iPad Mini popularity burying regular iPad, claim suppliers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini popularity burying regular iPad, claim suppliers

TBO
05-01-2013, 02:44
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57582253-37/ipad-mini-popularity-burying-regular-ipad-claim-suppliers/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Resqu2
05-01-2013, 03:28
Not sure why it is either, the Mini feels cheap compared to my IPad 3. I must be in the minority with my opinion though.

spork
05-01-2013, 04:10
The regular iPad is exactly the right size for me, but I understand why some people want a compact version.

jtmac
05-01-2013, 05:48
If I had to choose only one, I would probably want the larger version. But the iPad Mini is cheaper and certain to attract a wider market.

And one shouldn't overlook the fact that most people in the market for full-size iPads already have one. The last update it had was negligible and the iPad Mini is attracting an entirely new market. Things will normalize, although I'd expect the iPad Mini to continue to be more popular.

ronin.45
05-01-2013, 05:50
If I had to choose only one, I would probably want the larger version. But the iPad Mini is cheaper and certain to attract a wider market.

And one shouldn't overlook the fact that most people in the market for full-size iPads already have one. The last update it had was negligible and the iPad Mini is attracting an entirely new market. Things will normalize, although I'd expect the iPad Mini to continue to be more popular.

Agreed.

ClydeG19
05-01-2013, 09:03
Personally, I like the mini better. I sold my Ipad 2 to buy the mini on which I'm typing this message. Personal preference...spend your money the way you want.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Glock!9
05-01-2013, 09:11
I have an IPAD 2, 3 and mini...I prefer the mini every time.

Cybercowboy
05-01-2013, 09:13
When I gave my mother my wife's iPad 2 (which was originally mine until I got an iPad 3), I gave her the choice of the regular iPad or the Mini. She was pretty sure she wanted the regular size one until we got to the AT&T store and she immediately took to the Mini. She likes it better than her old full-size iPad. Me? I like the big one.

ND40oz
05-01-2013, 09:36
Not sure why it is either, the Mini feels cheap compared to my IPad 3. I must be in the minority with my opinion though.

I don't get it either, I took the iPad mini back to the Apple store, the screen resolution kills it. It's definitely more portable, but until the Mini 2 is released with the same res as the iPad 3/4, I don't see the point.

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 09:47
I've got a 2 yr old iPad2. Still running strong. When I upgrade, I'll likely go to the Mini. The screen reduction just isn't that significant.

That'll be a year or two from now, so I'm not rushing to make a decision.

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 11:04
Mini all day long.

full size ipad too big, too heavy. Extra screen real estate not of value unless task specific need.

Mini better reader
one hand operation
thumb type in portrait
Disappears in a bag

In my mind it should be the default size with folks who need more display going full size.

BTW, I own one but I still don't get why people are crazy for their ipad. Very limited uses IMO.

ChiefWPD
05-01-2013, 11:10
Seems like a very personal choice. I have an iPad 2, my nephew a mini. I prefer mine, he really likes his. Great!

One thing to consider. When I'm due for a new computer it'll probably be an Apple product.

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 11:28

That's because it is cheap in comparison. It is exactly the iPad 2, but smaller, and the iPad 3 has an excellent display and significantly more power.

IIRC, Steve Jobs was very much against a small tablet and the Ipad Mini is a reaction to the success of the Nexus 7 and others. I would argue that a 7" tablet is too small and a 10" tablet is too large to be truly portable. The 8" form factor seems to be perfect.

Reyn
05-01-2013, 12:36
I have a couple of each in my household. I prefer the standard one by far.

boomhower
05-02-2013, 11:26
I prefer the larger one. I use mine mostly for video and I like the bigger screen for that. That said, I like the looks of the smaller one. I gave my iPad 2 to my daughter and skipped the 3 and 4. I'm 99% going to pick up the 5 with is rumored to have the design aesthetics of the mini. The mini does need a higher res screen though.

Glocksanity
05-02-2013, 12:10
I find iPads annoyingly useless for my needs. Big, small? You could give me one and I wouldn't use it.

CAcop
05-02-2013, 12:57
I can see the high sales because it is the new thing on the block.

I also understand why some people are willing to buy it over the full size. The full size iPad seems a bit big to lug around. I can see it if you use it for work and you need something relatively portable but still need a bigger screen. The mini seems better if you are using it for fun so to speak. iPhones are pretty small in screen size if you ask me. The mini you could throw into a purse or other bag a whole lot easier.

I think Apple is wise to add that size to their line up.

BobbyS
05-02-2013, 13:34
Looks as if most prefer the mini pad when a maxi pad won't do. Most like the mini pad for comfort.

bush pilot
05-02-2013, 16:02
Have one of each, prefer the mini. No particular reason why, maybe size.

Taphius
05-02-2013, 23:58
Cheaper, easier to hold. I can see why its getting more popular.

Can't wait until there are some higher resolution 7-8inch android tablets. The screen on my transformer infinity is quite nice.

moeman
05-03-2013, 05:50
I don't view my IPAD as a replacement for my laptop... Too weak. So the smaller one makes sense if one has a laptop, travels or simply doesn't want to schlep around a bigger device. I have an IPAD 3...

Btw: I bought a family member the smaller Samsung tablet for Christmas and set it up and played w/ it. IMO the Samsung is just better in many areas especially allowing one to use a micro-sd card.

GreenDrake
05-03-2013, 05:54
I like em both, our iPad 2 is just fine for everything, but we have it in a big bridle leather Saddleback case, just have to clean it daily because my son plays Minecraft way too much with it and fingerprints are everywhere all the time, dirty little bugger. Mini is great for transportability and quick use but I find myself wanting to leave connectivity behind more and more sometimes. Particularly when I see kids in public with their faces in their phones and games. Parents at soccer games Facebooking, I think we are losing touch with life and not living in the present sometimes.

Glock!9
05-03-2013, 13:55
It looks as though the 7-8 inch tablets will take over the market.

OctoberRust
05-03-2013, 14:10
love the mini. bought one a few months ago and been happy with it since. It makes a great device for when you're laying in bed wanting easier access to your emails, web, and youtube without dealing with such a small screen like a phone.

sputnik767
05-03-2013, 14:23
I don't view my IPAD as a replacement for my laptop... Too weak. So the smaller one makes sense if one has a laptop, travels or simply doesn't want to schlep around a bigger device. I have an IPAD 3...

Btw: I bought a family member the smaller Samsung tablet for Christmas and set it up and played w/ it. IMO the Samsung is just better in many areas especially allowing one to use a micro-sd card.

I have actually replaced my MacBook Pro with the Galaxy Note 8 for all functions that don't require extensive use of the keyboard. Web browsing on it is just as fast, videos play just as well, PDFs and PowerPoints works just as well and load just as fast, etc. Heck, with a bluetooth keyboard, it would probably take over even more functions, I just don't have one. It is certainly not a full-fledged laptop replacement, but the quad-core with 2GB RAM works very well for most of what i use a laptop for. I can even download files off the internet, use USB flash drives and hard drives with a little $2 adapter, access my home FTP and DLNA servers, and shared drives on my network computers with full read and write access, stream video over HDMI, all with no modifications or root required. I used the Wacom stylus (S-Pen) for taking handwritten notes, works surprisingly well. An i-device can't do half of those things.

Taphius
05-03-2013, 15:46
I have actually replaced my MacBook Pro with the Galaxy Note 8 for all functions that don't require extensive use of the keyboard. Web browsing on it is just as fast, videos play just as well, PDFs and PowerPoints works just as well and load just as fast, etc. Heck, with a bluetooth keyboard, it would probably take over even more functions, I just don't have one. It is certainly not a full-fledged laptop replacement, but the quad-core with 2GB RAM works very well for most of what i use a laptop for. I can even download files off the internet, use USB flash drives and hard drives with a little $2 adapter, access my home FTP and DLNA servers, and shared drives on my network computers with full read and write access, stream video over HDMI, all with no modifications or root required. I used the Wacom stylus (S-Pen) for taking handwritten notes, works surprisingly well. An i-device can't do half of those things.

I cant wait for floating apps to become better. Real multi windows is going to be very nice with the note product line

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sputnik767
05-04-2013, 09:08
I cant wait for floating apps to become better. Real multi windows is going to be very nice with the note product line

The note and the S3 (at least on Sprint) already can do "multiwindow" which is 2 apps side by side. Works very well on a tablet.

Joshhtn
05-04-2013, 09:19
Bought my Wife the iPad 4 and got myself the Mini... Couldn't be happier with my choice. I like the full size, but I'm on my mini all day long for work, and its just the right weight and size.

Taphius
05-04-2013, 10:37
The note and the S3 (at least on Sprint) already can do "multiwindow" which is 2 apps side by side. Works very well on a tablet.

I know I have both :p. It has its limitations though.

ViennaGambit
05-04-2013, 10:46
I don't get it either, I took the iPad mini back to the Apple store, the screen resolution kills it. It's definitely more portable, but until the Mini 2 is released with the same res as the iPad 3/4, I don't see the point.

This.

My wife has an Ipad 4 - I was going to get the Mini, but after being spoiled by the retina display on the 4, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't get past the pixels. I actually returned a Nexus 7 for the same reason.

I will 100% be getting the next gen Mini or Nexus though as I'm certain the res will be better.

On the size, I love holding the devices with one hand - the Ipad 4 is just too annoying for this - the Mini and Nexus 7 were perfection.

ClydeG19
05-04-2013, 12:07
I've never been a big audio/videophile. Sure the retina display looks great, but I don't value that enough to pay the premium for it. My m-i-l's husband is a huge Apple fan and has to have everything they come out with. To each his own, but the Ipad 2/Mini resolution works well for me. Generally, I use it for email/web/movies and a few apps. It doesn't replace a computer though.

ViennaGambit
05-04-2013, 12:24
I've never been a big audio/videophile. Sure the retina display looks great, but I don't value that enough to pay the premium for it. My m-i-l's husband is a huge Apple fan and has to have everything they come out with. To each his own, but the Ipad 2/Mini resolution works well for me. Generally, I use it for email/web/movies and a few apps. It doesn't replace a computer though.

You know, the Mini would have been fine if I never got used to the retina display first on my wife's Ipad 4... I used it for a few months before picking up the Mini. The difference really was noticeable to me as I do 75% of my usage as reading and the pixels really stand out in that type of usage.

G19Tony
05-04-2013, 12:44
I have both. I use the Ipad mini in the Cherokee. I have all the aviation charts on it, along with the manuals for the airplane and all the other stuff. It's the perfect size. I use the big Ipad when I'm on the road at work. I just need internet access in the hotel and the big Ipad is perfect for that. I tried the mini on the road and found it too small for my liking when I'm surfing.

jpa
05-04-2013, 14:16
I love my full-size Galaxy tab 10.1. If it had a phone built in it would be the cat's meow.

I also like my Galaxy Note II. It's almost a mini-tablet size but not quite.