Work Clothes Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Work Clothes Issue

DanaT
04-30-2013, 17:35
So, I am having this almost unresolvable problem with work.

My employer expects me to dress in a certain manner that would be described as "professional". When I meet with surgeons and executives of large companies, they expect me to wear a suit and tie.

Well,he is my issue. They dont give me money to pay for the clothes that they expect me to wear at work. When a shirt is worn or stained, they expect that I get a new one and show up to work in looking "professional" but yet they wont pay for my work clothes. I mean, if I am wearing a worn our suit, why should they care if they arent paying for it? If I want to wear my acid washed jeans with some extra holes, again, they arent paying for me to have new jeans, so why should they care and get a say so?

Is it too much for me to demand that they pay for the clothes if they expect to have a certain type of clothing and to expect a certain level of maintenance on the clothes? I think, if they want me to wear a suit, they should pay for it and pay for the dry cleaning. I am not being unreasonable, I dont think.

mj9mm
04-30-2013, 17:42
can't you deduct the cost at tax time

Atlas
04-30-2013, 17:43
... I am not being unreasonable, I dont think.

But you are joking, I think.

:dunno:

harleystyles
Is it too much for me to demand that they pay for the clothes if they expect to have a certain type of clothing and to expect a certain level of maintenance on the clothes?

Short answer is yes it is too much to demand that.

Long answer is, they are paying you to uphold their image, among other things. It is up to you to decide if you desire continued employment.

Highspeedlane
I wouldn't be happy with that scenario if the salary wasn't sufficient to support that type of dress, which can get expensive fast.

For years a friend of mine worked in the financial section of Boston and had a closet full of Italian suits that he had to wear every day, but the salary more or less accommodated that level of expense on his part.

DanaT
04-30-2013, 17:45

IRS rules

You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

You must wear them as a condition of your employment.

The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

Bruce M
04-30-2013, 17:46
In theory I agree with you. However my sense is, is that there is a certain income level at which one is expected to provide their own clothes. That is just a guess, as I do not travel in those circles. Perhaps they might meet you halfway and come up with, for instance, some oxford shirts embroidered with the company name and logo. I am led to believe that some marketing people like to see the company name and logo out and about.

DanaT
04-30-2013, 17:46
But you are joking, I think.

:dunno:

I am deep in philosophical thought thanks to the Badische Staatsbrauerei

DanaT
04-30-2013, 17:50
Perhaps they might meet you halfway and come up with, for instance, some oxford shirts embroidered with the company name and logo. I am led to believe that some marketing people like to see the company name and logo out and about.

I am somewhat partial to Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss logos (and a few others).

sheriff733
04-30-2013, 17:56
Dana, were you ever under the impression when you started working there that they would pay for your clothing? Meaning, did they ever imply they would cover that cost?

220-9er
04-30-2013, 18:07
Did you discuss a dress code before you started your job? What is the "usual and customary" attire for your job?
Normally if you are dealing with professional people you would be expected to dress appropriately in their environment. It would be helpful if you stated what job you are doing. Selling products to doctors would be different than if you are a janitor working around doctors.

Diesel_Bomber
04-30-2013, 18:51
Is it too much for me to demand that they pay for the clothes if they expect to have a certain type of clothing and to expect a certain level of maintenance on the clothes? I think, if they want me to wear a suit, they should pay for it and pay for the dry cleaning. I am not being unreasonable, I dont think.

Your employer IS paying for your clothes by paying your wage. Yes, you are being unreasonable.

Neocon
04-30-2013, 19:02
Sorry, you should have known what kind of cloths were required before you signed up. Zero professional people would consider asking for the boss to spring for a stained shirt. You may want to consider trying a less "professional" job. Wore my last tie when I quit sales and became a plumber.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fnfalman
04-30-2013, 19:21

I was going to ask the same thing. Why can't he write it off as tax deductable? I write all my work clothes and dry cleaning off.

Harper
04-30-2013, 19:26
Form a union.

9jeeps
04-30-2013, 19:32
OP If you want to be a slob in a professional Gig become Pharmaceutical Warehouse order picker. Or buy three nice suits six nice shirts some nice ties and clean up your shoes and act and make some real money.

Dennis in MA
04-30-2013, 19:37
Hahahahahahahahaha!

I tried tomwrite off my suits once. My CPA laughed at me. I told him I'd get a patch that said Dennis on my shirt pockets. He told me to get one saying Exit Only for my shorts for when I went to prison. Lol

RenoF250
04-30-2013, 19:38
Poop on company time to compensate yourself for it. More expensive clothes - longer poop sessions.

CitizenOfDreams
04-30-2013, 19:42
I suspect your job pays enough not to worry about the cost of shirts. Unless the dress code makes you wear Armani.

Detectorist
04-30-2013, 19:43
The OP must be joking.

jtmac
04-30-2013, 19:45
You also have to pay for your own car.

Almost anyone who would wear a suit for work needs at least a suit or two for outside of work. You can make two suits go a long way if you care for them properly.

It can sometimes stretch into silliness when you're required to wear something the employer doesn't specifically spring for, but it is not really that far out of the range of expectation if you are making a decent wage.

Shinytop
04-30-2013, 19:58
The line between whether or not the employer must pay for "uniforms" is whether or not the clothes can commonly be worn off the job. A suit is not a uniform. If the employer required all to be the same cut with a patch identifying the place of business it could then be called a uniform and employer should pay or at least a tax deduction allowed.;

cbird77
04-30-2013, 20:03
Poop on company time to compensate yourself for it. More expensive clothes - longer poop sessions.

Thanks for the laugh! :rofl:

ChuteTheMall
04-30-2013, 20:39
Obamaclothes!
:bluesbrothers:

sierrafast
04-30-2013, 20:45
OP, are you for reals?

Ohio Copper
04-30-2013, 20:50
I am given a 450$ uniform allowance twice a year.

The going rate right now (5.11 PDU class B in both l/s and s/s) is around 60$ for pants and 55$ for a shirt. I shop amazon and replace as needed. I also use it to purchase boots and replace worn out or broken duty gear necessary for my job (radio holders, mag pouches etc.). I also used it to buy gear for the rifle I own and use for work.

It does not take much to rip, stain, tear or otherwise degrade these uniforms. These are necessary and required by my employer. It is my responsibility to maintain a clean uniform appearance, free of rips or tears. I am required to have my hair cut and be clean shaven.

Other than my boots, I cannot wear my uniform out anywhere socially; it is both prohibited and stupid.

After taxes it is about 650 a year or so. It is part of my union contract with the governmental body I am employed by.

YOU however, can wear those suits to church, weddings, funerals or any other assortment of events both social and work related.

I can't help but wonder if this post is done in jest from another post where you and CACop were going back and forth in regards to this same issue.....

Altaris
04-30-2013, 20:59
This is one reason I hate having to dress up for work, and am glad I don't have to anymore.

At my old job in a bank I had to wear a suit every day, and like you, my salary was not remotely close to enough to really cover everything. While some claim "you should have discussed that first", this was my first job out of college and I had no clue how quickly clothing/dry-cleaning costs could add up. I tried, and the Tax thing didn't work for me either.

Now that I am not there anymore I make several times more per year And wear shorts and t-shirt when I am in the office, and just boxers when I am at home.

I have learned that dressing up has no bearing on what type of job you can do for your company, and how good of a worker/boss you really are. I have no plan to ever be in a position again that forces me to waste time and money dressing up in a suit for no reason. I would rather spend time working and getting stuff done then worrying about appearances.

Cali-Glock
04-30-2013, 21:03
What you described is pretty much standard for most employers.

Sure some places require and provide a uniform and other places allow you to wear flip-flops, swim trunks and a 20 year old muscle T...

... but for most of my three decades of employment, there were expected dress codes which I had to meet, and yes I meet them out of my own pocket.

HollowHead
04-30-2013, 21:15
I've seen, "...must have reliable access to transportation" in vacancy announcements and this is done to get the employer off the hook for reimbursements for usage. I'll imagine that the OP's situation is identical that they didn't word "ownership of required attire" into the description. Had they said you must be required to own such clothes, he might have a case. HH

ChuteTheMall
04-30-2013, 21:27
I'm tired of wearing suits everyday; when I retire I'm going to seek a job as a greeter in a nudist camp.

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 21:47
I'm tired of wearing suits everyday; when I retire I'm going to seek a job as a greeter in a nudist camp.

:rofl::rofl:

JAS104
04-30-2013, 21:57
Not to be a prick, but when I started my Job at the bank and couldn't really afford really "nice clothes,"
I got some 14.99 shirts from H&M with a $100 suit on sale at Macy's and made it work. As time went on and I made some dough I upgraded... Moral of the story being the cheap stuff will work for a little

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 22:17
In theory I agree with you. However my sense is, is that there is a certain income level at which one is expected to provide their own clothes. That is just a guess, as I do not travel in those circles. Perhaps they might meet you halfway and come up with, for instance, some oxford shirts embroidered with the company name and logo. I am led to believe that some marketing people like to see the company name and logo out and about.

They aren't paying you enough? Is that the problem?

DaneA
04-30-2013, 22:27
Normally I agree with things you post, but this time I have to say you are just whining. I have been required to wear a suit for a 20k a year job before. I have never had an employer offer to pay for my clothing and I know I don't make nearly what you do. Suck it up and stop sounding like an entitled democrat!

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 22:29
You obviously are not getting paid enough, sorry about your luck.

Don't worry, you're not alone.

devildog2067
04-30-2013, 22:36
Is it too much for me to demand that they pay for the clothes if they expect to have a certain type of clothing and to expect a certain level of maintenance on the clothes?
Uhh... yes.

I think, if they want me to wear a suit, they should pay for it and pay for the dry cleaning. I am not being unreasonable, I dont think.

Yes, yes you are. Businessmen need business clothes. That's just a cost of doing business.

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 22:45
DanaT.....DaneA.... I need another drink :faint:

wprebeck
05-01-2013, 00:45

Dana, were you ever under the impression when you started working there that they would pay for your clothing? Meaning, did they ever imply they would cover that cost?

The going rate right now (5.11 PDU class B in both l/s and s/s) is around 60$ for pants and 55$ for a shirt. I shop amazon and replace as needed. I also use it to purchase boots and replace worn out or broken duty gear necessary for my job (radio holders, mag pouches etc.). I also used it to buy gear for the rifle I own and use for work.

It does not take much to rip, stain, tear or otherwise degrade these uniforms. These are necessary and required by my employer. It is my responsibility to maintain a clean uniform appearance, free of rips or tears. I am required to have my hair cut and be clean shaven.

Other than my boots, I cannot wear my uniform out anywhere socially; it is both prohibited and stupid.

After taxes it is about 650 a year or so. It is part of my union contract with the governmental body I am employed by.

YOU however, can wear those suits to church, weddings, funerals or any other assortment of events both social and work related.

I can't help but wonder if this post is done in jest from another post where you and CACop were going back and forth in regards to this same issue.....

It's not in jest - he's trolling. As usual, Dana feels he's special (much like another poster) because of his wealth (as evidenced in his many posts about living in Germany half the year and flying back and forth first class, etc - usually dropped in threads when it has no relation to the OT) and hates being told "No" by his perceived social inferiors.

Personally, I wish he would move zu Deutschland full time, so he could complain about their cops, but we seem stuck with him.

In any case, he's trolling again. I'd suggest ignoring him, but he just wont go away.

eccho
05-01-2013, 01:21

My employer expects me to dress in a certain manner that would be described as "professional". When I meet with surgeons and executives of large companies, they expect me to wear a suit and tie.

Well,he is my issue. They dont give me money to pay for the clothes that they expect me to wear at work. When a shirt is worn or stained, they expect that I get a new one and show up to work in looking "professional" but yet they wont pay for my work clothes. I mean, if I am wearing a worn our suit, why should they care if they arent paying for it? If I want to wear my acid washed jeans with some extra holes, again, they arent paying for me to have new jeans, so why should they care and get a say so?

There's probably nothing you can do for "dress clothes" that you could wear outside of work. (I know, i'm sure your not wearing a suit on your day off).

If it were a uniform, like a burger king uniform it would be different.

Hell, when I worked at burger king, I was told my uniforms were free. When I got a raise several months later, they took money out of my paychecks to pay for them. Not enough to take me below minimum wage, but enough at a time I woudln't make more than minimum wage.

Then, when I finally quit, they told me they would not give me my final paycheck unless I returned the uniforms, that were paid off at that point.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

DanaT
05-01-2013, 01:29
You also have to pay for your own car.

That is not exactly true. There is an "assigned" car for me when I am in Germany. But since I live closer to the facility than where the car is parked only if I need to go somewhere do I take it so it tends to get used by other people too.

But you are right. The cars in personally own, they don't pay for. This is a scam and they should be paying for them.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 01:31

Do you look like a slob since you have to buy your own clothes?

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 01:47
Do you look like a slob since you have to buy your own clothes?

In all of my prior performance reviews, no issues came up regarding my uniform and/or it's appearance. I do my best to look professional. I shine my boots (on my OWN time with my OWN polish) and care for and launder my uniform on my own dime and time, much like yourself.

Other than trolling and a knock at public servants I don't see a reason for your post.But then again, your kind doesn't have the stones to say what you really want.

Before you hemhaw and backpedal and everything else and state how I brought it up, all one has to look at is your posting history, even in the last twenty four hours.

I'm sure the other half of the dynamic duo will be along shortly. :tongueout:

DanaT
05-01-2013, 02:23
In all of my prior performance reviews, no issues came up regarding my uniform and/or it's appearance. I do my best to look professional.

I would have expected as much.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 02:25
I seem to be getting sympathy here?

Here I am learning the new American way of entitlement, and all I get is a bunch of people telling me I am whining.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 02:27
Other than trolling and a knock at public servants I don't see a reason for your post.But then again, your kind doesn't have the stones to say what you really want.

I want someone else to pay for everything. I find it much easier to spend other peoples money than my own money.

railfancwb
05-01-2013, 02:32
IRS rules

You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

You must wear them as a condition of your employment.

The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

If memory serves (and it may not at thus late date) Johnny Carson fought several battles with the IRS over this point about the clothes he wore on air. He eventually won. His studio dressing room included a large closet in which his on air clothes were kept. He wore a suit and tie for his commutes, changing before and after each show. Never wire show clothes off site.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 02:53
I shine my boots (on my OWN time with my OWN polish)

Here is a "free" tip that will only cost you $5 over the course of a year or two.

http://www.dmusastore.com/c-184-shoe-care-and-laces.aspx

Use the DM black polish. It is very very good stuff. Youcan just rub it on for the greasy finish (which looks much better than shined) or you can shine it up really easy. Best shoe polish I have have ever used. And

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 03:24
Here is a "free" tip that will only cost you $5 over the course of a year or two.

http://www.dmusastore.com/c-184-shoe-care-and-laces.aspx

Use the DM black polish. It is very very good stuff. Youcan just rub it on for the greasy finish (which looks much better than shined) or you can shine it up really easy. Best shoe polish I have have ever used. And

ArmorAll wipes work well in a pinch.

Next time I walk through some nastiness I'll be sure to snap a pic for ya.

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 03:25
I want someone else to pay for everything. I find it much easier to spend other peoples money than my own money.

I am spending MY money. :wavey::tongueout:

Besides, "money don't have no owners, only spenders"...

DanaT
05-01-2013, 03:48
I am spending MY money. :wavey::tongueout:

Besides, "money don't have no owners, only spenders"...

That's what I am upset about. They expect me to spend MY money. I want to spend someone else's money. They want me to dress a certain way, shouldn't they pay for it?

Maybe I need to go talk the HR person about this issue?

DanaT
05-01-2013, 03:49
ArmorAll wipes work well in a pinch..

Armor all is bad for leather.

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 03:58
Armor all is bad for leather.

Can I use Armor AllŪ Protectants on leather; including car seats, furniture and shoes?
Armor AllŪ Leather Care Protectant products are perfect for use on your treated leather home furnishings. Our specially formulated leather products condition your leather, whether in your car or house, helping to keep your leather looking like new. These products, however, are not designed for use on suede, buckskin or fabric. They are also not designed for use on bench or cycle seats due to slipperiness. If you have any doubts about a specific surface, it's always wise to test an inconspicuous area first.

I've been doing it for five years with no issues. :dunno:

I replace my boots every couple of years and I have a winter and summer pair. The salt and brine on the roadway destroys boots in the winter time here, so I keep a lighter pair for the summer time.

How much do you make per year?

I would gladly allow them to roll my uniform allowance into my overall salary.

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 03:59
That's what I am upset about. They expect me to spend MY money. I want to spend someone else's money. They want me to dress a certain way, shouldn't they pay for it?

Maybe I need to go talk the HR person about this issue?

You need to talk to the welfare office.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 04:17
Can I use Armor AllŪ Protectants on leather; including car seats, furniture and shoes?
Armor AllŪ Leather Care Protectant products are perfect for use on your treated leather home furnishings. Our specially formulated leather products condition your leather, whether in your car or house, helping to keep your leather looking like new. These products, however, are not designed for use on suede, buckskin or fabric. They are also not designed for use on bench or cycle seats due to slipperiness. If you have any doubts about a specific surface, it's always wise to test an inconspicuous area first.

I've been doing it for five years with no issues. :dunno:

I replace my boots every couple of years and I have a winter and summer pair. The salt and brine on the roadway destroys boots in the winter time here, so I keep a lighter pair for the summer time.

I would gladly allow them to roll my uniform allowance into my overall salary.

There is a difference between the armor all leather care stuff and the normal armor all. Normal armor all just has some silicone oil in it which is not good on leather.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 04:19

That is kind of personal and in bad form.

I only get to spend what my wife lets me spend.

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 04:24
That is kind of personal and in bad form.

I only get to spend what my wife lets me spend.

Just wondering.

Mine is all a matter of public record. :wavey:

Ohio Copper
05-01-2013, 04:36
Besides, nobody's forcing you to work there. If you don't like it, quit.

Damn, sure feels like the shoe is on the other foot for some reason....

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2013, 05:04

I think it's way to much... frankly if I had an employee do what you're suggesting.. their next job would be at the unemployment office.

Just go, get a couple of nice, $150-$200 suits... nothing super fancy, but something that is professional in appearance... get a couple shirts and ties, and be done with it.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 05:32
I think it's way to much... frankly if I had an employee do what you're suggesting.. their next job would be at the unemployment office.

You are a very mean sounding person.

IvanVic
05-01-2013, 05:54

Your post is truly a testament to how far standards have fallen in America.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 06:02
Your post is truly a testament to how far standards have fallen in America.

Why do you say such a thing?

Neero
05-01-2013, 06:05

Short answer: Your job requires that a certain level of appearence be maintained. There are jobs out there where you could show up in stained sweat pants and a wifebeater. I bet your job pays better.

G23c
05-01-2013, 06:05
I wear a suit 4 days a week, as it is standard for the industry.

the industry is often the driver in general dress code. The employer will have a more specific dress code. If the industry generally requires it, and the employer is not making unreasonable specific requests, then it is on the employee to maintain that standard.

No one in our office would ask for a reimbursement.

Bruce M
05-01-2013, 06:25
A good suit that sets you apart from others does not need to be that expensive, and this one is already in Europe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Wild-Pimp-Suit-Shirt-46-chest-Bright-Psycho-Design-/310657155066?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item48549bfffa#ht_1361wt_899

DanaT
05-01-2013, 06:34
A good suit that sets you apart from others does not need to be that expensive, and this one is already in Europe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Wild-Pimp-Suit-Shirt-46-chest-Bright-Psycho-Design-/310657155066?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item48549bfffa#ht_1361wt_899

I would buy it, but...i dont have any pounds sterling...

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 06:52
Dana - I think it is outrageous for you to expect your employer to pay for your clothes. Who do you think you are? A cop in California?

SC Tiger
05-01-2013, 06:56
Dana - I think it is outrageous for you to expect your employer to pay for your clothes. Who do you think you are? A cop in California?

For a minute I thought certifiedfunds hacked DanaT's account.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 07:08

You dont know the truth, do you?

There are 13 of us that are part of a alien race that are part machine part biological. We very interface computers and since our consciousness is stored on digitally, we can instantly know what the others are doing. There is no need to hack anything.

CF is a number 5 model

I am a nunber 2

SC Tiger
05-01-2013, 07:10
You dont know the truth, do you?

There are 13 of us that are part of a alien race that are part machine part biological. We very interface computers and since our consciousness is stored on digitally, we can instantly know what the others are doing. There is no need to hack anything.

CF is a number 5 model

That explains a lot, actually.

I am a nunber 2

Responses to this bit should be interesting...:tongueout:

ChuteTheMall
05-01-2013, 07:55
That explains a lot, actually.

Responses to this bit should be interesting...:tongueout:

:toilet:

OctoberRust
05-01-2013, 07:55

"Hey, we all can't be public employees, somebody's got to pay their bills." - CF

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ray9898
05-01-2013, 08:06

Of course it is. This was spurred by an unrelated discussion yesterday where some apparently took issue with LE being issued uniforms. He made it a point to let everyone know in his "I am superior to you" tone that he paid for his expensive work suits so everyone else should do the same. Of course it was backed up by a couple of the anti-everything dream team members as a splendid idea.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:08
Of course it is. This was spurred by an unrelated discussion yesterday where some apparently took issue with LE being issued uniforms. He made it a point to let everyone know in his "I am superior to you" tone that he paid for his expensive work suits so everyone else should do the same. Of course it was backed up by a couple of the anti-everything dream team members as a splendid idea.

Wa Wa Wa

And if you are going to extrapolate...get it right...

A few of you seem so butt hurt that you extrapolate that every comment is about your profession and your profession alone.

Let me help you with what I said.

Maybe you can read the word "employee"

This is a very similar situation to uniforms. Employees that are given free uniforms tend to go through a lot of them; employees that have to pay for uniforms tend to take better care of them and use their resources more efficiently.

See that? It say EMPLOYEE. Shall we right that one more time? EMPLOYEE. Nowhere was I talking about LE in that statement. You have me confused with someone else.

JMS
05-01-2013, 08:13

Amen, there's only a few people here that start worthless threads to try to get a reaction. You've named 2 of them.

Longtooths
05-01-2013, 08:19
You do not have to wear what they say...And they do not have to continue employing you.

ray9898
05-01-2013, 08:24
Wa Wa Wa

A few of you seem so butt hurt that you extrapolate that every comment is about your profession and your profession alone.

See that? It say EMPLOYEE. Shall we right that one more time? EMPLOYEE. Nowhere was I talking about LE in that statement. You have me confused with someone else.

Oh Dana....you know it's true. Here is a little from the exchange from the dream team in the other thread. You were responding to CAcop who referenced department issued uniforms.

No-one except me pays for the clothes I wear to work. Somehow, I manage to wear decent clothes even with no-one else paying for them. I wonder why I am not having problems with wearing trashed clothes to work even when someone else isnt paying for it?

:rofl: You realize most of the rest of the working world pays for their own work clothes, right? Show up sloppy you go home. My employer specifies business suits. They don't pay me any more to buy them and, yes, I've ruined several on the job.

It isn't as complicated as you make it. If I was on the other side of your contract negotiation your contract would say you provide your own uniforms and that they must be professional in appearance, with that defined in some way. The military manages to define it just fine as do many, many private employers across the country.

lavon_andy
05-01-2013, 08:26
Lol

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:27
Oh Dana....you know it's true. Here is a little from the exchange from the dream team in the other thread.

Of course it is. This was spurred by an unrelated discussion yesterday where some apparently took issue with LE being issued uniforms.

And yet you post something where in no place did I say anything about LE yet you still want to cry that I said I took issue with LE.

My words were quite clear. EMPLOYEES. Are you still have problems reading that word?

wprebeck
05-01-2013, 08:29
Wa Wa Wa

You seem to think that we are stupid. Likely, that assumption is made because we are your perceived social inferiors. For instance, we don't live in Germany for half the year. We don't fly first class across the ocean (presumably) at a rate of over $400/hour for 12 hours. We don't go tell our boss that we disagree with the weapons policies, and ge things changed just because we're special.

Well, that last one isn't necessarily true. I have LEOSA - you have a permit from a state that is rapidly becoming CA North.

In any case, if I didn't know better, I'd say you and CF were the same person, with multiple accounts. Of course, you'd be the passive aggressive side, while CF's is the "I can't stand being told "no" by anyone" version. Overall though, you generally have the same point of view towards those not wealthy in general, and towards public safety in particular. It's degrading, condescending, and generally disgusting.

In short, you're the prime example of the rich elitists that the left always talks about, and participate in the very same class warfare that you accuse the left of perpetuating. The worst of both - just because you have money.

(For the record, the word "uniform" is the key to understanding your troll post. Perhaps you should ask Eric what he thinks of your thread, but make sure you point him to the posts that you made in a different thread - maybe if you treat him as poorly as you do us, you'll get a forced vacation from here)

Oh, and as I mentioned - please move to der Vaterland full time. I can't wait to see how much you like getting your "rights" violated over there.

TK-421
05-01-2013, 08:34
they arent paying for me to have new jeans, so why should they care and get a say so?

Because you are the one who is representing them. They expect you to have a certain image, because if you don't then it looks badly on them. The doctor or lawyer isn't going to go "Oh, well this guy sure is a problem with his clothing style" if you show up in holey jeans when they're expecting a suit. What they're going to say is something to the extent of "Man, what is wrong with this company?"

When you don't follow the rules, you make their company look bad when you dress like a slob. And the company wants to do everything they can to avoid that. If you don't like it, you can always find a different job.

Or you can piss off all the anti-handout republicans on here and ask your company for a handout every now and then to help pay for your clothes. Or you could just work your budget and buy everything yourself.

ray9898
05-01-2013, 08:35
And yet you post something where in no place did I say anything about LE yet you still want to cry that I said I took issue with LE.

My words were quite clear. EMPLOYEES. Are you still have problems reading that word?

No Dana...you just have a problem with anyone disagreeing with as you type from that lofty perch you have placed yourself on. We get it, you think are sure you are superior to everyone else and your opinion is the end all.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:35
(For the record, the word "uniform" is the key to understanding your troll post..

No.

Uniform is

u·ni·form
noun
an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession,

If I go to McDonalds, they are wearing a uniform
The flight attendant wears a uniform
An NFL player wears a uniform
Etc, Etc, Etc

You are, like Ray, trying to extrapolate a meaning from something that isnt there.

I specifically said "employee" and "uniform".

Had I intended something else, I would have said something else.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:36
Oh, and as I mentioned - please move to der Vaterland full time. I can't wait to see how much you like getting your "rights" violated over there.

So your solution for people you dont agree with is to tell them to leave the country?

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:37
No Dana...you just have a problem with anyone disagreeing with as you type from that lofty perch you have placed yourself on. We get it, you think are sure you are superior to everyone else and your opinion is the end all.

Did the pot and kettle try meeting up somewhere?

ray9898
05-01-2013, 08:39
Did the pot and kettle try meeting up somewhere?

WHATTT? I can't hear you from up there! Speak up. :upeyes:

coastal4974
05-01-2013, 08:39
Jos. A Bank. Buy one get 6 free. Time to man up.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:42
In short, you're the prime example of the rich elitists that the left always talks about, and participate in the very same class warfare that you accuse the left of perpetuating. The worst of both - just because you have money.

Well, that is a personal attack and completely different topic, but if you would like to start a thread on it, I would be more than happy to discuss my views with you.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:44

I dont like stores that have an abbreviate first name. Why not use the whole name?

But buy ONE and get SIX free? That is a pretty good deal

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 08:44
Wa Wa Wa

Truth be told, EMPLOYEE has an L and an E in it - in the right order. Just sayin.

Yeah, and the 6 will wear out in the next 3 months. LOL

Do I have a problem with Muna-sipple employees (police, fire, janitor, secretary, mayor, wait. . . ) getting "free" uniforms. As long as it's added to their "compensation" when we all look at what we are paying for said-employee of the government.

Corporate uniforms? Couldn't care less - that's what shareholders are supposed to do.

I'm TECHNICALLY a shareholder in the government - via taxes. I just want to know what Officer Friendly and Secretary Surly are paid in total. That's all. Because in the next decade or so, ITS ALL GONNA CHANGE, BROTHER!

hamster
05-01-2013, 08:48
If they won't want you to look like a hobo, I suppose they'll need to pay for your haircuts, razors and shaving cream.

You can see where I'm going with this. I see professional dress part of being a professional. It is a given and it is the responsibility of the professional.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:53
Truth be told, EMPLOYEE has an L and an E in it - in the right order. Just sayin.

This one took me a little bit to get what you were saying....I thought..you were criticizing my spelling...but then...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wprebeck
05-01-2013, 08:54
So your solution for people you dont agree with is to tell them to leave the country?

No - I can disagree with people, and do, without acrimony.

It's YOUR attitude that I don't care for. It's your constant whining and complaining about how bad things are in America with LE, and how rights are constantly getting trampled. It's your constant bragging about being wealthy that irritates the living piss out of me.

Great, you're wealthy. Yay for you. You're not the first wealthy guy I've met, nor will you be the last. This time of year, they are everywhere in my city, and a number of people from my agency escort them around the town for the weekend. Hell, Tom Brady invites a couple of my coworkers to his place during the off season, and provides a signed football for our charity auction every year.

In any case, money doesn't impress me. It really doesn't impress me the way you think it should. I could give a rat's ass about money, other than it would be nice to have more of it. Wealth doesn't make you special, but you haven't figured that out yet. You likely never will.

Both you and CF have a problem with authority. For CF, his little rants against any and all authority started (at least on this site) a couple of years ago when he "retired" and became a stay at home dad. Yes - I remember that - because I envied him in that position. Being that young (relatively) and being able to dedicate his time to his family, all while living comfortably, was a great accomplishment.

I guess he got bored with that, and decided that being told "No" by people who made a tenth of his income just wasn't his cup of tea. I do wonder what the catalyst was - generally, a speeding ticket/arrest, couldn't get hired, or cop stole the girlfriend precipitates such a change. In any case, he went from a poster that I enjoyed reading, to a rabid anti-everything I personally disagree with violates my rights as a sovereign citizen type of guy.

You - well, you've always been the passive-aggressive type who sits on a perch (as Ray mentioned), trying to pass judgment on those with less wealth or perceived intelligence. You absolutely LOVE to try and belittle people, by attempting to show off your intelligence.

Yay - you're smart. So are lots of people. Even public servants. Not everybody uses their bank account to measure a successful and fulfilling life.

And, again - you're rich. Yay, once more. No need to act the way you do. Constantly throwing in some comment about flying first class, dressing in expensive suits, living in a foreign country half the year, or any number of other irrelevant to the topic comments you make. We get it - you're wealthy. Yay. That's three cheers, by the way. I'd do a fourth, but your ego is way to big as it is.

See, Dana - we're not as stupid as you believe, lack of wealth aside. I know you, and people like you, believe that if we had a modicum of intelligence, we'd be wealthy. But, some folks are called to do different things with their talents. A lot of us in public safety heard, and answered, that call. Contrary to what you, and others like you, believe - we weren't picked on in high school. We weren't bullies in high school. We're not knuckle dragging idiots. And, we don't sit around devising ways to violate the rights of American citizens. Personally, I like my house and other toys way too much to give them to someone else.

I know this post is a waste of electrons - but, maybe someone else will read it and think - "Hey, I never looked at it from that point of view".

DanaT
05-01-2013, 08:54
If they won't want you to look like a hobo, I suppose they'll need to pay for your haircuts, razors and shaving cream.

You can see where I'm going with this. I see professional dress part of being a professional. It is a given and it is the responsibility of the professional.

Next thing you are going to say I need to take a shower and use deodorant.....

wprebeck
05-01-2013, 08:56
Well, that is a personal attack and completely different topic, but if you would like to start a thread on it, I would be more than happy to discuss my views with you.

No attack there - I didn't call you any names at all. I merely pointed out that your behavior on GT is similar to, and follows a pattern of, other groups of people.

If you'd like a personal attack - well, Russ has enough headaches, as does Eric. I'll refrain.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:02
Not the right thread..but since you keep trying to go on and on...why dont you at least read what I wrote.

\

Golly gee. Didn't I just say that its always easier to spend someone elses money?

If something is important to me, I will spend money on it. If its not important, I probably wouldnt spend my money on it.

Let me give you an example that I see. I fly a few miles per year (ok, more than a few). I like to fly in comfort. when someone else is paying for it, I buy expensive tickets because it is a "necessity". However, when I calculate that to sit in the nice section of the airplane and have a cheese plate and ice cream sundaes for dessert, it costs about $400/hr more (and we are talking 12hrs) than getting no ice cream, it is hard to really justify as a "necessity". How many people in the nice section of the airplane do you think actually pay for their own tickets? How many people in row 79 do you think pay for their own tickets?

You see this? This is a statement about spending other peoples money and how much easier it is to spend other people's money. I even specifically said I don't spend money on expensive plane tickets because it is not a necessity.

TX OMFS
05-01-2013, 09:09
Entertaining thread. At first I thought the OP had taken a hard blow to the head but I caught on quickly.

I am typing this in a uniform my employer bought. It fits very nicely and smells like other people's money.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:12
See, Dana - we're not as stupid as you believe, lack of wealth aside. I know you, and people like you, believe that if we had a modicum of intelligence, we'd be wealthy.

See, that is where you are wrong. I havent said that. Many people pursue other life paths. I just have issues with people who pursue other paths thinking that they are entitled to taking what I have because of the path I have chosen.

But, some folks are called to do different things with their talents. A lot of us in public safety heard, and answered, that call.

Your choice. You need to do what make you happy. Not what makes me happy.

Contrary to what you, and others like you, believe - we weren't picked on in high school. We weren't bullies in high school.

I have never said you were bullied in high school.

We're not knuckle dragging idiots.

A little exaggeration there. When have I said you (plural) are knuckel dragging idiots?

And, we don't sit around devising ways to violate the rights of American citizens. Personally, I like my house and other toys way too much to give them to someone else.

Go back and read what I have said. I have said that I believe that most employees will do what is asked of them by their superiors to continue to collect a paycheck. They dont want to rock the boat. If I believe that, why would I believe that you (plural) sit around cooking up schemes to lose your jobs? You (plural) simply do what your bosses ask of you just like all other employees do. I am not saying this is morally right, I am saying it is reality.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:14
Entertaining thread. At first I thought the OP had taken a hard blow to the head but I caught on quickly.

Last night when I wrote the first...i am pretty sure that I had a few of them...

It was May Day eve....what else to do?

TX OMFS
05-01-2013, 09:17
Go back and read what I have said.

I've used this same line or something similar myself. But, who actually reads that, pauses, goes back, critically appraises everything, and recants?

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:22
I am typing this in a uniform my employer bought. It fits very nicely and smells like other people's money.

The best kind of money to spend.

Of course, if you said it fit really poorly, because that is what they bought..i would suggest someway to get good fitting uniform.

EDIT:

WAIT. Other people's money is the best kind to spend unless you are wanting to spend MY money then its better to spend YOUR money.

Psychman
05-01-2013, 09:24
I was going to ask the same thing. Why can't he write it off as tax deductable? I write all my work clothes and dry cleaning off.

Has the IRS audited you yet?

wprebeck
05-01-2013, 09:27
Dana,

Again, contrary to your beliefs - we're not stupid. You don't NEED to say it (or, type it, in this case).

Those of us with half a brain, and especially those of us with a few years experience in LE, can read between the lines. Your posts towards LE/public safety ooze with contempt. They almost literally drip with the superiority complex you have.

So, much like I can tell if a guy is hiding something within 5 seconds of speaking with him - I can tell how much you dislike us. It's a pattern, easily read by anyone with half a clue, and seen over the years of your posting history. But, have fun pretending you don't mean it - it's what you do. Passive aggressive and all.

This thread is a perfect example of it - you get into it with a cop over uniforms in a different thread. Then, start a new thread about the same topic. When called out, you say "Who, me? I didn't do it". Yeah, because everyone else on Glocktalk is stupid, and can't figure out what you're doing. We're not as smart or as wealthy as Dana.

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 09:27
Has the IRS audited you yet?

Yeah, you can deduct anything you want but when the examiner comes have your checkbook ready.

Psychman
05-01-2013, 09:35
Some of you still haven't figured out that the OP is kind of a troll or maybe you have and you just like messing with the dude.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:39
Those of us with half a brain, and especially those of us with a few years experience in LE, can read between the lines.

Reading Between the Lines
Fig. to infer something (from something else); to try to understand what is meant by something that is not written explicitly or openly.

Infer
to guess; speculate; surmise.

Fair enough. You speculate about what I mean based upon your own bias and dont read what I actually write.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 09:41
Some of you still haven't figured out that the OP is kind of a troll or maybe you have and you just like messing with the dude.

Why dont you tell me, why shouldn't I have a clothing allowance?

It is a legitimate enough question, it seems the IRS has rules trying to define what is work clothes and what isn't.

lavon_andy
05-01-2013, 09:55
According to the IRS you can't have a clothing allowance (deduction) because you could wear said work clothes elsewhere.

Now if you had to wear a clown outfit for work that would be a different story.

Psychman
05-01-2013, 10:01
According to the IRS you can't have a clothing allowance (deduction) because you could wear said work clothes elsewhere.

Now if you had to wear a clown outfit for work that would be a different story.

That might actually fit this particular person well.

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 10:02
The best kind of money to spend.

Of course, if you said it fit really poorly, because that is what they bought..i would suggest someway to get good fitting uniform.

EDIT:

WAIT. Other people's money is the best kind to spend unless you are wanting to spend MY money then its better to spend YOUR money.

OPM - my favorite financial acronym. Almost as good as IWMMB-N! :rofl:

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 10:09
Why dont you tell me, why shouldn't I have a clothing allowance?

It is a legitimate enough question, it seems the IRS has rules trying to define what is work clothes and what isn't.

I don't get a clothing allowance either while my employer requires business suits. I do ruin clothes on the job. I've had cigar ashes burn tiny holes in suit pants while working. I've spilled red wine on a white shirt while at a restaurant. Don't get me started on golf shoes. Ties? OMG!

So why do you think you're special?

JMS
05-01-2013, 10:13
You seem to think that we are stupid. Likely, that assumption is made because we are your perceived social inferiors. For instance, we don't live in Germany for half the year. We don't fly first class across the ocean (presumably) at a rate of over $400/hour for 12 hours. We don't go tell our boss that we disagree with the weapons policies, and ge things changed just because we're special.

For all his bluster I consider myself wealthier for being able to see my children on a daily basis. Nobody's tomb stone listed their salary.

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 10:16
For all his bluster I consider myself wealthier for being able to see my children on a daily basis. Nobody's tomb stone listed their salary.

Be glad Dana does what he does and makes the sacrifices to do it. You might need one of his devices one day. If you do, you'll need it very very badly.

On the other hand, some people are easily replaced and contribute very little.

Different strokes. Producers, consumers, you know how it is.

JMS
05-01-2013, 10:19
Be glad Dana does what he does and makes the sacrifices to do it. You might need one of his devices one day. If you do, you'll need it very very badly.

On the other hand, some people are easily replaced and contribute very little.

Different strokes. Producers, consumers, you know how it is.

I'm sure he's the only one in the world that does what he does.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 10:21
For all his bluster I consider myself wealthier for being able to see my children on a daily basis.

I can't say I disagree with this statement...

DanaT
05-01-2013, 10:22

Not many JMS..

DanaT
05-01-2013, 10:23
So why do you think you're special?

Because my mom told me I was special

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 10:24

No. But the fact that his employer is willing to transport him from Germany to Colorado and back every couple of weeks, and make it reasonably comfortable, should give you an idea about how difficult he is to replace.

DanaT
05-01-2013, 10:27
If you are going to post my picture...at least get an actual picture of me

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/OKT08_zps754cbd65.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/ddt951t/media/OKT08_zps754cbd65.jpg.html)

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 11:51
If you are going to post my picture...at least get an actual picture of me

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/OKT08_zps754cbd65.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/ddt951t/media/OKT08_zps754cbd65.jpg.html)

Octoberfest, 2012. :rofl:

Oh, I'm TOTALLY doing that now. "Here lies Dennis in MA. He made $67,000 per year. Eat it, Trebeck!"

JMS
05-01-2013, 12:14
Octoberfest, 2012. :rofl:

Oh, I'm TOTALLY doing that now. "Here lies Dennis in MA. He made $67,000 per year. Eat it, Trebeck!"

Don't forget judgement day, if you haven't lived a good life you'll be relegated to eternity in Ohio. :tongueout:

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 12:24
No.

Uniform is

u·ni·form
noun
an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession,

If I go to McDonalds, they are wearing a uniform
The flight attendant wears a uniform
An NFL player wears a uniform
Etc, Etc, Etc

You are, like Ray, trying to extrapolate a meaning from something that isnt there.

I specifically said "employee" and "uniform".

Had I intended something else, I would have said something else.

Are you now comparing law enforcement to mc Donald's employees?

OctoberRust
05-01-2013, 14:09
the answer is clear. We need socialized work clothes programs.

MaximaDrvr
05-01-2013, 14:30
I didn't read this whole mess, but is this the jist?
The OP is flown all over the place, and appears to be in a relatively high position, but is complaining about the cost of some cloths?

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2013, 14:39
The OP is flown all over the place, and appears to be in a relatively high position, but is complaining about the cost of some cloths?

Basically.

He wants to sell medical equipment in stained shirts and jeans that have holes in them... and is upset his employer won't allow him to, since they don't give him a uniform allowance.

faawrenchbndr
05-01-2013, 14:43

:faint:

Put in an application at McDonalds.........that is where you belong!

CitizenOfDreams
05-01-2013, 14:46
the answer is clear. We need socialized work clothes programs.

No worker left [with bare] behind!

OctoberRust
05-01-2013, 14:52
No worker left [with bare] behind!

Well it really is a right, everyone should be entitled to. The founding fathers just ran out of ink when they were writing the constitution, and that's why it's not in there.

I mean I have the right to pursue happiness, and I just can't pursue happiness without a fancy white collar worker's suit. :crying:

Mrs. Tink
05-01-2013, 15:06

Basically.

He wants to sell medical equipment in stained shirts and jeans that have holes in them... and is upset his employer won't allow him to, since they don't give him a uniform allowance.

The entire thread is satire. It reminds me of when people post stories from the Onion and even after pages and pages of replies, someone still takes it seriously. :rollingeyes:

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2013, 15:18
The entire thread is satire. It reminds me of when people post stories from the Onion and even after pages and pages of replies, someone still takes it seriously. :rollingeyes:

Given this posters history... I'm not 100% sure.

If it is, then I guess me and several others missed it.

IGF

fjrdc
05-01-2013, 20:31
Dress Codes... sometimes you can't wear your AC/DC tshirt & jeans to work :dunno: