Thought I found a repair shop, the search continues. :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thought I found a repair shop, the search continues. :(

larry_minn
04-30-2013, 01:48
I heard from locals that a guy who had worked in dealerships for yrs/well trained had opened his own shop. (the only way to make *real* money is to work for yourself)

Well I was told he knew what he was doing, cheaper then dealership. (Ok 2nd part not hard to do)
So I have some handeling issues. Loose at less then 30mph but from there to 80 its smooth??? Felt like front end issue.
He says that is his prime area. His brother will be joining him in a yr to concentrate on engines. (so no rebuilds right now/ water pumps, starters, replacement stuff)
I personally LOVE a person who "knows his limitations" was getting dang good feeling about this guy.
So I take it in, leave it for two days. He calls and says "Its a tire seperation, I don't have any that would fit/just drive it to tire shop and get at least two new ones...."
So I come to pick it up, ask for bill "no charge I didn't fix anything, just moved bad tire to Pass rear where it shouldn't matter as much" I tried to hand him a ten spot (I know still cheap of me) but he refused. (Now I am planning some work for him on wife's car)
Anyway I have spare car. Same make, model with blown engine (headgasket) I got for $170 I swipe parts as needed/I have time. So I pull two tires, mount one on drivers side of good car and can't get lug nuts loose on pass side. (remember this is side/tire he just moved) I try impact wrench (it just hammers) I double check direction, change lug nuts. 3 of the 5 are cross threaded... I "assume" he stuck lug nute in his impact and rammed them on studs. Then didn't use a torc device of any kind.
So back to parts car and new lug nuts. (remember I took off 10 from car that has not been moved in yrs with no issues, drivers side came free easy, just pass side (which he tightened) are screwed up....
Then I break hub cap putting it back on. (my fault) Maybe being ticked didn't help...
My question is. 1Never go back/forget it? 2 Go back and dump the 3 cross threaded lug nuts in his hand and suggest he learn how to put lug nuts on?
Thankfully the studs were not seriously damaged. I couldn't even hand thread the damaged lug nuts on. Alt set spun right on. (I did put grease as threads are damaged)
If he had charged me a legit bill. Then I would feel fine about chewing him out, have him pay for damages. (refund amount paid)
As I took parts from parts car, studs are useable... Now I have to find another shop to fix wife's car. (Yes I could but would spend days in very uncomfortable position) The dash heater core is leaking. BTDT on my own cars. Fine when I was under 30. Now lying in floorboards/looking up to crap falling in face..... I would rather pay someone.

Geeorge
04-30-2013, 04:05
Well you found out why he didn't charge you,he knew about the stripped lugs.

Take you future business elsewhere:wavey:

gwalchmai
04-30-2013, 04:52
That kind of crap makes me mad. I'd take the nuts back and ask if he had any idea why they were crossthreaded. His response should tell you all you need to know. He SHOULD be depending on you for referrals. If not then be sure to tell anyone who asks.

CitizenOfDreams
04-30-2013, 08:07
The price was right.

Wake_jumper
04-30-2013, 08:24
Don't waste your time going back. Just never go back. Be grateful that he didn't screw up something expensive and important. Perhaps his last place of employment ASKED him to leave because he was such a screw up. Three cross threaded lugs? Absolutely no excuse for that.

It's tough finding a good repair shop.

mhill
04-30-2013, 08:57
Never go back. Simple. At least he didn't crossthread or break a bolt head off something in your engine block.

skeeter7
04-30-2013, 09:04
I wouldn't even bother going back either. For the price of the wheel studs, it's not worth it.

unsigned
04-30-2013, 21:04
I wouldn't go back... But impact/stripped lug nuts aren't surprising. There are only a very very few shops around here, most big name time shops and dealers included, that properly torque lug nuts to spec.

Drives me crazy, since I have been diligent about making sure my lugs are torqued, I've not seen one stripped lug or one warped rotor/pulsing pedal. Its been about 10 years.

HollowHead
04-30-2013, 21:07
(Donning flamesuit) Dealership culture recruits, employs and expells the worst techs. Find someone with a love for the product and a hatred for the manufacturer and you'll never look back. HH