NYC elementary school adopts all-vegetarian menu [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NYC elementary school adopts all-vegetarian menu

HerrGlock
05-01-2013, 09:23
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queens-school-serves-all-vegetarian-fare-article-1.1331690

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 09:30
Provided they manage to keep enough protein in the diets, which I seriously doubt they'll be able to do without meat, thats an excellent decision. Oh, wait, cheese quesadillas. Yeah, thats worse for you than a chicken breast.

Well done, dippies.

SixDemonBag
05-01-2013, 09:31
Having come from the NYC public school system I can attest that anything is better than the regular processed garbage they call food.

hatidua
05-01-2013, 10:11
Provided they manage to keep enough protein in the diets, which I seriously doubt they'll be able to do without meat

Well, I'm a lifelong vegetarian (47 years) and have quite a few marathons and mountain peaks on the resume' so I think they'll probably be able to sustain life without meat if that's the desire.

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 10:37
Well, I'm a lifelong vegetarian (47 years) and have quite a few marathons and mountain peaks on the resume' so I think they'll probably be able to sustain life without meat if that's the desire.

You're not a developing child. Bone, brain, and muscle tissue don't get made from lettuce and carrots. Your body, being already grown, is much better suited to an unnatural diet than a child who's body is still building itself. You're gonna tell me you were a vegetarian when you were a child? I dunno about that.

Which isn't to say that its impossible, just that I doubt the schools will successfully do so.

devildog2067
05-01-2013, 10:40
Your body, being already grown, is much better suited to an unnatural diet than a child who's body is still building itself.

Arguably, the diet we eat now (with lots of meat in it) is far more "unnatural" than an all-vegetarian diet. Meat was mostly a luxury item for most human beings for most of history.

<--not a vegetarian, and had braised short ribs and sushi for dinner last night

Zer0
05-01-2013, 10:47
I don't know why meat gets attacked so heavily when it's primarily unhealthy because of the methods they use to mass produce it. Everything they put in the animals when they're growing and then after their slaughtered.

...while everyone's eating vegetables slathered with artificial fertilizers and Pesticides

I don't know if people historically ate more meat or crops, but i imagine it depended on geography and accessibility to game. What IS unnatural is the mass production of all foods which inherently makes it all more unhealthy.

While it's possible to get a complete protein from non meat sources, it's much harder. Unless they were to replace all of their wheat bread with Ezekiel bread, and the kids wouldn't much like that

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 10:47
Arguably, the diet we eat now (with lots of meat in it) is far more "unnatural" than an all-vegetarian diet. Meat was mostly a luxury item for most human beings for most of history.

<--not a vegetarian, and had braised short ribs and sushi for dinner last night

Oh, I agree with that. Meat is a necessary part of the natural human diet (unless you think its healthier to suck down the bodily secretions from a cow's udder than eat a slab of chicken breast, which wouldn't be natural anyhow), but we're not meant to eat anywhere near as much of it as we do.

Vegans, vegetarians, always some strange fad. Nobody ever eats a balanced diet anymore.

vikingsoftpaw
05-01-2013, 10:50

During our hunter/gather phase of evolution, meat was a more common staple.

A vegetarian diet is doable if one balances their nutrition.

I once made a comment to a vegetarian about not seeing a fat vegan/vegetarian. She said they exist, they eat too much bread, pasta and starches.

Grains provide a higher number of calories is today's diet than they should.

syntaxerrorsix
05-01-2013, 10:59
Just another political agenda. Thinking this is about healthy choices and not about exercising power is naive.

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 11:12
I don't know why meat gets attacked so heavily when it's primarily unhealthy because of the methods they use to mass produce it. Everything they put in the animals when they're growing and then after their slaughtered.

...while everyone's eating vegetables slathered with artificial fertilizers and Pesticides

I don't know if people historically ate more meat or crops, but i imagine it depended on geography and accessibility to game. What IS unnatural is the mass production of all foods which inherently makes it all more unhealthy.

While it's possible to get a complete protein from non meat sources, it's much harder. Unless they were to replace all of their wheat bread with Ezekiel bread, and the kids wouldn't much like that

And that air we breathe. That air tainted with Carbon Monoxide, airborne pollutants and chemical plant emissions. Is it any wonder why the entire planet isn't dead yet?

I like Zeke-bread. I have a slice almost every day. Spoils fast, tho. :(

WarCry
05-01-2013, 12:39
You're not a developing child. Bone, brain, and muscle tissue don't get made from lettuce and carrots. Your body, being already grown, is much better suited to an unnatural diet than a child who's body is still building itself. You're gonna tell me you were a vegetarian when you were a child? I dunno about that.

Which isn't to say that its impossible, just that I doubt the schools will successfully do so.

No one has said they're forcing kids into a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, either. This is one meal a day. If they have bacon for breakfast and steak for dinner, it doesn't matter if they don't get a burger at lunch.

Rumor had long held that most of the meat (like burgers) served in my schools around here were soy-based products, anyway.

Glock30Eric
05-01-2013, 12:43
Better than processed packed foods.

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 12:43
No one has said they're forcing kids into a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, either. This is one meal a day. If they have bacon for breakfast and steak for dinner, it doesn't matter if they don't get a burger at lunch.

Rumor had long held that most of the meat (like burgers) served in my schools around here were soy-based products, anyway.

2 meals, unless I read it wrong. Mmm, soy. Did your graduating class' males have femaledog-mammaries?

hamster
05-01-2013, 12:53
Just another political agenda. Thinking this is about healthy choices and not about exercising power is naive.

I'm not a fan of public schools nor of public schools feeding kids.

However, IF they are going to be doing those things, I'd much rather have them feeding the kids whole foods plant-based foods rather than the processed crap they serve now.

Glock30Eric
05-01-2013, 13:13
I'm not a fan of public schools nor of public schools feeding kids.

However, IF they are going to be doing those things, I'd much rather have them feeding the kids whole foods plant-based foods rather than the processed crap they serve now.

I agree and it is their parents' job to feed them. It is not Gov't or school's responsiblity to feed them. It seems that their parents are unfit to be parents because they couldn't feed their own children; how sad is that!?

hamster
05-01-2013, 13:17
Oh, I agree with that. Meat is a necessary part of the natural human diet (unless you think its healthier to suck down the bodily secretions from a cow's udder than eat a slab of chicken breast, which wouldn't be natural anyhow), but we're not meant to eat anywhere near as much of it as we do.

Vegans, vegetarians, always some strange fad. Nobody ever eats a balanced diet anymore.

I'll remind you that the second most populous country in the world is predominately vegetarian.

Is that a fad?

Even within western culture, nobody nowhere ate as large a percentage of meat in every meal of the day as people do today. Historically speaking, it isn't the consumption of meat that is "new" it is the amount.

If eating habits changing in the 20-40 years of your living memory constitutes a fad, then yes... eating more fresh locally grown food and vegetables is a fad.

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 13:29
I'll remind you that the second most populous country in the world is predominately vegetarian.

Is that a fad?

Even within western culture, nobody nowhere ate as large a percentage of meat in every meal of the day as people do today. Historically speaking, it isn't the consumption of meat that is "new" it is the amount.

If eating habits changing in the 20-40 years of your living memory constitutes a fad, then yes... eating more fresh locally grown food and vegetables is a fad.

Are they vegetarian by choice or because they have no better choice because theres too damn many of them and not enough meat/money to buy meat to go around? Would you like to post some pictures of those people and we can critique their physical development? People eat whats available, that doesn't mean its perfect.

I mean moreso in this country, where people don't live in huts and cages.

Zer0
05-01-2013, 13:42
And that air we breathe. That air tainted with Carbon Monoxide, airborne pollutants and chemical plant emissions. Is it any wonder why the entire planet isn't dead yet?

I like Zeke-bread. I have a slice almost every day. Spoils fast, tho. :(

Air's bad too. I can't live in any major urban area, when there's an air quality warning my lungs close up.

I think you're the first person i've met that likes it too, I love the stuff

hamster
05-01-2013, 13:49
Are they vegetarian by choice or because they have no better choice because theres too damn many of them and not enough meat/money to buy meat to go around? Would you like to post some pictures of those people and we can critique their physical development? People eat whats available, that doesn't mean its perfect.

Here is a particularly well developed example. :)
http://www.whitegadget.com/attachments/pc-wallpapers/14562d1219677431-aishwarya-rai-wallpaper-picture-gallery-images-photos-aishwarya_rai_006_1024x768_hsnz.jpg
Are you a cattle rancher or something? I'm not sure why you are taking such a black and white stance on this.

Omitting meat from two meals a day does not make these kids malnourished or vegetarians.

As far as nutrition and health, I assure you that people who eat a balanced plant based diet can be very healthy. But don't take my word on it, take the word of the former head of Cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic, the #1 rated cardiac hospital in the country.

Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health (9781932100662): T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, Howard Lyman, John Robbins: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J-L-LUH5L.@@AMEPARAM@@51J-L-LUH5L

Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure: Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.: 9781583333006: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TGHA3CskL.@@AMEPARAM@@51TGHA3CskL

SixDemonBag
05-01-2013, 13:54
2 meals, unless I read it wrong. Mmm, soy. Did your graduating class' males have femaledog-mammaries?

Not true and not going to happen. Stop being dramatic.

rhikdavis
05-01-2013, 13:59
I like veggies with my steak.

czsmithGT
05-01-2013, 14:01

Is that a fad?

Depending on which survey you believe maybe 1/3 of Indians are vegetarian with most if those lacto vegetarians. Could be a lot of that is based more on economics than nutrition. That said, if I have to subsidize our public school kids' meals I want them to be as cheap as possible.

racerford
05-01-2013, 14:05
It is not a vegetarian diet. Eggs are developing meat.

It is a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.

India is full of meat eaters. Hindu followers don't eat cows. I know plenty of Indians that eat chicken. Of course, India is not all Hindu (80%). There are other religions (Islam 13%, Christian 2%, etc). India does not a appear to be a majority vegetarian country.

John Rambo
05-01-2013, 14:07
Here is a particularly well developed example. :)
Are you a cattle rancher or something? I'm not sure why you are taking such a black and white stance on this.

Omitting meat from two meals a day does not make these kids malnourished or vegetarians.

Never said it did. Just said I doubt the schools will take the right approach to it, and instead will likely end up depriving the children of the things their bodies need to develop. However, cutting the amount of meat we eat is something most of America could stand to do from a health standpoint.

As far as nutrition and health, I assure you that people who eat a balanced plant based diet can be very healthy. But don't take my word on it, take the word of the former head of Cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic, the #1 rated cardiac hospital in the country.

Amazon.com: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health (9781932100662): T. Colin Campbell, Thomas M. Campbell II, Howard Lyman, John Robbins: Books (http://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications/dp/1932100660)

Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure: Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.: 9781583333006: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-Heart-Disease-Nutrition-Based/dp/1583333002/ref=pd_sim_b_2)

"Plant based?" If you're talking about being a true vegan, that is unhealthy without supplements. Go ahead and write those authors, ask them how Vegans get ample amounts of Vitamin K2 from an all-natural Vegan diet. And don't let them BS you with some line that Vitamin K1 suffices. It does not. They must take supplements to achieve optimal K2 levels. Its not that they don't know this. Its that they're promoting things that make them money.

People were meant to eat plants and animals. To deviate from that is to deviate from our natural diet. Its really that simple.

Redheadhunter21
05-01-2013, 14:08
I don't agree with a public school doing this. If it was a private more power to them but from a public school I think it's a little over reaching.

I'm thinking the food that they will end up eating will be no healthier than the processed chicken and meat they where getting before. Why do I say that? Because it would cost them way more to get quality vegetables and products to go with them. I think your lower income students will get screwed by this. Most are already malnourished and unless they make sure there getting adequate protein, I see problems later on.

hamster
05-01-2013, 14:09
It is not a vegetarian diet. Eggs are developing meat.

It is a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.

India is full of meat eaters. Hindu followers don't eat cows. I know plenty of Indians that eat chicken. Of course, India is not all Hindu (80%). There are other religions (Islam 13%, Christian 2%, etc). India does not a appear to be a majority vegetarian country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

Between 20-40% of nearly a billion people is fairly significant. Certainly significant enough to dismiss Rambo's claim that Vegetarian diets are a "fad."

hamster
05-01-2013, 14:12
I don't agree with a public school doing this. If it was a private more power to them but from a public school I think it's a little over reaching.

I'm thinking the food that they will end up eating will be no healthier than the processed chicken and meat they where getting before. Why do I say that? Because it would cost them way more to get quality vegetables and products to go with them. I think your lower income students will get screwed by this. Most are already malnourished and unless they make sure there getting adequate protein, I see problems later on.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. There is a distinct danger to thinking that vegetarian or vegan necessarily means health food. It is possible to be completely vegan and live off French-fries, Oreos, and Chips. Of course that isn't healthy.

In order for this to make sense the it is more important for the food to be "Whole foods" rather than just vegetarian.

racerford
05-01-2013, 14:17
A vegetarian diet is not necessarily good for you either. A diet with meat in it is not necessarily bad either.

My kids would love to be on a Vegan diet. They would eat French Fires with Ketchup, all day everyday without complaint, if I let them. They would be Oompa Lumpa sized in no-time.

A balanced diet of protein, fat and carbs is ideal, but only of the right caloric levels according to one's size, activity level and metabolic rate.

The problem is many people do no follow that balance whether they are vegan, carnivore, or omnivore.

oldman11
05-01-2013, 14:29

The story I read said they were serving this vegetarian diet for two (not one) meals, breakfast and lunch. They have taken away all semblance of choice.

hamster
05-01-2013, 14:29
Which is why whenever I talk about this subject I say "WHOLE FOODS plant based" diet, not vegan. However everyone always conveniently forgets the Whole foods part.

Vegans are filthy hippies who could care less about the nutritional content of their food. However, it is possible and very very easy to get proteins, fat and carbs from non-processed plant foods.

Legumes are very high in protein for example. Peanuts are an excellent source of fat. Grains like oatmeal are a healthy source of carbs.

A vegetarian diet is not necessarily good for you either. A diet with meat in it is not necessarily bad either.

My kids would love to be on a Vegan diet. They would eat French Fires with Ketchup, all day everyday without complaint, if I let them. They would be Oompa Lumpa sized in no-time.

A balanced diet of protein, fat and carbs is ideal, but only of the right caloric levels according to one's size, activity level and metabolic rate.

The problem is many people do no follow that balance whether they are vegan, carnivore, or omnivore.

hamster
05-01-2013, 14:34
The story I read said they were serving this vegetarian diet for two (not one) meals, breakfast and lunch. They have taken away all semblance of choice.

Really? Any semblance of choice? Just because one type of food isn't provided by the school?

I actually chose a daycare for my son that doesn't provide any food. I did so because I wasn't to happy with the re-heated chicken nuggets the other schools call a "lunch." Personally I'd rather supply my own food for my kids. But that would take... effort, time management skills, care, intelligence, self-control. Things the average American clearly don't possess.

SixDemonBag
05-01-2013, 14:42
Vegans are filthy hippies who could care less about the nutritional content of their food. However, it is possible and very very easy to get proteins, fat and carbs from non-processed plant foods.

Where did you find a brush that broad to paint with?

Spiffums
05-01-2013, 16:28
Vegans are worse than Atheist! The next thing they will want is a free ranch where cows c "frolicked and play cow games"..........yeah I heard that on CNN once.

05-01-2013, 16:47
I have a life long friend who's a vegan. Watching him prepare a meal is something I find amusing with all the supplements he has to add to have a "balanced" diet - and it's expensive.

Yeah, he's skinny, but he doesn't look healthy and he seems to be tired all the time.

The thing is he preaches about healthy he is and how unhealthy I am! Yeah, no.

Zer0
05-01-2013, 18:40
I have a life long friend who's a vegan. Watching him prepare a meal is something I find amusing with all the supplements he has to add to have a "balanced" diet - and it's expensive.

Yeah, he's skinny, but he doesn't look healthy and he seems to be tired all the time.

The thing is he preaches about healthy he is and how unhealthy I am! Yeah, no.

I know a woman like that. Always criticizing me and saying that by eating meat i'm "begging for cancer and heart disease"... while at the same time being so frail that i'd be concerned if she went out in high winds.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, supplements are just that, supplements, to go along with, not to replace a healthy diet. They're not as good as what you get naturally.

I'm reserved on what i think about the school being vegetarian until knowing what foods they also served. But i highly doubt it'll be fresh organic vegetables and homegrown everything else. In other words, they're not really benefitting the kids.

Oh i suppose if they cut out fried chicken nuggets it'd knock a few hundred calories and cholesterol points off a meal, but if they replace it with fries then it's not helping anything

Glock20 10mm
05-01-2013, 18:44

Oh very much by choice... they have beef a plenty but due to their religion they will not eat any animals for they believe they would be eating their reincarnated relatives.

czsmithGT
05-01-2013, 18:47
Oh very much by choice... they have beef a plenty but due to their religion they will not eat any animals for they believe they would be eating their reincarnated relatives.

The majority of Hindus eat meat, just not beef.

Glock20 10mm
05-01-2013, 18:48
Where did you find a brush that broad to paint with?

It's pretty accurate... I am surrounded by vegans... quite nasty creatures they are.

WarCry
05-01-2013, 19:06
It's pretty accurate... I am surrounded by vegans... quite nasty creatures they are.

A couple of my close, personal friends, strict vegans:
http://www.redgallows.com/vegans.jpg

I think you may need to rethink who and where you hang out, not to mention the attitude of stereotyping an entire group of folks based on such a small sampling of reality.

I did want to correct myself: At the time of the photo, they were strict vegans. They have since decided to reintroduce a bit more, like chicken and such, but I don't think I've ever heard the pair of them described as "nasty creatures" before.

SixDemonBag
05-02-2013, 11:17

I know quite a few vegans and vegetarians who are good people into a lot of the same things 'we' are.

The same extreme you and the other poster use is the same extreme the MSM uses to paint gun owners in a negative light. Just something to think about.

Henry Kane
05-02-2013, 11:28
Really? Any semblance of choice? Just because one type of food isn't provided by the school?

I actually chose a daycare for my son that doesn't provide any food. I did so because I wasn't to happy with the re-heated chicken nuggets the other schools call a "lunch." Personally I'd rather supply my own food for my kids. But that would take... effort, time management skills, care, intelligence, self-control. Things the average American clearly don't possess.

Mmm Hmm.

State Inspectors Searching Children’s Lunch Boxes:

http://www.nccivitas.org/2012/state-inspectors-searching-childrens-lunch-boxes-this-isnt-china-is-it/

Incrementalism is already at work. This is another step down the slippery slope.

Granted, I agree largely with the idea (or even obligation) of home-provided lunches. As long as it remains an option. My skepticism is growing.

John Rambo
05-02-2013, 11:37

I think you may need to rethink who and where you hang out, not to mention the attitude of stereotyping an entire group of folks based on such a small sampling of reality.

I did want to correct myself: At the time of the photo, they were strict vegans. They have since decided to reintroduce a bit more, like chicken and such, but I don't think I've ever heard the pair of them described as "nasty creatures" before.

Yikes, do Vegans have something against getting a tan? :rofl:

jason10mm
05-02-2013, 11:44
Sounds to me like a strong entrepreneurial opportunity for an enterprising kid to pack 20 burgers in his bag each day and sell them at lunch. I did that with candy in the 6th grade until I got busted by the principal. Still not sure to this day that I broke any actual rules.

Glock20 10mm
05-02-2013, 11:52

Yeah, I knew a really great looking couple of vegans as well... but they were he exception not the norm of what I see where I am. Which appears to me to be vegan whacka doodle central. I watch these vegans and others walking from class to class in scrappy clothes, no shoes and dreads that would make Bob Marley jealous.

Glocksanity
05-02-2013, 12:08
America is the most obese country in the world. It has the highest rate of anti-depressant usage. It is the most medicated country on earth.

Yep, let's demonize a vegetarian diet that is more healthy than processed crap!

Ha ha ha.

nmk
05-02-2013, 12:31

I would have expected you to be better than this.

WarCry
05-02-2013, 12:45
Yikes, do Vegans have something against getting a tan? :rofl:

Well, that was in the middle of autumn (I think that's from Nov '11), so there's not a lot of sunbathing going on in the middle of Illinois that time of year....

That said, this particular couple are not exactly what I would call outdoorsy (even though I know she grew up on a farm). That's just a lifestyle choice, though. They do enjoy going out and shooting, however! She has a VERY nice 1st-gen G17 that she bought off a local cop....

ArtificialGrape
05-02-2013, 12:51
America is the most obese country in the world. It has the highest rate of anti-depressant usage. It is the most medicated country on earth.

Yep, let's demonize a vegetarian diet that is more healthy than processed crap!

Ha ha ha.

Yep, around 500,000 Americans have heart bypass surgery a year, and a whole foods plant-based diet is considered radical.

syntaxerrorsix
05-02-2013, 12:57
Yep, around 500,000 Americans have heart bypass surgery a year, and a whole foods plant-based diet is considered radical.

It's the agenda I have a problem with.

If the menu was selected for health reasons it would have been more balanced. Instead they went all vegetarian.... save for the fatty processed cheese load with cholesterol in their quesadilas.

Yeah.. for health reason. I'm certain of it.

ArtificialGrape
05-02-2013, 13:05

If the menu was selected for health reasons it would have been more balanced. Instead they went all vegetarian.... save for the fatty processed cheese load with cholesterol in their quesadilas.

No doubt about it you can create total crap vegetarian and even vegan diets -- Fettuccini Alfredo Vegetarians and French Fry Vegans come to mind.

Henry Kane
05-02-2013, 13:43

Agreed! A non-vegetarian diet isn't the cause of obesity, anti-depressant use, etc.etc.

The agenda is the problem. Removing options to such a measure on the ideals of the extreme minority. Also, that this is the active solution to students' "health concerns" is laughable, ineffective, and demonstrates gross complacency on the part of the school's admin.

Not to mention, how many elementary school kids are going to embrace a vegetarian menu. :ack: How many of them will take in less nutrition, to some degree or another, because of this?

racerford
05-02-2013, 14:22
Agreed! A non-vegetarian diet isn't the cause of obesity, anti-depressant use, etc.etc.

The agenda is the problem. Removing options to such a measure on the ideals of the extreme minority. Also, that this is the active solution to students' "health concerns" is laughable, ineffective, and demonstrates gross complacency on the part of the school's admin.

Not to mention, how many elementary school kids are going to embrace a vegetarian menu. :ack: How many of them will take in less nutrition, to some degree or another, because of this?

I think more exercise is a better solution to childhood obesity than a less choice on their diet.

I can assure you I would have just not eaten it. I would have gotten Mom to make me a lunch with real food in it, instead of stuff food eats. Or I would have made it myself.

Those applauding this, please keep this in mind as we move more towards Obamacare. Perhaps, they will do the same with Medicare or Medicaid. THEY know what is best for you.

If they want disadvantaged children to have healthy food they should restrict what foods are eligible on WIC(foods stamps).

hamster
05-02-2013, 22:54

Um. Before you get yourself worked into a frothy frenzy about the "agenda" and the "ideals of the extreme minority" at the school:

Here is the rest of the story.

http://us.cnn.com/2013/05/02/health/new-york-vegetarian-school/index.html?hpt=hp_bn13

To Paraphrase some highlights:
The school noticed for years that most of the students were bringing vegetarian meals from home on a regular basis.

85% of the students are asian from family backgrounds that are mostly vegetarian.

The school first tested the plan incrementally with three days of all veg....

All of this paints a very different picture than the implication of many that somehow leftists are trying to force an unhealthy diet on the majority of kids.

Seems more like the school is adapting to what the children's families prefer for them. Very different IMO.

PS. All the BS about there being no proteins in vegetarian food, I can tell you it is simply untrue. I've experimented on and off for the last year with trying to adopt a mostly vegan diet (not easy, but I certainly suffered no malnutrition as a result.). Sure you need to be educated and it isn't a cheap way to eat... but I never took a single supplement.

As for the assertion that we were "meant" to eat meat. As someone with an undergraduate degree in Physical Anthropology, I can tell you that modern humans are unique amongst all other "higher" primates in the amount of meat we consume. While chimps will occasionally hunt or scavenge for meat, it is a tiny fraction of their diets.

Even in the last 10,000 years or so, the modern western diet is an absolute outlier as far as what constitues what we were "meant" to eat.

I suppose if we are looking purely at longevity, we should all adopt a Japanese diet... which looks vastly different than the standar school meals all of y'all seem to be clinging to.

goldenlight
05-02-2013, 23:06
Provided they manage to keep enough protein in the diets, which I seriously doubt they'll be able to do without meat, thats an excellent decision. Oh, wait, cheese quesadillas. Yeah, thats worse for you than a chicken breast.

Well done, dippies.

The first post nailed it.