Is it time to ditch the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S4? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to ditch the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S4?

TBO
05-01-2013, 02:47
http://www.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57582225-94/is-it-time-to-ditch-the-iphone-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s4/

Article also touches on rumors of low cost iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Resqu2
05-01-2013, 03:25
Nope, it's not time :wavey:

brisk21
05-01-2013, 07:57
It was time to dich the iphone for the galaxy S3, so yeah.

woodasptim
05-01-2013, 08:19
I've been using my iPhone 4 since shortly after they were released, but my S4 is on the UPS truck to be delivered today...

GreenDrake
05-01-2013, 08:28
Not a fan of the phablet trend. I love my 4S in my Rokform case, does everything I need.

PVolk
05-01-2013, 08:40
It was time to dich the iphone for the galaxy S3, so yeah.
Got that right.

syntaxerrorsix
05-01-2013, 09:35
Not a fan of the phablet trend. I love my 4S in my Rokform case, does everything I need.

Me either. I've been seriously considering regression.

If I could have a small phone with a decent keyboard that could call and text and nothing else I'd probably do it. Ala old school Blackberry but with a screen about half it's size and frameless, no wasted space.

Big phones just suck IMO.

PVolk
05-01-2013, 09:41
Me either. I've been seriously considering regression.

If I could have a small phone with a decent keyboard that could call and text and nothing else I'd probably do it. Ala old school Blackberry but with a screen about half it's size and frameless, no wasted space.

Consider an old Blackberry 9700. They're pretty small overall and excellent to type on. You could scoop one up used and unlock it to avoid requiring a data plan.

syntaxerrorsix
05-01-2013, 09:47
Consider an old Blackberry 9700. They're pretty small overall and excellent to type on. You could scoop one up used and unlock it to avoid requiring a data plan.

I'm issued the 9700. The company is in the process of switching to iPhone.

It's still bigger than I'd like but they are real nice to type on. My personal phone is a Droid M. I'm still not a fan of touch screen typing. The text prediction and auto correct try really hard to account for how imprecise it is but I'm over it.

racerford
05-01-2013, 09:52
It depends on how invested you are in the iOS environment. My family is, so it would take something that is light years ahead of what we have to jump to Android. And since we are quit happy with what the Apple products do, and how they perform; I see no reason to jump at all.

roger123
05-01-2013, 09:54
Not yet, I have too much invested in "ioS stuff". My wife switched though, she now has a Note 2, HUGE!

woodasptim
05-01-2013, 09:56

If that's all that you need then more power to you. Personally I use my phone for calling, texting, emailing, and facebooking with clients, placing orders, posting my timebilling, downloading and viewing repair and installation manuals, tracking orders, and maintaining my calendar so that I don't forget meetings. My iPhone has worked pretty well for all of that, but I'm definitely ready for a bigger screen and a faster processor.

somebodybuymeaglock
05-01-2013, 09:58
Nope.

Its time to drop iphone for the Note 2!!!

Sent from my humongous phablet Note 2

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 11:23
At this point, the only thing keeping the iPhone afloat is the ecosystem and the user base they've developed over the past 6 or 7 years. That is not to say that the iphone is not an excellent device, just that until about a year or so ago it was the only truly excellent device. Problem is, the iphone stopped evolving at the introduction of the iphone 4, and the only thing the iphone 5 brought to the table is a slightly larger screen. You can make that case for the Galaxy S4 as well, but I would argue that it brought a whole new set of features that is not found on the S3 and certainly not on the iPhone 5, and they significantly upgraded the screen and the CPU. The iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 kept the same screen resolution (AFIK) but made the screen bigger, so I would argue that it's actually a step down.

Now, the Galaxy S4 has been catching some flak over the plastic body when compared to the competition. Whether that is a valid criticism or not depends on the user. If you're like me and keep the phone in a case, it's irrelevant. Problem is, those writers that criticize the S4 are recommending the HTC One and not the iPhone 5. Coupled with the fact that Apple isn't expected to release a new phone until the fall and the fact that it's expected to be an incremental upgrade, things are not looking too good for Apple IMO.

JAS104
05-01-2013, 11:41
Nope. I like my iPhone. If I wanted a tiny tablet I'd buy one tho. Just a good size for me. Realtree case too. . Lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

racerford
05-01-2013, 12:03
.....The iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 kept the same screen resolution (AFIK) but made the screen bigger, so I would argue that it's actually a step down.

The iPhone 5 has the same DPI on the screen as a 4S, but has different aspect ratio. So not a step down. It give you one more row of icons, and a larger video picture in landscape mode. It is a nice change from the 4S.

Of course the processor is faster, among other changes.

certifiedfunds
05-01-2013, 12:03
Not necessarily but it IS time for Apple to get off its ass and improve iOS.

I truly thought Jobs would leave the company in better shape than it is with regard to pipeline. Surely key personnel changes affect that but they need to get moving again.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2013, 12:04
It depends on how invested you are in the iOS environment. My family is, so it would take something that is light years ahead of what we have to jump to Android. And since we are quit happy with what the Apple products do, and how they perform; I see no reason to jump at all.

I've not had a ton of experience with iOS. I will say, I am loving my new Android phone.

Up to this point I couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 12:28
The iPhone 5 has the same DPI on the screen as a 4S, but has different aspect ratio. So not a step down. It give you one more row of icons, and a larger video picture in landscape mode. It is a nice change from the 4S.

Of course the processor is faster, among other changes.

It's true, the CPU is faster than the 4S and marginally faster than the S3. This is to be expected as the iPhone 5 came out about 4-5 months after the S3. However, the benchmarks I've seen from the US version of the S4 are about double the performance of the iPhone 5 and the international version with the "octa-core" do a bit better than that. I'm curious to see what the iPhone 5S will bring as far as internals go.

GreenDrake
05-01-2013, 12:31
Here's a good explanation of the differences in iPhones http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

It always comes down to a ford/chevy debate between iOS and Android and honestly, the majority of the world uses it for a phone, text and social media device. If it works for you, cool. To me, Apple is just more reliable and integrated across the entire platform with no need to mess with additional apps to seamlessly coordinate between the ipad, ipod, iphone appletv and mac through the icloud. I just dig the downright simplicity of it's usage.

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 12:41
Not necessarily but it IS time for Apple to get off its ass and improve iOS.

I truly thought Jobs would leave the company in better shape than it is with regard to pipeline. Surely key personnel changes affect that but they need to get moving again.

Steve Jobs was great at creating new product categories and producing products that people didn't even know they needed. However he and his company seem to have misjudged the competition in regards to innovation. Apple and iOS are very rigid which explains why iOS is virtually unchanged since it's inception, with the exception of bringing a few features over from Android.

I'll give you an example: I was comparing Google Maps on my S3 and my friend's iPhone 4S yesterday. My friend needed to turn off wifi so he had to exit the Maps app, find the setting app, find the wifi selection, turn it off, go back to the home screen, and back to maps. I just had to pull down the notification bar, toggle the wifi button, and hide the notification panel. I can also delete emails right from the notification panes, respond to missed calls, change screen brightness, etc. And my new Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet can even have 2 apps running at the same on the same screen, which is great if you are doing something in one app and taking notes at the same time in the other one for example. My galaxy S3 can do it too, but it's not very useful on a small display.

It's Apple's rigid structure that has been stifling innovation in my opinion. People used to say that Android copies iOS, but now, iOS needs to be more like Android. My friend is due for an upgrade and he is not yet sure if he will go with the S4 or the HTC One, but he is pretty sure his next phone isn't going to be made by Apple. That's the problem Apple is currently facing.

hamster
05-01-2013, 13:56
I've never NEEDED to turn off wifi, except on an airplane. But that is besides the point.

All that stuff is well and good for techie folks like myself. I love messing with stuff like that to no end. While I had my Google Nexus phone I had elaborate automation scripts set up to do all sorts of cool stuff. However, in reality, the average phone user is unable or uninterested to do that kind of stuff.

For my mother, for example, to even look up movie times on a phone is a miracle. The simple, consistent, well supported interface on the iPhone has made that possible.

For me, I'll probably go back to Android at some point because I love to tinker. Same reason I have an ubuntu server in my basement.

Steve Jobs was great at creating new product categories and producing products that people didn't even know they needed. However he and his company seem to have misjudged the competition in regards to innovation. Apple and iOS are very rigid which explains why iOS is virtually unchanged since it's inception, with the exception of bringing a few features over from Android.

I'll give you an example: I was comparing Google Maps on my S3 and my friend's iPhone 4S yesterday. My friend needed to turn off wifi so he had to exit the Maps app, find the setting app, find the wifi selection, turn it off, go back to the home screen, and back to maps. I just had to pull down the notification bar, toggle the wifi button, and hide the notification panel. I can also delete emails right from the notification panes, respond to missed calls, change screen brightness, etc. And my new Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet can even have 2 apps running at the same on the same screen, which is great if you are doing something in one app and taking notes at the same time in the other one for example. My galaxy S3 can do it too, but it's not very useful on a small display.

It's Apple's rigid structure that has been stifling innovation in my opinion. People used to say that Android copies iOS, but now, iOS needs to be more like Android. My friend is due for an upgrade and he is not yet sure if he will go with the S4 or the HTC One, but he is pretty sure his next phone isn't going to be made by Apple. That's the problem Apple is currently facing.

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 14:18
I've never NEEDED to turn off wifi, except on an airplane. But that is besides the point.

Fair enough. Although I do turn off wifi when I'm not in an area where wifi is available. Most times, public wifi is actually worse than LTE, so I would prefer wifi off anyway.

But what about bluetooth, GPS, Airplane Mode, Data Sync, screen brightness, flashlight toggle, screen rotation, etc? All of those things are available as scrollable widget buttons in the notification drawer. Granted I don't use most of them on a regular basis except for wifi and flashlight, but it's nice to not have to hunt through settings to do it.

I also never quite understood the whole argument about the simplicity and consistency of the iOS interface. What exactly is simple and consistent about it, and how is it different from Android? The major difference is the hardware buttons (although the Home button is virtually the same) vs the software buttons within each app, but that's a minor difference. For example, the back button on Android is on the bottom of the device, whereas the back button in iOS is generally at the top of the app itself. Likewise for the menu button. For someone like your mother, I would think that having a customizable homescreen where her most-used apps are front and center while the rest are hidden away, is much better than the relative disorganization of the iOS desktop.

As far as the customization and scripts that you talked about, you don't need any of that to have a functional device. While I used to be into tinkering and flashing all sorts of things, now I just want a device that works right out of the box, yet is customizable like I want it. That's why I have the S3. Currently running a fully stock rooted system with nothing special done to it except for an ad blocker. Even left all of the so-called Samsung and Sprint bloat, as it's not really getting in the way at all.

Let's face it, the simplicity argument really boils down to a few hours learning curve when jumping from one platform to the other. While for someone like your mother, who is clearly used to one system, I would never suggest changing, generally speaking the simplicity argument for iOS falls flat on it's face.

mixflip
05-01-2013, 14:43
I have large fingers so I have always disliked the size of the iphone or any iphone sized smart phone for that matter that requires touching the screen.

I would buy an iphone if they would just make the dang thing bigger. Yes iphones are great for females who want to slip their sexy little iphone into their back pocket but for us folks with masculine hands, we need a bigger phone. Just make 2 sizes to choose from. It cant be that hard.

My contract is up in December. If iphone comes out with a bigger one by then I will make the switch from my droid bionic. If not I will make the switch to the Samsung.

sputnik767
05-01-2013, 14:45
I have large fingers so I have always disliked the size of the iphone or any iphone sized smart phone for that matter that requires touching the screen.

I would buy an iphone if they would just make the dang thing bigger. Yes iphones are great for females who want to slip their sexy little iphone into their back pocket but us folks with masculine hands need a bigger phone. Just make 2 sizes to choose from. It cant be that hard.

Supposedly a larger iPhone is coming in 2014.

Kevin108
05-01-2013, 15:23
Battery life is the biggest factor to me. Whomever holds the crown there is where I'll be.

But it was a big, actually-usable screen that won me over to smartphones in the first place. Until then, I was riding the wake of netbook craze. When the Droid X came out with a 4.3" screen, suddenly it was big enough for carpenter-sized fingers, so I went for it. It was great. I wasn't going to root it but Verizon saw fit to include City ID, which began to spam me to buy a subscription to the full version after a couple of weeks. That was it. I wasn't going to have something advertise to me that was installed without my consent, which I couldn't remove, on a device I'd paid for. I rooted, and that was the first thing I rid myself of. Since then, I've tried virtually every ROM, every mod, etc. I have RSD Lite and sbf_flash both ready to resurrect my DX at a moment's notice.

Then I dropped it. About 2 years in, I face planted it on to my ceramic tile in my kitchen. The Otterbox, which had saved it many times previously, was only partially successful this time. What began has a dozen dead pixels on the right-hand side spread into full dead lines of pixels about 3/4 of the way down the screen.

So I hit Craigslist. After a minor degree of research, I made the jump to a used Razr Maxx and I'm equally happy with it. 4G is great. Battery life is similar to my DX with the extended battery. Flashing ROMs is far safer with a modern device and modern methods.

I'm a Linux fan anyway. Most likely I'll stick with Android indefinitely. But I wouldn't pass up a jailbroken iPhone if the price was right.

Be prepared to make your mobile home in whatever device best suits you. For me, it's a big screen and a good battery. What do you look for in a mobile device?

mrmedina
05-01-2013, 15:25
Here's a good explanation of the differences in iPhones http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

It always comes down to a ford/chevy debate between iOS and Android and honestly, the majority of the world uses it for a phone, text and social media device. If it works for you, cool. To me, Apple is just more reliable and integrated across the entire platform with no need to mess with additional apps to seamlessly coordinate between the ipad, ipod, iphone appletv and mac through the icloud. I just dig the downright simplicity of it's usage.

I got your back on this!:thumbsup:

hamster
05-01-2013, 15:45
One thing I have to say I've loved about being in Apple land is how problems are handled. I was on a business trip in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. My phone had an issue with the power button, so I went on the Apple store app, made an appointment at the downtown philly apple store, then around 7:00pm waltzed over there. At 7:10pm I walked out with a new phone in hand.

I do appreciate that level of customer service.

Back to the topic of why I think the IOS is easier? I have to say Jelly Bean has gone a long way towards making Android easier. The best part about it is that there seems to be less skinning going on. I think the biggest problem in the Android universe is that among current phones (phones in the active two year contract period) there are 6000 different flavors of Android. Different versions, different skins etc. That leads to confusion. Like it or not, the simple Apple ecosystem makes life easier for non-techies. Or techies like me who just don't feel the need to fiddle with their phones 24/7.

Then again, I use a mac, have an apple TV and have an iPhone and an iPad.

Taphius
05-01-2013, 23:30
Not yet, I have too much invested in "ioS stuff". My wife switched though, she now has a Note 2, HUGE!

that IS what she said!

G23Gen4TX
05-01-2013, 23:56
I've been hearing about this iPhone killer for the past 5 years.

In reality, most people who buy android phones usually do it because they can't afford an iPhone. The android is giving them "the same thing" for less money. They are in two different classes of the smartphone market.

Plus, it is really that I hear anyone saying they are dumping the iPhone for an android.

Taphius
05-02-2013, 00:07

In reality, most people who buy android phones usually do it because they can't afford an iPhone. The android is giving them "the same thing" for less money. They are in two different classes of the smartphone market.

Plus, it is really that I hear anyone saying they are dumping the iPhone for an android.

On and off contract price is the same for flagship devices, that line is more bull**** from people wishing to feel like they are higher class than others.

G23Gen4TX
05-02-2013, 00:34
On and off contract price is the same for flagship devices, that line is more bull**** from people wishing to feel like they are higher class than others.

So, you have an android?

That's just how the market is. Personally, I don't like the galaxy because of the size. I want my phone small and comfortable. I don't want to walk around with a flat screen TV in my pants.

But on the other hand, I like to configure my phone to fit my needs so my iPhone is jail broken and has a lot of modifications to the user interface etc.

Taphius
05-02-2013, 00:36
So, you have an android?

That's just how the market is. Personally, I don't like the galaxy because of the size. I want my phone small and comfortable. I don't want to walk around with a flat screen TV in my pants.

But on the other hand, I like to configure my phone to fit my needs so my iPhone is jail broken and has a lot of modifications to the user interface etc.

I have all iphones up until the 5 and three android phones.

What difference does that make in price? Iphones and androids are similarly priced when you compare flagship to flagship. People do not buy them just because they are 'too poor' to afford an apple product.

ShallNotBeInfringed
05-02-2013, 01:29
I dropped iPhone and went with the largest android, a Verizon Intuition by LG. Still fits in my shirt pocket. Holds 7 ID or credit cards, cash, receipts, and a 5" screen smartphone. Love it.

Feel like a bank manager using this phone!

Case is by Mercury on Amazon.

My wife and I love you tube, and when it comes to images, and especially video, bigger is better.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61rc2fCTPcL.jpg

http://www.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/verizon-lg-intuition-review-15.jpg

686Owner
05-02-2013, 05:05
At this point, the only thing keeping the iPhone afloat is the ecosystem and the user base they've developed over the past 6 or 7 years. That is not to say that the iphone is not an excellent device, just that until about a year or so ago it was the only truly excellent device. Problem is, the iphone stopped evolving at the introduction of the iphone 4, and the only thing the iphone 5 brought to the table is a slightly larger screen. You can make that case for the Galaxy S4 as well, but I would argue that it brought a whole new set of features that is not found on the S3 and certainly not on the iPhone 5, and they significantly upgraded the screen and the CPU. The iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 kept the same screen resolution (AFIK) but made the screen bigger, so I would argue that it's actually a step down.

The iPhone 5 is not the same resolution as the iPhone 4. Same density but it's longer.

SevenSixtyTwo
05-02-2013, 07:57
I'm using my iPhone now. I see no reason to change. Not even a hint of a problem yet. Yes it's trendy. Trendy people are fickle and will flock to the latest trend, the Samsung S4. When my iPhone poops out, I'll again look at all the offerings and decide based on what "I like". Not on what "she has".

.264 magnum
05-02-2013, 08:28

Now, the Galaxy S4 has been catching some flak over the plastic body when compared to the competition. Whether that is a valid criticism or not depends on the user. If you're like me and keep the phone in a case, it's irrelevant. Problem is, those writers that criticize the S4 are recommending the HTC One and not the iPhone 5. Coupled with the fact that Apple isn't expected to release a new phone until the fall and the fact that it's expected to be an incremental upgrade, things are not looking too good for Apple IMO.

I strongly disagree with your opening thesis. There are all kinds of reasons that one might decide to buy an iPhone over the S3/S4 that have nothing/little to do with the Apple Ecosystem per se.

1. iPhones are much tougher than S phones and especially the S4.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/01/galaxy-vs-iphone-is-samsung-just-too-fragile.aspx

2. iPhone 5 voice quality is better than the S4. It's not close - Apple's little soft noise canceling trick works like a champ.

3. Apps/bloatware/security, Apple still has a very significant lead regarding good/useful apps. Apple phones ship almost bloatware free that's not the case for many S phones - recall the thread about 16 gig Samsung phones shipping 1/2 full of bloat. IOS/iPhone is much more secure.

4. Apple support while not perfect is generally spectacular and widely available in a physical sense.

5. IOS is updated regularly.

6. It's a holdover from a longstanding Mac tradition - iPhone's analog audio output slays the same on S phones. Although to be fair I've only listened to S4 analog out for a few minutes.

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 11:54

You couldn't be more wrong. Flagship Android phones cost the same as the latest iPhone on contract, and either the same or within about $50 off contract. Hardly enough of a difference to claim "the same thing for less money." My friend just bought the new Galaxy S4, coming from an iPhone 4S. His reasoning was that the S4 is better than the iPhone 5. You think he bought it because he saved money? It costs the exact same on contract. Get off your high horse, your reasoning hasn't been valid for probably a year now.

harlenm
05-02-2013, 12:01
Dumped the S3 for an HTC One. Thinking I like the change so far.

1920*1080 on a 4.7

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 12:04
I strongly disagree with your opening thesis. There are all kinds of reasons that one might decide to buy an iPhone over the S3/S4 that have nothing/little to do with the Apple Ecosystem per se.

1. iPhones are much tougher than S phones and especially the S4.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/01/galaxy-vs-iphone-is-samsung-just-too-fragile.aspx

2. iPhone 5 voice quality is better than the S4. It's not close - Apple's little soft noise canceling trick works like a champ.

3. Apps/bloatware/security, Apple still has a very significant lead regarding good/useful apps. Apple phones ship almost bloatware free that's not the case for many S phones - recall the thread about 16 gig Samsung phones shipping 1/2 full of bloat. IOS/iPhone is much more secure.

4. Apple support while not perfect is generally spectacular and widely available in a physical sense.

5. IOS is updated regularly.

6. It's a holdover from a longstanding Mac tradition - iPhone's analog audio output slays the same on S phones. Although to be fair I've only listened to S4 analog out for a few minutes.

I didn't say there were no other reasons to buy an iPhone over an Android phone, just that the ecosystem is the main reason. All other reasons, while certainly valid, are insignificant to many people.

I've seen iPhones and Android phones with cracked screens. The toughness argument is beyond silly. You drop the phone on it's screen from a high enough distance onto pavement, it's going to dent/break/crack/etc. That's why many iPhones I see are hiding inside those giant OtterBox cases, and the same goes for Android phones. The overwhelming majority of people keep their $600 devices in some sort of a case, and the toughness argument is one that people use when they have nothing else to try. And what about the HTC One, with it's aluminum chassis?

I can't speak about voice quality, but the dual microphones in the S3 seem to work well. I have never had any issues with voice quality on any of my Android phones, but I did have a hard time hearing my GF when she had her previous iPhone 4.

Apps/bloatware - that must be why people are ditching Apple apps for Google apps. Besides, rather than paying $100 for an extra 16 GB of storage, I'd rather spend $60 on a 64 GB class 10 SD card. What you may consider "bloat" I may not. I use many of the features on my S3 that you would consider bloat just because your iPhone doesn't have it. If I wanted a "bloat-free" phone, I would buy a Nexus. Some of the reports I've read, Apple is more hackable but Android gets more attacks. That has to do with less oversight over the app store and the ability to install apps outside the app store out of the box. To me, that is a good thing. I paid for my device and I should retain the right to install whatever I want on it, without having to root/jailbreak. If I install a virus, it is my fault and no one else.

Can't argue against Apple support

My Sprint Galaxy S3 has been updated very regularly. Latest update was pushed last week

airmotive
05-02-2013, 12:36
....still waiting for my company to allow an upgrade to Blackberry 10....

I use wife's old iPhone 4s as an iPod. Meh...hate typing on it. Bigger doesn't help. I also hate typing on her mini iPad.
Love me some physical keyboard.

jhall
05-02-2013, 13:38
Fair enough. Although I do turn off wifi when I'm not in an area where wifi is available. Most times, public wifi is actually worse than LTE, so I would prefer wifi off anyway.

But what about bluetooth, GPS, Airplane Mode, Data Sync, screen brightness, flashlight toggle, screen rotation, etc? All of those things are available as scrollable widget buttons in the notification drawer. Granted I don't use most of them on a regular basis except for wifi and flashlight, but it's nice to not have to hunt through settings to do it.

I also never quite understood the whole argument about the simplicity and consistency of the iOS interface. What exactly is simple and consistent about it, and how is it different from Android? The major difference is the hardware buttons (although the Home button is virtually the same) vs the software buttons within each app, but that's a minor difference. For example, the back button on Android is on the bottom of the device, whereas the back button in iOS is generally at the top of the app itself. Likewise for the menu button. For someone like your mother, I would think that having a customizable homescreen where her most-used apps are front and center while the rest are hidden away, is much better than the relative disorganization of the iOS desktop.

As far as the customization and scripts that you talked about, you don't need any of that to have a functional device. While I used to be into tinkering and flashing all sorts of things, now I just want a device that works right out of the box, yet is customizable like I want it. That's why I have the S3. Currently running a fully stock rooted system with nothing special done to it except for an ad blocker. Even left all of the so-called Samsung and Sprint bloat, as it's not really getting in the way at all.

Let's face it, the simplicity argument really boils down to a few hours learning curve when jumping from one platform to the other. While for someone like your mother, who is clearly used to one system, I would never suggest changing, generally speaking the simplicity argument for iOS falls flat on it's face.

It would be nice to be able to do it out of the box. With jailbreaking you can pretty much do anything you want, but like you said, you better want to tinker with it. Here is my iphone 5 showing the toggles accessed by swiping the screen down. By swiping right on the toggles there are many more you can access without getting into the settings. It's probably my most used feature.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/jhall0712/99EFAC8E-43E2-4E1C-AC61-BE5769E787C7-1850-0000005AD29592C7_zps8499e146.jpg

I have a lot invested in the iOS ecosystem, but I am tempted by the S4..

harlenm
05-02-2013, 13:41
It would be nice to be able to do it out of the box. With jailbreaking you can pretty much do anything you want, but like you said, you better want to tinker with it. Here is my iphone 5 showing the toggles accessed by swiping the screen down. By swiping right on the toggles there are many more you can access without getting into the settings. It's probably my most used feature.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/jhall0712/99EFAC8E-43E2-4E1C-AC61-BE5769E787C7-1850-0000005AD29592C7_zps8499e146.jpg

So, basically you did all this hacking and modding to make the phone look just like a stock android phone?

That being said, the HTC One does not come out of the box with quick toggles like Samsung phones, and I think that is the main thing I don't like about the phone. So far it's awesome, however.

jhall
05-02-2013, 13:52
So, basically you did all this hacking and modding to make the phone look just like a stock android phone?

That being said, the HTC One does not come out of the box with quick toggles like Samsung phones, and I think that is the main thing I don't like about the phone. So far it's awesome, however.

I wouldn't call it hacking or modding. Maybe tweaking. But yeah. :supergrin: What can I say, they are useful damn features. It will really trip you out to see my lock screen -

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/jhall0712/89E1A1E8-754C-4ED8-970B-2AEA058B5D20-1850-0000005D39FEC6D2_zpsb7656230.jpg

Makes you wonder why I don't just get an Android device. :rofl:

racerford
05-02-2013, 14:03

My Sprint Galaxy S3 has been updated very regularly. Latest update was pushed last week

I looked for Android updates for the 3 generation ago Samsung Galaxy S. The latest official update from Samsung is Android 2.3.3 . We have iPhones from 3GS to the 5 and 3 versions of the iPad. They are all running 6.1.3. The latest until today. I see that 6.1.4 came out today. I see I have a lot of devices to update :crying:.

That is a good reason to use iOS. true that the iphone more than 3 generations back may not be able to update to iOS 6, but they provide updates for WAY longer than the other guys. And iOS looks pretty much the same on all devices, The same cannot be said for Android, as all the vendors have different software loads. Maybe if you stick with only Samsung on one phone company they look the same.

TBO
05-02-2013, 14:12

Go to widgets, select power control, drag to screen, now you have toggles.

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 14:17

That's pretty cool, and what the iPhone should include out of the box IMO. I can't imagine why they don't. Hopefully with the recent staff shakeup, iOS will change for the better instead of the same old with minor additions.

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 14:44
I looked for Android updates for the 3 generation ago Samsung Galaxy S. The latest official update from Samsung is Android 2.3.3 . We have iPhones from 3GS to the 5 and 3 versions of the iPad. They are all running 6.1.3. The latest until today. I see that 6.1.4 came out today. I see I have a lot of devices to update :crying:.

That is a good reason to use iOS. true that the iphone more than 3 generations back may not be able to update to iOS 6, but they provide updates for WAY longer than the other guys. And iOS looks pretty much the same on all devices, The same cannot be said for Android, as all the vendors have different software loads. Maybe if you stick with only Samsung on one phone company they look the same.

I do agree that Apple's update system is better than the generally carrier-dependent one of Android. Having said that, my previous Galaxy S2 shipped with 2.3 Gingerbread, went through a couple of iterations of 2.3, 4.0.X, and now about to get 4.1. So it will have had 3 major revisions of the OS when all is said and done. My current S3 shipped with Ice Cream Sandwich, currently runs JellyBean, and confirmed to be upgraded to Key Lime Pie when it is released. I'm not complaining about the updates to my Android devices. To be honest, given my experience with my mid-2010 Macbook pro running the latest version of OSX, I would not want an old iPhone to run the latest software. I remember when my GF upgraded her previous iPhone 4 to iOS 6, her phone was noticeably laggy. I reverted my MBP back to snow leopard. Problem with iOS is that once you upgrade, it's nearly impossible to revert back. I did not like the most recent update to my S3 and reverted back to the old one using nothing more than the tools Samsung built in to the phone. Don't even need root privileges to do it. Granted, this is only valid for Samsung devices.

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 14:45
I wouldn't call it hacking or modding. Maybe tweaking. But yeah. :supergrin: What can I say, they are useful damn features. It will really trip you out to see my lock screen -

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii268/jhall0712/89E1A1E8-754C-4ED8-970B-2AEA058B5D20-1850-0000005D39FEC6D2_zpsb7656230.jpg

Makes you wonder why I don't just get an Android device. :rofl:

That lock screen is still far less useful than the lockscreen on my S3. And if you see the lockscreen options that some custom ROMs provide, it'll really trip you up.

jhall
05-02-2013, 14:57
That lock screen is still far less useful than the lockscreen on my S3. And if you see the lockscreen options that some custom ROMs provide, it'll really trip you up.

Yeah. I go back and forth on how I want the lock screen to look. For awhile I had it loaded down with different things.. I'm on a minimalist kick right now I guess. But I really do like the HTC flip clock look.

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 15:52
Yeah. I go back and forth on how I want the lock screen to look. For awhile I had it loaded down with different things.. I'm on a minimalist kick right now I guess. But I really do like the HTC flip clock look.

Ok, I see. I wasn't sure if you had other options. This is another thing I wonder about Apple, is why they don't allow more control over the lockscreen. It has a lot of potential over just showing the time and unlocking the device.

fullhouse
05-02-2013, 16:37
My concern is that Android was designed by a company that is in the data mining business among other things they do.
Windows has always been a security hole..
I'd say stick with iphone, at least you'll have "some" measure of security.

syntaxerrorsix
05-02-2013, 16:45
My concern is that Android was designed by a company that is in the data mining business among other things they do.
Windows has always been a security hole..
I'd say stick with iphone, at least you'll have "some" measure of security.

Apple Data Mining (http://www.newsmax.com/SciTech/siri-iphone-privacy-apple/2012/05/23/id/440075)

fullhouse
05-02-2013, 16:58
Apple Data Mining (http://www.newsmax.com/SciTech/siri-iphone-privacy-apple/2012/05/23/id/440075)
I stand corrected. :whistling:

sputnik767
05-02-2013, 17:51

Yea, everyone does it. I think it's pretty much understood that if you use the internet or any internet-connected device, you give up at least some of your privacy.

harlenm
05-02-2013, 18:11
Go to widgets, select power control, drag to screen, now you have toggles.

I don't want something always there. I put a widget to switch sound profiles, that's the one I use the most. The other settings are accessible with one click from the notification tray.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

fullhouse
05-02-2013, 21:17
Yea, everyone does it. I think it's pretty much understood that if you use the internet or any internet-connected device, you give up at least some of your privacy.
Yeah, thats why I don't keep anything on an internet capable device that I wouldn't want to see on the front page of a newspaper. Nothing is safe.

blackjack
05-02-2013, 21:46
I work in small organization where the contract IT guy just recently came around to supporting the iPhone to push our e-mail to us and won't consider fooling with an Android device. So, if I want on-the-go e-mail I have to stick with iOS.

ColdSteelNail
05-03-2013, 05:59
I prefer a smaller phone + the Galaxy feels and looks flimsy when compared to the iPhone. My iPhone 5 does everything I need it to and more.

.264 magnum
05-03-2013, 06:11
I didn't say there were no other reasons to buy an iPhone over an Android phone, just that the ecosystem is the main reason. All other reasons, while certainly valid, are insignificant to many people.

I've seen iPhones and Android phones with cracked screens. The toughness argument is beyond silly. You drop the phone on it's screen from a high enough distance onto pavement, it's going to dent/break/crack/etc. That's why many iPhones I see are hiding inside those giant OtterBox cases, and the same goes for Android phones. The overwhelming majority of people keep their $600 devices in some sort of a case, and the toughness argument is one that people use when they have nothing else to try. And what about the HTC One, with it's aluminum chassis?

I can't speak about voice quality, but the dual microphones in the S3 seem to work well. I have never had any issues with voice quality on any of my Android phones, but I did have a hard time hearing my GF when she had her previous iPhone 4.

Apps/bloatware - that must be why people are ditching Apple apps for Google apps. Besides, rather than paying $100 for an extra 16 GB of storage, I'd rather spend $60 on a 64 GB class 10 SD card. What you may consider "bloat" I may not. I use many of the features on my S3 that you would consider bloat just because your iPhone doesn't have it. If I wanted a "bloat-free" phone, I would buy a Nexus. Some of the reports I've read, Apple is more hackable but Android gets more attacks. That has to do with less oversight over the app store and the ability to install apps outside the app store out of the box. To me, that is a good thing. I paid for my device and I should retain the right to install whatever I want on it, without having to root/jailbreak. If I install a virus, it is my fault and no one else.

1. Your words were something like, "at this point the only thing keeping the iphone......"

2. You can poo-poo it all you want - the S4 is far less tough than the iphone 5.

3. I didn't say S3/S4 voice quality was poor simply that iphone 5 sports better voice quality. It does.

4. Ok so you are cool with 8 gig of crap on a new 16 gig S4 - got it.

5. If you have the time could you post some info. about Android being more secure than IOS? That's out of phase with what little I know about the topic.

.264 magnum
05-03-2013, 06:15

Don't let that article about Siri make you think google is anything other than a world leader in customer data mining and privacy attack.

SC Tiger
05-03-2013, 06:33
If that's all that you need then more power to you. Personally I use my phone for calling, texting, emailing, and facebooking with clients, placing orders, posting my timebilling, downloading and viewing repair and installation manuals, tracking orders, and maintaining my calendar so that I don't forget meetings. My iPhone has worked pretty well for all of that, but I'm definitely ready for a bigger screen and a faster processor.

If I were you I would get an iPad (or some other tablet with cellular capability) for much of that.

Be kind to your eyes!!!

sputnik767
05-03-2013, 14:39
1. Your words were something like, "at this point the only thing keeping the iphone......"

2. You can poo-poo it all you want - the S4 is far less tough than the iphone 5.

3. I didn't say S3/S4 voice quality was poor simply that iphone 5 sports better voice quality. It does.

4. Ok so you are cool with 8 gig of crap on a new 16 gig S4 - got it.

5. If you have the time could you post some info. about Android being more secure than IOS? That's out of phase with what little I know about the topic.

2. My point was that toughness is irrelevant to the majority of people who keep their phone in a case. But if pretending that it's a big deal makes you happier, go for it. I don't drop my devices, but I guarantee you that if you drop your unprotected iphone 5 and I drop my unprotected S3, both will suffer some degree of damage.

3. Better voice quality is subjective. If I don't have an issue with voice quality, telling me that another phone is better isn't going to sway my opinion.

4. Am I ok with 8 GB of "crap?" I am ok with features that I will use, and yes, they do take up space. But in your mind it's obviously ok to charge $100 for an extra 16 GB of memory, when I can quadruple that amount of memory on the S4 for half the price. Built-in available memory only matters on a device where it's not upgradeable. Does the iphone come with a brainwashing feature as well?

5. http://news.techeye.net/mobile/iphone-is-the-most-hackable-mobile-device

In the end, it's not me that you have to convince to about the superiority of the iPhone. It's everyone that will pass it up for the S4, and it will be a lot of people. You may not be too worried about it, but Apple certainly is. And so are their shareholders. The S3 gave the iphone a decent run for it's money. The S4 has the potential to run away with the market. The end result remains to be seen, but just from personal observation, it's not looking great for Apple. Android is not the poor man's iPhone anymore.