Software that use to be good [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Software that use to be good

wjv
04-30-2013, 11:49
Yahoo mail just notified me that I will be switch over to the "new and improved" yahoo mail in 30 days. No choice. Classic Yahoo mail is going away. I've tried the "new and improved" version. It's crap. All I want is a simple mail system. I don't need my mail organized into "conversations" or all of the other social media "share this with {Twitter-Facebook}" crap. Time to look for a new mail provider. . even if I have to pay.

Used Photobucket for over a decade. Use to be easy to use. Very straight forward. Now there is a "new and improved" Photobucket. The new interface sucks and doesn't even work as claimed. Things that were easy to do are now a pain. I just delete half of my files from there and am looking for a new hosting site to store the rest of my files on.

Have MS Visio 2003. Went to look at upgrading it to 2013. $500-$600!!! This use to come free with MS Office Pro, and then when it was a separate product, was ~$79. Now list price is $580. . MS can suck it!!!!

And speaking of MS. . 3 Words: "Ribbon" and "Windows 8" WTF were they thinking?

It's like people have forgotten the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". . .

aircarver
04-30-2013, 11:53
It's like people have forgotten the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". . .

Agreed.

But software developers don't get paid if they don't put out new stuff, good or bad ....

... So there's going to be some bad stuff, even if previous versions were perfectly good ...:upeyes:

ChiefWPD
04-30-2013, 11:56
WJV I feel your pain. Learning to use a software program is a chore. Having to relearn a useable program just because of some foolish upgrade can be infuriating (MS Word comes to mind...).

I regret that there is little to be done about the matter.

wjv
04-30-2013, 12:00
BTW: I've been a SW engineer for 30+ years so i understand the business model. . I just think the new stuff you put out should actually be better, more intuitive and easier to use than the prior version.

Just adding some new wizz-bang technology/feature doesn't necessary make the product better.

Atlas
04-30-2013, 12:08
I whined when the 2010 MS Office was introduced.
I was in the midst of one of the most challenging projects of my career and working 60 - 75 hours per week. I didn't have time for any "new and improved" anything.

Then I gradually became accustomed to it..

It's much more difficult beyond a certain age.
It isn't only the actual age, it's being busy and having all your attention occupied elsewhere.

Interesting to ponder where software and user interfaces will have evolved in 10, 20, 50 years..

wjv
04-30-2013, 12:18
Interesting to ponder where software and user interfaces will have evolved in 10, 20, 50 years..

We're going back to DOS 3.2

captainstormy
04-30-2013, 12:20
Get off my lawn! :fred:

I work in software as well and I agree that change for change sake isn't good but I really doubt that's what they did.

I haven't used yahoo mail since gmail came out so I can't comment on that. I think Photobucket's new interface is actually pretty nice.

The world, software included changes constantly. I can't understand why so many people wished things never changed. If photobucket, yahoo mail and windows never changed anything users would complain about that too.

silentpoet
04-30-2013, 16:15
gmail is a good example, man it is a pain in the ass now.

Highspeedlane
04-30-2013, 16:23
I had to give up Yahoo mail because it went to crap with the new interface and to sync up with POP3 and IMAP, Yahoo charges you, whereas at least for now that service is free with Google.

I don't know why Yahoo took one of the most popular web portals of the 90's and utterly destroyed it trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' so to speak, particularly with respect to their message boards. Maybe it's just something above my simple understanding.

RonS
04-30-2013, 16:27
Software goes through a life cycle.

I rock! I can do xxx! At this stage the product does what no one else can do but requires effort or knowledge from the user.

I am the greatest. At this stage the software is one of several but is still the best.

Fuzzy dice and curb feelers. At this stage the basic platform is outdated so no serious features can be added but there is a development cycle that says they must release a new product every year and by God they are going to find something to change even if it is only colors or how the fly outs work.

audiomechanic
04-30-2013, 16:32
AVG - Upon its inception was fantastic. Really the launching pad for the free A/V platform. And then, over time, it became a fat bloated pig of a program that is about as effective as the TSA.

iTunes - Same reasons as above.

wjv
04-30-2013, 20:51
AVG - Upon its inception was fantastic. Really the launching pad for the free A/V platform. And then, over time, it became a fat bloated pig of a program that is about as effective as the TSA.

iTunes - Same reasons as above.

100% true!

It started causing more problems than it solved. We switched to AVAST. (also free). AVG was great till they turned it into a steaming pile of. . . .

sputnik767
04-30-2013, 20:54
100% true!

It started causing more problems than it solved. We switched to AVAST. (also free). AVG was great till they turned it into a steaming pile of. . . .

Have you tried Microsoft security essentials? Seems to be lightweight and completely out of the way. No nagging update screens either, Windows Update takes care of it.

Brian Lee
05-01-2013, 19:53
We're going back to DOS 3.2

DOS 3.2 was buggy. I liked 3.3 better, but at least the 3.3 user interface didn't change.

That's not a joke!! In those days Microsoft actually improved something once in a while.

Jason D
05-02-2013, 17:54
Avast is pretty awesome still.
Mine talks like a pirate.

DaneA
05-02-2013, 18:27
DOS 3.2 was buggy. I liked 3.3 better, but at least the 3.3 user interface didn't change.

That's not a joke!! In those days Microsoft actually improved something once in a while.

Of course in those days code had to be efficient to.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dennis in MA
05-02-2013, 18:35
Ah hh, WordPerfect. Remember when you could finally see ital and bold on the screen? And a bold Ariel lowercase o would suffice as a bullet?

Good times. Lol

vikingsoftpaw
05-02-2013, 23:02
Microsoft Bob.

Paul53
05-02-2013, 23:55
Norton/Symantec. Years ago Norton utilities and Norton anti-virus were terrific. Over the years it's become bloated with attempts to do everything, way too much, and a resource hog.

railfancwb
05-03-2013, 05:46
Over the years Microsoft downgraded me from a guru to a user - a marginally adequate one at that.

Tvov
05-03-2013, 05:56
I use Yahoo mail with Mozilla Firefox... and no advertisements! I'm not sure how this all works, but when using Firefox with Yahoo mail, I have no ads... no banners, no popups, just mail. As far as I know it is the new Yahoo mail. It is actually really great. So, that is something you may want to try.

Have you ever gone back and loaded an old program on a new computer? If, of course, it is compatible. The program will scream! It is amazing how fast it will be... until... they stop support and you have to buy a new version. That is my biggest complaint about new, unnecessary versions; they make them more bloated, and they just slow down. Which defeats the purpose of getting a newer, faster computer. Oh well.

captainstormy
05-03-2013, 06:28
Over the years Microsoft downgraded me from a guru to a user - a marginally adequate one at that.

I suppose this is going to make me sound like "that guy" but if you were ever really a guru nothing thats happened in the last 20 years on Microsoft's ends would have changed that.

badge315
05-03-2013, 06:37
Totally agree that the new Photobucket stinks; the new Mapquest sucks too.:rant:

Tvov
05-03-2013, 09:56
I liked Mapquest years ago, now I always use Yahoo Maps or Google Maps.

Atlas
05-03-2013, 09:59
Google Maps has worked well for me.
Pretty cool also the way you dynamically drag the route on the map to change it.

whoflungdo
05-03-2013, 10:04
I'm most likely going to purchase a Mac for my next computer. I cannot stand Windows 8. If I have to relearn everything, it's gonna be on something other than Windows.

ETA: I would have been burned at the stake for even considering this years ago and would have helped light the fire myself. MS has been making common easy tasks difficult since MS Office 2007.

Dennis in MA
05-03-2013, 11:09
Yup. Takes a few hours of screen-time to master it. Once you do, you realize the logic of the whole OS makes what were "let me figure out how to do that" tasks natural.

More than once in the last 18 months, I've said, "well, if it were me, I'd just do this." BAM! That works. LOL

randrew379
05-03-2013, 14:29
I remember when GT actually worked on my phone. After last update: doesn't take me to latest unread; bogs down after 30'; frequent force close.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)