in 2003 I still had my beard... and I still have not shaved...

As documented in my portrait to the left, the last time my face saw a razor was in 2002.

jtmac
04-29-2013, 20:13
I don't have a year's worth of beard growth, but I have a full beard kept relatively short.

I can't tell you what most women think of the beard itself, but I can tell you I get FAR more attention with the beard than without. In terms of lady-attracting value, I'd say it ranges from least 3/4 of a suit to maybe a suit and a half.

Unfortunately, the only woman I want hates beards. I am not willing to shave it, as it is a part of my identity (I honestly never had a recognition of self when I looked in the mirror until I grew my beard). The divide in opinion makes me sad.

I would do anything for love... but I won't do that.

Foxterriermom
04-29-2013, 20:21
A nicely trimmed beard on a man is to be admired and appreciated. An unkept scraggly beard is nasty and a critter trap. And please remember to keep the neck area trimmed up as well.

Gregg702
04-29-2013, 20:23
My wife won't let me shave my beard, says I look too young without it.

04-29-2013, 20:27
I wish I could grow a beard or even a proper mustache.

Due to my genes, I get about 25 on my right side and about 21 on the other.

MaxxAction
04-29-2013, 20:29
That thing is gonna be gnarly about 9 months in....

elsolo
04-29-2013, 21:37
Not only will you find a lady that is less interested in her mate's physical appearance, you will be forced to accept a similar strategy.

(if you go 12 months without trimming and go homeless style)

RightGlock1
04-29-2013, 21:46
I've had a full beard for 18 years. Well groomed. Duck Dynasty is poison (I love that show)....now I'm letting mine grow long. Wife hasn't said much.......yet. My kids get a kick out of it.

Aragorn77
04-29-2013, 21:52
Not only will you find a lady that is less interested in her mate's physical appearance, you will be forced to accept a similar strategy.

(if you go 12 months without trimming and go homeless style)

LOL... the thought of no one in the relationship shaving or trimming for 12 months.... NOT funny.

I've had a beard forever. The ladies don't seen to mind that, but I'm not so sure they like the "full" beard look. Nicely trimmed is the way to go in all cases ;)

Cybercowboy
04-29-2013, 22:01
Ladies, of which I assume there are many on GlockTalk just based on demographics alone, I do not have facial hair to speak of. I am essentially hairless on the facial area. Yes I do have hair elsewhere, namely my head and nether regions, but not my chin/upper lip area. I am proud to state this for the record. It is genetic and also, I imagine, more antiseptic. At any rate, you hairy wonders can carry on now.

Speleothem
04-29-2013, 22:09
Above the shoulders...only eyebrows. :supergrin:

AA_Khost
04-29-2013, 22:26
Served over 20 years in the military. A handful of times in Vietnam I went a couple weeks without shaving and a handful of times after Vietnam I went a few days with a lot of stubble. After I retired I grew a full beard,was divorced less then a year later. She hated it!

Grew it back when I did contract work in Afghanistan. Came back home with it and my second wife hated it and demanded I shave. I didn't and we divorced months later.

Today I still have the beard though its peppered with gray the younger (younger then me anyway) ladies like it. :supergrin:

I think I'll keep it awhile longer! :whistling:

Triple7
04-29-2013, 22:35
pics.....or it didn't happen.

Jakestir
04-29-2013, 22:38
I rock the beard. I keep it trimmed around an inch or two long. Girl friend loves it and wont let me shave it. Probably because I look like I am 15 when I am clean shaven.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JimBianchi
04-29-2013, 23:12
I grew mine out for a three weeks before the inch drove me crazy.

It was keeping me up at night, so I had to shave.

My wife really didn't care too much, but I think she was glad to see it go.

It was 50% gray, other than that, not a gray hair hardly on my head, so with it gone, I look 15yrs younger.

skeeter7
04-29-2013, 23:18
My wife won't let me shave my beard, says I look too young without it.

You're not alone. My wife says the same exact thing. I grew the goatee after we were going out for a couple years and she told me to never get rid of it because I look like a 12 year old boy without it. Twelve years later, its still there.

mr00jimbo
04-29-2013, 23:19
My girlfriend is pro scruff/beard, doesn't like clean shaven men.
But big beards turn most women off. Keep it neatly trimmed.

WarCry
04-29-2013, 23:31
My various appearances....

http://www.redgallows.com/looks.jpg

I would like to say the middle pic is my "normal" appearance, but I'm often lazy about shaving, so the first one is seen pretty often. The third one, that's from last July, and is the first time I've been completely clean shaven since about 1996-97.

glock_19guy1983
04-30-2013, 07:42
I grew a beard to cover the long scar on my face. I liked the josey wales look, but the wife hated it.

ColdSteelNail
04-30-2013, 07:45
For years every time I would get a hair cut my wife would say "why did you get it cut so short"? Last time she said that I said "ok, I'll just let it grow". Its almost to my shoulders now and she is too stubborn to say anything and I'm too stubborn to get it cut. I don't know how long this may go on.

Cali-Glock
04-30-2013, 07:46
I grew mine out for a three weeks before the inch drove me crazy.

It was keeping me up at night, so I had to shave.

I have the opposite problem; shaving makes me itch, or worse, no matter what shaving my neck results in ingrown hairs and other nasies; electric razors, various wonder blades, shaving creams, gels and the like did not do much.

I am much happier since I stopped shaving.

Beard trimmer - yes!

itstime
04-30-2013, 07:51
I wish I could. It doesn't grow in well. I feel Chuck Norris has something to do with it...

Glock30Eric
04-30-2013, 07:53
Served over 20 years in the military. A handful of times in Vietnam I went a couple weeks without shaving and a handful of times after Vietnam I went a few days with a lot of stubble. After I retired I grew a full beard,was divorced less then a year later. She hated it!

Grew it back when I did contract work in Afghanistan. Came back home with it and my second wife hated it and demanded I shave. I didn't and we divorced months later.

Today I still have the beard though its peppered with gray the younger (younger then me anyway) ladies like it. :supergrin:

I think I'll keep it awhile longer! :whistling:

wow, you went through hard time. Divorced twice... damn

Glock30Eric
04-30-2013, 07:55
I think I should do the same. Of course I will trim my neck. I hate when it grows on my neck area.

Travclem
04-30-2013, 08:41
Do it. This is what I've been rockin for a few years.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/229802_10151075869178907_247125455_n_zps7dd7d43f.jpg

LSUAdman
04-30-2013, 09:09
The beard is the single most manliest thing you can do. I've been rocking mine since 2000 - in different forms. Goatee, Van Dyke, and now a trimmed beard. I grew it out last winter when I started watching Duck Dynasty - knew about five guys who did the same thing, so it didnt feel weird.

Now that it's warming up, it's trimmed back again. Just remember to get a GOOD trimmer - not one of those Wal Mart Specials for $19.

And don't let the weight of manhood cause you to shave it. Plenty of hairless apes out there are just jealous.

PhotoFeller
04-30-2013, 09:21
I decided to go to the 'stubble' look when I discovered how easy it is with a good trimmer. I have salt and pepper whiskers that are heavy in the chin and mustache areas but less dense on the cheeks. It always looks like I haven't shaved for three or four days.

I had to suit up and shave every working day for 40+ years during my business career, so now I am strictly a casual guy. The close-cropped beard is easy to maintain and, frankly, I like the 'rugged' look. My wife isn't sayin' much about it, which tells me she doesn't like it.

I have a Wahl trimmer with multiple snap-on guides that came in a kit from WalMart for about $30. It works like a charm.

iontrap
04-30-2013, 09:22
It's interesting to see how women you know react to you when they see you for the first time with a beard. I got alot of second and third glances my way, didn't tell my wife though.

mixflip
04-30-2013, 10:10
You will attract a woman of substance and not looks... herself most likely.

But then again youtuber Corey (from Corey & Erika) has a pretty hot girlfriend and he has a beard.

Foxterriermom
04-30-2013, 10:14
You will attract a woman of substance and not looks... herself most likely.

Or some stinky hippie that doesn't shave her legs, pits, or other regions.

glock_collector
04-30-2013, 15:07
I predict that in 1 year your right arm will be bigger, thats all...

pugman
04-30-2013, 15:59
I wish I could grow a beard or even a proper mustache.

Due to my genes, I get about 25 on my right side and about 21 on the other.

Ditto.

I can grow a goatee...but beyond that it looks terrible.

Sgt.K
04-30-2013, 19:28
I started growing mine as I was ETSing in 1989 and have had it since. I keep it pretty close right now though I do let it grow out a couple of trimmer clicks in the winter. I've noticed most are scraggly the first year or so, mine was anyway then they shape up. Wife likes it and so do I. I do keep my neck sort of clean though. There's a pic of me in my profile.

sappy13
04-30-2013, 20:34
I rock the beard. I keep it trimmed around an inch or two long. Girl friend loves it and wont let me shave it. Probably because I look like I am 15 when I am clean shaven.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

My gf is the same way. She hates when i clean shave. says i look too young. I sometimes like to shave it just to piss her off, lol

EOS
04-30-2013, 20:49
I'll never be without some sort of facial hair. Rockin the long goatee right now.

F350
04-30-2013, 20:58
I used to generally grow my beard out in the winter and shave it off (or down to a mustache or goatee) in the summer...

When I met my wife in 2002 I had a goatee, that fall/winter I grew my beard out. When we got married in 2003 I still had my beard... and I still have not shaved...

As documented in my portrait to the left, the last time my face saw a razor was in 2002.

New comer; I have only shaved my full beard once (for only a couple months till I lost 20 pounds) since 1980. Kept neat and trimmed most the time, one winter in about 1990 I did let it grow all winter, none of them Ducker Boys can grow anything close to it.

bigchuck83
04-30-2013, 21:10
Op, go for it, for the last 2 years i've grown a beard in the winter and shaved in the summer. This year i'm just rocking the mustache and am determined to get a Sam Elliot or Tom Selleck quality mustache grown no matter how long it takes. So far women seem to like it after all seeing all these city boys around here so clean shaven.

.264 magnum
04-30-2013, 21:16
I predict that in 1 year your right arm will be bigger, thats all...

Line of the month right there LOL!!!!!

Cali-Glock
04-30-2013, 22:18
New comer; I have only shaved my full beard once (for only a couple months till I lost 20 pounds) since 1980. Kept neat and trimmed most the time, one winter in about 1990 I did let it grow all winter, none of them Ducker Boys can grow anything close to it.

:notworthy:

In context I am indeed a newbie!!!