Portland Oregon, most despicable city in the Northwest. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Portland Oregon, most despicable city in the Northwest.

countrygun
07-28-2013, 15:11
I spent the majority of my life there. It has become the most hypocritical nest of liberal scum imaginable. One particular story illustrates it.

In a neighborhood where I restored an old house there was a corner tavern with a rich history. It had been built after WWII by the owner/operator and he had hired a construction company largely made up of veterans. One of these vets was a local man from the neighborhood who, before the war had been a semi-pro baseball player in the Yankees farm system with pretty good prospects. He went off to war and was seriously wounded thus ending his baseball career. He came back and became a carpenter.

Shortly after the tavern was built a full 360 degree mural was done on the walls by a man who had received his art training through the WPA/CCC program in the Depression. This was. like it or not, an important piece of NW history. The man had worked on Timberline Lodge. In his later years he had taken to drinking and to support this hobby painted murals in businesses (especially bars and taverns) He became a part of the city's rich heritage. In this tavern he painted a panorama depicting the history of Portland from Indian life before Lewis and Clark to WWII.

After many years as a carpenter the aforementioned veteran came back to the neighborhood and became the bartender at the bar. He worked there for 20 years or more.

The old owner's family were met with an offer to buy the place. It came from an immigrant who married into the right family. Overnight the place was transformed into an ethnic restaurant. The bartender was fired and the place became one of the temporarily trendy hotspots after the mural was painted over.

The old former ballplayer and Purple Heart recipient was left with nothing but his very meager Social Security check. He was still able to work as a bartender but no one was hiring 70 year old bartenders. He never had a family, his war injury made that impossible, and he was an only child. His wife had passed as well.

When I heard he had lost his apartment, I tracked him down and offered him a place at the house I was restoring and tried to offer him work but he didn't want to take "charity".

It only took another two months of the hard winter we had that year and this man was found in a doorway, dead from exposure.

He was buried at Willamette National cemetery with military honors. At least he rests with his comrades and not far from two of my relatives.

The restaurant has changed hands twice since. It is now a posh hangout for liberals who swill expensive wine and talk about how horrible it is that people don't realize that society owes something to people like Trayvon Martin.

It is the way of out juvenile like society today I guess. Like children that don't respect their elders and are concerned with what the other kids are doing. What ever cause is getting attention TODAY is the real world to them.

Portland, you're despicable.

railfancwb
07-28-2013, 17:23
Is it Portland as a whole or merely those involved in the incidents you describe which have upset you?

I certainly can see unfortunate happenings here, but a lot are due solely to the march of time.

countrygun
07-28-2013, 18:34
Is it Portland as a whole or merely those involved in the incidents you describe which have upset you?

I certainly can see unfortunate happenings here, but a lot are due solely to the march of time.

No, it is a "Geist" in Portland. Once an almost strictly "working man's city" built on timber, produce, shipping. Both maritime and agriculture met. The historical repository of a great State with all the rich history that rivaled Tombstone, or Deadwood, but was largely unknown due to it's isolation from the, then, "media".

The town has been taken over by liberals who do everything the can to destroy the very industries that built Portland. It is home to the movement that has halted the harvesting of second growth timber, that timber that was cultivated for use as a renewable resource by the timber companies decades before the "ecology" movement, morphed into the "Earth" movement and then transformed to the "green" movement.

The same clowns that retard the salmon fishing industry to "save" the overpopulate sea lions and prevent the hatcheries from producing more in a fraudulent and baseless claim of protecting the "wild" genes. Any fool would know that there are no "wild genes due to the unfettered commercial hatcheries that operated since the late 1800s, with no damage to the integrity of the salmon population I may add.

Nothing is done in Portland anymore that couldn't be as well, or better, done somewhere else. There is no more of the native character left to the city ore the economy. Well, save for the Port which does ship to and from the Pacific Rim but they are largely goods to and from somewhere else . Otherwise the people of Portland have no real connection to the State and are intensely concerned with the "quality of life" , social issues, and trying to make their standards the law of the land for the rest of the State.

Do not forget that Nike is actually headquartered in Beaverton and then try and find how many Nike products are made in the US. But they are worn by good little drones who complain that we don't do enough for the Trayvon Martins of the Country. You, know, maybe we could give them jobs making Nike products ? No at Nike the white collar jobs are the All-American product, the labor is for the LBGs in another Country. We want to keep the Northwest free of that kind of thing.

No Portland has become a cesspool of meaningless people, doing nothing of any great importance but all claiming affiliation to (meaningless) causes and experimenting with social engineering like a Petri dish with a slice of rotting fruit in it that is no longer of any value except to amuse observers with the number and color of the different molds that grow on it.

GlockWheeler
07-29-2013, 10:47
Having been born and raised in Eastern Oregon, I have to agree with your analysis of the Portland area in general. I lived there for two years and happily moved back to the east side. Mybe it is just because Portland is the largest city in this state, but I have no desire to live there again.

Clusterfrack
07-29-2013, 10:56
Countrygun--that's a very sad story. I sure wish things had gone differently for this Vet.

It's true that Portland has changed, but I find that there are a lot of open-minded, friendly people here. I like living here (although the new Multnomah County gun laws are outrageous.)

countrygun
07-29-2013, 14:08
Having been born and raised in Eastern Oregon, I have to agree with your analysis of the Portland area in general. I lived there for two years and happily moved back to the east side. Mybe it is just because Portland is the largest city in this state, but I have no desire to live there again.

I love the east side of the State. I have my multi generation roots here on the coast but my Dad had friends on the east side and I spent many a hunting season over there ( I know, "valley hunters:upeyes:" We get them here too.) and I spent my own time over there whenever I could Ukiah to Ontario and Durkee, Prineville, Pendleton Wagontire, Steens Mountain, I stayed away from Bend as I saw it already getting "Yuppified" back in the day.

I miss it and my wife has never seen much of it. We have talked about a little vacation trip just for the heck of it cruising eastern Oregon.

countrygun
07-29-2013, 14:21
Countrygun--that's a very sad story. I sure wish things had gone differently for this Vet.

It's true that Portland has changed, but I find that there are a lot of open-minded, friendly people here. I like living here (although the new Multnomah County gun laws are outrageous.)

Most of the "open minded" folks I knew took it too far and their brains fell out. There are too many folk who really aren't connected to the actual "work" they make their money from. It is stratifying into 'the white collar and their service workers" .

When they elected a female mayor who was from Chicago who's only history had been "professional politician in Chicago" and who moved to Portland to be a professional politician there, I saw the end coming. When they elected one of the single biggest losers from my high school, who moved to Portland, to the City Council, I got the heck out of Dodge.

"More square miles of parks than any other city in the nation" and more squirrels to with it.

cowboywannabe
07-29-2013, 15:04
I have a coworker from Bend Oregon. he says the west side of the mountains is a completely different state people wise than the central and east..... I haven't heard anything to contradict that.

Louisville Glocker
07-29-2013, 15:55
I loved living in Portland for four years. Lots of unpaved/semi-paved streets and the smell of wood burning fills the air in the winter months. People are very laid back.

Economy-wise, there is a lot of high-tech there, not very meaningless if you ask me. And it is even one of the locations where the microbrewery revolution began. You can be in the mountains in an hour (Mt. Hood), or at the ocean in just over an hour. Gotta love it if you like the outdoors.

Clusterfrack
07-29-2013, 16:48
I loved living in Portland for four years. Lots of unpaved/semi-paved streets and the smell of wood burning fills the air in the winter months. People are very laid back.

Economy-wise, there is a lot of high-tech there, not very meaningless if you ask me. And it is even one of the locations where the microbrewery revolution began. You can be in the mountains in an hour (Mt. Hood), or at the ocean in just over an hour. Gotta love it if you like the outdoors.

Agree. Plus there's a very strong shooting community here, and while some non-shooters freak when they find out what I do for fun, by far most are fine with it.

tuica
07-29-2013, 16:55
I have lived in many areas of the US, and this is still my home - was born here. Lotta bad everywhere - this still a damn fine state and city. And more lefty's to mock than most places! Cheers.

Captain Steinbrenner
07-29-2013, 17:26
I was in Portland like a month and a half ago and it was like I traveled back in time seeing all the hippies roaming the streets.
Ugly as hell people, dressed like clowns, men and women both.
Went to a Cuban restaurant that was ok that had a nice mural painted on the side, it was cool seeing americans dancing salsa so far from my island I even danced with a couple of girls from Seattle, they knew how to dance really good. :whistling:
That and the scenery was the only two things I liked about Portland. It's a beautiful city.

vikingsoftpaw
07-29-2013, 19:36
So there is a good bit of truth to IFC's snarky 'Portlandia'?

countrygun
07-29-2013, 20:14

It really is a documentary

Clusterfrack
07-29-2013, 20:19

Yes a good bit. Last week I was driving and saw a guy walking along with a white button down shirt, fleece vest, and no pants. Naked from waist down. Saw him again the next day with a pink woman's sweater, no pants. No big deal. That's Portland.

Csv
07-29-2013, 20:38
Why has no one mentioned the strip clubs? Never been to any there but that's the only thing I ever hear of, about Portland

countrygun
07-29-2013, 23:35
Why has no one mentioned the strip clubs? Never been to any there but that's the only thing I ever hear of, about Portland

Not the same anymore. I was up there a few years ago for the funeral of the pioneer of the business in Portland, Roy Keller. He was a class act. Got out of the Navy and decided to figure out the most profitable business he could. (I never saw him smoke, drink or ever heard him swear, His daughter took over the places in later years.) Owned the Carriage Room and Mary's Club. The Carriage room was a class establishment with real strippers and almost Vaudeville shows in the evening. It was closed when a developer bought the building and leveled it.

After the funeral I hit a couple of the other places and Mary's club ( I hadn't been there in years) It was just young goth/punk type chics listlessly walking across the stage and picking up their tips.

seagravedriver
07-30-2013, 14:16
I have a lot of relatives in OR City and Molala. We lived in WA County for 4 years, and feel the same way. Something happened to that city, the same thing that happened to Seattle. "Keep Portland weird" is a phrase they are proud of. I remember watching the Elections when Dole and Clinton were running. Dole won Oregon until they tallied Multnomah (sp?) County. Stalin could win that county.

Lumber, Fish, steel mills. All gone.

countrygun
07-30-2013, 14:35
Stalin could win that county.

Lumber, Fish, steel mills. All gone.

If he were a vegan crossdresser he'd be mayor for life

Clusterfrack
07-30-2013, 16:19
If he were a vegan crossdresser he'd be mayor for life

That's not fair. After all the small town of Silverton OR is the one with a transgender mayor. http://www.sturasmussen.com/realityCheck.htm

concretefuzzynuts
07-30-2013, 16:42
I lived on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state for many years. And would travel to Oregon from time to time, Portland from time to time.

Like Seattle, Portland has some charm and some beautiful historical buildings. But most of the people, like in Seattle, are vapid 60's throw backs who try to see who can smell the worst. Old stinky wool, covering malnourished, unbathed bodies. Most with a smug, self important attitude. Seattle on steroids.

countrygun
07-30-2013, 16:54
That's not fair. After all the small town of Silverton OR is the one with a transgender mayor. http://www.sturasmussen.com/realityCheck.htm

Ah yes, Silverton, for squirrels that would like to live in Salem but are afraid to come out of the woods.

Kind of the "Twin Peaks" of the Willamette Valley.

There used to be come of the neatest little communities in the valley and the adjacent Tualatin Valley, Silverton was one, Aurora, Canby, Sheridan.

Gray_Rider
08-15-2013, 16:51
Painted over the mural.....

That's about all I need to know.

Gray_Rider

Berto
08-15-2013, 17:05
E Oregon and WA should merge into a new state.

countrygun
08-15-2013, 18:52
E Oregon and WA should merge into a new state.

Well twice in history, one just before WWII Southern Oregon and Northern California almost became "The State of Jefferson".

A lot of the old timers around here said that if the war hadn't come up it stood a better than 50% chance. Unfortunately the post war changes in Portland made the conditions that spurred the idea even WORSE.