Anyone here not drink at all? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here not drink at all?

Pages : [1] 2

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 21:37
THIS IS A NO JUDGEMENT THREAD!!! People state their reason and that is that, whatever it may be.

Is there anyone here who doesnt drink at all?

Would you mind telling us why?

JAS104
04-30-2013, 21:40
I do drink...

I know BEER quit recently... Almost drove drunk. He quit. Hope he's doin okay. I know it ain't easy.

I don't drink heavily, but I enjoy a beer or bourbon. I know it doesn't answer your question OP, sorry!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Ohio Cop
04-30-2013, 21:42
I drank enough to kill a small village when I was in college.

I kept keystone light and coors in business probably...I drank sociably and it never affected my work or my schooling.

That being said: I don't care to lose control of myself. Just not really all that into it now. I barely drink now, I might have a Corona or a Sam Adams when I'm on vacation or at the beach and that's it so a few beers a year. I see what the effects of alcohol do to people through my work and I'm good.

There is an open invitation to all friends and family members: if you're going to drink and need a ride, my phone is always on.

Marine123
04-30-2013, 21:43
I don't drink because I get violent so i gave it up.

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 21:43
I was just thinkin'... Don't you know BEER???

JAS104
04-30-2013, 21:49

Seriously, I support him. What he's going through is near impossible. 25 years of drinking and quitting cold turkey... His body is rebelling on him right now. I can't imagine the stuff he's dealing with.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 21:52
I don't drink it all, I can't afford to.

Oh, you said at. Sorry.

:supergrin:

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 21:54
too many awesome drinks out there to still discover!

gjk5
04-30-2013, 21:57
life is too short to stay sober all the time.

Dan_ntx
04-30-2013, 21:57
As of a couple of years ago I no longer drink at all. I drank socially from 18 to 40, beer and wine, and was a bartender for almost 5 years. I just never developed a taste for it and decided it was easier to just say "I don't drink" than try to nurse a warm beer or tote around a glass of wine at social events so people would stop offering. I decided when I turned 40 that It just wasn't something that I enjoyed...so I would stop trying.

From 18 to my late 20s I tried to be a drinker... I was able to go get drunk, but never able to hang out and drink a few and enjoy it. Especially liquor...I tried every type and brand I could think of but it just isn't for me. More power to you guys (and gals) that can enjoy it, you can divide my share equally.

So far my life hasn't changed at all. People still offer me drinks and I still politely decline.

Mushinto
04-30-2013, 21:58
I very rarely drink. I do not like to be drunk, do not need it to give me courage, do not need it to make me relax, do not need it to make me cool and do not need it to make me forget anything.

I do not like the feeling of not being in control or having my normal facilities impaired.

Most of my family were non or rare drinkers. Some say there is a gene for alcoholism and I guess we do not have it.

Sharky7
04-30-2013, 21:58
I drink pretty infrequently...just about a half a dozen times a year. I only drink when getting together with friends, sharing some conversation or catching up over a few beverages. Or weddings...open bars!

I keep pretty busy with work, volunteer projects, family, etc. Don't want to be playing catch up on my days off with feeling gross from drinking the night before.

JAS104
04-30-2013, 21:59
GTDS has arrived, lol. Hide the women!

Joshhtn
04-30-2013, 22:02
I don't drink at all... I did occasionally to unwind or to let loose after a long day at work, but since starting my own business, I just don't have a need for it anymore.

DreamWeaver88
04-30-2013, 22:02
I don't drink, other than a beer and a shot a couple of times a year when I visit my family in Canada, but that's it.

I've gotten drunk more than a few times in my teen years, and each time I really didn't like the feeling....so it never stuck with me.

devildog2067
04-30-2013, 22:03
I'm enjoying a Rittenhouse Manhattan as I type this, as a matter of fact.

I don't drink regularly but I do enjoy a cold beer or a good cocktail now and then.

racer11
04-30-2013, 22:06
One of my X girl friend's was a drinker and alcoholic. I just remember the drunkend evenings at home all the time and fights associate with her drinking anything she could afford.

Those memories make me never to want to drink anything with alcohol in it.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 22:06
GTDS has arrived, lol. Hide the women!

Not just the women. Some of these guys aren't, uh, discriminating.

04-30-2013, 22:07
I don't. The last time I got drunk was August 9, 1995

I did all my drinking in the years just after high school and I just had enough. I decided it wasn't going to be my thing.

I'll have an occasional drink like for new years, but that's it.

JAS104
04-30-2013, 22:10
Not just the women. Some of these guys aren't, uh, discriminating.

I forgot about Ronny

Detectorist
04-30-2013, 22:12
I rarely drink. Don't like beer.

I do like to make wine, though. My gallon will probably last me a year.

Zeebra724
04-30-2013, 22:14
Nope. I never had the desire, but then, my main reasons are...

(1) The Bible makes it clear that getting drunk is sin in God's eyes.
(2) As a Christian, though I know the Bible doesn't explicitly say that you can't drink alcohol, I don't want to put myself in the position of possibly sinning by getting drunk.

My analogy is if I was told that if I ever burnt my hand then I'd get in serious trouble, why would I hold my hand over a red-hot heating range?

Bilrus61
04-30-2013, 22:15
My folks didn't drink. I've never been drunk. I can count on my hand the times I've drank. I don't like the taste. Beer tastes like horse piss. Wine taste like rotten grape juice. Sake tastes like turpentine. Whisky tastes like nyqui. I don't see how the first guy ever drank enough to get drunk unless he was dying of thirst or something. Been around bars all my life as a pool player and grew to detest drunks and their stupidity.

JAS104
04-30-2013, 22:15

(2) As a Christian, though I know the Bible doesn't explicitly say that you can't drink alcohol, I don't want to put myself in the position of possibly sinning by getting drunk.

My analogy is if I was told that if I ever burnt my hand then I'd get in serious trouble, why would I hold my hand over a red-hot heating range?

Seriously not trolling, but where does
It say getting drunk is a sin?

TK-421
04-30-2013, 22:16
I don't drink because I can't afford it, I haven't found something I like, and I don't see much of a point to it. Kids these days think it's cool to get drunk, I don't. Older people like to sip a good alcohol, but all the "good" stuff just smells like paint thinner to me, and tastes awful.

If I found something I liked, and could afford it, then I'd probably drink socially. But I'd never drink to get drunk. However, since other things are taking my money, and I haven't found anything I like, I don't drink.

fgutie35
04-30-2013, 22:22
I could say that technically I don't drink at all, cause I only drink on christmas when all my brothers are down here for the holidays. I used to be a heavy liquor drinker. Specially Mezcal or tequila, and I could go thru several bottles in one night. I just turned 40 and I lost interest in any alcohol. I never got to like beer to the point to crave it. When I felt pressured to drink beer just to sociolize with relatives, there was only a select group of beers I could stand. I never got anything from drinking alcohol other than a bloated stomach and bladder. Same thing happened with cigarrettes. I could smoke pack after pack, cause that is what the other kids were doing, but never got anything out of it. So one day I just quitted and never smoked again. Now cigars, I do smoke in special ocasions, but it has to be " habano".

devildog2067
04-30-2013, 22:22
I don't like the taste.

Do you like bitter or complex flavors generally?

Beer tastes like horse piss.

Good beer can have incredibly complex flavor profiles. There are beers that taste like freshly baked bread, beers that taste like summer fruits, beers that taste like dark chocolate and coffee...

Wine taste like rotten grape juice.

Wine is even more complex! A good wine is one of life's most fundamental pleasures.

Sake tastes like turpentine.

I'm with you there, I don't like sake.

Harper
04-30-2013, 22:26
I almost never do. It doesn't agree with a few medical issues I have, namely EE & GERD.

Zeebra724
04-30-2013, 22:27

The Apostle Paul (through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) commands the Church in Ephesians 5:18 to not get drunk:

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,"

He also says in his letter to the Romans (Rom. 13:13-14):
"Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires."

There are other passages but these 2 are fairly clear directives. Please understand though that I am not a perfect individual--as no Christians are...I still struggle with temptations to sin even though drunkenness is not one of them for me.

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 22:27

i agree, i dont remember it i n the bible.

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 22:28

I understand that is a very common view in Christianity...and understandable.

From a Jewish standpoint, two thoughts that a lot of people probably wouldnt know.

In Traditional Judaism, there are actually two days a year that we are commanded to get drunk. (Purin and Simchat Torah) On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)

And, in one of Judaism holiest works, (the Talmud) we are told things like

Wine opens the mind.

Wine is better than any medicine.

When wine goes in, the truth comes out."

Moderate consumption of alcohol as a blessing but taken in excess, it quickly turns into a curse.

There is an idea that sometimes we must think, and sometimes we must feel. We think with the mind and feel with the heart. A little booze can help cut the link and make one feel far more when that is what is needed.

FloridaGun
04-30-2013, 22:30
Because I don't hate my life. It is unhealthy. Seems counter intuitive to impair oneself willingly. I would rather spend my time doing something constructive, instead of being in a self inflicted drugged stupor.

I can handle/enjoy life without a need to temporary escape reality.

I have recognized the subcouncious death drive and refuse to allow it to control me.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 22:32
I like my debauchery :supergrin:

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 22:34
I like my debauchery :supergrin:

debauchery is fun!

xRUSTYx
04-30-2013, 22:34
Big fan of micro brewery beers. Don't drink (Even beer) any longer due to gastro health issues :(

I miss having a beer here or there ... But, I'd rather have my health and be around longer with family :)

Zeebra724
04-30-2013, 22:39
On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)

Interesting, especially as I'm preparing to teach through the Book of Esther with my teens (I'm an assistant pastor at my church). I've read that the Persians would purposefully get drunk to the same level when making important decisions in order for them to see if they still came to the same conclusions when completely drunk. I wonder if there is any connection with that philosophy and the Biblical understanding behind Purim as recorded in the Book of Esther.

04-30-2013, 22:39
I will say, that with a buzz, I drop my inhibitions like a cloak. That can be a good thing or a bad thing - a drunk mouth speaks a sober mind - depending.

After spending the first 18.5 years of my life in religious indoc., I've found that I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints.

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 22:40
when im drunk smoking a cigarette seems like a good idea. Never smoke em sober though.....

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 22:40
Do you like bitter or complex flavors generally?

Good beer can have incredibly complex flavor profiles. There are beers that taste like freshly baked bread, beers that taste like summer fruits, beers that taste like dark chocolate and coffee...

Wine is even more complex! A good wine is one of life's most fundamental pleasures.

I'm with you there, I don't like sake.

I am really getting knowledgeable about beer. I go to tastings. Have taken classes (we have a super mega booze store that hold a lot of classes) I subscribe to a magazine. Am a member on a few forums and I keep a notebook of what I try. Man, is it fun. I REALLY dig the adventure of beer....but it isnt about "drinking" it is pretty much the same as trying new food.

As for wine, I am a little behind. Lady Rabbi is not a beer person but is a wine person. She is on an adventure learning about wine. Being part of that with her has been a lot of fun (even if beer is still my thing)

I really would like to have a GT get together and go to Shiner Texas. (I wish you would come if we did, I'll send a damned jet) In the past, every GT get together I have done/been a part of was awesome (Shot Show, range days....)

Detectorist
04-30-2013, 22:41
I understand that is a very common view in Christianity...and understandable.

From a Jewish standpoint, two thoughts that a lot of people probably wouldnt know.

In Traditional Judaism, there are actually two days a year that we are commanded to get drunk. (Purin and Simchat Torah) On Purim, it is even specific how drunk you must get (where you cant tell the difference between two specific names in the story)

And, in one of Judaism holiest works, (the Talmud) we are told things like

Wine opens the mind.

Wine is better than any medicine.

When wine goes in, the truth comes out."

Moderate consumption of alcohol as a blessing but taken in excess, it quickly turns into a curse.

There is an idea that sometimes we must think, and sometimes we must feel. We think with the mind and feel with the heart. A little booze can help cut the link and make one feel far more when that is what is needed.

Wow, I learned something today.

Cali-Glock
04-30-2013, 22:42
Alcohol consumption Yes/No
No - last time I consumed was more than 20 years ago.

Why?
I had already consumed more than my fair share for a person with a very long life, yet I was still pretty young. So I stopped drinking to give everyone else 80 years or so to fail at trying to catch up with me. ;-)

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 22:46
Wow, I learned something today.

It is true.

How Drunk Is Drunk?

"Rava said: It is one's duty levasumei, to make oneself fragrant [with wine] on Purim until one cannot tell the difference between 'arur Haman' (cursed be Haman) and 'barukh Mordekhai' (blessed be Mordecai)" (Babylonian Talmud, Megillah 7b).

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Jewish_Holidays/Purim/At_Home/Meal/Drinking_on_Purim.shtml

DaneA
04-30-2013, 22:52
I drink about 3-4 times a year but not enough to get drunk. Problem is that I am getting quite the collection of 'shine from folks at work.

Folsom_Prison
04-30-2013, 22:52
Booze is great, you should try getting your swerve on! Thing is when you hold a nice cold beer compared to the bible, you know it's real and it will actually have a pleasurable effect on you.

There's lots of life's simple pleasures to be had instead of ignoring them buy following some umpteen thousand year old book. :wavey:

The Apostle Paul (through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) commands the Church in Ephesians 5:18 to not get drunk:

"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,"

"Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires."

There are other passages but these 2 are fairly clear directives. Please understand though that I am not a perfect individual--as no Christians are...I still struggle with temptations to sin even though drunkenness is not one of them for me.

Harper
04-30-2013, 22:53
when im drunk smoking a cigarette seems like a good idea. Never smoke em sober though.....

When you're drunk a lot of things seem like a good idea that don't when you're sober.

RightGlock1
04-30-2013, 22:54
I'll play. From 18 to 27 was a blur. I spent my time and money on alcohol and parties.
Don't have crap to show for that time other than a scar on my right bicep and across the back of my right hand from a knife fight.

Age 28 got married. Quit drinking cold turkey. Promised to be a good husband, provider, and most importantly father. I wanted kids so bad, I knew that I had to change. My life to date is pleasantly fulfilled. I have a great wife, 2 great kids.
Not perfect, great to me, and that's what counts.

We all have faults. Alcohol made mine worse. I didn't want to be a bad example to my kids. Having drunk relatives that make complete fools of themselves in front of family, and guests, really is a no brainer.

To each his own. I'm not perfect. I had a goal to make, and I'm trying hard every day to keep it that way.

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 22:57
When you're drunk a lot of things seem like a good idea that don't when you're sober.

which is why alcohol leads to more fun!:cool:

Rexzilla
04-30-2013, 22:58
I don't drink because of medicines I take. But, really I never really liked it when I was in college...oddly I went to a small Baptist college...I thought "Animal House" was a documentary from my days there...LOL!

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:00
After spending the first 18.5 years of my life in religious indoc., I've found that I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints.

That right there is sig line material!

Kelo6
04-30-2013, 23:02
I just turned 21, and I don't drink at all. Tried a couple of drinks on my 21st but didn't care for them.

Why? History of alcoholism on both sides of my family. Not worth risking it, in my opinion. As others have said, being drunk isn't "cool", despite what most of my generation thinks.

I don't care if others enjoy it. Most of my family does. Just ain't for me. :wavey:

boxer01
04-30-2013, 23:03
Christ, I forgot alcohol is a demon's brew here and all it does is destroy lives. Guess it isn't possible to you know, CONTROL things.'Cause it's like Heroin ya' know. :upeyes:

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:04
I just turned 21, and I don't drink at all. Tried a couple of drinks on my 21st but didn't care for them.

Why? History of alcoholism on both sides of my family. Not worth risking it, in my opinion. As others have said, being drunk isn't "cool", despite what most of my generation thinks.

I don't care if others enjoy it. Most of my family does. Just ain't for me. :wavey:

"Just ain't for me" is the best reason I've seen yet.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:05
Christ, I forgot alcohol is a demon's brew here and all it does is destroy lives. Guess it isn't possible to you know, CONTROL things.'Cause it's like Heroin ya' know. :upeyes:

Speaking of, you seen my little rubber hose anywhere?

boxer01
04-30-2013, 23:05

Absolutely! It's that simple, instead people feel the need to guilt trip with family horror stories or take moral high grounds. :dunno:

04-30-2013, 23:06
That right there is sig line material!
I stole that from Billy Joel;

I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints,
the sinners are much more fun...

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 23:06

Slow yer' roll man.....

It is understandable that people could feel any of a number of way about this issue. Let them. Post all you want about why you get your drink on but dont attack anyone because they have reasons they dont.

That and I am lit up pretty good and when that happens, I am all about peace and love! LOL!

FloridaGun
04-30-2013, 23:08

Because it doesn't make you feel like your being judged.

I get the fuzzys inside too when no one opposes/dosen't do what I do.

Glockumollie
04-30-2013, 23:10
Well #1 is I'm a devout Christian that is trying to live my life in obedience to the word of God that says drunkenness is a sin. #2 Any trouble and I mean any trouble that I've ever gotten in in my whole life alcohol was involved. I'm not a legalist that says anyone touch alcohol and yer going to hell or for that matter that it is a sin cuz that's not true. In the book of 2nd timothy Paul says to take a little wine each day for infirmitys. But for me I know my limit and my limit is zero. When I got drunk I was like Doctor Jeykal and Mr. Hyde. Its been about 15 years since I drank anything. I don't miss it at all. I've also seen many families and lives destroyed by it. I'm not judging anyone else I'm just speaking for myself. That's all I got to say about that.

boxer01
04-30-2013, 23:11
Slow yer' roll man.....

It is understandable that people could feel any of a number of way about this issue. Let them. Post all you want about why you get your drink on but dont attack anyone because they have reasons they dont.

That and I am lit up pretty good and when that happens, I am all about peace and love! LOL!

Someone doesn't want to drink, that's their own choice and I completely respect that, BUT like I said, if they choose to shake a finger at people about it or try to guilt trip them with family/friend horror stories....

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:11
Because it doesn't make you feel like your being judged.

I've yet to give much a hoot about that, thanks growing up in an ultra conservative Christian family.

N4LP
04-30-2013, 23:12
My folks didn't drink. I've never been drunk. I can count on my hand the times I've drank. I don't like the taste. Beer tastes like horse piss. Wine taste like rotten grape juice. Sake tastes like turpentine. Whisky tastes like nyquil. I don't see how the first guy ever drank enough to get drunk unless he was dying of thirst or something.

The taste of alcohol is like anything else that you don't instantly like the flavor of, drink or eat enough of it and often you'll develop an appreciation for it over time. When I was a kid I didn't like onions, peppers, oysters, whiskey, wine, beer and probably a hundred other things that weren't just sweet or salty. I still don't care for beer or bell peppers, but the rest of them I like just fine these days. If I only stuck with food or drink I liked from the first, my diet would be very, very boring.

And whiskey doesn't taste like Nyquil at all. If anything Nyquil tastes like some type of bad liqueur. I'm not sure if there is a good liqueur though, so I may be biased.

Rabbi
04-30-2013, 23:14
Someone doesn't want to drink, that's their own choice and I completely respect that, BUT like I said, if they choose to shake a finger at people about it or try to guilt trip them with family/friend horror stories....

Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

As long as we are free to give those forces the finger...let it go.

BEER
04-30-2013, 23:14
the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:16
the fact that i've been mentioned by name directly in this thread really brings it home for me. of all the threads, of all the opinions, of all the things i've stated on this website over the years, the fact that my quitting is what brings me up in conversation is what really and truly gives me perspective.

now i have a reason to try harder to be remembered for more.

To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.

FloridaGun
thanks growing up in an ultra conservative Christian family.

Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.

NeverMore1701
Brother...no matter what choice you make...about anything, there is someone against it.

like I have said here many times, if a snake was eating a baby, someone would be on the snakes side.

Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes :whistling:

OldSchool64
04-30-2013, 23:17
We haven't forgotten you BEER, maybe we never will.

BEER
04-30-2013, 23:20
To be fair, bud, your username makes it a lot more memorable. I doubt it would stick in most people's minds if your username was glockerjohn14 or something.

i've thought long and hard about changing it, but then i'd have to remember a whole new username and password, and i'd feel like some sort of wuss for dropping my name, almost like i was trying to hide my past.

i am who i am and i've done what i've done. good or bad i am known by my name and by my word.

boxer01
04-30-2013, 23:21
Lol, guess I ought to go shoot up some drugs, get some tatts and a bottle of Jack. Then we could relate more.

Or, Not.
Or you could hop off your delusional pedestal and realize you're no more holier then ANYONE else. :rofl: :upeyes:

Diesel McBadass
04-30-2013, 23:23
i grew up in a family of very religous liberals.....now im the opposite of both.

Folsom_Prison
04-30-2013, 23:24
Well, there's a few of us on here who are pretty partial to snakes :whistling:

^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!

BigDeeeeeeee
04-30-2013, 23:30
I drank pretty heavily till about a year and a half ago. I gave it up for health reasons( middle age, over weight, a couple years into non insulin diabetes drugs). Once a year at Turkey camp I have a few drinks over the weekend and I've maybe had a beer 5 or 6 times in that time too. I'm off the diabetes meds, losing weight but for some reason am still middle aged, two out of three ain't bad.:wavey:

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:31
^^^^^ loves the trouser snakes, thats what he really meant!

We know you do, but we accept you anyway. :supergrin:

Riverkilt
04-30-2013, 23:33
I'm a bad drunk when I drink - alcohol withdrawal seizures, pass out for days....bother the cops and the EMTs and the ER folks. Got sober in 1989...turned myself in to AA. Was willing to do what they said worked. It did. So now I'm sober over 23 years. You'd call it a miracle if you knew me when I was drinking. Descended from many generations of alcoholics - maybe DNA...grew up around booze and drunks...maybe because it was available. First blackout was at age 10...dang near drank myself to death in college. Heavy drinking on a baby liver (liver doesn't mature until age 21 - that's where the drinking age comes from) causes alcoholism. Drinking booze heavily gets one addicted too. So I meet all three ways of becoming alcoholic and did. Best thing about sobriety is that sexual pleasures are much more intense and pleasurable when sober....and women are more likely to want to share such pleasures when I'm not besotted. I love sobriety. No one took anything from me. Its right there if I want it. My health and my life is so much better now. Can't believe I let myself become a slave to those corporate booze dealers. Drinkers check up: More than four drinks in one sitting is binge drinking according to doctors. And guessing you know all them "flavors" are just carrier vehicles for the alcohol which is identical whether its in Budweiser (worst beer ever brewed) or Jack Daniels, or Captain Morgan or Listerine or Lysol, or gasoline in the winter...

I didn't get in trouble every time I drank, but every time I got in trouble I'd been drinking.

Ask yourself - have you ever been arrested sober? (Warrants don't count)...amazing correlation between booze and handcuffs.

Biggest miracle of all for me is that since I chose to stop drinking I haven't been arrested once...not once...

Batesmotel
04-30-2013, 23:34
I grew up with it but was not a drinker. Mom used as medicine on me.

Joined the LDS church so I don't drink.

I use Everclear as a lens cleaner and in some very old darkroom processes and I cook with wine. But I don't drink.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:42
I'm a bad drunk when I drink - alcohol withdrawal seizures, pass out for days....bother the cops and the EMTs and the ER folks. Got sober in 1989...turned myself in to AA. Was willing to do what they said worked. It did. So now I'm sober over 23 years. You'd call it a miracle if you knew me when I was drinking. Descended from many generations of alcoholics - maybe DNA...grew up around booze and drunks...maybe because it was available. First blackout was at age 10...dang near drank myself to death in college. Heavy drinking on a baby liver (liver doesn't mature until age 21 - that's where the drinking age comes from) causes alcoholism. Drinking booze heavily gets one addicted too. So I meet all three ways of becoming alcoholic and did. Best thing about sobriety is that sexual pleasures are much more intense and pleasurable when sober....and women are more likely to want to share such pleasures when I'm not besotted. I love sobriety. No one took anything from me. Its right there if I want it. My health and my life is so much better now. Can't believe I let myself become a slave to those corporate booze dealers. Drinkers check up: More than four drinks in one sitting is binge drinking according to doctors. And guessing you know all them "flavors" are just carrier vehicles for the alcohol which is identical whether its in Budweiser (worst beer ever brewed) or Jack Daniels, or Captain Morgan or Listerine or Lysol, or gasoline in the winter...

I didn't get in trouble every time I drank, but every time I got in trouble I'd been drinking.

Ask yourself - have you ever been arrested sober? (Warrants don't count)...amazing correlation between booze and handcuffs.

Biggest miracle of all for me is that since I chose to stop drinking I haven't been arrested once...not once...

Never been arrested. Enjoy sex both drunk and sober. Take care of myself physically. Waste my money on lots of stuff, booze budget is small potatoes. Don't get in trouble, whatever that means, drunk or sober.

Did I hit all the high points?

Great that booze isn't for you, glad you came to a decision that you're happy with.

NMG26
04-30-2013, 23:42
When I was young I use to get in trouble when I drank. Something about my personality got be beat up often when I drank. I decided to stay in control and be more careful around people after several instances.

Did not drink in my 20's and 30's......no problem.

Now I drink one night a week. I tend to stay in safe company when I do. When out on the town I don't ever loose control anymore if I have a drink or 3. I guess I learned to handle my alcohol a little better.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:45
When I was young I use to get in trouble when I drank. Something about my personality got be beat up often when I drank. I decided to stay in control and be more careful around people after several instances.

Did not drink in my 20's and 30's......no problem.

Now I drink one night a week. I tend to stay in safe company when I do. When out on the town I don't ever loose control anymore if I have a drink or 3. I guess I learned to handle my alcohol a little better.

All things in moderation, eh? Sounds good to me.

Including moderation :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
04-30-2013, 23:50
THIS IS A NO JUDGEMENT THREAD!!! People state their reason and that is that, whatever it may be.

Almost 32, never had a drink in my life. My biological father did significant prison time due to drugs and alcohol. Not to mention some family that are raging alcoholics to this day. It was just something I decided in my early teens I didn't need. It's also why I never experimented with drugs.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Riverkilt
04-30-2013, 23:51
Darkroom/wine? If you're really cooking food you eat with wine know that university labs have repeatedly proven that 75% of the alcohol still is in wine after its been sautéed for 90 minutes. Restaurant folks will tell you it cooks out. That is not true.

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:52
So, still tastes great, which is the entire point.

Riverkilt
04-30-2013, 23:55
Point is folks who don't want to have alcohol in their body - or shouldn't for medical or legal reasons, need to know that food cooked with alcohol - at home or on the town - is still gonna have alcohol in it when you eat it.

Folsom_Prison
04-30-2013, 23:55
Booze mixed in food is awesome, rum cake is a damn fine example!

NeverMore1701
04-30-2013, 23:59
Point is folks who don't want to have alcohol in their body - or shouldn't for medical or legal reasons, need to know that food cooked with alcohol - at home or on the town - is still gonna have alcohol in it when you eat it.

I doubt conscientious diabetics do a whole lot of cooking with alcohol.

9jeeps
Drank enough booze to float a battle ship. About age 35 or so while standing at a trough in a sleezy honkey tonk. A guy said I'm pissing away a fortune. He was right.

That was the end of that.

Two to three packs a day smokes. Cigs went to 50 cents a pack.
I'm burning up a fortune in smoke.

That was the end of that.

I might have a draft rarely with a meal.
Smoke,,,,, YUK! You should smell the walking ashtrays at the market. You can smell em clear across the parking lot.

NeverMore1701
Booze mixed in food is awesome, rum cake is a damn fine example!

And I make a mean one!

NMG26
05-01-2013, 00:26
All things in moderation, eh? Sounds good to me.

Including moderation :supergrin:

Generally.

Lately I have been playing poker on Saturday night with a drinking crowd. I got hammered last weekend. Had a good time. I tend to loose my inhibitions when I drink. I say things that I think other people will understand and then don't bother to explain. I still need to be careful.

05-01-2013, 00:33
Darkroom/wine? If you're really cooking food you eat with wine know that university labs have repeatedly proven that 75% of the alcohol still is in wine after its been sautéed for 90 minutes. Restaurant folks will tell you it cooks out. That is not true.
Steaks marinated in red wine with garlic and onions and a bit of EOO grilled rare....:grill::eat:

DustyBottoms
05-01-2013, 00:55
I live in CA wine country, I like several different drinks including beers, mixed bourbons, and others.

Primarily I drink wine. That is my evening medication. Usually I dont drink until nightfall and I'm home relaxing after the busy day but usually every night. It relaxes me before bed time. I got worried about my drinking so I quit for 2 months to see if it affected me. The only thing I noticed is that I lost a few pounds. I like a nice "cheap" chardonney and that is my go to drink.

I never drive with a buzz and ignore my christian relatives that worry about me.

At this point if I die and go to hell I'd rather be with my friends.

JLB768
05-01-2013, 01:02
I'm 44, haven't drank since my 21st birthday. But I recently discovered Smirnoff 100 Espresso. For about a month, I've been taking two shots before bed, haven't slept this well for decades.

ETNSHOOTER
05-01-2013, 02:02
I work evenings and don't get home till about 2:00AM. I usually drink 2 or 3 shots of Vodka or Burbon. It just relaxes me. I've got so used to it, I can hardly sleep with out it. Lol. But I never drink more than that. I don't like to get drunk. Makes me feel bad!!! Lol. Anyway, I just like a "nightcap". Helps me sleep.

ede
05-01-2013, 03:49
Never did drink much, like a beer when I had pizza. Found out I was diabetic and didn't drink again.

cowboy85306
05-01-2013, 04:03
Because I don't hate my life. It is unhealthy. Seems counter intuitive to impair oneself willingly. I would rather spend my time doing something constructive, instead of being in a self inflicted drugged stupor.

I can handle/enjoy life without a need to temporary escape reality.

I have recognized the subcouncious death drive and refuse to allow it to control me.

1++ well said.

Lior
05-01-2013, 04:10
The only alcoholic drink I really like is cider, and it is difficult to find here in the Third World, so I teetotal. I did drink some cider in Switzerland a year ago though - it was delicious.

Glockworks
05-01-2013, 04:11

I do not normally (maybe once every 2/3 years) drink alcohol for a few reasons:

- never got into the habit
- do not think it tastes that good
- my Dad drank beer a lot, and it was not a good impression, though he was a good man, he was BETTER when he quit drinking.
- I have other vices, and do not need another one

I work in the maintenance of RF systems (I still do) and do not think the consumption of alcohol is conducive to making my personal or work life better (again I have other problems like loving chocolate and other fatty foods, who needs another problem, eh?)

Jumper
05-01-2013, 04:58

Good post. The same exact reasons I don't drink.

Longtooths
05-01-2013, 05:01
I drank like a fish in college and some of High School. I drank a lot! The hangovers started lasting longer and hurting more. Until they got so bad it just wasn't worth it. Got a good woman, good job and the kicker, a CHL. That was many years ago and I don't miss it.

clancy
05-01-2013, 05:15

Perhaps you are fortunate to have grown up in a family that has no horror stories related to alcohol. For some of us the nightmarish memories caused by alcohol are very real.

HerrGlock
05-01-2013, 05:25
I'm trying to remember the last time I had something with alcohol in it to drink. Probably 2002 or so. Was Joe's Crab Shack and I wondered what "that" (can't remember what it was) tasted like so I got it. Couple sips later I was done and it sat there until I left.

I never understood the attraction to it. Grew up in a house with the very occasional beer and even rarer wine in it. Dad died two years ago and we found a couple bottles of wine he and mom got for a wedding present in '60.

In Korea I tried Soju (Holy cow, that's what they mean by the Devil's own drink). I've tried Heffeweissen and Kristalweissen in Germany, tried various "You HAVE to try..." wines and various mixed drinks. Mickey's big mouths in HS, Lowenbrau, Molsen's, Finlandia, Absout, Godiva liquor. Odds are I've tried it if it's something in a standard bar. This is over 20 or so years.

If I was even vaguely interested in the stuff and didn't hate the taste/feel of it, all that interest goes away when I see people who do drink regularly. Probably the best anti-drinking commercial out there would be just a live feed of almost any bar on a normal night.

Never saw the attraction to the liquid itself, it still baffles me why it's even partially an attractant. -eh- whatever blows one's skirt up, I guess.

Tvov
05-01-2013, 05:29

Isn't this thread asking for people's stories of why they don't drink? No one is "guilt tripping" anyone here, they are just posting a response to the question.

Dalton Wayne
05-01-2013, 05:41
I don't drink and despise drunks :steamed:

Tvov
05-01-2013, 05:44
Last time I had an adult beverage of any type was before noon, on July 9th, 2004. That was when my wife said she was going to take the kids and leave right then if I didn't stop drinking.

I LOVED drinking, most anything (except tequila! - made my stomach turn, almost literally!). Especially grew to like the hard stuff like vodka and whiskey. They got you drunk faster without filling you up like beer. Also, clear alcohols give less of a hangover. And you can add vodka to almost anything without making it obvious you're drinking. Replacing the water with vodka in water bottles is a great way to drink all day, and look like you are just drinking water. Make sure to rip off the label of the water bottle, and get one that is a little dirty, so you won't confuse it with straight water and no one else will want to drink out of it.

Yea, I drank. A lot. In the end it is just not worth it.

If you can drink moderately, enjoy it! If you find yourself drinking during your regular work day, or worse at breakfast, stop drinking completely. Just "cutting back" to weekends, or evenings only, will only grow to all day again. Stop completely and continue with your life.

Also, don't think other people don't know you are drinking. You can't hide alcohol breath. I can smell if someone has been drinking, now that I don't drink. Like cigarettes, you really can't hide the alcohol smell.

Well, off to work!

jakeh
05-01-2013, 06:09
Don't drink alcohol, never have. Don't have anything against anyone drinking alcohol except if they get behind a wheel of a car, then I will personally call the cops to come nab you and I don't care if you are a friend or family.

Grew up in a family of alcoholics and it was not a pleasant childhood which carried into adulthood.

Besides, never could understand why anyone would not want to maintain control of their mental faculties.

Jake

Golddog
05-01-2013, 08:18
I'm 74 years old and have never drunk alcoholic beverages. I hate the taste; I hate drunken party-goers, drunk drivers, bars, and the horrendous carnage - car wrecks, fights, mayhem, child and spouse abuse - inflicted by drunks. Alcoholic beverages are among the worst creations of our species.

boxer01
05-01-2013, 08:23
Perhaps you are fortunate to have grown up in a family that has no horror stories related to alcohol. For some of us the nightmarish memories caused by alcohol are very real.
No one questioned if they were real or not. I'm sure they're very real, as how most of the horrible things EVERYONE has had to go through are. Though, regardless if I've went through it or not, I'm not going to go around preaching, guilt tripping, and waving a finger at people who drink just because I had family members/friends who were addicts.

jcrow
05-01-2013, 08:37
I don't. Never have, never will. I dont know anybody that ruined their life by not drinking.

BuckeyePPC
05-01-2013, 08:50
Used to about 30+ years ago until I gave blood to the Red Cross and they told me I had Hep B. Went to dr to find out more and was told I could live a long time or a longer time if I quit drinking because alcohol and Hep B destroyed vital organs.

Also was a big James Bond movies fan. It always seemed that James got into trouble when he drank or was with strange women. Haven't had a drink since. :supergrin:

SixDemonBag
05-01-2013, 08:53
Never have, never will.

Why? Never appealed to me and the damage it does is disgusting.

janice6
05-01-2013, 09:05
My earliest, and continuing memories are of severe Migraines. Later I found they also were triggered by most fermented Alcoholic beverages.

I don't drink out of abject fear of Migraines. They're debilitating, and took a great portion of my life. Pain and fear are great motivators. The Migraines are now gone, but the fear of them remains.

cowboywannabe
05-01-2013, 09:07
welp, muslims and baptist dont drink booze, when anybody's looking.

WarCry
05-01-2013, 09:12
I grew up in a household with one alcoholic and one heavy drinker (not the same thing) for parents. I've seen some pretty nasty fights between them.

But that's not why I don't drink.

A lot of direct family relations (uncles, in particular) have history of over-indulging in alcohol and other substances. I don't know if there's any truth to the issue of hereditary substance addictions.

But that's not why I don't drink.

Aside from when I was a kid, sippin' off my dad's beer, I've had a total of many 1/2 a beer's worth of alcohol, the last time being in 1996. That time was me sampling a beer, just to see if I liked it.

No, the reason I don't drink is because I can't stand the taste of it. Beer, wine, liquor, it all smells and tastes EXACTLY the same to me - like crap. All I can taste is the alcohol. Not fruit or other flavors. It hits my stomach and it burns, and not in the "spreading warmth" way I've heard people describe, but more like I just swallowed a hot coal.

I hang out with a pretty heavy-drinking crowd. Most of the time, it's social drinking, but from time-to-time, it's sloppy-falling-down-drunk drinking. And I have a lot of fun with all of them! I don't judge anyone, and no one judges me (though I still get the occasional shocked "You don't drink at ALL?" kind of questions).

The plus side is the Martini bar we usually frequent doesn't charge for soda when I'm in the group (maybe they think I'm a DD? I don't know).

There are a lot of reasons to not drink - family history, bad past, whatever - and there are plenty of reasons that people want to drink. And none of them are wrong. Some might lead to bad conclusions, but there's nothing wrong either way, and no one owes me any explanations, either way.

bmoore
05-01-2013, 09:12
I'm 74 years old and have never drunk alcoholic beverages. I hate the taste; I hate drunken party-goers, drunk drivers, bars, and the horrendous carnage - car wrecks, fights, mayhem, child and spouse abuse - inflicted by drunks. Alcoholic beverages are among the worst creations of our species.

I remember the exact opposite. Family members having great times together, enjoying some beers or a bourbon and coke. No fights, no DUI's, no arguments, no drunks, no carnage. Just responsible adults all with good jobs/careers and families having a good time.

jtull7
05-01-2013, 09:16
I believe in moderation. I never drink or smoke while asleep.

Dragline
05-01-2013, 09:18
I drink light beer so I guess that's sort of not drinking.

Bill Powell
05-01-2013, 09:20
Up until mid 1965 I, along with all my buddies, would party til we puked every chance we got. Then, one night I drove home from a party with my wife and child, got home, and realized I didn't remember the trip. The trip went through two small mountain passes.

That killed my interest in seeing two of everything.

AngelDeville
05-01-2013, 09:23
I buy a six or twelve pack of beer, and it last me from 2-6 months. I ran out of beer 5 months ago and haven't bought more since.

I'm not opposed to it i just don't do it often, I rarely have one if offered it socially. I only accept if the Mrs. is driving. She accepts less often than I do.

Steel Head
05-01-2013, 09:27
I retired from drinking a bit over 10 years ago.

Reason-it was time and Snohomish county,Wa highly recommended it:whistling:

I drink fake beer occasionally and I miss bar fluzzies but life is much simpler with a lot less drama and all my friends are top notch.

Chuck66
05-01-2013, 09:30
I occasionally drink. But never to excess. Not sure if that meets the intent of the OP question.

I used to get drunk, but last time was in 1999, when I was still in college. Haven't been drunk since. Don't like losing control and there are other things I prefer to spend my money on.

I may have 12 beers and a few glasses of Bourbon or Scotch or wine in a year. Never more than 1 drink a day, and days and weeks pass between drinks.

J_Rico
05-01-2013, 09:30
Like many I was a big drinker when I was younger. Last drink was on my last deployment about 10 years ago.

There is no moral element to my decision to quit. Many of my friends and family drink. Some socially. Some more so. I have bought beer as gifts (big beer movement at work right now). My wife enjoys a glass of wine from time to time and that is fine by me. Just no longer interested.

domin8ss
05-01-2013, 09:31
I haven't had a drop of alcohol since 2001. I stopped because I downed a whole bottle of whiskey straight in 45 minutes. Before I got destroyed I followed it with 2 two liters of Coke and a large bag of Salsa Verde Doritos. I remember missing my shot with the best looking girl I have ever seen (looks determined before I started drinking) when she approached me and I was wasted sitting in a shopping cart in my neighbor's front yard while being loud and laughing. The following morning I was still drunk, had only a slight hangover (closest I've ever come having one) and couldn't take a crap without shooting firey turd chunks for 3 days. I don't remember how I got home, but believe it was on foot since I didn't drive that night. The neighbors that gave me the whiskey still say they are surprised I didn't die from alcohol poisoning. That was the hardest I ever drank.

This last Thanksgiving my sister and her husband were visiting. She could tell work was stressing me out and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels for me to enjoy. I never touched it. When she went back home she took the bottle with her, still unopened.

I don't drink soda either. Water, skim milk, and the occasional Crystal Light peach or raspberry tea for me.

I don't mind being around people that drink. I just won't. I don't like myself while drink and the next morning.

markerbeacon
05-01-2013, 09:50

No, I don’t drink alcohol due the number of drugs I take to keep me alive.

BradD
05-01-2013, 10:12
Nope, never have. I think I had one drink of some kind of hard drink early in HS and one drink of wine at some other point down the line, but that's it.

Had no interest in HS because I was (probably too) extremely serious about my weight lifting and football. I regret being so serious about football, and wish I would've shifted that effort over to WLing.

In college, I was almost always worn completely out and studying during times people were drinking. As I posted in another thread, engineering school was brutally difficult. It was worse for me because I came from an academically weak rural HS. I was on the powerlifting team also, so was training pretty seriously year-round.

After that: family. Again, no interest, nor time. Fast forward 17 years and situation's the same.

It's very good that I don't drink. I've come to understand that I have a very over-the-top addictive personality. I'll over-do anything I do, or I won't do it at all. Little middle ground. I would probably destroy myself if I drank.

fgutie35
05-01-2013, 10:14
i've thought long and hard about changing it, but then i'd have to remember a whole new username and password, and i'd feel like some sort of wuss for dropping my name, almost like i was trying to hide my past.

i am who i am and i've done what i've done. good or bad i am known by my name and by my word.

I would suggest you leave it alone. It will help phsycologically to keep yourself in-check. Also will serve as a testimony to help others. I know you don't believe on this, and I respect that, but God works in mysterius ways.
Don't take it personal, is no my intent to offend.

itstime
05-01-2013, 10:16
I don't. I get to be a Super Hero, stupid and lose control.. That was a long long long time ago.

When people tell you what you did the prior night and you have no memory what-so-ever doing it it is time to take control back of yourself.

Orive 8
05-01-2013, 10:30
I can't say that I have never drunk alcohol; but I can say that in my 50 years; I have never been drunk and that I have only tried alcohol around 2 dozen times.

I don't drink cuz I don't see any reason to drink. I don't like being around people that "have to drink" to have a good time, same goes for my wife. We have always been able to have a good time without needing a drink.

The last few years we have been getting together with a 3 other couples for a game night once a month/or every other month. Alcohol is present, and I have tried a few "concoctions" that have been made, but I still drink my Coke (now Coke Zero - part of my recent decision to loose some weight, 28 lbs lost with another 5 to go!).

On a side note; what is cool about our game night is 7 out of the 8 present CCW daily; the one that does not is my friend's wife who works as a Corrections Sgt. Very cool to get together with like minds!

Merlin40
05-01-2013, 10:37

"1 Co. 6:9-10. Here, the Bible teaches that drunkenness will send a person to hell. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Hope that helps

volsbear
05-01-2013, 10:39
I would say that I barely drink. Maybe once every 1-2 months I'll have one.

When I was younger - not the case.

MaxxAction
05-01-2013, 12:16
I drink...

occasionaly. I used to party a lot when I was young, but even then, I just drank til I got a good buzz. It was a lot more fun to stay coherent and watch the other people get slobbering drunk stupid.

Now it is maybe a shot or two of crown royal and sierra mist, a couple glasses of wine, or a beer or two is about the extent of it for me.

RyanNREMTP
05-01-2013, 12:39
I don't drink because I don't like the taste of alcohol.

Sent from the Tardis using psychic paper.

nursetim
05-01-2013, 13:21
I drink so rarely that most consider me a tea totaler. Just never had much use for it. Don't particularly care for the sensation. I like to drive. Last time I got blasted was 12 yrs ago at a friends wedding. It was the first time my wife saw me drunk. She says I'm a happy drunk. I also hate yaking.

Interesting observation, in the US I got all kinds of grief for not drinking. When I went over to Wales, UK and Europe in general, where drinking is an elementary school activity, well almost, no one said boo about it to me. Not the least little bit of grief. Strange I thought, still think that.

Ricky Ricardo
05-01-2013, 13:59
I don’t drink at all.

This is a personal preference based on having family members who were heavy drinkers. And personally I find that drinkers tend to be a little too obnoxious to suit me. I’m not usually openly judgmental about drinking, I just don’t hang out with folks who do.

bingoke
05-01-2013, 14:08
I was an alcoholic till I almost lost my wife and three kids.
Then I attended the AA for almost a year.
Now, since 12 years I'm completely sober and I haven't had a problem with it.
Since I don't drink anymore, my life COMPETELY changed.
Before, I lived on an island: alone.
Now I have a family and friends, a good job... I'm happy that I found soberness.
I really hope someone reads my post and that it's helping him/her.
Stay cool!

Powermwt
05-01-2013, 14:30

I have not had a drink of any sort since 1992.

That was the year I had my first heart bypass operation. I take medication that is not compatible with alcohol.

That is 21 years. I can't smoke for the same reasons. I miss smoking more than drinking but it is kind of fun to watch my friends party... Mr. Booze in not most people's friend. :wow:

CBennett
05-01-2013, 14:57
I just drink "lightly" on my days off only. I may have 1 ONE beer each day OR a small glass of Scotch,Bourbon or wine...now and then when it gets real wild I will have a Beer and a shot ONE night of my days off! but thats it :) ....now and then maybe a glass of Saki or Wine . I probably drink enough to get drunk 2X a year when out camping or at a wedding or something and never am CCing or driving if I do.

i figured at that rate its not doing anything detrimental to me(if anything at the rate I drink it may be beneficial from many reviews ive read ) so no need to quit.

Singlemalt
05-01-2013, 15:44
<--------- as my SN says, I do enjoy beverages in a very wide range.

I do enjoy it, will continue to do so. It is something that I took further and I do own a beer/wine store. We do many setups, tastings, have chefs preparing food, the participation is really amazing.

I understand those that do not like the taste, some scotches are definitely not for everyone, even those that like. For me much of my drinking goes in seasons. Colder weather I tend to single malts and cabernets. Warmer weather and I am far more inclined to beers. Being in the business we have a nice array of brews, pretty much one that can satisfy anyone's taste.

RMTactical
05-01-2013, 15:45
Never touched it, ever.

I have no judgement for those that do drink. I would drink if not for religious reasons.

Glock20 10mm
05-01-2013, 15:49
For the tee totallers here... I tip my hat to you! For those of us that do imbibe... be responsible, be safe. Stupid hurts... sometimes for a very, very long time.

TK-421
05-01-2013, 15:50
"1 Co. 6:9-10. Here, the Bible teaches that drunkenness will send a person to hell. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Hope that helps

So what is the definition of a drunkard? Is that someone who is belligerent when they're drunk? Is that an alcoholic? Is it someone who gets drunk for fun? Is it someone who only gets drunk once in their life? Is it someone who enjoys drinking but doesn't get drunk and just likes the taste? What makes someone a drunkard in the eyes of the bible?

voomie
05-01-2013, 15:53
I quit drinking because I was becoming an alcoholic if not already. I have over a year sober right now. I also quit because my mom is an alcoholic and it tore the family apart.

MCunningham
05-01-2013, 16:05
Don't drink, happily recovering alcoholic.

chpullen
05-01-2013, 16:19
I do not. I feel MUCH better when I don't drink.

NOLA_glock
05-01-2013, 16:21
I do drink. Beer, specifically. I'm a beer fanatic, and love dorky things like brewery tours, beer releases, and typing reviews. I love brewing my own beer with my dad or my friends, and I especially enjoy digging into the water chemistry and biochemistry of the procedure--applying what I've studied over the years.

I'm not a big drinker, though. I don't drink to get a buzz, or to get drunk. It's just not my thing. If I have a drink at all, its usually to accompany lunch or dinner, because that's what I find most enjoyable. I also go at it in waves. I'll have a month or two where I drink a couple of beers a day, and maybe a few where I won't have any.

Also: I haven't slowed down in my old age, or anything. (I'm 26 :cheers: ) Could be that alcohol (having a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer at the family christmas party) was never taboo when I was growing up. Maybe that's why the whole drinking=getting drunk attitude exhibited by some drinkers and nondrinkers strikes me as odd. I suppose it's reinforced when they know an alcoholic. :dunno:

fusegsp
05-01-2013, 16:30
I don't drink. Neither does my girlfriend. We both have alcoholics in our families. Both my grandfathers were alcoholics who couldn't hold jobs. Her dad was an alcoholic who abandoned his family. Most of her uncles are alcoholics. My brother was/is an alcoholic. One of the most vivid memories of my childhood was my Dad throwing my drunk grandfather ( his father-in-law) down the stairs and out the door. He was there to beat my grandmother and take her money.

misunderestimated
05-01-2013, 16:36

I am 48 now and stopped drinking just when my wife got pregnant with our first child some 19 years ago.One of the reason.I was at a picnic and was listening to a stewed dad telling his daughter why he could not drive her to pick up her friend because the stupid police single him out for having one drink and took his License away and he can no longer get a job or drive because of the police.

I just never wanted to be that Dad having a conversation like that. I also knew if I was going to talk the talk with my kids I had to walk the walk and before my first was born I quit drinking. I always try and live my life so I will never have to be embarrassed explaining my actions to me kids.

Paul53
05-01-2013, 16:41
Funny how we automatically associate the word drink with alcohol.

I drank to excess until I got old enough to drink legally. Then it wasn't fun anymore. Might have had as many as 3 alcoholic drinks in the last 20 years. Just doesn't do anything for me. Also, as an ER nurse, saw too many alcohol powered idiots needing my help. Rather see people smoke weed. Nobody smokes a joint and then goes out to the parking lot to fight (like canned courage). People need to let off steam, but too many people hurt too many people by overdoing it.

For reference, there are different definitions of "alcoholic." There's physical addiction where stopping causes shakes, seizure, etc. There's emotional addiction, where a person drinks to avoid some pain in their life. Often this escalates into physical addiction. The saddest is the person who rarely drinks, but when they do, it has a profoundly negative impact on them and/or others.

Valdrin
05-01-2013, 16:43
I am a very light social drinker, and usually only consume alcohol a few times a year. I just don't have the desire to do it more often.

RonS
05-01-2013, 16:47
I quit in 1975 when I returned from Taiwan. I will have a single drink at a wedding or other function where there is likely to be a toast. Other than that I don't miss it. I got on the 747 in Taipei for the flight home and ordered a 7-up instead of a 7 and 7 and have never looked back, it was a kind of spur of the moment choice. Every once in a while I would like to have a San Miguel pale pilsen but not enough to go look for it. Have no idea where to find Filipino beer in rural Ohio anyway and I know it wouldn't taste the same as I remember it after a 105 degree day on the alert pad.

jtmac
05-01-2013, 16:52
I do not.

I don't have a problem with alcohol personally or religiously.

For a long time, I did not drink first because I associated with people who take issue with alcohol due to their religious culture. Around here even people that have no problem with alcohol can take it a bit strangely when a minister drinks. I was active as leadership in the church and I didn't care about alcohol, so that was that.

A trusted fellow minister friend gave me some good advice, though: Here, I didn't drink so I wouldn't offend my fellow man, but in most of the world this temperance mindset doesn't exist. In a case like that, declining to drink casually for religious reasons would be strange. He advised me to be prepared to do as the Romans when in Rome, and also advised me that I should have some experience with the substance beforehand.

I saw to that. I discovered two very unfortunate things
1. Almost every substance that contains alcohol is absolutely disgusting to me. This is not just a "you get used to it" thing. This is way beyond that. Most things I find myself literally incapable of swallowing. There are a few I can barely manage to sip. A rare few are good or at least unobjectionable... in small amounts.
2. Even when dealing with something I can imbibe significant amounts of (and doing so is a trial...), I get nothing out of it. And I don't mean in terms of alcohol tolerance (although I have weirdly high tolerance for a someone my size and no experience). I get no buzz, no happy, nothing like what other people seek when they drink. It's just a big ball of neutral.

I don't really have any reason to choke down a substance my body tries so hard to reject when it offers me no benefits. So I don't drink.

Dave.1
05-01-2013, 17:01
When I fill out a form for a doctor or hospital I say I "rarely" drink. They always check that I don't drink.

It's been a couple of years since I had a drink but I'd rather not say I don't drink because if I felt like it I would. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just not a big part of my life.

Dave

Bruce M
05-01-2013, 17:02

Interesting. I think I probably blew off church to go out drinking the day they read and discussed those...:whistling:
I believe in moderation. I never drink or smoke while asleep.
:rofl::rofl:

bucky_925
05-01-2013, 17:06
I didn't drink for 18 years, unless the wife and I went out to dinner without the kids. I figured "whatever Daddy drank the kids could drink" never a beer or a bottle of wine in the fridge. Now we are empty nesters and I have a much more stressfully job I have a couple of strong bourbon shots after work before dinner. I enjoy it and don't plan to change my routine

EOS
05-01-2013, 17:13
Old Grandad or Wild Turkey on the rocks every evening after supper, beer on the weekends after the saturday trip to the range.

Angry Fist
05-01-2013, 17:20
I stopped drinking at 18. was never serious about it again until about 10 years ago. Mom and dad were both pretty bad, but I learned from their mistakes. I partied my ass of plenty of times, and never suffered any more than the occasional headache. I still get good and drunk once a month or so, when lack of responsibility permits. I hate bars, and never drive ****ed up.

jakebrake
05-01-2013, 17:22
i don't drink.

sober since september 22, 2006

health reasons.

Diesel_Bomber
05-01-2013, 17:34
I've never had a sip, never will.

Parents were alcoholics, it ****ed up my childhood bad. I can not understand what the appeal of being intoxicated could possibly be and am disgusted by the concept. I do have friends who drink, I do not associate with them when they are drinking.

Those who drink and drive should be charged with attempted murder.

geofri
05-01-2013, 17:36

Who are you to judge what's good for the snake to eat or not?! It's got to eat same as you do!

sonoma
05-01-2013, 17:36
I don't drink at all.Haven't since 2000.If i ever have to use my gun in self defense i wont have to worry about having alcohol in my system.Also, it made me tired and getting older i'm tired anyway.

chewybaca67
05-01-2013, 17:54
I been sober for 26 years. Got sober at a real young age of 20, pfft', not even old enough to drink yet! Anyway, got in a DWI accident as a passenger, almost lost my right leg. Court ordered to treatment, guess I listened. Being sober 'Indin seemed like a new thing back then in '87. Now there are many of us and we realize being a sober 'Indin is older than America. I get some flack at times, being a Lic. booze and dope counselor for the last 13 or so years. Some folks sayin' "Man, look at you Charley. Tryin' to change the world and all. Who you kiddin' dude?"
Well, I ain't trying to change the world, just my place in the world.

Jade Falcon
05-01-2013, 17:57
Non drinker here.

Reasons:

-2 days ago, I witnessed a double-fatality car accident about 50 feet from my apartment. Both occupants were drinking.
-My parents are sobered alcoholics of about 28 years sobriety.
-My sister is sobering up after years of alcohol and drug abuse.
-I've personally witnessed 6 DUI-related driving offenses and crashes that were non-fatal.

...my list goes on. Don't need alcohol. No sir, no thanks.

G17Jake
05-01-2013, 18:03
I quit drinking 22 years ago. It was easy to do. I don't miss it at all. No big reason, it was just something I thought I would try and never went back to drinking.

Now I have no intention of drinking again. The thought of drinking isn't even appealing anymore.

NeverMore1701
05-01-2013, 18:07
I do find it interesting that so many responses are rooted in poor impulse control.

Not trying to make any kind of point, just think it's interesting.

glock1911revolver
05-01-2013, 18:08
I used to drink daily, but I "quit" about two years ago. I will still have a few beers with the family over Christmas, but that's about it.

The reason I quit was 4 years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 (juvenile onset) diabetes. Alcohol makes managing my blood glucose level nearly impossible.

The only thing I really miss about drinking is singing karaoke. I don't have the sack to get up on stage without a little liquid courage.

NMG26
05-01-2013, 18:09
I do find it interesting that so many responses are rooted in poor impulse control.

Is that like "self control"?

pugman
05-01-2013, 18:13
I know its not the same...but I drink very little.

A 6 pack at times can last a month in my fridge. Maybe longer.

I reserve myself to one drunk a year...but its a bad one. This year its looking like my niece's baby shower this past January...left with beer in hand...and one in each coat pocket. Mrs Pugman drove.

I haven't had any hard liquor in well over a year.

Reasons: I run competitive obstacles courses and work out a lot, cost is a factor to a degree (I like expensive stuff) but the #1 reason is the hangover.

When I was 21 I would split a bottle of Jack with a guy starting at 10 am as we watched girls pass by my dorm room window. Later that night we would finish off anywhere from a 12 pack to a case of beer.

If I did this today twenty years later...if I didn't die I would be hung over for days...I have better things to do with my time.

cityborncountrylivin
05-01-2013, 18:17
I pretty much stopped drinking when me and the missus started a family. she gave up her job to stay home and raise the children, I got two more jobs to make up the income. I couldn't afford to drink, I always had something I had to do, and I always had to drive one of them somewhere. Now I take tylenol for my aches and pains and you shouldn't drink when you take it. I don't miss it. I would have missed more of the kids growing up if I had drank

bmoore
05-01-2013, 18:24
I've never had a sip, never will.

Parents were alcoholics, it ****ed up my childhood bad. I can not understand what the appeal of being intoxicated could possibly be and am disgusted by the concept. I do have friends who drink, I do not associate with them when they are drinking.

Those who drink and drive should be charged with attempted murder.

This is just like saying you hate guns because gangbangers shoot each other with guns...........and that you can't stand to be around your friends who own guns. I feel sorry for a lot of people in this thread, they have been scarred by people who have zero self control.

HollowHead
05-01-2013, 18:25
I love drinking, and I've been a happy drunk my entire life. HH

bmoore
05-01-2013, 18:39
This thread is kind of shocking. There are a lot of people that think having a couple beers is what the devil does and that all evil in the world comes from booze.

JAS104
05-01-2013, 18:48
This thread is kind of shocking. There are a lot of people that think having a couple beers is what the devil does and that all evil in the world comes from booze.

Yep. I got into the thread early, but now I feel really judged lol.

As I sit here sipping a brew. :P

Locojmc
05-01-2013, 18:51
I recently stopped drinking, the last drink I had was back at the start of February. I had to stop, if I wanted fighting chance of loosing a massive amount of weight. So far I am well on the road to success.

Tx-SIG229
05-01-2013, 18:56
I stopped drinking after I left active duty military. I never acquired the taste for alcohol and can't stand being around drunks.

seanmac45
05-01-2013, 18:59
I don't drink any more.

Delmonte67
05-01-2013, 19:11
I know its not the same...but I drink very little.

A 6 pack at times can last a month in my fridge. Maybe longer.

I reserve myself to one drunk a year...but its a bad one. This year its looking like my niece's baby shower this past January...left with beer in hand...and one in each coat pocket. Mrs Pugman drove.

I haven't had any hard liquor in well over a year.

Reasons: I run competitive obstacles courses and work out a lot, cost is a factor to a degree (I like expensive stuff) but the #1 reason is the hangover.

When I was 21 I would split a bottle of Jack with a guy starting at 10 am as we watched girls pass by my dorm room window. Later that night we would finish off anywhere from a 12 pack to a case of beer.

If I did this today twenty years later...if I didn't die I would be hung over for days...I have better things to do with my time.

Well said my friend, I drank soo much in my younger/military days, it just got old after 30. I'm in my 40's and I do- once in a blue moon have a few drinks -but If I overdo it I feel it for days and the wife (who always drives and has a glass of wine at the most) usually reminds me of what a loud mouth I was at the party along with my friends-lol. Ive seen drinking take a lot of things from a few friends, Ive just been lucky over all those years driving home ect...

bmoore
05-01-2013, 19:11
I stopped drinking after I left active duty military. I never acquired the taste for alcohol and can't stand being around drunks.

Word.

podwich
05-01-2013, 19:15

Hope that helps

Sheesh. Based on that, I don't think any of us have a chance to get into heaven based on our good works.

Oh, wait....

chewybaca67
05-01-2013, 19:18

Not trying to make any kind of point, just think it's interesting.

Hmmmm. Indeed. Staying away from booze for decades does take a lot of impulse control.

podwich
05-01-2013, 19:20
I enjoy drinking-- Scotch is my current favorite. I also enjoy varied beer and I'd love to get to know wine but right now I'm just at the point of "well that tastes good".

I control drinking. It doesn't control me. I don't drink to a point to cause me health problems. I feel perfectly fine with that. (Just poured myself a dram of Aberlour A'bunadh.) :)

HollowHead
05-01-2013, 19:22

Extremism takes many forms, and it's usually based on jealousy. HH

<< Quite drunk right now.

happyguy
05-01-2013, 19:33
I normally drink bourbon. I have never heard of this "at all". Is it good?

Regards,
Happyguy :) yesithinkillhaveanother

TK-421
05-01-2013, 19:37
Sheesh. Based on that, I don't think any of us have a chance to get into heaven based on our good works.

Oh, wait....

Don't worry, as long as you confess your sins and ask forgiveness, you can get into heaven. :tongueout:

Singlemalt
05-01-2013, 19:37
I normally drink bourbon. I have never heard of this "at all". Is it good?

Regards,
Happyguy :) yesithinkillhaveanother

Absolutely. We just finished a tasting at the store. Record crowd tonight as well as purchase receipts.

Cheers to another!!

Firecop203
05-01-2013, 19:41
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't take any drugs that the Doctor doesn't prescribe.

My father was a very serious alcoholic who was abusive to both me and my mother and I didn't want to grow up and be like him.

Both of my parents were chain smokers and that was another example I decided not to follow.

Drugs...I've seen what it did to my schoolmates and never had any interest.

SouthpawG26
05-01-2013, 20:25
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't take any drugs that the Doctor doesn't prescribe.

Same here. I don't hate alcohol but it simply does nothing that makes me feel better. And I absolutely detest cigarette smoke.

robbcayman
05-01-2013, 20:29
I don't like the taste of beer. When we go out with friends I will have enough drinks to get a slight buzz and then I shut it down. I probably get "drunk" or really tipsy a couple of times a year. Now that I think about it, I haven't had any alcohol in about 3 months.

I'm fortunate that I have never had the addictive gene. However, I have watched close friends who have seemed to really struggle with it. Several are shocked I can go months without drinking and I'm shocked that they can't.

mj9mm
05-01-2013, 20:42
other than a miniscule communion cup on Sunday mornings, nothing else, allergy to alchohol:crying:

NMG26
05-01-2013, 21:07

Another little known fact that I learned right here on GT!

:clown:

bmoore
05-01-2013, 21:18
Hmmmm. Indeed. Staying away from booze for decades does take a lot of impulse control.

If it takes that much impulse control than something is wrong.

ScottieG59
05-01-2013, 21:21
No booze or caffeine. I don't feel the need for it. I also have a family history of diabetes and I tend to gain weight.

As a soldier, I drank some, but not enough to get stupid. I drank a lot of coffee trying to compensate for sleep deprivation.

Now, I don't consume either. There is no religious thing behind it.

NeverMore1701
05-01-2013, 21:27
Also very interesting that so many people seem to equate drinking to drunk.

ILannoyed
05-01-2013, 21:27
I used to do a little but the little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more.

I really like being drunk...a lot. No better feeling in the world, IMO.

But I didn't like the person I saw in the mirror hungover day after day

I was afraid I wasn't going to be the father my children deserved if I kept drinking. I can look them each in the eye and tell them that I have been sober every single day of their life.

Some people won't understand why this is so important to me, but some of you will because you've been there too.

Diesel_Bomber
05-01-2013, 21:31
This is just like saying you hate guns because gangbangers shoot each other with guns...........and that you can't stand to be around your friends who own guns. I feel sorry for a lot of people in this thread, they have been scarred by people who have zero self control.

Relax bub. Reread my post. Never said alcohol should be banned or that other people should not be allowed to drink. Just that I will have no part of it.

Exactly the same courtesy we would extend to those who don't like guns.

Paul7
05-01-2013, 21:55
I can count on one hand the number of drinks I have a year, just don't like it. I am however, a ridiculous over the top foodie.

chewybaca67
05-01-2013, 21:57
If it takes that much impulse control than something is wrong.

Yep. And that's exactly why I quit. It appears many associate failure with utter complete failure with one's whole self. Not my view. There is no failure, only lessons learned. Fortunately, and like many others here, I learn from others' mistakes too.

686Owner
05-01-2013, 21:59

I used to be against it. I guess the DARE program had an effect on me, or so much of my family being alcoholics did it. My parents never drank when I was a kid. Someone gave my parents a can of beer once and it must have stayed in the fridge for a year or more before my brother in law drank it. I figured out that not everyone that drinks becomes and alcoholic later.

Seale Team
05-01-2013, 22:38
I've known more poor decisions to be made while under the influence than any other reason. Both mine and others.

Zeebra724
05-01-2013, 23:01
I've known more poor decisions to be made while under the influence than any other reason.

Case in point: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/01/ohio-family-raped-murdered-6-month-old-watches-killers-execution/?test=latestnews

Diesel McBadass
05-01-2013, 23:09
gonna go to the store to look for some interesting beers tomorrow, love trying intersting new brews :)

Glocksanity
05-01-2013, 23:14
Alcohol makes me nuts. I have enough of that without it.

Taphius
05-01-2013, 23:35
I drink maybe two beers a year if that. Just not my thing

HWI
05-02-2013, 01:10
I don't drink at all.
It's the way I was raised and also a religious thing.

I am in the Navy, plenty of friends that drink. No judging, do your own thing as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else imo. Plus, they know they can count on me for a ride if they decide to really tie one on, so they dig it. lol

philobeddoe
05-02-2013, 02:04
I don't drink ... powerless over alcohol, life had become unmanageable.

cadillacguns
05-02-2013, 03:50
You drink during your lifetime, or in my case a span of twenty some years, I can't tell you how much trouble alcohol does to your body, and others if your an alcoholic. I quit cold turkey one day, wasnt easy, been alcohol free over twenty some years now. That was my problem, Jim Beam and a case of beer each friday, was my weekend. How many times DUI? Never got stopped, never crashed, never hit anyone or anything. Thank GOD. Wished I would never had started, but I didnt know that back then.

Kcolg
05-02-2013, 07:21
Don't drink, never tried alcohol, never had the desire to even try it. Grew with a dad that was an alcoholic and watching that tear our family apart. This was in the early 80's and we spent nearly $100k sending him all over the country to different programs to help him. Pretty much bankrupted our family for years. So no desire..... ever...

JuneyBooney
05-02-2013, 09:26

I don't drink booze at all..only maybe once a year if that. Now back in my early twenties we used to go to booby bars and I would drink like a siv(sic). Then I almost died from alcohol poisoning and I quit..cold turkey. My old man is an alcoholic and he was a nasty s.o.b so I guess it is better this way. :faint:

glockess56
05-02-2013, 14:25
It's quite simple why I don't drink. I'm a recovering alcoholic of 37 years.

zo6kid
05-02-2013, 14:36
Use to drink, my exwife started drinking Beer back `73, she turned into a alcoholic, what a miserble life we had. Stayed married for 27 years,left the B#^$h lost everything but my Ass ,that was in 2000,haven`t drank since !!!!

packinaglock
05-02-2013, 14:37
Between 7:00am - 3:30pm on weekdays not a drop. The rest of the time is fair game. :supergrin:

jkglock32
05-02-2013, 14:44
life is too short to stay sober all the time.

life is too short to stay messed up all the time.

i dont drink anymore. i am a recovering alcoholic and am very grateful to be sober today. if someone wants to drink that is there prerogative and no one else's business. i have been around people drinking and i choose not too. i will not allow alcohol in my house though, at all. my house my rules. what someone does at there house i cant control but i do have the ability to leave if i feel uncomfortable at any time.

Three-Five-Seven
05-02-2013, 14:45
I don't drink.

There's not enough booze in the World to get me to where I want to go.

Jakestir
05-02-2013, 14:51
Once or twice a month. The amount of time I have to spend in the gym keeps me away from the booze.

boxer01
05-02-2013, 14:59
life is too short to stay messed up all the time.

i dont drink anymore. i am a recovering alcoholic and am very grateful to be sober today. if someone wants to drink that is there prerogative and no one else's business. i have been around people drinking and i choose not too. i will not allow alcohol in my house though, at all. my house my rules. what someone does at there house i cant control but i do have the ability to leave if i feel uncomfortable at any time.

First, I deeply congratulate you on your kicking of alcohol. I've never battled with addiction personally but have had many friends who have. Some are no longer around to tell the horrors, but from the ones who are, it's no joke. Some people can keep a lid on their habits, others can't. You hit the nail on the head as well, you can't be messed up all the time either, it's all about that healthy balance. It's no one's place either to dictate what that balance is. A bible or certain religious beliefs doesn't give someone the right either, it's up to that person or their family/friends, or in SOME cases, their doctor to decide. :wavey:

F350
05-02-2013, 15:03
In my younger drinking days I would periodically declare a dry month, nothing scheduled just twice a year or so go into work, see it was the 1st and decide nothing for the month. I told myself if I ever had trouble making a month I would never touch another drop; never did have trouble going a month, missed it especially when out with a group but never felt I NEEDED a drink.

I do enjoy my high proof bourbon and have bottles of the best made, but usually hold it down to ~2 oz when I do have a drink, every so often I do like to get a little buzz going at home and go up to 4 oz (at 107-143 proof that's plenty).

I have a family history of cardio-vascular problems and every cardiologist I have seen says 1-2 oz of alcohol a day does far more good than harm.

ked
05-02-2013, 15:09
i don't drink. never did. tasted beer and wine but didn't like it. others told me that it was an acquired taste. i figured "why acquire a taste for something i didn't like?"

i am 55.

ked:wavey:

Rich22
05-02-2013, 15:16
Surprising for a 34 year old male, maybe 10 drinks in my life, never been drunk. Cannot stand the taste of anything I have yet found and with the medication that I am currently on adding alcohol to that would make for a more interesting life than I probably want.

jg420
05-02-2013, 15:26
I do not drink and hate alcohol. I hate the way it makes me feel, and everyone in my family drank so I got to see people make fools of themselves while thinking I don't want to look like that. Got drunk when I was 19-20 bad, and had alcohol poisoning for a couple days. It left a nasty taste in my mouth towards alcohol and getting drunk. I also ran my parents liquor stores for years and got to see the otherside of alcohol addiction.

Wetrudgeon
05-02-2013, 16:00
Serious alcoholism in our family, and "science" suggests that the weakness for it is genetic. We therefore gave it up altogether when the kids were born so they would never see Mom and Dad imbibe. Kids grown now, but no interest in taking it up again. Kids don't drink. All good.

We trudge on (sober).

TreverSlyFox
05-02-2013, 16:40
I'm a Baptist and have given up alcohol because it doesn't fit in with my life, it was a choice I made.

rilkil23
05-02-2013, 16:50
I'm 40 years old and haven't drank since I decided to carry a gun under the laws in Colorado. I don't miss drinking and its made me realize how bad I really was at it. Two years ago was my last hang over.

packinaglock
05-02-2013, 16:58
In my younger drinking days I would periodically declare a dry month, nothing scheduled just twice a year or so go into work, see it was the 1st and decide nothing for the month. I told myself if I ever had trouble making a month I would never touch another drop; never did have trouble going a month, missed it especially when out with a group but never felt I NEEDED a drink.

I do enjoy my high proof bourbon and have bottles of the best made, but usually hold it down to ~2 oz when I do have a drink, every so often I do like to get a little buzz going at home and go up to 4 oz (at 107-143 proof that's plenty).

I have a family history of cardio-vascular problems and every cardiologist I have seen says 1-2 oz of alcohol a day does far more good than harm.
True, my Grandfather had 4 brothers, he and all the brothers died right at 80 years (heart). None of them drank but one and he lived to 94.

CAPBUSTER
05-02-2013, 16:59
Don't drink. Nothing to be gained and everything to lose.

jdeere_man
05-02-2013, 17:12
I didn't drink for 3 months once. Then I felt I was really missing out because one of the things I enjoy a lot when I'm around different places is trying local beers or new beers in general. So I'm back to my old ways. I drink less than I use to and usually not with the sole purpose of becoming intoxicated as when I was younger. I enjoy a few pints of beer a few times a month. It just depends how busy I am with stuff how often I indulge.

MStarmer
05-02-2013, 17:12
Very rarely, if at all. For one I'm too cheap, I am very materialistic and want something to show for my $$, second I see first hand what alcohol does to people and their lives. I've sat thru hundreds of AA meetings and am in awe of the stories. Not to mention watching people go thru DT's... :shocked:

G30SF/F-250
05-02-2013, 17:29
One time I drank; my wife left me, the dog died, the preacher came to the house and told me I was going to hell, all the grass in my yard turned brown, my truck blew up, my front porch caught on fire, the weed eater wouldn't crank, I stubbed my toe, and I got a summons for jury duty.

I ain't touched the stuff since.

JAS104
05-02-2013, 17:38
One time I drank; my wife left me, the dog died, the preacher came to the house and told me I was going to hell, all the grass in my yard turned brown, my truck blew up, my front porch caught on fire, the weed eater wouldn't crank, I stubbed my toe, and I got a summons for jury duty.

Lmfao

buster55
05-02-2013, 18:09
Don't drink alcohol same reason I don't shoot heroin it's just a habit I don't need.
If you enjoy drinking have at it ,if not you really dont need a reason you just don't.
Kinda like do the math it explains itself.

1smoothredneck
05-02-2013, 19:17
At all. I'm 1/4 Cherokee, and I just never wanted to roll the dice with it. I will say I've never seen any good come from it, but I HAVE seen very much sorrow come from drinking. Just not for me. And, as one of very few, and sometimes the ONLY sober person at some parties when I was younger, I can honestly say drinking does not improve most people. :whistling:

bimmer2325
05-02-2013, 19:28
I may drink 2 beers a year. It is usually when I am invited to my German boss' house. I think he considers it rude if I don't have a beer.

Manofprint
05-02-2013, 21:26
Dont drink Anymore. I drank enough for my lifetime by 27. 8 years off the drugs and booze

AdobeGlock
05-02-2013, 22:12
I tried drinking in high school and collage and just never liked the taste of any alcohol. Done.

Volksman
05-02-2013, 22:20
I don't drink anymore.

I drink just as much.

Mike Rittenour
05-02-2013, 22:58
I dont drink at all! There is a member of my family who has an extreme weakness to alcohol, and I was never really that into it, So not having it around is just best for her, and I really dont miss it!

Gonzoso
05-02-2013, 22:58
I drank way too much from 18 to 24. Stopped completely 12/09 and didn't drink a sip until 1/12, at a new years party where I flew down in a private plane to a rented beach house with a hot tub and a bunch of really good friends.

I have a beer here and there with dinner now, and sometimes go a long time without drinking, or I might have a little gathering and have some beer and spirits.

Right now I'm not drinking because I'm trying to lose some winter weight and booze makes people fat. Way too many calories, a decent beer is 200+ as is a shot. So a hard night of drinking could double a persons daily caloric intake, not good!

So until I drop 20 pounds I limit myself to one beer if I'm eating something amazing like bear burgers or hot wings.

I won't drink light beer because it's swill, if I need fewer calories I'd rather have water.

goldenlight
05-02-2013, 23:05
I don't drink at all. Alcohol give me a horrible headache.

It's like I get the hangover right away, only worse.

I don't miss it, either.

whoops dude
05-02-2013, 23:13
Naw not anymore. Realized I was literally pissing money and time away.

rfontes
05-02-2013, 23:28
I gave it up. My best friend quit drinking too about the same time I stopped. I just stay busy, & lay off the sauce.

GIockGuy24
05-03-2013, 07:49
I don't drink at all. Alcohol give me a horrible headache.

It's like I get the hangover right away, only worse.

I don't miss it, either.

It's the same for me. I don't drink at all. I studied for 4 years in Belgium, which has 500 types of beer. I tried the beer my first year and one beer would give me a pounding, throbbing headache. During the 4 years I would sometimes try one beer when I was thirsty, thinking my young body might adjust to it. By the 4th year it only took half of a beer to give me an immediate headache. Not a good feeling and not a healthy feeling. In America I drive too much to even think about trying a drink. I don't drink at all.

mrt949
05-03-2013, 08:07
Had open heart surgery in 1988 double bypass I was 38 years old .In 1991 doctor said if you don't change your life style you WON'T SEE your next birthday.So I took his advice . DON'T MISS IT. WILL BE 64 IN SEPTENBER .

jasonvp
05-03-2013, 08:11
Wow, this thread got big rather quickly.

I don't. I've stated several times: I've never even had a sip of an alcoholic beverage. I have no idea what it's like and I never will.

The reasons? Numerous. A few:

I like my wits about me at ALL times. No exceptions. No questions. I relax when I sleep. When I'm awake, I'm ... I dunno how to properly put it... "on". I don't want that dulled.
Alcoholism is hereditary from what the medical field says. My father was one. While I've literally inherited nothing from him, my luck states that his alcoholism is the only thing I would inherit. No thanks.
Attached to that was a warning my father gave me one day, back when I was a young teenager. He said, very clearly, "I don't care how old you are. If I ever find out you've had a drink, I'll f'ing kill you." He knew his weakness, and didn't want to see his boy fall prey to the same sickness. He's been dead for a lot of years, but to this day: I'm still scared of him.
Health reasons: I know Type 1 diabetics that drink and are successful at it. There are a few extra steps a diabetic has to take before drinking. It's not something I want to worry about.
Again with the health reasons: There's more benefit to not ever starting than there is to starting and taking it easy. Yes, I know a lot of the industry seems to think that, "A glass of wine is good for you!!" It's better for your liver, brain, and other body parts if you just don't ever start.
That's why.

jas

Diesel McBadass
05-03-2013, 08:46
Alcohol is evil, but dont worry, GTDS is working tireleassly to reduce the amount of it in the world

okie
05-03-2013, 09:20

I see what you did there my friend, it took me a minute though:rofl:

Ricky Ricardo
05-03-2013, 09:47

Lay down some chords to this post and you have a country song.

antipop
05-03-2013, 10:31
Over the last 6 or 7 years, I have not drank to the point of intoxication. 4 of those years, I didnt have any alcohol at all. If I do have a drink, its usually a glass of mead or a Belgian lambic at home.
I did my stint of moderate-heavy drinking between ages 21-30. I seem to have lost interest in making alcohol a main part of my life. If it wasnt for my discovery of meads and those Belgians (thanks to the bar I bounce at on weekends) I wouldn't indulge at all.

aplcr0331
05-03-2013, 11:00
Never have. I kep the promise that most 8 year old make to themselves when they see adults drinking and smoking/doing drugs. We all say "I'll never do that". Well, I kept that promise.

It's rather difficult being the only sober person in a family full of drinkers (my in-laws). But, they have gotten used to me.

Got some strange looks when I was in the Marine Corps. Once I turned 21, I think I had about a 2 year span where I never paid to put gas in my car. Being the DD does have some advangtages. Although I've been accused of cock-blocking more times than I can count. If I had a cell phone with a decent camera I could have had photographic proof that I actually saved my buddies lives more than once. Plus, most guys ARE NOT better fighters when drunk. They think they are, until they wake up the next morning.

To Kevin and Jason; I'm sorry I was not there when you two picked up the 7-Eleven clerk and had a three way with her (until her biker husband came home). Thankfully for you two the clap is cureable.

Now, I don't drink and it's actually a point of pride. In my circles I'm the only one who does not drink.

crand16rams
05-03-2013, 16:30
I don't at all, though I did drink some in my younger days. I had a daughter, who when she was 8 or so, was involved in her school's DARE program, and she cried when I ordered a drink at a restaurant. I promised her then that if she would not drink or do drugs, I wouldn't drink anymore, either. That was 13 years ago...

As far as I know, she's kept her end of the deal, too.

thetoastmaster
05-03-2013, 17:45
I don't drink, at all, and haven't since about 1995. I'll cook with beer occasionally but I don't drink at all.

selogic
05-03-2013, 17:52
A couple of beers a year . I'm not judgemental about drinking except for drunk drivers . First time DWI should be a mandatory 3 days in jail and get drastically more harsh for each repeat offense . :steamed:

jakebrake
05-03-2013, 17:59
which is why alcohol leads to more fun!:cool:

yup...all fun and games. starts with a few drinks, ends with you in a hotel room dressed in a big pink bunny costume and a dead hooker in the bathtub....

i mean....

nevermind.

tryn2hrd
05-03-2013, 19:14
I don't drink anymore.I did from 18 to age 52 just decided it wasnt going to rule my life anymore.My problem was i couldn't just drink one or two beers,one beer and it was on.I would drink till i couldn't. Woke up one mourning and said that's it,no more.That was 8 years ago.

fg17
05-03-2013, 19:44
I don't drink from sat to thurs, but Friday if Im not working
I may have a few and maybe a cigar or cig. Kinda of counterproductive because the rest of the week I lift weights, run and practice martial arts.:embarassed: Also still sometimes work the bar and spent many years bouncing so I'm carefull when drinking in public. There are a lot of people I have had to remove from the bars through the years and a lot of them would like a little pay back so I never drink so much that I become an easy target.

JAS104
05-03-2013, 20:01
yup...all fun and games. starts with a few drinks, ends with you in a hotel room dressed in a big pink bunny costume and a dead hooker in the bathtub....

i mean....

nevermind.

http://youtu.be/uIBU-DaJJOk

Lol