TV's dead, need opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TV's dead, need opinions

djpuffnstuff
04-30-2013, 18:02
So I've had this 46'' Panasonic Viera Plasma for a little over 4 years now. I was watching some Tosh.o reruns about an hour ago, went to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner, got back 10 minutes ago, and this is what I find. I checked all inputs so it's def the screen itself.

http://i.imgur.com/bTfU3NPl.jpg
So is there any hope? Could a repair shop repair this cost effectively? Since I'm in the market for a new t.v. most likely what are your suggestions. Budget would be 1500 max.

Also notice the cubby in my wall. Anyone know if they make a Stand that would fit inside of that that I could bolt down and then hang the new TV on it? I really want to get a 60'' for my next tv but with that giant cubby hole there I fear it isn't possible.

jtmac
04-30-2013, 18:35
So I've had this 46'' Panasonic Viera Plasma for a little over 4 years now. I was watching some Tosh.o reruns about an hour ago, went to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner, got back 10 minutes ago, and this is what I find. I checked all inputs so it's def the screen itself.

http://i.imgur.com/bTfU3NPl.jpg
So is there any hope? Could a repair shop repair this cost effectively? Since I'm in the market for a new t.v. most likely what are your suggestions. Budget would be 1500 max.

Also notice the cubby in my wall. Anyone know if they make a Stand that would fit inside of that that I could bolt down and then hang the new TV on it? I really want to get a 60'' for my next tv but with that giant cubby hole there I fear it isn't possible.

I doubt that you're going to find that repairable for anything short of a number that'll have you shopping for something new. With $1500 you can get a good 60" set if you shop right.

If you have studs at the back of your cubbyhole, you can mount an arm bracket inside and just have the TV sit at its extended length. That may give you more room to fiddle with the inputs on the back, too. The only hard part will be finding a bracket for a TV that big that extends the length of the hole. Don't buy a bracket at Best Buy unless you want to spend money. You can find pretty good deals at monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828 although I don't know if any one there will suit your needs.

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 18:38
I am a big fan of the Sharp quattron TV's. We have 2 60" 120hz non 3d versions, and they have been great.

djpuffnstuff
04-30-2013, 18:49
@jtmac- Thanks for the link. I'll check these out.

Also looks like my man dream was very premature as the wife told me the TV had to stay "inside" the cubby.....

jtmac
04-30-2013, 18:53
I am a big fan of the Sharp quattron TV's. We have 2 60" 120hz non 3d versions, and they have been great.

I'm glad you are happy with them, but I will never recommend a Sharp Aquos or Quattron to anyone. They are literally incapable of drawing a straight line properly.

I'm not kidding. Try looking at an image with a solid line on it and look at the sawtooth pattern at the edge. Even on their RGB sets they're using a weird pixel pattern to use 2/3rds the sub-pixels to simulate the full resolution.

All the other manufacturers are producing similar trash on their LED sets, but Sharp is the worst (although Sony has a few sets that are as bad). The closest thing to normal pixels on an LED TV that I've seen are chevron-shaped pixels on an LG set. My Bravia has a lot of technology used to just make the picture worse.

They are selling this garbage as top-of-the-line.

jtmac
04-30-2013, 18:53
Also looks like my man dream was very premature as the wife told me the TV had to stay "inside" the cubby.....

Expand the cubby...

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 18:56
I'm glad you are happy with them, but I will never recommend a Sharp Aquos or Quattron to anyone. They are literally incapable of drawing a straight line properly.

I'm not kidding. Try looking at an image with a solid line on it and look at the sawtooth pattern at the edge. Even on their RGB sets they're using a weird pixel pattern to use 2/3rds the sub-pixels to simulate the full resolution.

All the other manufacturers are producing similar trash on their LED sets, but Sharp is the worst (although Sony has a few sets that are as bad). The closest thing to normal pixels on an LED TV that I've seen are chevron-shaped pixels on an LG set. My Bravia has a lot of technology used to just make the picture worse.

They are selling this garbage as top-of-the-line.

Mine look fantastic from the 8-10 feet I sit away from the sets. I have never seen or noticed jagged lines.

I'M Glockamolie
04-30-2013, 19:06
One of the benefits of growing up on tube TVs and rabbit ears is that A) every new TV looks REALLY good, and I can't tell enough difference to warrant twice the money in the same size TV, and B) in my advanced years, my eyesight probably couldn't pick up the difference if there was enough of one.

I go to Sam's or wherever and buy what's on sale, and every few years, the cheap ones keep getting better like the rest of 'em. Otherwise it would be like buying a $2500 pistol with my mediocre shooting skills. The instrument is not the limiting factor!

silentpoet
04-30-2013, 19:11
Bravia for life.

djpuffnstuff
04-30-2013, 19:20
I'll most likely just buy the biggest Vizio (or whatever's cheaper) I can fit in the cabinet.

50 Cent
04-30-2013, 19:24
This is an interesting thread - had had my 36in Sanyo for 5 yrs and now the colors (particularly for night-time scenes) are useless/overly washed out. It hasn't quite given up the ghost yet but close. Looks like 4-5 yrs is all you get from these things.

Gregg702
04-30-2013, 19:46
This is an interesting thread - had had my 36in Sanyo for 5 yrs and now the colors (particularly for night-time scenes) are useless/overly washed out. It hasn't quite given up the ghost yet but close. Looks like 4-5 yrs is all you get from these things.

My 32" Toshiba has been going strong for 7 years so far, my daughter has it in her room.

Adjuster
04-30-2013, 21:00
There are many Youtube videos on fixing these tv's. Just search your brand and problem. I fixed my Vizio and it was very simple. Cost maybe .75 cents in parts and a little soldering.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=panasonic+plasma+half+screen&oq=panasonic+plasma+half+screen&gs_l=youtube.3...1680.7487.0.8146.28.21.0.7.7.0.137.1723.17j4.21.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.Ut88tI11 SwM

/

HollowHead
04-30-2013, 21:04
Find a girl with jacked up teef and tickle her. The picture should return instantly. HH

Crazy KD
04-30-2013, 21:07
After 3 years our 46" Sony bought the dust with a minor power surge. Repair shop gave me a quote for over $500 so we went new. He said this was a common problem with Sony's. Got a 50" Samsung for $800 that fit in the same spot. I asked the TV repair guy which TVs he recommended and said he couldn't recommend a brand but said he never worked on Samsungs which was recommendation enough.

G29Reload
04-30-2013, 21:14
Looks like someone played w the letterbox settings. Id toggle thru those settings to make sure its really broke.

Samsung all the way if you need a new one.

costanza187
05-01-2013, 03:57
Bravia for life.

:bowdown: Bravia

Ronny
05-01-2013, 04:00
I would suggest going at least a year without tv at all. In a year if you turn on a tv again you'll be amazed how lame it is and what a fog it brings to all your thoughts and how nice it is to be free of that.

captainstormy
05-01-2013, 06:14
I'd probably take it to a repair shop just to get a quote. I've got 2 near me that I know of and both of them give free estimates. I'd say the ones in your area do that too.

ted1
05-01-2013, 06:32
Mine look fantastic from the 8-10 feet I sit away from the sets. I have never seen or noticed jagged lines.

I have the same 60" sharp the picture is absolutely perfect.but I guess if you look close enough you can find fault with anything. Personally I don't sit two feet from my TV with a magnifying glass.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Taphius
05-01-2013, 08:05
Sams club would get you a 65inch vizio, maybe even a 70 if it goes on sale. for that budget.

random southpaw
05-02-2013, 05:59
I may sound like a heretic here but I have read recent articles about how 5 million households in the USA have gone "Zero TV" and the number continue to grow. This confounds and worries both manufacturers of TVs as well as broadcast networks and cable providers.

For what many of us pay for cable TV programming (essentially a package of a lot of stuff we do not want but which contains a few of the programs/networks that we want/need), more households are simply going to their computers and buying what they want when they want it.

My household is creeping closer to trying this option out as our unhappiness with the status quo grows.

F14Scott
05-02-2013, 06:31
One of the benefits of growing up on tube TVs and rabbit ears is that A) every new TV looks REALLY good, and I can't tell enough difference to warrant twice the money in the same size TV, and B) in my advanced years, my eyesight probably couldn't pick up the difference if there was enough of one.

I go to Sam's or wherever and buy what's on sale, and every few years, the cheap ones keep getting better like the rest of 'em. Otherwise it would be like buying a $2500 pistol with my mediocre shooting skills. The instrument is not the limiting factor!

This is me. I cannot tell an appreciable difference, and I suspect most people would not be able to do so in a double-blind "taste test."

I once saw a TV show that studied the human eye's ability to correct for "bad picture," e.g. low light, shifting color (dawn/dusk), blur (fog and environmentals), etc. The test subjects were told to watch a TV show, and as they watched, the TV's settings were slowly changed. The color was lowered to Black and White and then back. The tint was shifted from normal to green to magenta. The sharpness and contrast were faded in and out. The subjects never caught it; their eyes (and brains) just compensated and they kept watching.

Interestingly, the moment the researchers messed with the sound (adding crackle, changing tone, adjusting volume), the subjects ALL noticed.

Redeemed
05-02-2013, 06:32
I would suggest going at least a year without tv at all. In a year if you turn on a tv again you'll be amazed how lame it is and what a fog it brings to all your thoughts and how nice it is to be free of that.

This. Just junk it and spend the money on books.
Did this about two years ago. Loving it.

Z71bill
05-02-2013, 07:45
We are very happy with both of our Samsung TVs.

The "slim" edge - maybe 3/4 of an inch VS 2+ inches on some allows you to get a bigger screen in a tight space.

I noticed the 55 inch Samsung we bought at WM for $899 - was on sale for $849 it is 49.25 wide x 31.125 high.

airmotive
05-02-2013, 07:52
We have a 55" Samsung LED in the living room that I spent well over two grand from B&H.
In the bedroom and den, we have a pair of 42" Samsung plasmas that each cost $395 at Walmart.
I like the 42" picture better in every way.

mhill
05-02-2013, 08:21
I own a 50" Vizio. I can't recommend this TV. It has an awesome picture. 240hz. helps. However I've had to reboot it many times because it just won't come on. Have to get a special sequence from the remote. The remote quit on me for no reason. Had to buy a new one for $120. It will power down sometimes for no good reason.

When it's working it's awesome but I'd look for a different brand. Quality I don't beleive is the strong point of Vizio. Price is.

Adjuster
05-02-2013, 11:06
I own a 50" Vizio. I can't recommend this TV. It has an awesome picture. 240hz. helps. However I've had to reboot it many times because it just won't come on. Have to get a special sequence from the remote. The remote quit on me for no reason. Had to buy a new one for $120. It will power down sometimes for no good reason.

When it's working it's awesome but I'd look for a different brand. Quality I don't beleive is the strong point of Vizio. Price is.

This is interesting as Vizio gets pretty good quality reviews. Are you outside of your warranty? The biggest Vizio retailers are Walmart, Sams Club and Costco and they essentially have a no questions asked return policy. Also if you purchased with a credit card depending on the card issuer your factory warranty is automatically doubled. American Express is known for this. What about things like firmware updates etc?

/

robertoh
05-02-2013, 12:14
TV,s may not be dead,but you have to agree the programing smells bad.

jtull7
05-02-2013, 18:08
Throw it in the trash and don't buy another one.

njl
05-02-2013, 19:17
This is interesting as Vizio gets pretty good quality reviews. Are you outside of your warranty? The biggest Vizio retailers are Walmart, Sams Club and Costco and they essentially have a no questions asked return policy. Also if you purchased with a credit card depending on the card issuer your factory warranty is automatically doubled. American Express is known for this. What about things like firmware updates etc?

/

I wonder if that warranty thing works for the Costco/Amex card? I made the "mistake" of buying Sony Trinitrons for both of our TVs. These things just do not die. Our first one was bought as a display model at Circuit City in 1992. That's the bedroom TV now. The main one was bought in I think the late 90s. Both still work like new...so we've been reluctant to shell out the $ for those new fangled flat screen TVs and the new furniture that would go with them.

swoh
05-03-2013, 21:57
Don't ask me, I'm still watching a 20" Sony I bought back in '92, though I'm on my second DTV converter. I've had folks ask me why I didn't buy something better and my usual response was that the technology was in flux and that prices would be coming down, but now I tell them that I fail to see the need to watch low-quality programing with a high-quality picture and pretty much spend as much time on the 'net as I used to in front of the idiot-box. That said, I've read recently that televisions are pretty much going to be as low-priced as they're going to be until that next technology comes out, which seems to be OLEDs, and gets adopted by the market at large.

BossGodfrey
05-03-2013, 23:11
This. Just junk it and spend the money on books.
Did this about two years ago. Loving it.

Best damn response I've seen yet. I cut cable seven years ago and I don't miss that trash at all !

Taphius
05-03-2013, 23:22
Best damn response I've seen yet. I cut cable seven years ago and I don't miss that trash at all !

Since when do you have to have cable to have a tv?

We want exactly what we want to watch on ours. We have an 82 inch DLP, but we have the proper room for it.

Geeorge
05-04-2013, 03:28
Before I replaced it I would unplug it and let it cool down,then try it again.

And if it is still the same smack it a couple of times,you got nothing to loose

failsafe
05-04-2013, 10:42
We had our TV shoot craps, it was a Sony Wega, 10 years old...Weight 200 lbs....Caught us a bit of guard when it went down as we were in the midst of redoing the room...
We decided to buy something that would fit in the entertainment center that would work for a later remount...
Bought a 47" Vizio, HD smart TV...Very smart move, great picture...The sound since it is in the cabinet, is pretty good, not dynamic by any means, but not bad...( most buy a sound bar for that really dynamic sound)...

If you have a space that you have to fit a tv, do a little measuring and find one that fits your needs...The new Vizo has a very small perimiter that is not part of the screen...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa96/litenlarry/DSC00244_zps3bd4facd.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/litenlarry/media/DSC00244_zps3bd4facd.jpg.html)

http://store.vizio.com/e470ia0.html

okie
05-04-2013, 12:06
A few weeks ago my brother bought a Samsung 42" TV from Best buy, I bet you could get a Samsung for your budget my friend:supergrin:

ClydeG19
05-04-2013, 12:09
:bowdown: Bravia

There can be only one.