What to do in Vegas [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Vegas

wjv
04-30-2013, 12:16
Going to Vegas in a couple weeks for the SQE Better Software conference.

I'll be staying on the strip, no car.

I've seen Jersey Boys, the Titanic exhibit (which was great), The Fab Four, Penn & Teller, Rita Rudner and The Rat Pack Is Back, from previous visits to Vegas with my wife.

So what good shows are playing now? (I'll be alone this trip so I'm not limited as to what shows I can go to :cool:)

Any exhibits or museums that are worth seeing?

Is Fremont street worth going to?

Anything else? (Yes I know about the machine gun rental)

I've always liked the buffet at the Paris. What other buffets are good?

686Owner
04-30-2013, 12:40
I was just looking up what to do in Vegas as I think I'm gonna go next year.

Only show I want to see for sure is Penn & Teller as I'm a huge fan.

Gixxerjoe04
04-30-2013, 12:43
Moonlight bunny ranch:rofl:

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 12:46
http://www.pinballmuseum.org/

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 12:48
As far as buffets go, the newly redone buffet at the Ceasars Palace is top notch, but costs about $50. The M also has a great buffet.

jilverthor
04-30-2013, 12:50
1) The National Atomic Test Museum is great, it is a more than few blocks from the strip so it will be a walk of maybe 10-15 min to get there if I remember.

2) Catch a Cirque du Soleil show

3) The Aquarium at the Mandalay Bay is nice but doesn't take a ton of time.

4) In addition to the machine gun events, there are WWII flight places that will take you in a variety of aircraft (AT-6, P51, ...). I did not do that myself but have friends who did and loved it. ETA: They also pick you up and take you out to Henderson, so no car is needed.

Glock30Eric
04-30-2013, 12:50
How big is your wallet? ;)

jpa
04-30-2013, 13:03
Pinball museum, Atomic Testing Museum, Neon museum, mob museum. If you like watching young girls shake it on the dance floor while pretending they're cowgirls, go to Stoneys at Town Square. If you like watching young girls shake it on the pole while trying to empty your wallet, I recommend Hustler club or Sapphire.

Any pretty girl who comes up to you while sitting alone at a hotel bar is probably a pro. Watch your drink and keep your wallet secure.

Fremont street is a good time to just hang out and have a few drinks. Fremont east around the El Cortez has a lot of little bars that are fun, including Insert Coin which is like an Aladdin's Castle arcade with a bar.

If you're in town on a Thursday and there's a 51's minor league baseball game it also happens to be $1 beer night. Tix are easy to get and about $11 each. http://www.lv51.com

I highly recommend the PRISM simulator at the Range 702. Awesome scenario-based shooting. If you want to go balls to the wall with machine guns and stuff, Battlefield Vegas is where you want to go.

JimmyRayBob
04-30-2013, 13:09
If you like gambling ... Binions downtown is one of my favorites.

Sharkey
04-30-2013, 13:29
Downtown is worth going to for gambling and just a change of scenery. Honestly, I kinda dislike the strip now and I've been about 12x. Hogs n Heffers is a block from downtown as well as the Mob Museum.

Buffet at Harrahs and Flamingo is decent and $49 gets you 24 hours at 6 buffets of Harrahs properties.

Carrot Top at Luxor is Hilarious as well as the Hypnosis show at PH. Zumanity at NY is very good too.

Goldendog Redux
04-30-2013, 13:31
Moonlight bunny ranch:rofl:

That is about a 7 hour drive from Vegas-about twenty minutes from my house.

Going to Vegas next weekend for Supercross Finals

rednoved
04-30-2013, 13:44
http://lmcmainstage.org/wp-content/uploads/Blue-Man-Group.jpg

ezthumper
04-30-2013, 13:48
Sorry, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas..so I can't tell you.

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 13:49
That is about a 7 hour drive from Vegas-about twenty minutes from my house.

Going to Vegas next weekend for Supercross Finals

Yup, the closest place to Vegas for that kind of legal entertainment is Pahrump. Pahrump also have a very nice winery.

686Owner
04-30-2013, 14:24

Heard it was good for 20 minutes, then gets old?

rednoved
04-30-2013, 15:04
Heard it was good for 20 minutes, then gets old?

It's been a few years since I have seen the show. When I went, it was entertaining from start to finish.

rednoved
04-30-2013, 15:05
http://www.yelp.com/biz/blue-man-group-las-vegas

Yelp reviews to get an idea of what people think of it.

Dennis in MA
04-30-2013, 19:57

Yup.

Seen it twice in Boston. Once in Vegas. While the same show, it's amazingly better. Even the band was fun to watch.

Folsom_Prison
04-30-2013, 20:10
I thought the buffet at the Rio was damn good!

sombunya
04-30-2013, 20:48
Imperial Palace. 5th floor, I think.

One of the best car museums in the country. Amazing. And they're all for sale too.

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 20:56

One of the best car museums in the country. Amazing. And they're all for sale too.

That is awesome, all sorts of cars.

jilverthor
04-30-2013, 21:04

I have not made it to that museum yet and therefore did not suggest it. Hearing good things from a few people here and a coworker, I will have to go the next time I am in Vegas.

sdsnet
04-30-2013, 22:07
The Shelby Museum is worth stopping by. Before he passed away Carroll used to be there often and would talk to just about anyone.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/Tours.asp

RightGlock1
04-30-2013, 23:00
At Planet Hollywood, there is a show called "Vegas, the Show". Tickets are about $ 50.
Seating is first come first serve, get there early.
It is a musical that is a history of Vegas and the entertainers of the past to the present.
Really good show. Don't go see the Chris Angel show, it sucks.

Batesmotel
04-30-2013, 23:35
Atomic Energy Museum. Take cab.

Batesmotel
04-30-2013, 23:38
The Shelby Museum is worth stopping by. Before he passed away Carroll used to be there often and would talk to just about anyone.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/Tours.asp

Don't Do It!!!!

My wife has a 66 and wanted to stop and see the new cars.

Now she is specking out a new Shelby Terlingua. She is not kidding.

fiveoboy01
05-01-2013, 00:58
Too much stuff to list...

I recommend finding lots of good places to eat! They're everywhere...

skeeter7
05-01-2013, 01:18
You can bring something obscure into the Pawn Stars pawn shop, wait for the expert, then get offered $5 for it...

raven11
05-01-2013, 01:19
Hookers and Blow

Lakerdude
05-01-2013, 01:42
"""""

Lowjiber
05-01-2013, 05:24
The M also has a great buffet.I agree, but the OP said he didn't have a car.

The Mob Museum is actually pretty interesting.

Freemont Street is nice to visit on weekends when the bands are playing. If you visit FS, don't miss the bean soup at the Binion's cafe. Take a cab down to Freemont street though.

If you play poker, the Orleans has a really nice tourney every night. Saturday nite is the best. Starts at 8pm, but be there by 6:30 to reserve one of the eighty seats.

Lowjiber
05-01-2013, 05:29
Yup, the closest place to Vegas for that kind of legal entertainment is Pahrump. Pahrump also have a very nice winery.
If you go to Pahrump, there are two "houses" in close proximity to each other. Sherry's gives free tours and has great food at the bar.

Sharkey
05-01-2013, 07:51
Hookers and Blow

I wanna stay with you Charlie Sheen!

jilverthor
05-01-2013, 09:54
Don't Do It!!!!

My wife has a 66 and wanted to stop and see the new cars.

Now she is specking out a new Shelby Terlingua. She is not kidding.

I fail to see the bad part of this post.

Batesmotel
05-02-2013, 13:19
I fail to see the bad part of this post.

#1 She drives better than me. Smoother, no mistakes. I fight the car too much. No joke. She shaves a few seconds off of my track times in my porsche. When the mustang comes she can embarrass me in two cars.

#2 I am running out of places to park cars.

BobbyS
05-02-2013, 13:49
1) The National Atomic Test Museum is great, it is a more than few blocks from the strip so it will be a walk of maybe 10-15 min to get there if I remember.

2) Catch a Cirque du Soleil show

3) The Aquarium at the Mandalay Bay is nice but doesn't take a ton of time.

4) In addition to the machine gun events, there are WWII flight places that will take you in a variety of aircraft (AT-6, P51, ...). I did not do that myself but have friends who did and loved it. ETA: They also pick you up and take you out to Henderson, so no car is needed.

These are the ones that occur at the intersections on the strip and are free of charge.