A dream--woman-run gun shop! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A dream--woman-run gun shop!

TheTam
04-23-2003, 16:04
As I've gotten into shooting, I have been dismayed by all the sexism I see. When I go into a gun shop, I see the men joking around and being taken seriously, while me...well, they seem to merely tolerate me. I truly wish more women owned gun shops, or worked there. (Not me--I don't have the expertise, and I love my current career, which is writing.)

JeepDriver
04-23-2003, 17:42
There are 4 woman that work at the range/gun shop I go to. Two of them work the counter the other 2 handle the paper work and do the ordering. All of them are very knowledgeable, they know their guns. ;f

Of course one of them is the owners wife, one is the daughter, one is a niece working her way through college, and the last one is the owners son's girlfriend. ;Q (Can you tell I spend quite a bit of time at the range?)

Damn family connections! ;)

darkscribe
04-24-2003, 02:13
I apologize for the boorish behavior of the men in your local gun club. If you have any questions that aren't addressed on GT, PM me (I work as an instructor, when my infantry unit doesn't need me), and I'll either answer your questions, or refer you to someone who can.

This is a personal issue for me. In time, my daughter will grow up, and I want her armed and trained, not discouraged by some gunshop commando. RANT OFF

TheTam
04-24-2003, 13:36
Thanks to both of you for the good sentiments!
I ain't going to be run off, since I'm very stubborn like that, but I can see as where others might be...

ExxoticOne
04-24-2003, 21:40
I haven't had any "discouraging" incidents yet...the guys at the range I go to have been really accomodating and eager to help me out. The thing is, the reason I bought my first gun was because I had a very serious need to protect myself (not from a a probable threat but from a definite one) so..some of the local cops and the owner of the gun shop took extra care in training me.

I'm glad their (hopefully perceived) indifference won't prevent you from going to the range. If they're so uncomfortable with you THEY CAN LEAVE.

TheTam
04-25-2003, 07:08
Oh, no, they won't discourage me at all, and the range isn't where I encounter the sexism--the range guys are great! One of them, in fact, probably saved me from the "automatic thumb remover". I was shooting my Glock, you see, with thumbs crossed behind the slide because I didn't know any better. I now know better!

What I was talking about was shops. And it's not overt sexism, just a lack of the friendliness that they exhibit towards the guys who come in. But they won't discourage me. I'm making an effort to establish a good relationship with my neighborhood gun shop, and maybe they'll warm up when I actually buy something from them. As soon as they get the gun I want in stock, I'll buy it.

But no, I won't be run off. We have a place up near Utopia (450 acres) where I can go shoot, and on Easter weekend CokeCanVille, along with GatoradeBottleTown, was totally decimated. ;) Lots of fun!

Interestingly enough, on Easter weekend, I was the one introducing my husband to pistol shooting. My husband is 6 feet tall and weights (I am not making this up) 106 lbs. That is not a typo--he's got to be the world's skinniest man. He tried to shoot my Ruger SP101 .357 mag double-action, and his long, skinny fingers had a big problem with it. Finally, after much squeezing and milking of the trigger, with no results, he turned to me and announced, "Sweetheart, this gun's jammed or something." I took it, aimed, and a Dr. Pepper can flew in the air. "No, dear, not jammed. Try cocking the hammer first." Then I had mercy on him and let him have the Glock 22, while I shot the SP101. On the plus side, my husband can run like a deer, and competes regularly in adventure racing, where he does very well.

But then, we have a lot of role-reveral in our marriage. I'm the one who opens jars, lifts heavy objects, and fixes the dryer and such.

Life is fun like that. :)

SGT109FA
04-25-2003, 09:35
Hey no problem with a woman owning a gun shop, or working in one. Women are just as capable of running that sort of a business than a man. The only problem is the "belongs barefoot and pregnant crowd" they would make it hard.

geminicricket
04-25-2003, 09:49
Tam, does your G22 have the 3.5# trigger yet?
Have you given it the $.25 internal polish job yet?

If you have both of those, that particular gun will have a safe action light and smooth enough that even your husband, as weak as his hands are, would be able to fire. Holding steady in an aggressive isosceles stance might be more of a challenge for him, though.

Hey, you all come up to Dallas next weekend and participate in a GSSF match. Beginners always welcome and you get treated like family, good family, by the people there. Check it out at www.gssfonline.com under the "hot topics" button.

JohnBrowning
04-29-2003, 15:59
I see this kind of treatment in a couple of the local gunshops I stop in. I don't see it as male / female, though. They treat the folks they know like friends and those they don't as some kind of intruder. Just poor business practice in my book. The amount of money I spend in an establishment is normally proportional to how I'm treated.

TheTam
04-29-2003, 17:49
Gemini,
Actually, my husband had no problem with the Glock--it was the double-action Ruger SP101 .357 mag revolver he had the problem with. It IS a heavy trigger pull. He like the Glock.

By 25 cent internal polish, do you mean just cleaning it and oiling it? I do that about every 300 rounds...

And, are you sure I won't get laughed at at a GSSF match if all my shots aren't 10 ring at 7 yards (although they're all generally within the 1-ring or better.)

--Tam