California Trip [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : California Trip

puckhead
05-01-2013, 10:04
Changed the summer plans a bit and I will be driving from San Fransico to Eureka then to Cresent City and on up into Medford, OR. Will be going with the wife and 5y/o.

Mapquest has me going up 101. We will be hitting the Goldengate Bridge for sure.

Any other good places to stop? We will have to stay at least once overnight somewhere.

Places to eat?

Average gas prices in the area? For June?

Any and all info is helpful!

Thanks all!

SixDemonBag
05-01-2013, 10:27
Changed the summer plans a bit and I will be driving from San Fransico to Eureka then to Cresent City and on up into Medford, OR. Will be going with the wife and 5y/o.

Mapquest has me going up 101. We will be hitting the Goldengate Bridge for sure.

Any other good places to stop? We will have to stay at least once overnight somewhere.

Places to eat?

Average gas prices in the area? For June?

Any and all info is helpful!

Thanks all!

Sausalito, right over the GGB, has a some fun stores and great views of SF for pictures and stuff.

101 to Fortuna is pretty boring, just open space. After that it will take you through all the coastal towns and you're bound to find some good places to eat, I never spent too much time up there, but some others may have specific advice. Oh, and you'll be presented with photo ops galore along the coast, be prepared. Check out yelp (as much as I despise that site) for reviews on obscure restaurants you'll find along the way.

Eureka or Arcata will probably be your stopping point if you plan on spending a night somewhere.

Gas is always expensive in CA. Rent an econobox and fill it with the cheapest you can find. You're looking at about $4 a gallon for regular and $4.25+ for 91.

Have fun.

Chiefret
05-01-2013, 10:33
Be sure to take the scenic parkway through the Redwood National Park on the way up to Crescent City. Man those trees are big. And the smallest pine cones. Go figure.

ateamer
05-01-2013, 11:10
San Francisco: Golden Gate Park is very nice, great museum and a Japanese Tea Garden. Hint - you can greatly amuse yourself and the kids by teaching them how to catch crawdads from the Tea Garden's creek, and mortify your wife at the same time. Fisherman's Wharf is touristy, but still fun. Have some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. The city is filled with great restaurants. Go to Chinatown, too. Taking the Muni bus and electric trolleys around The City (no one calls it Frisco) is the best way to go. We were up there a couple weeks ago and felt completely safe on public transit, even at night. I have found San Franciscans to be very friendly and helpful.

puckhead
05-01-2013, 11:21
Thanks guys! Gonna be doing some looking!

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 11:23
Oh, TOTALLY call it Frisco. As often as you can. See how fast it annoys the liberals without talking about welfare or 1%'ers. :rofl:

FLIPPER 348
05-01-2013, 11:25
Spend the night in Crescent City and spend a whole day getting to Medford as the best Redwoods are there just out of town to the north. Then explore the Six River complex, lunch in Cave Junction, the Illioni River Valley

trashcat
05-01-2013, 11:27
Traffic on the 101 is fairly abysmal until you get north of Santa Rosa. Humboldt county has some of the most expensive gas in the nation. There are a couple Scenic Bypasses that branch off the 101 for a couple miles and go through some old growth redwoods before rejoining the 101.
There are a few bed & breakfast places just south of Eureka other wise there are some national chain hotels in Eureka/Arcata. Do not stay in a non national chain hotel in Eureka or Arcata, your best bet is the hotel area on the north side of Arcata 101 and Guitoli lane. It's also where a great 24h greasy spoon/burger/breakfast joint is Toni's, west side of 101. More family and tourist dining is the Samoa Cook House, an old logging cook house and small museum all you can eat but you only get what they're cooking that day.
There are some very curvy section of 101 between Arcata and Crescent City and the 199 between Crescent City and the I5 junction be prepared for car sickness. There is also a great place to stop for food on the 199 Taylor's Meats in Cave Junction, excellent meat and good road food.
If you're into beer stop at Eel River Brewery in Fortuna and Six Rivers Brewery in McKinleyville both have great beer, serve food, and are family friendly.

FH Alum
05-01-2013, 18:00
Not sure how long you have but another really cool drive from 101 to I-5 is to take 199 along the Smith River just north of Crescent City. It dumps you off in Grants Pass which ~ 30 miles north of Medford. However, Grants Pass is on the Rogue which is worth seeing. If you take that 199 route keep a good eye out for bear there are lots.

Best thing to do in S. Oregon/N. Cal is to do the Rogue River jet boats in Gold Beach. Spring for the longer trip as it's more exciting and gets into white water. This is a MUST do if you can spare a day.

Some may argue it's a tourist trap but I still like Trees of Mystery. It's a once in a lifetime been there done that thing but with the tram ride it's worth the stop and only takes a couple of hours.

If you stay on 101 to the Oregon border the restaurant at Ship a Shore in Smith River (look for the old white ship and RV park on West side of 101) has the BEST fondue anywhere. And if you are on that route State Line Liquor is a good stop to load up on libations.

puckhead
05-08-2013, 17:28
Thanks guys! Just have to do some planning and see what we have money for. Might have to cut some extra stuff out.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

moeman
05-08-2013, 18:13
Look up national parks redwoods the most beautiful landscape anywhere. Pt Reyes north of SF is pretty. Anywhere on the eel river is awesome. Worth taking extra time to get "lost".

CAcop
05-08-2013, 19:35
If you want to get away from crowds in SF the Presidio is nice along with Fort Point, Crissy Field and the Warming Hut there. The Marin Headlands are nice too. Angel Island is also nice and relaxing. SF Centre is nice too if you want to mall it. Japantown is cool too. Chinatown is almost a must see. As is Market Street. The Ferry building.

On the way up to Oregon up 101 be prepared for a lot of big trees and not very many people. It is what was very close to becoming the state of Jefferson. It is totally different than the rest of the state. If it did become a state it would probably be very similar to rural Oregon in many ways.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Glock20 10mm
05-09-2013, 12:51
If you find yourself down in the Santa Cruz area... call, I have beer, whiskey and a shooting range!

fnfalman
05-09-2013, 13:54
If you want to eat good Chinese food in San Francisco, don't eat at the joints in Chinatown.

http://www.tonkiang.net/

Go to this one instead, and it's pretty close to the Golden Gate Bridge too. Their fried oysters is like no other fried oysters elsewhere. I'd kill for a plate of that mamajama.

mixflip
05-09-2013, 14:11
We did a road trip from SF to Seattle up the coast. It was by far one of the best road trips I have ever been on. The coast up there is so different than SoCal, the gulf or the east coast.

Parts reminded me of the movie Goonies. Driving our car through the redwoods was amazing.