There are statutes of limitations for reasons. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : There are statutes of limitations for reasons.

railfancwb
05-01-2013, 10:10
An 81 year old British actor arrested for the rape of a 15 year old girl - 47 years ago. With this much lapsed time, it is highly unlikely the charge could be proved (or disproved) so by arresting and charging him, he has in effect been tried and found guilty by the police and press without a day in court.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/463279/20130501/ken-barlow-bill-roach-earrested-rape-sexual.htm

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

GD2J
05-01-2013, 10:18
Virginia has no statute of limitations for any felony crime.

ray9898
05-01-2013, 10:44
Without knowing the facts you cannot really assume it is not proveable. Not all crimes have a statute of limitations, especially crimes where someone can be sentenced to life such as rape and murder.

Dennis in MA
05-01-2013, 11:18
Check to see if she's still a virgin. That'll help rule it out right there. ;)

OTOH, plenty of Catholic Priests went unpunished b/c their crimes occurred far enough in the past. But the woman is 62. Just wow.

If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won't happen to you.

I would like to see him charged AND convicted of being a stinkin hippie, tho.

ron59
05-01-2013, 13:59
There are some things that should NOT have limitations on them. Such as murder. I think I'd include rape in there, particularly of a child. What he did to her could have messed with her for life.

It should certainly be proveable, but I don't think there should be a limit on dastardly crimes.

Reyn
05-01-2013, 14:08
Some crimes do not have a statute of limitations.

gigab1te
05-01-2013, 14:13
AZ doesn't have a statute of limitations on serious sex crimes, or murder, or a few other crimes. Also, at least in AZ, the statute of limitations doesn't run until the state lears the crime was committed, or while the suspect is outside the state or cannot be located. For many other crimes, the statue of limitations also does not run while the identity of the perpetrator is unknown to the state.

Of course, once a suspect is caught, he still has to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Not many cases get better with time (although a few do).

jtull7
05-03-2013, 09:49
GD2J, here is a list of Virginia statutes of limitation:

Arson, No time limit or 1 years (Depending on the facts of the case)

Va. Code 19.2-8

Assault and Battery, No time limit or 1 years (Depending on the facts of the case)

Va. Code 19.2-8

Burglary, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8

Disorderly Conduct, 1 year

Va. Code 19.2-8

Kidnapping ("Abduction"), No time limit or 1 years (Depending on the facts of the case)

Va. Code 19.2-8

Manslaughter, voluntary, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8.1

Manslaughter, involuntary, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8.1

Murder, ("Capital Murder"), No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8.1

Murder, first degree, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8.1

Murder, second degree, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8.1

Rape, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8

Receiving Stolen Property, 1 or 5 years (Depending on the facts of the case)

Va. Code 19.2-8

Robbery, No time limit

Va. Code 19.2-8

Theft ("Larceny"), 1 or 5 years (Depending on the facts of the case)

Va. Code 19.2-8

GD2J
05-03-2013, 09:55
jtull, I never said Virginia did not have a statute of limitations. The limitations to prosecute based on time are enumerated and specific, and they are all MISDEMEANORS. In the context of the original post, rape (a felony in Virginia) has no time limitation along with all other felonies.