Did I ripoff Wal-Mart... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Did I ripoff Wal-Mart...

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 14:29
The wife and I went into the local Wal-Mart to buy a new litter-pan for the cat. As were looking at litter pans I see a covered one above a price tag that read $4.36. I thought it was an item that was probably moved on the shelf by a customer or employee as the cheapest conventional litter pan was $7.00, then as I looked at the section it was clear that the section was full and well stocked and then I looked closer at the tag and saw that the tag only said "sv litter pan". So I was pretty sure this litter pan wasn't $4.36 so I looked at the other tags to try and find where this particular pan was supposed to go and there were no empty spots for tanymore pans.

We took the pan to the register and it rang up at $27.00

I immediately protested and said the tag for that pan was $4.36. The cashier called her manager over who said she could not override the price difference. I told her she could go look at the tag for herself so we both walked back and I showed her the tag and the stack of the same pan. She then checks the UPC code on the pan and the price tag and tells me the wrong pans were in that spot and it was my responsibility to check the UPC codes. I told her it wasn't my responsibility to check any codes and it was Wal-Mart's responsibility to market and stock items properly.

I ended up the getting pan for $4.36 and tax. My wife thinks we should have just payed full price. I disagree, it was their error.

What say you?

winchester62
01-18-2014, 14:31
Its walmart. Who cares?

HollowHead
01-18-2014, 14:34
Ask your reflection in the mirror, not us. HH

Dave514
01-18-2014, 14:37
How can you have ripped them off when they agreed to the deal?

That's not the definition of ripping someone off.

At all.

They just bought your return patronage. It's worth that to them. They will make the money back from you as a happy return customer.

Knowing it wasn't 4.36... A little sketchy in my book.

true believer
01-18-2014, 14:38
Its walmart. Who cares?

bingo..
:supergrin:

dryfly
01-18-2014, 14:40
Karma .... it can be a ***** Dale. :whistling::wavey:

OrangePwr9
01-18-2014, 14:43
$27 for a litter pan seems pretty steep. I'd have said I didn't want it at that price and sprung for the cheap one.

10sRin
01-18-2014, 14:48
Mistakes happen. You should have either paid the correct price, or declined to buy.

Henry's Dad
01-18-2014, 14:49
Yes, you did rip them off. I don't care if it's Walmart or some little mom and pop store. The principle doesn't change. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Yes, Walmart agreed to the deal to shut you up and keep the line moving, but I hope you get stuck behind someone who makes the same scene the next time you're in a hurry.

BTW, most of us probably have WM as part of our 401k portfolio, so thanks for screwing with the profits of a company whose success I'm relying on.

itisbruno
01-18-2014, 14:52

Does he have a reflection

:headscratch:

:tbo:

winchester62
01-18-2014, 14:54
Yes, you did rip them off. I don't care if it's Walmart or some little mom and pop store. The principle doesn't change. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Yes, Walmart agreed to the deal to shut you up and keep the line moving, but I hope you get stuck behind someone who makes the same scene the next time you're in a hurry.

BTW, most of us probably have WM as part of our 401k portfolio, so thanks for screwing with the profits of a company whose success I'm relying on.
:rofl: Irony. It's ironic.

stolenphot0
01-18-2014, 14:55
they have the price check things all over the store, so you could have checked the price before you went to the register if you were at any time, unsure.

Psychman
01-18-2014, 14:59

Agreed. I bet Henry is proud of you. I always wonder why somebody(the OP) would post something like this on an open forum.

jtmac
01-18-2014, 15:01
There is false advertising, and then there are honest mistakes.

That was an honest mistake. Assuming it would not be an issue with state law, they should have simply refused to sell it to you, fit pitched or not, and you would be in the wrong for pushing the issue.

Of course, they did sell it to you in the end, so it's a done deal. Since they sold it in the end, it is simply a case of, as The Dude said, "You're not wrong, you're just an *******."

1-2man
01-18-2014, 15:02
If this continues on a national scale, Wal-mart will have to raise ALL their prices to compensate for all the short comings and you'll be paying higher prices. :whistling: :supergrin:

fireguy129
01-18-2014, 15:03
They advertised an item at a price. They have the duty to price it correctly.

FourthPointOfContact
01-18-2014, 15:09
1) The price tag also has the UPC as well as the price, so it's not mis-marked.

2) The price on the tag is technically an "an invitation to bargain" or "invitation to treat" it's not a binding offer, you can always offer the store a lower price (yeah, not like the store is gonna accept, but that's a technicality.)

3) Someone, WallyWorld, some nameless customer, you, an extraterrestrial. put the litter pan in the wrong spot. If someone puts a filet mignon steak in with the candy section where the price is $1.00 is that the price of the steak now?
4) You were sold the misplaced-but-not-mismarked item at the reduced cost because it's easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Had you not been given the discount, there's a possibility that WallyWorld would lose your visits (and money) forever or at least for a period longer than the missed profits on that one item would cover.

Did you rip them off? No.
Were you given a reduced price when it was not required? Yes.
Did anyone do anything wrong? Not enough to worry more than 3 minutes over, no.

SGT HATRED
01-18-2014, 15:18
Same thing happened to be at a quick trip. I ended up paying 9$ and change for a 30 pack of Coors. Except when I notified the cashier she basically insisted on me paying that price. I felt bad and told her multiple times. She just thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Psychman
01-18-2014, 15:23
Same thing happened to be at a quick trip. I ended up paying 9$ and change for a 30 pack of Coors. Except when I notified the cashier she basically insisted on me paying that price. I felt bad and told her multiple times. She just thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it OP. :rofl:

OldSchool64
01-18-2014, 15:28
Pretty much the same thing happened to me, items placed on wrong hook. Bought two of them and the the price difference was close to $20.
Went back with a manager and the UPC tag told the story, someone screwed-up, I paid the correct price.

Those of us who believe in karma know it can be a powerful thing.

PaulMason
01-18-2014, 15:29
I ended up the getting pan for $4.36 and tax. My wife thinks we should have just payed full price. I disagree, it was their error.

What say you?

If the roles were reversed - you were the seller, not the buy - would you agree that it was your error and the buyer should get the lower price?

I agree with your wife - WM intent was't to defraud or lie to you, it was a error.

By the way, all consumers pay for thief and other errors in higher prices.

racerford
01-18-2014, 15:33
You probably saved them more money than the discount by pointing their error out. They would have had problems all day. They would have had unhappy customers and had the labor cost of all the litter pans having to be restocked that were left at the checkout.

Walmart (and other stores) are infamous for charging a different (read slightly higher price) than the shelf marked prices. You usually do not notice. Have you ever gotten a credit on you credit card with an apology from Walmart. I know I haven't. When they do that they are "ripping you off".

It is their responsibility to properly tag their products and make sure the price in their POS systems match the shelf price and intended selling price.

You pointed their error out, they decided to sell at that price. You did not "rip them off". They compensated you for your consultant work of correcting their error. Perhaps you should report it on your 2014 income taxes to avoid being a tax cheat next year.

If you had removed a tag from one product ad placed on another to get a reduced price, that would be ripping them off and decidedly wrong. Actually, it would be a crime in many if not all locales.

Sleep well, you performed a community service.

Bruce M
01-18-2014, 15:33
I would think that a $27 litter tray ought to reach up and lick the cat at the end.

relayman
01-18-2014, 15:41
Slow news day .

certifiedfunds
01-18-2014, 15:41
You should donate the different to the Human Fund to keep karma off of your back

happy seal
01-18-2014, 15:43
Bet you wished you didn't start this thread heh Dale?

Gotta love the Lounge!

M&P15T
01-18-2014, 15:43
Of course you did. You threw a tantrum, acted like a self-important snow-flake that was owed something, and Walmart did what they had to do to get you the hell out of their store.

M&P15T
01-18-2014, 15:46
You probably saved them more money than the discount by pointing their error out. They would have had problems all day....snip......Sleep well, you performed a community service.

Companies are bad. Companies are evil. Profits are bad. Profits are evil. Occupy everything.

2bgop
01-18-2014, 15:46
They agreed to sell it to you for that price, so I don't feel sorry for them. I would have told you piss off, but I don't run a Wal-Mart either.

Adjuster
01-18-2014, 15:49
You probably saved them more money than the discount by pointing their error out. They would have had problems all day. They would have had unhappy customers and had the labor cost of all the litter pans having to be restocked that were left at the checkout.

Walmart (and other stores) are infamous for charging a different (read slightly higher price) than the shelf marked prices. You usually do not notice. Have you ever gotten a credit on you credit card with an apology from Walmart. I know I haven't. When they do that they are "ripping you off".

It is their responsibility to properly tag their products and make sure the price in their POS systems match the shelf price and intended selling price.

You pointed their error out, they decided to sell at that price. You did not "rip them off". They compensated you for your consultant work of correcting their error. Perhaps you should report it on your 2014 income taxes to avoid being a tax cheat next year.

If you had removed a tag from one product ad placed on another to get a reduced price, that would be ripping them off and decidedly wrong. Actually, it would be a crime in many if not all locales.

Sleep well, you performed a community service.

The product was not miss marked, the product had the correct UPC code. Any cashier or price check station would have given the correct price. The shelf was miss marked or the product was on the wrong shelf. A mistake by a WalMart employee or a customer moved the product or more likely as stated above an extraterrestrial moved the product into the wrong spot.

/

OldSchool64
01-18-2014, 15:52
Here's a thought, remember the old saying;
"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is"

The exception to that rule is when you have other rules in your favor.

And, what are rules for anyway?
Break the ones you want and use the ones in your favor :supergrin:

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 15:52

It's Wal-Mart, I'm cool with it. Had it been a mom and pop, probably not. And yes I know, that's very hypocritical.

Karma .... it can be a ***** Dale. :whistling::wavey:

That thought did hit me as well and as we were on the way out I thought "Man, I hope I don't get hit by a car in the parking lot!"

I did know what I was doing and I won't claim otherwise. I said something similar in the original post. I knew it wasn't a $4.36 litter pan. I also knew what Wal-Mart's policy was from past experiences with the same issue.

they have the price check things all over the store, so you could have checked the price before you went to the register if you were at any time, unsure.

Agreed.

Agreed. I bet Henry is proud of you. I always wonder why somebody(the OP) would post something like this on an open forum.

Conversation, debate, other opinions.

Since they sold it in the end, it is simply a case of, as The Dude said, "You're not wrong, you're just an *******."

You're swell to! :supergrin:

I was once given an extra $20 by a bank teller. I gave it back so I'm not a total scumbag. Their have been many other instances of honesty. As with most people I'm neither totally good nor kinda evil. I've done bad things but the majority of the time I'm pretty moral as opposed to amoral.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, items placed on wrong hook. Bought two of them and the the price difference was close to $20.
Went back with a manager and the UPC tag told the story, someone screwed-up, I paid the correct price.

Those of us who believe in karma know it can be a powerful thing.

That someone was an employee. At what point does it become a store's issue and not just a mistake?

OldSchool64
01-18-2014, 15:57
That someone was an employee. At what point does it become a store's issue and not just a mistake?

It becomes the stores issue when they have to sell it for waaaay less than the UPC sticker price :dunno:

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:02
Of course you did. You threw a tantrum, acted like a self-important snow-flake that was owed something, and Walmart did what they had to do to get you the hell out of their store.

Says the man who recently got kicked out of the gun store! :supergrin:

But no, I was far from tantrum mode and spoke in a soft tone the whole time, intentionally. I have an intimidating presence and consciously work to appear less threatening when having normal interactions with normal people. The cashier even told me to have a nice day.

You should donate the different to the Human Fund to keep karma off of your back

Karma can be funny. Maybe some karma was directing me on the cat aisle in it's efforts to exact revenge on Wal-Mart for some of there previous misdeeds?

While in the produce section on another store stop today I helped an old man with a neurological deficit with getting an item and putting it in one of those annoying bags. Does that act of kindness cancel out my litter pan dastardly deed?

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:04
It becomes the stores issue when they have to sell it for waaaay less than the UPC sticker price :dunno:

Point taken, I should have worded that better.

Allow me to rephrase then. At what point does the store become responsible?

JMS
01-18-2014, 16:04
A while back (2008 ish?) I heard ammo prices were going to go up at Wal-Mart so I went to stock up. The prices on the shelf reflected the old price but when I went to check out it reflected the new price.

The cashier stated she couldn't honor the old price, so I asked for a manager to come over. The manager, while not happy, did agree that state law said they have to honor the shelf price. She said as soon as I checked out she will change the shelf price accordingly.

When they asked me how many boxes I wanted 1 or 2, I told them everything :supergrin: I think I walked out with 30 boxes of Winchester 100 pack 9mm, etc, etc. (Again this was awhile back, nothing to be found nowadays.)

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:08
Bet you wished you didn't start this thread heh Dale?

Gotta love the Lounge!

I knew I would be loved by some and loathed by others. Such is life and I'm cool with that. :cool:

arclight610
01-18-2014, 16:11
Not only would I have demanded the $4 price, I would have went back and gotten the rest and demand $4 for those too.

OldSchool64
01-18-2014, 16:11
Karma can be funny. Maybe some karma was directing me on the cat aisle in it's efforts to exact revenge on Wal-Mart for some of there previous misdeeds?

While in the produce section on another store stop today I helped an old man with a neurological deficit with getting an item and putting it in one of those annoying bags. Does that act of kindness cancel out my litter pan dastardly deed?

I've re-thunk my position, Dale is my hero.

Point taken, I should have worded that better.

Allow me to rephrase then. At what point does the store become responsible?

Responsibility seems to be a tough call now days.
Not going to get into that one here and now .

M&P15T
01-18-2014, 16:13

But no, I was far from tantrum mode and spoke in a soft tone the whole time, intentionally. I have an intimidating presence and consciously work to appear less threatening when having normal interactions with normal people. The cashier even told me to have a nice day.

I didn't get kicked out.....I stormed out as I was throwing a tantrum.:rofl::rofl:

furioso2112
01-18-2014, 16:17
For a while, perhaps ongoing, in MI or maybe even nwtionwide, if an item at a retailer was marked higher than it rang up andyou paid for it , if you brought it to the retailers attention, it was required to pay the consumer ten times the difference. By not knowing this law, you saved WM 10 bucks, and notified it of its error

ray9898
01-18-2014, 16:19
Common sense says look at the last 4 of the bar code to match the shelf tag to the label or visit one of the handy scanners all over the store. You got it for the wrong price because of your temper tantrum even though you knew from the beginning it could not be the right price. If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with?

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:34
I've re-thunk my position, Dale is my hero.

I sense some sarcasm.

czsmithGT
01-18-2014, 16:37
What say you?

Yes, you ripped them off. If you didn't know that, you would not have asked.

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:37
Common sense says look at the last 4 of the bar code to match the shelf tag to the label or visit one of the handy scanners all over the store. You got it for the wrong price because of your temper tantrum even though you knew from the beginning it could not be the right price. If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with?

Again, I was polite and no tantrum was thrown. And I wasn't dishonest, I didn't lie by saying the item was in a place with a tag that said $4.36, I didn't move it there, I even looked to see where else it could possibly go and as I said the area was well stocked with nowhere else for this item to go, so how was I dishonest?

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:38
Yes, you ripped them off. If you didn't know that, you would not have asked.

From time to time we all need a gauge to measure our own moral compass against.

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 16:39
Not only would I have demanded the $4 price, I would have went back and gotten the rest and demand $4 for those too.

That might have been a little much.

certifiedfunds
01-18-2014, 16:48

I believe this ethical dilemma calls for a poll.

OldSchool64
01-18-2014, 16:52

Not a bad idea.

What ya think Dale?
Pretty sure you would have to ask and request it, then someone else could see that it happens. Been there done that, but not this time.

The Maggy
01-18-2014, 16:56
God, I miss QT

PaulMason
01-18-2014, 17:02
If the roles were reversed - you were the seller, not the buy - would you agree that it was your error and the buyer should get the lower price?

I agree with your wife - WM intent was't to defraud or lie to you, it was a error.

Wait, what ...

BlueEyes
01-18-2014, 17:08
http://biblegodquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bible-god-quotes-531.jpg

BlueEyes
01-18-2014, 17:08
Think about it - write a check to WM and thank your wife for her advise.

racerford
01-18-2014, 17:19
Companies are bad. Companies are evil. Profits are bad. Profits are evil. Occupy everything.

You are so funny, and so wrong. I am the personification of the big company.

I understand that they have a responsibility for the actions of their employees. When things get screwed up, even if it is one employees mistake, the company tries to make it right sometimes it might cost millions to make it right.

$23 is nothing to learn that either procedures, or people need to change to remain profitable.

If a cashier gives me the extra change I return it. So it is not about getting one over on the "big company".

If I have to spend time to correct a store's mistake, it costs me time. My time has value, maybe yours doesn't. At my billing rate, $23 is cheap. The store should have apologized profusely for wasting his time.

sigman69
01-18-2014, 17:27
Its walmart. Who cares?

Exactly....

PaulMason
01-18-2014, 17:30

I understand that they have a responsibility for the actions of their employees. When things get screwed up, even if it is one employees mistake, the company tries to make it right sometimes it might cost millions to make it right.

$23 is nothing to learn that either procedures, or people need to change to remain profitable.

If a cashier gives me the extra change I return it. So it is not about getting one over on the "big company".

If I have to spend time to correct a store's mistake, it costs me time. My time has value, maybe yours doesn't. At my billing rate, $23 is cheap. The store should have apologized profusely for wasting his time.

All the OP had to say at the cash register is the sticker on the shelf says $4.36 when he was charged the higher price.

He could then choose to pay the higher price or not.

paul45
01-18-2014, 17:41
I have an intimidating presence and consciously work to appear less threatening when having normal interactions with normal people.

Forget Walmart, a litter pan, moral/ethical questions.....

THIS is by far the MOST laughable statement on the entire forum....at least for a couple minutes.

Do you also speak in a "deep, resonating voice"?

*ASH*
01-18-2014, 17:41
open carry would have prevented this .

Qman2
01-18-2014, 17:44
You were 100% in the right. You thought it was that price because of how it was labeled on the counter. That's not your fault!

ray9898
01-18-2014, 17:51
Again, I was polite and no tantrum was thrown. And I wasn't dishonest, I didn't lie by saying the item was in a place with a tag that said $4.36, I didn't move it there, I even looked to see where else it could possibly go and as I said the area was well stocked with nowhere else for this item to go, so how was I dishonest?

You knew it was not that price to begin with and it was obviously in error. It could also easily be verified by the bar code number on both the product sticker and the price sticker or by using the portable scanners all over the store. For me, intentionally looking to get one over on the retailer just because you can is poor form. I strive to be honest with myself above all.

NAS T MAG
01-18-2014, 17:51
I would have kicked the cat to the curb and saved face and $4.36.:rofl:

hoghunter82
01-18-2014, 17:55
Ethics and integrity do not need an internet poll...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 18:14

Not a bad idea.

What ya think Dale?
Pretty sure you would have to ask and request it, then someone else could see that it happens. Been there done that, but not this time.

I have no intention of asking for a poll but if someone else wants to I have no issue with it whatsoever and it's perfectly fine with me.

Forget Walmart, a litter pan, moral/ethical questions.....

THIS is by far the MOST laughable statement on the entire forum....at least for a couple minutes.

Do you also speak in a "deep, resonating voice"?

I'm not being funny, I seriously intimidate people sometimes. I do have a booming voice and have to consciously work at talking in softer tones. I was successful in law enforcement and became a supervisor quickly because of my "command presence". My build and general appearance contribute to that. I'm a big guy with a bald head and long beard and that intimidates some people.

open carry would have prevented this .

Concealed only for me. The last thing I want is an indecent exposure charge. :supergrin:

I would have kicked the cat to the curb and saved face and $4.36.:rofl:

That has been discussed. Cats are a pain in the ass. They leave the litter box and walk all over the counters and furniture with cat piss and poop on their paws. he's also destroyed an ottoman and a chair. The kids love him.

M&P15T

Quit being a drama queen. At your billing rate, you shouldn't waste such time and emotive energy.

fusegsp
$27 for a litter pan seems pretty steep. I think $27 is steep for a cat.

PaulMason
01-18-2014, 18:17
A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him for $23.

She says yes!

He ask if she would still be willing to sleep with him for $4.29.

The woman is greatly offended.

She: "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

He: "We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price."

certifiedfunds
01-18-2014, 18:26
No one to blame Dale for the rest of us having to pay higher prices?

ede
01-18-2014, 18:50
Been a few years since I been in a Krogers but it use to be if the price that rang up was different than the advertised sale price or the posted price they gave it to you.

Dennis in MA
01-18-2014, 19:00

Might as well - it ain't worth drinking.

I keeeed!!!!!

DaleGribble
01-18-2014, 19:48
No one to blame Dale for the rest of us having to pay higher prices?

Feel free to be the first, no skin off my nose. I started the thread, I asked for opinions, I get what I get and I'm a big boy. I can take it.

Feel free to blame Wal-Mart for their mistake as well?

On a related note, this same thing happened about a year ago, only with ammo, during the peak of the crisis. I saw a 25 round box of Estate 00 buck, in the locked case with a price tag of $5.00. I asked the clerk how many boxes I could get @ $5.00 and she said none. I took a picture of the situation with my cell phone. Once I did that the clerk scrambled to move the ammo.

I emailed corporate and informed them of the picture I took of the ammo, behind a locked case and the refusal of the clerk to sell me the item at that price. The assistant manager called me two days later, apologized and said he would sell me one box at the price on the photo I had. I turned him down and told him I should be allowed three boxes since that was the limit on ammo.

The retailer deserves some of the responsibility as well.

Forgive any typos, I've had a few and I'm going to bed. I'll see yall in the mornin! :supergrin:

certifiedfunds
01-18-2014, 19:50
Feel free to be the first, no skin off my nose. I started the thread, I asked for opinions, I get what I get and I'm a big boy. I can take it.

On a related note, this same thing happened about a year ago, only with ammo, during the peak of the crisis. I saw a 25 round box of Estate 00 buck, in the locked case with a price tag of $5.00. I asked the clerk how many boxes I could get @ $5.00 and she said none. I took a picture of the situation with my cell phone. Once I did that the clerk scrambled to move the ammo.

I emailed corporate and informed them of the picture I took of the ammo, behind a locked case and the refusal of the clerk to sell me the item at that price. The assistant manager called me two days later, apologized and said he would sell me one box at the price on the photo I had. I turned him down and told him I should be allowed three boxes since that was the limit on ammo.

Forgive any typos, I've had a few and I'm going to bed. I'll see yall in the mornin! :supergrin:

I should probably clarify that I'm not taking a position on your purchase. More so I'm finding humor in those that are.

Retailers have gotten lazy about maintaining proper shelf labeling and inventories. It annoys me. I think what you did was great.

hoghunter82
01-18-2014, 19:54

WTF? Do you spend your days in Wal Mart looking for pricing errors? You gotta get a hobby or something.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dave514
01-18-2014, 19:59
Replace "litter box" with "brick of .22 shells".... Does anyone's feelings change?

Dave514
01-18-2014, 20:01
That's supposed to be funny. Easy with the flames.

certifiedfunds
01-18-2014, 20:01
Replace "litter box" with "brick of .22 shells".... Does anyone's feelings change?

They'd be cheering so long as he didn't try to resell them at "price gouging" levels

IGotIt
01-18-2014, 20:07
Yes, you could have opted for a cheaper one. Your cat wouldn't know the difference.

FLIPPER 348
01-18-2014, 20:12

What say you?

I say you wife was correct and you know you got away with not paying full price. You found 'fault' with someone else but a man is known by his integrity.

eccho
01-18-2014, 20:13
How can you have ripped them off when they agreed to the deal?

That's not the definition of ripping someone off.

At all.

They just bought your return patronage. It's worth that to them. They will make the money back from you as a happy return customer.

Knowing it wasn't 4.36... A little sketchy in my book.

Not being an expert on litter pans, i think ive seen them that cheap at places like dollar tree before.

I'm picturing a cheap plastic bin that was probably made in china for like 15 cents.

They could have just said no.

Some stores do have clearly written "price accuracy guarantee" policies.

Its not like say, they had a thousand round case of 5.56 for 40 dollars and you KNEW it was a huge mistake.

*ASH*
01-18-2014, 20:18
I say you wife was correct and you know you got away with not paying full price. You found 'fault' with someone else but a man is known by his integrity.

irony . didnt you vote for obama ? and obama and intergrity dont go in same sentence .

FLIPPER 348
01-18-2014, 20:22
A while back (2008 ish?)

When they asked me how many boxes I wanted 1 or 2, I told them everything :supergrin: I think I walked out with 30 boxes of Winchester 100 pack 9mm, etc, etc. (Again this was awhile back, nothing to be found nowadays.)

I'll bet you were real proud of yourself.

Troubled Gecko
01-18-2014, 20:23
If Walmart staff recognized the error and agreed to the price of the sale it was a straight up deal. I would've done the same as the OP and slept like a baby that night.

Look it, I just bought a Oral B precision 1000 electric toothbrush online @ Walmart (store pick up at lay away desk) for $26.00. The VERY SAME toothbrush bought off their store shelf cost $64.00 !!! I asked the manager and others why such a difference? I don't know across the board was all I got from 4 employees. Seems many of the prices at the online Walmart are much cheaper. Walmart doesn't match its' own online pricing either! In other words, you're in the store want a product off the shelf you pay that price period-even if their very same product online is way cheaper. This is their policy, I understand it. Am I getting screwed if I buy off the shelf? NO. I knowingly agree to pay more this way hence my problem. The shoppers that are unaware of this selling practice and only buy off the shelf are they getting screwed? You decide.

Rick C
01-18-2014, 20:29
Jeez, Dale.
I'm sure you've heard that before, but to reiterate, Jeez Dale.:rofl:
You have a multi-page thread over a Wal-Mart cat dump box.
Did they ask you for a receipt at the door?
Winning!

Jakestir
01-18-2014, 20:37
They made the mistake and they agreed with it. Wasn't like you swapped the price tags or something. Good score nuff said.

FLIPPER 348
01-18-2014, 20:43
Good score nuff said.

good score??

HollowHead
01-18-2014, 20:48
good score??

To those who expect something for nothing, yes. HH

Zonny
01-18-2014, 20:50
<-------couldn't do it. I walked out of a store a couple of weeks ago without paying for a small dustpan/broom combo. 4-5 dollars max and I had spent a couple of hundred. I had several larger items that I had left in the cart at checkout and it was buried. I walked back in and stood in line to pay for it.

meleors
01-18-2014, 20:55
Been a few years since I been in a Krogers but it use to be if the price that rang up was different than the advertised sale price or the posted price they gave it to you.

A few years ago, our local grocery chain (Jewel) had the same policy. Wrong price rings up, item is free.

One day I was grocery shopping and I went down the aisle that has the frozen pizzas. One brand that was normally priced at $2.99 was now tagged at $0.99. I thought "Wow, they must want to clear out these pizzas."
I grabbed 10. Why not? 10 pizzas for $10!
At checkout, the price rang up as $2.99 ea.
I alerted the cashier and a manager went to check the shelf price. She came back with the shelf tag and verified it against the UPC codes on the pizzas.
She then gave me all ten for free.

Not long after that, they changed the policy. Only 1 free item per pricing error.

Yes, I really enjoyed my free pizzas! :supergrin:

Lady Glock
01-18-2014, 21:03
Price guarantee...I use to work at Wal-mart as a cashier. We were under order to honor the price that was on the shelf with the product. If the customer got through my line with an item that was an overpayment from the listed price, they would be reimbursed the total price of the item and recieve it for free.

Rick C
01-18-2014, 21:03
We’ve all been there and done the right thing (life is long). In this particular case, I would so not pay $27 for a cat dump box if it was marked incorrectly.

9jeeps
01-18-2014, 21:06
The bane of situational ethics is a strong moral compass.

Dale; I've been ENJOYING your post for many years.

You got a deal....... end of story.
:wavey:

THEPOPE
01-18-2014, 21:06

So true, HH, as this is a simple ethics call...4 pages long for such an easy decision.

To rationalize it as anything else , well, fruit-less.

lol, at Gander Mtn. I pointed out that a box of 'value' ammo cost considerably MORE than the 50 round boxes of same ammo, he just shrugged ....

I am outsy...:cool:

racerford
01-18-2014, 22:56
All the OP had to say at the cash register is the sticker on the shelf says $4.36 when he was charged the higher price.

He could then choose to pay the higher price or not.

He chose to negotiate with a company representative. They agreed to his price.

They chose to sell it to him at $4.36. He performed no deceit.

racerford
01-18-2014, 23:05
Quit being a drama queen. At your billing rate, you shouldn't waste such time and emotive energy.

Not a drama queen. I expect of others what I expect of my self. I expect them to do their job correctly.

Walmart has been surveyed repeatedly and the cashier register is not the shelf price (what you and I are told we will be paying) more than it should be. Their accuracy should exceed three nines. It does not. Only through pointing out their errors will they improve and stop over-charging their customers.

It is OK with me if you are happy with poor quality service. I choose not to be, even at Walmart. If you tolerate poor quality service you will continue to get it.

plumbum2
01-18-2014, 23:08
Its walmart. Who cares?

, yeah, besides being the demise of murica. sad part is they STILL made profit off of what you paid:rofl:

cgwahl
01-19-2014, 00:30
They advertised an item at a price. They have the duty to price it correctly.

Most stores will honor the advertised price out of courtesy, but they are not under obligation to.

itstime
01-19-2014, 00:43
I would say you didn't rip them off but you knew what you did and you know you were wrong. They have scanners in the stores. In our stores you had to pass at least one to get to the registers.

Simply put. If you have to ask you already know the answer.

fnfalman
01-19-2014, 00:45
I told her it wasn't my responsibility to check any codes and it was Wal-Mart's responsibility to market and stock items properly.

Yep. If they put a price on an item, then I expect them to honor it.

bambi
01-19-2014, 01:30
The amount of the money is irrelevant. You posted on here knowingly that you screwed someone over and got away with it. I would not want you as a friend. It would only be a matter of time until you stole from me. I've had to give up friends before that bragged about screwing over the insurance, or Menard's or whatever. It's stunning, how all the people that proclaim to hate thieves and liars are silent on this issue. You knowingly say that the price was way out of line. You are a thief and a liar. No matter how much you try and justify your behavior by your other good deeds, you are an EPIC fail on this one. 2 rights, don't make a wrong ok. What an *****hole. You showed your true colors, that's for sure.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 02:13
The amount of the money is irrelevant. You posted on here knowingly that you screwed someone over and got away with it. I would not want you as a friend. It would only be a matter of time until you stole from me. I've had to give up friends before that bragged about screwing over the insurance, or Menard's or whatever. It's stunning, how all the people that proclaim to hate thieves and liars are silent on this issue. You knowingly say that the price was way out of line. You are a thief and a liar. No matter how much you try and justify your behavior by your other good deeds, you are an EPIC fail on this one. 2 rights, don't make a wrong ok. What an *****hole. You showed your true colors, that's for sure.

Pahhhhleeese. The other party (Wal-MArt) agreed to the transaction, that is not stealing. They probably still made money at $4.36.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 02:16
I would have just not bought it so I did not hold up the line for a price check. Them having to restock it might have prompted them to fix it.

As far as comparing the UPC, I have been in plenty of stores where the tag on the shelf has the SKU or some other code not the UPC so you cannot get it to match without and NSA code breaking computer.

Yes, those stupid scanners are everywhere until you need when, then try to find one.

The Karma court finds you guilty of wasting the time of the poor people in line behind you. Your sentence is to wait inline behind someone else doing the same thing when you are in a hurry and have to go to the bathroom.

*ASH*
01-19-2014, 04:06
i got a sneaky feeling some folks in this thread smoke in rental cars :whistling:

somojoe
01-19-2014, 06:32
So, how's the cat liking it's new crapper? Does he/she start humming the Jefferson's theme song every trip to the box?

I wouldn't have went through all the troubles you did over it. If it was obviously not marked right or rang up different than I wanted to pay I'd let em keep it.

silversport
01-19-2014, 06:39
Mistakes happen. You should have either paid the correct price, or declined to buy.

this...

Bill

paul45
01-19-2014, 08:35
<-------couldn't do it. I walked out of a store a couple of weeks ago without paying for a small dustpan/broom combo. 4-5 dollars max and I had spent a couple of hundred. I had several larger items that I had left in the cart at checkout and it was buried. I walked back in and stood in line to pay for it.

I applaud your ethics.

Bravo!

Cybercowboy
01-19-2014, 08:50
I have never asked a store to sell me something at a lower price than they were willing to sell it, due to a mistake. YMMV

Marcus Unrealious
01-19-2014, 09:08
I have to say that 20 years ago Americans would have accepted the mistake and paid the price. The UPC was on the item, and on the price sticker at the shelf (if one was present). Further, Walmart has scanners in the stores to be able to self check pricing.

It was not a mistake with an advertised price. It was not a mistake with a mislabeled item. It was a mistake in the stock placement.

So did you rip them off? Maybe not. Did you contribute to what is wrong with Americans nowadays? Yes.

racerford
01-19-2014, 09:10

You have called the man a liar. Where was the part that he lied? Provide a cite or apologize.

You called the man a thief. Please explain how he is a thief. He did not re-price the item and try to deceive them. He asked them to sell it to him at the shelf price. The agreed. Willing buyer, willing seller. Walmart had every right and ability to refuse to sell the item at that price. They chose to sell it to him at that price. No theft took place. No force or deceit took place.

I am not sure he would want friends that would make false accusations against him. Do your friends know you do this?

Cybercowboy
01-19-2014, 09:13
I have to say that 20 years ago Americans would have accepted the mistake and paid the price. The UPC was on the item, and on the price sticker at the shelf (if one was present). Further, Walmart has scanners in the stores to be able to self check pricing.

It was not a mistake with an advertised price. It was not a mistake with a mislabeled item. It was a mistake in the stock placement.

So did you rip them off? Maybe not. Did you contribute to what is wrong with Americans nowadays? Yes.

When I first met my wife's family, her grandfather had gone to the grocery store and bought the week's groceries for him and his wife. He went over the receipt when he got home (Lord knows he had the time for this, retired from the railroad and all) and found that they had undercharged him by 5 cents. He drove back to the grocery store, found the manager, and gave him a nickle. That impressed me, but didn't really surprise me. People did that 30 years ago.

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 09:16

I suppose all of you folks buy cars at sticker price.

wizzi01
01-19-2014, 09:17
For a while, perhaps ongoing, in MI or maybe even nwtionwide, if an item at a retailer was marked higher than it rang up andyou paid for it , if you brought it to the retailers attention, it was required to pay the consumer ten times the difference. By not knowing this law, you saved WM 10 bucks, and notified it of its error

The bar code has to match. It can't just be something placed in the wrong area.

blastfact
01-19-2014, 09:21
OP did you enjoy ripping off the biggest retail junk dealer in the world?

Once one takes the needed action to never shop at Wal-Mart. One sheds themselves of the trash in the world.

Cybercowboy
01-19-2014, 09:26
I suppose all of you folks buy cars at sticker price.

Apples and oranges. There is an expectation that the price for a new car is negotiable. Not so for most other stores. Haggling is one thing. Demanding a discount due to a simple mistake is totally different.

FLIPPER 348
01-19-2014, 09:55
You have called the man a liar. Where was the part that he lied? Provide a cite or apologize.

You called the man a thief. Please explain how he is a thief.

if you have to ask then your values are in line with the OP's.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 10:00
I should probably clarify that I'm not taking a position on your purchase. More so I'm finding humor in those that are.

Retailers have gotten lazy about maintaining proper shelf labeling and inventories. It annoys me. I think what you did was great.

I'm finding humor in Dale - he just keep running away from himself.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 10:04

I have to agree. I'm sure Dale is one of those people who complain about all those who have EBT cards and the steak they buy with them.

Yet, he would never consider himself a 'taker'. I'm guessing that is because he can't figure out how to get a EBT card ... yet!

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:04

We would have heard a lot of "Nice find!" but I think I would have gotten a lot of the same responses.

They'd be cheering so long as he didn't try to resell them at "price gouging" levels

Ahh, one of the things you and I actually agree on. I've learned a lot about my fellow gun owners since this crisis happened. "It's my right to own guns. FREEDOM! 'MERICA &%$# YEAH!" But when it comes to free markets it's all "IT's not fair, they're wrong, I'm entitled to that ammo at a fair price! Followed by a bunch of whining and sniveling and Barack blaming when in fact the whiners are causing this problem to continue at an unabated pace over a year later. Stop paying inflated prices and stop demanding retailers cowtow to communist demands for "fair prices" and this ammo shortage will self correct in a month and prices will adjust accordingly. But it's easier to cry. :upeyes:

Dennis in MA
01-19-2014, 10:09
Price guarantee...I use to work at Wal-mart as a cashier. We were under order to honor the price that was on the shelf with the product. If the customer got through my line with an item that was an overpayment from the listed price, they would be reimbursed the total price of the item and recieve it for free.

Shhhh. The self righteous don't need you quoting Wal Mart policies that support Dale in this. Just like the guy that got 30 boxes of WWB for advertised price because of a silly state law. Lol

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:11
Jeez, Dale.
I'm sure you've heard that before, but to reiterate, Jeez Dale.:rofl:
You have a multi-page thread over a Wal-Mart cat dump box.
Did they ask you for a receipt at the door?
Winning!

I love multi-page threads.

And if they had asked me for my receipt I would have drawn down on 'em while hollering "FREEDOM" ala William Wallace after being disemboweled! :supergrin:

If Walmart staff recognized the error and agreed to the price of the sale it was a straight up deal. I would've done the same as the OP and slept like a baby that night.

Some people are under the impression I used force to steal the item and threw a tantrum. How asking a store to follow their policy is a tantrum is beyond me. The fact that the store agreed to abide by their mistake is lost on some. But thanks for exercising some logic. :supergrin:

Say's the man supports higher taxes and government freebies. It's your right to support how you choose just like it's my right to negotiate a price and take your opinions with a grain of salt because of your moral relativism. Nothing personal, just how I see you and your beliefs.

Yes, you could have opted for a cheaper one. Your cat wouldn't know the difference.

I would have known the difference and the cost savings.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:16
He chose to negotiate with a company representative. They agreed to his price.

They chose to sell it to him at $4.36. He performed no deceit.

Yeah, no deceit or force was used. It was a mutual agreement.

The bane of situational ethics is a strong moral compass.

Dale; I've been ENJOYING your post for many years.

You got a deal....... end of story.
:wavey:

Thank you sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

A policy supporting my assertions, imagine that. Thank you. :wavey:

true believer
01-19-2014, 10:16
has any one seen my new red hat?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:21

Calm down before you have a seizure.

They did agree to the sale but if I'm your boogeyman, ok. Have a nice day. :wavey:

Yep. If they put a price on an item, then I expect them to honor it.

And according to many, that makes you a thief. Never mind the fact that they have every right to refuse the sale.

I would say you didn't rip them off but you knew what you did and you know you were wrong. They have scanners in the stores. In our stores you had to pass at least one to get to the registers.

Simply put. If you have to ask you already know the answer.

How was I wrong for asking them to honor the price an employee placed there? And if I didn't rip them off how was I wrong?

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:32
I have never asked a store to sell me something at a lower price than they were willing to sell it, due to a mistake. YMMV

Sure you haven't. :upeyes: You pay full price for everything, good for you. I will try to haggle the cost of a pack of gum if I think it's possible to save some money. And if you ever asked a car dealer to reduce a price you did the same thing I did yesterday.

Suppose the sticker price on a car is low by $10,000 are you going to ask the dealer to honor their price when they say they messed up and want to charge you $10,000 more? If they offer to honor their sticker price are you going to turn them down?

i got a sneaky feeling some folks in this thread smoke in rental cars :whistling:

I no longer smoke but when I did smoke, I smoked in a $30,000 Jeep for a week in Hawaii, sometimes with the top on and the windows rolled up when it was raining. Now, I hate being around a smoker and would not accept a rental car that has been smoked in.

I would have just not bought it so I did not hold up the line for a price check. Them having to restock it might have prompted them to fix it.

As far as comparing the UPC, I have been in plenty of stores where the tag on the shelf has the SKU or some other code not the UPC so you cannot get it to match without and NSA code breaking computer.

Yes, those stupid scanners are everywhere until you need when, then try to find one.

The Karma court finds you guilty of wasting the time of the poor people in line behind you. Your sentence is to wait inline behind someone else doing the same thing when you are in a hurry and have to go to the bathroom.

I can't count how many times I've been stuck in line for a price check, lottery tickets and counting out $20 in change to pay for something. It's the price of shopping at Wal-Mart. I once got stuck in line once behind a woman that moved at a snails pace to unload her cart while eating from a bag of chips she didn't pay for. Life goes on.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 10:59
Shhhh. The self righteous don't need you quoting Wal Mart policies that support Dale in this. Just like the guy that got 30 boxes of WWB for advertised price because of a silly state law. Lol

It's easier for them to find fault than to find fact. See this example...

I have to agree. I'm sure Dale is one of those people who complain about all those who have EBT cards and the steak they buy with them.

Yet, he would never consider himself a 'taker'. I'm guessing that is because he can't figure out how to get a EBT card ... yet!

Can anyone explain how this man came to these conclusions? I mean come on, seriously. I'm college educated, test out at the high end of every standardized test I've ever taken and was invited to Duke University for a summer of study when I was middle school, so I'm not stupid. I'm not the smartest guy on GT or even in this thread, but my posts should indicate I have the ability to apply for food stamps if I was so inclined.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 11:04
Dale, you didn't answer my other posts - why?

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 11:40
Let's be honest. The $20 he saved doesn't even come close to fairly compensating him for going to walmart in the first place

jpa
01-19-2014, 11:43
I don't have a problem with it. I hate stores that mislabel shelves or stock merchandise in the wrong location. It rates right up there with stores that fail to remove sale price tags and refuse to honor them or stores who advertise one item in stock on sale and then suddenly they sold out when you arrive and offer a more expensive alternative. They do their customers a disservice and leave a bad taste in your mouth, making you not want to come back.

The important question is, did they ask to see your receipt when you left the store? :)

Detectorist
01-19-2014, 11:46
Yeah, no deceit or force was used. It was a mutual agreement.

Thank you sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

A policy supporting my assertions, imagine that. Thank you. :wavey:
No it wasn't. You know it wasn't. Customers rearrange products all the time trying to get a discount. I worked at Walmart. That's what the price scanners are for.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 11:49
I can't count how many times I've been stuck in line for a price check, lottery tickets and counting out $20 in change to pay for something. It's the price of shopping at Wal-Mart. I once got stuck in line once behind a woman that moved at a snails pace to unload her cart while eating from a bag of chips she didn't pay for. Life goes on.

So you were collecting on a karma debt and from the sounds of things you will need to do this a few more times before you are even. :whistling::cool:

BlueEyes
01-19-2014, 11:50
http://ncol.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834526d9869e2019b028b67fd970b-320wi

Let something positive come from this thread. Let's all say a prayer for Dale. I think we all have met someone like him. The person who opinions are set in stone and is so tight he ***** dust and ****** air.

I feel that if we pray for him and wish him well there is a chance. It is better to light one candle then to curse the darkness.

I won't post any more in this thread and I ask that you don't either. I do ask that you take the time to pray for him.

Dale, I am sending out good wishes to you of generosity and happiness.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 11:53
My take is this....

He admittedly knew that there was a mistake and took advantage.... on a freaking cat litter box no less.

If he truly and honestly with no doubt in his mind thought the price of that box was $4.00 when he went to the register and then was told it was $27 .... well than that is a different story. But that's not how it went down. Whether we approve or disapprove, or whether we have done something similar or not , or whether Walmart sucks....all make no difference. He went to the register armed and ready to take advantage of a $20.00 mistake.

I am not judging as I may have done the same in the past.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 11:53

Oh yeah? Well I am so honest and my values so high I won't even shop at sales because I do not think it is fair to the store. Full price only for me baby!

According to Dale's story he did neither stole nor lied period. There is no values involved. You might not have liked what he did but at worst he was being a nuisance to Wal-Mart. It makes no indication that he would steal of lie from you.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 12:01
Oh yeah? Well I am so honest and my values so high I won't even shop at sales because I do not think it is fair to the store. Full price only for me baby!

BTW this is a lie, I shop for the lowest price possible.

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 12:12
No it wasn't. You know it wasn't. Customers rearrange products all the time trying to get a discount. I worked at Walmart. That's what the price scanners are for.

Blame the customers? Who's job is it to keep the stores orderly and merchandise properly displayed?

OldSchool64
01-19-2014, 12:27
Blame the customers? Who's job is it to keep the stores orderly and merchandise properly displayed?

Good point.
Seems like they need a special crew on camera duty, a few guys to watch for people who are rearranging the shelves and then alert someone to straighten up after those malicious shoppers.

bmoore
01-19-2014, 12:33
Two years ago Bass Pro had a pair of wellington boots in the catalog for 99 bucks. I went on their website, punched in the product number and added to cart. It came up in the cart as 129.99, I took a pic of the boots in the catalog and emailed them. I asked them if they were the same boots because the ones in the catalog were slick and what I really wanted. They emailed yes they were the same and it was an error in the catalog and gave me them for 99 bucks. I really wasn't expecting that, I just wanted to make sure I got the ones I wanted but that was cool of Bass Pro to do that. Then the boots came and they sucked, gave them to goodwill LOL.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 12:47
Dale, you didn't answer my other posts - why?

And that's your justification for insulting me? I didn't answer your question? And you think there is a problem with my morals??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

To answer your question, I'd give the customer the product as the price on the shelf indicated if THAT WAS THE POLICY I HAD IN PLACE AT MY STORE!

Lady Glock
01-19-2014, 12:56

When I worked at Wal-mart, the last hour of work, we were suppose to check out our work station, the department we were responsible for. For the cashiers, that was the displays at the end of their register and those of the registers that had nobody working them. We were to restock, clean up any misplaced merchandise, etc...Those who worked in specific departments had to walk their department and fix anything that was out of place. Many times, they would find empty containers of things customers had consumed while shopping, then they would put the evidence down and leave it, so they didn't have to pay for it. If they had thought they wanted to buy something that was spoilable and then changed their mind and put it down on a shelf instead of back in the fridgerated displays, it had to be thrown away as we had no idea how long it had been there and couldn't take a chance that it was spoiled. This was policy for EVERY shift, every department.

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 13:02
Good point.
Seems like they need a special crew on camera duty, a few guys to watch for people who are rearranging the shelves and then alert someone to straighten up after those malicious shoppers.

Sounds like the stores need more staff.

Or it's cheaper to just eat it than fix it.

I guess the second.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 13:05
http://ncol.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834526d9869e2019b028b67fd970b-320wi

Let something positive come from this thread. Let's all say a prayer for Dale. I think we all have met someone like him. The person who opinions are set in stone and is so tight he ***** dust and ****** air.

I feel that if we pray for him and wish him well there is a chance. It is better to light one candle then to curse the darkness.

I won't post any more in this thread and I ask that you don't either. I do ask that you take the time to pray for him.

Dale, I am sending out good wishes to you of generosity and happiness.

Thanks, sincerely. However, I'm not a Christian so the prayers may not work. :wavey:

This makes no sense.

I'm under no obligation to scan every item I purchase to ensure it's marketed correctly. I have neither the time nor desire to be a quality control consultant for Wal-Mart, for free.

They put up price scanners so customers can see what the prices are because they do a poor job staffing their stores and keeping things neat and orderly. They got tired of repeatedly paying for their mistakes in the form of lower prices and instead of staffing stores properly and fixing the problems they put up price scanners. Those price scanners lower costs by lowering the number of employees required to run the store, as a consequence, the stores are less organized than other stores. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for offering me your dissenting opinion without insulting me though. :wavey:

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 13:25
And that's your justification for insulting me? I didn't answer your question? And you think there is a problem with my morals??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

To answer your question, I'd give the customer the product as the price on the shelf indicated if THAT WAS THE POLICY I HAD IN PLACE AT MY STORE!

morals - those would cost you something - you wouldn't pay the price!

And no one believes you with follow that policy. You would ask the customer to stay at the cash register, run back to the shelves and move the product around.

:rofl:

AZLawDawg
01-19-2014, 13:30
It doesn't sound like a rip-off to me, you brought it up to 'em and struck a deal.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 14:06
Thanks, sincerely. However, I'm not a Christian so the prayers may not work. :wavey:

Do you know that Christians aren't the only ones who pray?

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Marcus Unrealious
01-19-2014, 14:16
Let's be honest. The $20 he saved doesn't even come close to fairly compensating him for going to walmart in the first place

Wow. Got a little occupy socialism going there?. Victim less crime, no one hurt, they had it coming.

Once the issues of RIGHT and WRONG became situational, America started to crumble. You cannot justify wrong by citing another wrong as rationalization. I have always found when someone rationalizes, they already know what the right answer should have been.

Marcus Unrealious
01-19-2014, 14:20
Hi Dale

Are you they guy that agrees to buy a revolver for $500 and makes the arrangement to meet, they say you only have $450 on you when you do?

Just asking....

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 14:35
Wow. Got a little occupy socialism going there?. Victim less crime, no one hurt, they had it coming.

Once the issues of RIGHT and WRONG became situational, America started to crumble. You cannot justify wrong by citing another wrong as rationalization. I have always found when someone rationalizes, they already know what the right answer should have been.

I think some of you folks have lost your minds on this. Wal mart and dale engaged in a free transaction. Both could have walked. They chose not to. They negotiated and reached an agreement.

I'm socialist how exactly?

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 14:39
Hi Dale

Are you they guy that agrees to buy a revolver for $500 and makes the arrangement to meet, they say you only have $450 on you when you do?

Just asking....

No, I've conducted two face to face transactions with GT'ers and both went according to plan, as negotiated prior to meeting at arranged meeting places. However, if an item was not as described, I would try to renegotiate the price, just like I did with Wal-Mart over the litter pan.

Do you know that Christians aren't the only ones who pray?

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Yes I'm aware. I'm also aware that he posted a picture of a bible passage in this very thread so I'm pretty sure he's a Christian. What's your point?

morals - those would cost you something - you wouldn't pay the price!

And no one believes you with follow that policy. You would ask the customer to stay at the cash register, run back to the shelves and move the product around.

You're babbling now. How could I ask the customer to stay at the register and run back to shelves, that's impossible. Besides that, I wouldn't ask a customer to run anywhere. Please learn to express yourself more clearly. Please calm down and quit making things up before you stroke out or something. I don't really like you to much but I don't want you blowing a blood vessel or something over a litter pan.

Geeorge
01-19-2014, 14:49

Exactly

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 15:03

Ugh, if you only knew. This particular Wal-Mart is visible from my front yard in the fall when there are no leaves on the trees so I'm in there three to four times a week and I see lots of errors. This story will make some people blow a fuse...

Back when I used to smoke I bought my cigarettes at the Murphy USA at the Wal-Mart in question. They had a posted sign that advertised Guaranteed Marlboro products in stock, all day every day or you got $5.00. No joke, $5.00 if out of stock. So one day they were out of Marlboro Menthol Lights. I politely asked for my $5.00 and the clerk said "I can't do that." I advised that I was looking at a sign that said I was now owed $5.00 dollars. She then got really pissed and told me she wasn't giving me anything. I promptly went home and emailed Wal-Mart telling them what happened. Two dollars later I got a call asking me to come to the store. I show up and they gave me five packs of cigarettes and the $5.00 and asked me if I was going to continue shopping with them. Of course I accepted their offer and have continued to purchase my gasoline there.

We struck a deal, I've lived up to my end.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 15:09
Heres a picture of the shelf, the $4.36 tag and aforementioned litter pan should be easy to spot...

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/DaleGribbleGT/image.jpg

Notice the poor marketing, over stocking and difficulty determining what item goes with what price. The store was at fault here.

Dave514
01-19-2014, 15:22
The stocking is wrong.

You knew it wasn't the right price, especially looking at the $9.98 ones to the left.

You didn't want to pay $27 when you got up there.

The store came to an agreement with you.

It's sketchy, no matter how you want to paint it. You did not rip them off but your mistake was not completely innocent and you did take advantage of the situation.

Everybody has their line.

racerford
01-19-2014, 15:23

No, show the lie. If you can't you are just making stuff, and you are worse.

Show the theft, If you can't you are just making stuff up.

Words have meaning.

Look up the word libel.

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 15:24
The stocking is wrong.

You knew it wasn't the right price, especially looking at the $9.98 ones to the left.

You didn't want to pay $27 when you got up there.

The store came to an agreement with you.

It's sketchy, no matter how you want to paint it. You did not rip them off but your mistake was not completely innocent and you did take advantage of the situation.

Everybody has their line.

The very nature of commerce involves taking advantage of situations. There was no force or coercion.

Walmart could have just said no

Dave514
01-19-2014, 15:28
The very nature of commerce involves taking advantage of situations. There was no force or coercion.

Walmart could have just said no

I said Walmart agreed. In this post and in post #3 "How can you have ripped them off when they agreed to the deal?"

The nature of commerce is taking or creating an advantage but not everyone tries to take advantage of others. At some point it becomes theft.

If you reread his original post about knowing the price was not likely correct and still don't think things were a little sketchy...

travisstorma
01-19-2014, 15:30
I used to do pricing tag changes for a grocery store years ago. Twice a year we would have a state inspector come out and take 50 items and ring them up to make sure they rang up right.

We got written up once for something being stocked in the wrong spot. She showed me in her 'law' book of where the item has to ring up the price of where it is stocked at on the shelf. Any other price and it was deceiving the customer.

RenoF250
01-19-2014, 15:31
Heres a picture of the shelf, the $4.36 tag and aforementioned litter pan should be easy to spot...

Notice the poor marketing, over stocking and difficulty determining what item goes with what price. The store was at fault here.

That is jacked the "Large Hooded Litter Pan" is stocked in 3 places with 3 prices.

sidewalkless
01-19-2014, 15:39
I love animals.

I'm pretty sure that there is no cat in existence - past - present - future - that is worth 27 bucks for a comfy place to drop a duce.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 15:41
I love animals.

I'm pretty sure that there is no cat in existence - past - present - future - that is worth 27 bucks for a comfy place to drop a duce.

Sig line worthy :rofl::rofl:

Dave514
Mine likes to sit in the box and deuce over the side. Hood might be good.

HauntedAlabama
Before Christmas my wife sent me in to Gander Mountain to get a couple of gift cards for two of her employees. I walked back to the ammo section and saw several 250 round packs of UMC 9MM ammo and thought I would check the price. The tag said $49.99...I was like this cannot be right. Looked at the shelf sticker and it said Remington UMC and the price but could not find any other info. Looked around and no employee close so I picked one up went to the front. It rang up $79.99 I think and I told the girl there were a stack of them sitting on a $49.99 tag...she changed the price and called a manager to let them know. I did not feel like I ripped them off as someone there made a mistake and I did not demand the lower price they just honored their mistake.

Dave514
01-19-2014, 15:43
Before Christmas my wife sent me in to Gander Mountain to get a couple of gift cards for two of her employees. I walked back to the ammo section and saw several 250 round packs of UMC 9MM ammo and thought I would check the price. The tag said $49.99...I was like this cannot be right. Looked at the shelf sticker and it said Remington UMC and the price but could not find any other info. Looked around and no employee close so I picked one up went to the front. It rang up $79.99 I think and I told the girl there were a stack of them sitting on a $49.99 tag...she changed the price and called a manager to let them know. I did not feel like I ripped them off as someone there made a mistake and I did not demand the lower price they just honored their mistake.

AHHH, you are the devil!!!

Dave514
01-19-2014, 15:44

See...Bambi is reasonable about all this. :upeyes:

racerford
01-19-2014, 15:45

My eyes are not what they once were, but I don't even see a space marked with a 27.xx price.

racerford
01-19-2014, 15:50
I used to do pricing tag changes for a grocery store years ago. Twice a year we would have a state inspector come out and take 50 items and ring them up to make sure they rang up right.

We got written up once for something being stocked in the wrong spot. She showed me in her 'law' book of where the item has to ring up the price of where it is stocked at on the shelf. Any other price and it was deceiving the customer.

The law is wrong. It is clear from comments in this thread, it is the customers' responsibility to make sure the prices are properly marked, not the store's responsibility.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 16:07
Yes I'm aware. I'm also aware that he posted a picture of a bible passage in this very thread so I'm pretty sure he's a Christian. What's your point?

So sad - Proverbs are part of the old testament - quoting them doesn't mean a person is Christian.

:faint::wavey::rofl::wavey:

Marcus Unrealious
01-19-2014, 16:27
Interesting thread, actually.

You opened it with: "Did I ripoff Wal-Mart..." but then proceed to deny, assert and argue with everyone who thinks you may have. So why would you even ask? It wasn't for enlightenment, or to evolve your thinking. So why post a question as to the ethics if you will debate it with each and all in disagreement?

We like (and agree with) the wife. You? Well.....

:tongueout:

jim2037
01-19-2014, 16:42
Walmart has their policy right there on the registers. if an item rings up differently than the price on the shelf, Walmart pledges to make it right.

hold them to their policies. Think of it this way, how many employees walk by that wrong price every day for 8 hours a day and no one bothers to notice or change it, including the one responsible for that section. The notion that you as a customer is responsible for checking the UPC codes is in my opinion ridiculous. A store is responsible for making sure items are correctly priced and placed. If an item or items are in the wrong slot on the shelf, I say that falls to the store employees to recognize such errors and correct them.

You didnt rip off anyone, you held someone to their own policies

jpa
01-19-2014, 16:47
Walmart has their policy right there on the registers. if an item rings up differently than the price on the shelf, Walmart pledges to make it right.

hold them to their policies. Think of it this way, how many employees walk by that wrong price every day for 8 hours a day and no one bothers to notice or change it, including the one responsible for that section. The notion that you as a customer is responsible for checking the UPC codes is in my opinion ridiculous. A store is responsible for making sure items are correctly priced and placed. If an item or items are in the wrong slot on the shelf, I say that falls to the store employees to recognize such errors and correct them.

You didnt rip off anyone, you held someone to their own policies

Good point. A lot of stores have a "scanned price guarantee" of some sort where if it scans wrong it's free or you get it for whichever price is lower. Maybe you should have tried to get it for free...lol

dryfly
01-19-2014, 16:52
Bambi hit the nail...\\

You knowingly took advantage for 20 bucks for a cat litter box.
You would do the same to me.

FireForged
01-19-2014, 16:53

This ^^^

dryfly
01-19-2014, 16:56
And you are a smart enough guy to know you were gonna get 5 pages...

bobtheelf
01-19-2014, 17:07
I say I despite customers like you that can't figure out that maybe some other customer moved the pan, and that that doesn't entitle you to the cheaper price.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 17:11
So sad - Proverbs are part of the old testament - quoting them doesn't mean a person is Christian.

:faint::wavey::rofl::wavey:

You got me, I'm lying about guessing that he's probably a Christian. :upeyes:

My eyes are not what they once were, but I don't even see a space marked with a 27.xx price.

There was no tag for that pan.

You opened it with: "Did I ripoff Wal-Mart..." but then proceed to deny, assert and argue with everyone who thinks you may have. So why would you even ask? It wasn't for enlightenment, or to evolve your thinking. So why post a question as to the ethics if you will debate it with each and all in disagreement?

Go back and look, the only people I've "argued" with we're the name callers and irrational people. I've been very polite to the people that have voiced disagreement in an adult manner. Besides that, I never said I wouldn't respond and debate. This is a forum after all and it requires interaction for it to work.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 17:11

The simple answer is intellectual immaturity.

A child needs rules to follow. Dale followed the rules.

An intellectually mature person understands that the rules/laws are there in an attempt to stop stores from defrauding or deceiving the public. That didn't apply to this situation as WM didn't do either.

If there was no law against stealing candy from a baby; Dale would do it when he could; because there wasn't a law against it.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 17:19
I say I despite customers like you that can't figure out that maybe some other customer moved the pan, and that that doesn't entitle you to the cheaper price.

Go back and look at that picture and read the entire thread before commenting.

There was no tag for $27.00 in that area, the same type of pan is over three different price tags and a lazy Wal-Mart employee didn't do a good job and disregarded Wal-Mart's policies. It's Wal-Marts mistake, not mine.

Marcus Unrealious
01-19-2014, 17:23

There was no tag for $27.00 in that area, the same type of pan is over three different price tags and a lazy Wal-Mart employee didn't do a good job and disregarded Wal-Mart's policies. It's Wal-Marts mistake, not mine.

Again, I would ask. Why ask if you ripped them off if you don't want to hear the response?

dryfly
01-19-2014, 17:24
Dale....cut the self righteous crap.

You knew what you were doing... you know what you did.

Then you opened yourself up to GT.

Plain and simple !

certifiedfunds
01-19-2014, 17:36
The simple answer is intellectual immaturity.

A child needs rules to follow. Dale followed the rules.

An intellectually mature person understands that the rules/laws are there in an attempt to stop stores from defrauding or deceiving the public. That didn't apply to this situation as WM didn't do either.

If there was no law against stealing candy from a baby; Dale would do it when he could; because there wasn't a law against it.

With a post like this you have the nerve to preach about maturity?

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 17:41
Dale....cut the self righteous crap.

You knew what you were doing... you know what you did.

Then you opened yourself up to GT.

Plain and simple !

Disagreement does not equal self righteousness.

I plainly said in the first post that I was pretty sure the pan was not $4.36 and I also said I would take what comes out of this thread. I've been polite, I've been respectful and I've politely disagreed. What do you expect me to say"Yes Master?"

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 17:42

He's the personification of hypocrisy.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 17:44
Dale,

Im a noob next to you....
but...
C'mon..... you knew what you were doing....
Right ?

bobtheelf
01-19-2014, 17:45

Go back and read my post. You know any customer could have dropped it off there. It happens all the time. Walk a store that size and you'll probably find a hundred things placed in the wrong spot.

Ultimately, you KNEW the proper price was not under $5 before you ever got to the line. You KNEW that tag was for a different product.

racerford
01-19-2014, 17:46
Look at the picture he posted. Just exactly how was he supposed to know the correct price was $27.xx? Do you see that price anywhere on the shelf?

dryfly
01-19-2014, 17:50
Look at the picture he posted. Just exactly how was he supposed to know the correct price was $27.xx? Do you see that price anywhere on the shelf?

This thread is cracking me up.

Dale knew... he studied he examined.....
He knew....

I don't love him less as a GT brudda.... but he effin knew what he was doing.
Big difference from a little old blind lady who really believed her cats 5hits box was 4 bucks at the register.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 17:53

He's the personification of hypocrisy.

Feigned outrage - but no denial - very telling.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 17:58
Great thread though guys.

PawCatch still wins though ! :rofl:

You know what I iz sayin....

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 18:00

Will you be a little more wary of him if you were to do a deal with him?

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 18:01
Great thread though guys.

PawCatch still wins though ! :rofl:

You know what I iz sayin....

I agree - it always amazes me will share about themselves on the net.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 18:02

Damn straight.

THEPOPE
01-19-2014, 18:06
If you knew the price was NOT correct, and then insisted on the shelf-marked WRONG price, your ethics need adjusted or re-set....

That said, MOST pilferage happens through workers ... lotsa folks that work grocery stores or, really ANY store, can damage or make a product appear damaged, just to take it....groceries used to let workers take home damaged items, they quit that practice, because of, you guessed it, UN-ethical behavior by the employees...

I am out-sized....:cool:

racerford
01-19-2014, 18:22
This thread is cracking me up.

And Walmart, is more knowledgeable and sophisticated in the retail business than all of you, knew what it was doing. It agreed to the price and followed their policy.

Dale expected them to do as they said they would do, and that is a problem?

So if you agreed to sell be a Glock for $500 and ship it to my FFL, and sent you the money. Should I expect you to do as you say and ship the gun to my FFL and execute the transfer?

Should I be upset if you said, well the gun is yours but, you will have to drive her and pick it up. Should I be OK with that.

You are saying Walmart or any other should not be trusted to follow their own policies? You do understand why they have those policies, right. They are to lure you to buy from them. To show you they are trustworthy.

I mean would you shop at a store that had a published policy of we will screw our customers at every chance we get by mismarking items and wasting their time, and hoping the customer won't notice they are over-charged? Or that the customer will just agree to the higher price because the customer has already spent so much time in the line and it only a dollar ( to a million people)..

So you guys believe that we should let companies slide on their promises?

Walmart could have said, "no we will not sell it at that price, in spite of what you think the policy is. We have a right not to sell at that price if it is a error, not a bait and switch". They did not. They accept his offer. Willing buyer, willing seller.

So Walmart should have no ethics or integrity and Dale is unethical because he negotiated a better price (without deceit) at a place you guys don't feel people should have a right to try to negotiate a better price?:rofl:

racerford
01-19-2014, 18:26

No more wary of him than I would be of you.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 18:27
And Walmart, is more knowledgeable and sophisticated in the retail business than all of you, knew what it was doing. It agreed to the price and followed their policy.

Dale expected them to do as they said they would do, and that is a problem?

So if you agreed to sell be a Glock for $500 and ship it to my FFL, and sent you the money. Should I expect you to do as you say and ship the gun to my FFL and execute the transfer?

Should I be upset if you said, well the gun is yours but, you will have to drive her and pick it up. Should I be OK with that.

You are saying Walmart or any other should not be trusted to follow their own policies? You do understand why they have those policies, right. They are to lure you to buy from them. To show you they are trustworthy.

I mean would you shop at a store that had a published policy of we will screw our customers at every chance we get by mismarking items and wasting their time, and hoping the customer won't notice they are over-charged? Or that the customer will just agree to the higher price because the customer has already spent so much time in the line and it only a dollar ( to a million people)..

So you guys believe that we should let companies slide on their promises?

Walmart could have said, "no we will not sell it at that price, in spite of what you think the policy is. We have a right not to sell at that price if it is a error, not a bait and switch". They did not. They accept his offer. Willing buyer, willing seller.

So Walmart should have no ethics or integrity and Dale is unethical because he negotiated a better price (without deceit) at a place you guys don't feel people should have a right to try to negotiate a better price?:rofl:

Dale knowingly took advantage.
Would it be ok if Dale knowingly took advantage of your daughter ?

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 18:34

Well, if he had his daughter for sale with a sign that said $4.36 and then tried to charge me 27.00, yes, yes it would be ok for me to take advantage.

Strike while the iron is hot.

dryfly
01-19-2014, 18:38
Well, if he had his daughter for sale with a sign that said $4.36 and then tried to charge me 27.00, yes, yes it would be ok for me to take advantage.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Ya Ya ok....:supergrin:

Stop stealing cat litter boxes...
Karma might land you in one !
Not kidding !

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 18:41
Feigned outrage - but no denial - very telling.

Deny what, that I got a litter pan for the advertised price or your illogical fantasy?

This had nothing to do with rules and everything to do with a store policy.

The store did agree to sell the item to me. I didn't shoplift the litter pan, therefore your theft analogy is illogical and invalid.

Good try though.

paratrooper
01-19-2014, 18:43
Dude it's Walmart, you still got ripped off.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 18:47
Deny what, that I got a litter pan for the advertised price or your illogical fantasy?

So now they had the price in the newspaper or advertisement?

This is getting better!

Zonny
01-19-2014, 18:47
Dale, I'm thinking for $27.00, YOU ought to be able to poop in that cat box.

Maybe doing so and posting a pic of your new poop box will put an end to the mess. :rofl:

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 18:53
So now they had the price in the newspaper or advertisement?

This is getting better!

Advertised, displayed, marked, priced, the terminology is as irrelevant as your illogical and invalid theft analogy.

Again, you are mistaken, not that you care.

DaleGribble
01-19-2014, 18:55
Dale, I'm thinking for $27.00, YOU ought to be able to poop in that cat box.

Maybe doing so and posting a pic of your new poop box will put an end to the mess. :rofl:

I would get banned, quickly.

PaulMason
01-19-2014, 19:09
Advertised, displayed, marked, priced, the terminology is as irrelevant

You said that before - that is how you got a $27 product for less then $5.

Geeorge
01-19-2014, 20:14
The wife and I went into the local Wal-Mart to buy a new litter-pan for the cat. As were looking at litter pans I see a covered one above a price tag that read $4.36. I thought it was an item that was probably moved on the shelf by a customer or employee as the cheapest conventional litter pan was $7.00, then as I looked at the section it was clear that the section was full and well stocked and then I looked closer at the tag and saw that the tag only said "sv litter pan". So I was pretty sure this litter pan wasn't $4.36 so I looked at the other tags to try and find where this particular pan was supposed to go and there were no empty spots for tanymore pans.

We took the pan to the register and it rang up at $27.00

I immediately protested and said the tag for that pan was $4.36. The cashier called her manager over who said she could not override the price difference. I told her she could go look at the tag for herself so we both walked back and I showed her the tag and the stack of the same pan. She then checks the UPC code on the pan and the price tag and tells me the wrong pans were in that spot and it was my responsibility to check the UPC codes. I told her it wasn't my responsibility to check any codes and it was Wal-Mart's responsibility to market and stock items properly.

What say you?

Okie is ashamed of you

Lady Glock
01-19-2014, 20:22
Wow, something happened that I can't find this thread in my list of threads I've been following?! Looks like it got moved, but why would I not see the thread anymore? I had to find it by following a link in my email. Weird

Lady Glock
01-19-2014, 20:23
Okie is ashamed of you

I would like to think that Okie would be more aware of policy than that...nobody has a right to speak for okie!!

DaleGribble
01-20-2014, 02:27
You said that before - that is how you got a $27 product for less then $5.

Debating with you is like talking with a child. You pick and choose what you want to hear and use infantile logic that makes no sense to any rational adult. Now that you've managed to get my thread moved to a dead zone because of your childishness, I'm done discussing this with you.

You're fired. Goodbye. Adios.

Geeorge
01-20-2014, 02:57
I would like to think that Okie would be more aware of policy than that...nobody has a right to speak for okie!!

Okie was proud to work at walmart and always defended it against nay sayers of Walmart like dale .

Who are either to lazy to use the price checker or ask help from an associate,

then wait to go to the cash register and hold up the line making an ass of themselves:tongueout:

Lady Glock
01-20-2014, 08:30
Okie was proud to work at walmart and always defended it against nay sayers of Walmart like dale .

Who are either to lazy to use the price checker or ask help from an associate,

then wait to go to the cash register and hold up the line making an ass of themselves:tongueout:

Yes, I know okie was proud of his job. I also worked for walmart and know that my job made it mandatory for what happened to this GTer to be the only option. If any other route was taken than what happened here, the person changing protocal would be fired or reprimanded. I'm sure Okie knew the rules and would have stood up for the OP

PaulMason
01-20-2014, 09:16
Debating with you is like talking with a child. You pick and choose what you want to hear and use infantile logic that makes no sense to any rational adult. Now that you've managed to get my thread moved to a dead zone because of your childishness, I'm done discussing this with you.

Sounds like you know yourself well. :rofl::tongueout:

racerford
01-20-2014, 09:27

No, she is 7, it would be illegal. You are a sick individual for even suggesting it. She is not capable of consent. Walmart is a sophisticated corporation. They are fully capable of informed consent.

No one was taken advantage of, Walmart followed their policies.

Emmett4glock
01-20-2014, 14:41
The important thing is that Walmart still made a profit off Dale's item.

Dave514
01-20-2014, 14:48
The register drawer got stuck while waiting for my change at Walmart. The manager came over and I loned him my keys to try to slip in the barely open drawer to move the roll of coins that were blocking.

It didn't work so he said he would have to get a screw driver.

After about 5 minutes he came back with artificial roses and tried to use the flimsy wire stem to unhang the drawer. He said "I couldn't find a screwdriver".

I leaned in close and said loudly(like an Ahole) YOU DO REALIZE WE'RE IN A SUPER WALLL MAAAART DON'T YOU?

It wasn't worth sticking around any longer for .32 cents.

I think $5/27 might have been fortunate for Walmart.

PaulMason
01-21-2014, 11:09
So I was in this mom and pop store just browsing the isles when I saw this item on the shelf I was interested in - the sticker had the decimal point in the wrong place. The item was now for sale at 90% off!

I took a picture of the item and the sticker and went to the cash register. Of course it rang up at the full price.

The I told the clerk to correct my charge to the lower price. She got the manager and the manager then asked me to wait while he checked the shelf.

He came back and admitted the sticker price was wrong but everything else was correct. BUT, he said he could not sell it to me at such a deep discount.

Then I pounced - I showed him the picture, I threatened not to shop there again, I told him I would report him to the police and the state authorities.

He said, sir, my daughter is ill and any money we make here goes to her medicine. My wife used to work in the store but she needs to stay at home and take care of my daughter so we had to hire two people to replace her.

He is crying now. And he goes on and on about how Obamacare has increased his health care costs and he might have to cancel his employee's health ins.

He is pleading now, on his knees. Sir, if you insist on paying on ly 10% of the price of this item, I'll go out of business and my family will be homeless.

I made him sell it to me at the lower price! It was a good day.

I did a Gribble. Anyone else make such a great find?

Dave514
01-21-2014, 11:25
Deeaaauuummm! One item was going to was going to put him out of business and cause him to be homeless??

What could this mystery item possibly have been?

Hope Diamond?

A Picasso?

If you have an address, I'd like to send the guy a donation to help him out with his troubles.

PaulMason
01-21-2014, 11:30
If you have an address, I'd like to send the guy a donation to help him out with his troubles.

I think they are living out of their car now - I don't have an address.

Dave514
01-21-2014, 11:39
Wow. That's terrible. I think you should have paid the whole thing if that's a amount we're talking about. I mean, a $22 difference to a huge corporation like WM might not be that big of a deal but clearly you are taking advantage of the situation on a level that is devastating for a business.

I hope you are not pulling our leg about this because there is nothing I despise more than a damnn LIAR. Liars are the scum of the earth and each should be quartered right on the spot. Man, I sure hope you are not one of those. Liars....man I hate those SOBs.

Dave514
01-21-2014, 11:54
Wait a minute... this WAS a lie, wasn't it? There was no store or crying owner.

You were just trying to make a point. So... so you LIED to make a point.

Like if some bazillion dollar corporation was monoplizing small towns all over by running out the little guy...and then you had a chance to use their own pricing policies against them... you could make a point. The theft of $22 wouldn't even be the point of the whole thing. It's not the THEFT... it's the point.

I get it now. So it's not the LIE you are telling, it's the point you are making.

Well, wait, if it's ok to lie to make a point then why isn't it ok to use a companies own policy to make a point?

Dave514
01-21-2014, 11:56
or maybe you're making a mountain out of a molehill

Lady Glock
01-21-2014, 12:30
or maybe you're making a mountain out of a molehill

I think you were right with the first one...lying to make a point against Dale. Thing is, I have trouble believing the purchase of ONE item at a 90% discount would put a small business owner out of business. If that's the case, they weren't far from going under anyway!

Dave514
01-21-2014, 12:39
Yeah, I think that's pretty clear. I was just pretending not to know...

Hey, wait, playing dumb is a form of LYING!!!

AHHH, I HATE ME NOW!!!

PaulMason
01-21-2014, 13:07
Wow. That's terrible.

I think you were right with the first one...lying to make a point against Dale.

I can tell neither of you did a Gribble - if you did, you would know it is all good.

Lady Glock
01-21-2014, 13:54
I can tell neither of you did a Gribble - if you did, you would know it is all good.

Actually, I have ...many times over, made stores and restaurants abide by their policy. I have worked for walmart and many restaurants. I know the policies that are available for the consumer. I don't let the company get away with failing on their responsibility.

hotpig
01-21-2014, 14:12
1) The price tag also has the UPC as well as the price, so it's not mis-marked.

2) The price on the tag is technically an "an invitation to bargain" or "invitation to treat" it's not a binding offer, you can always offer the store a lower price (yeah, not like the store is gonna accept, but that's a technicality.)

3) Someone, WallyWorld, some nameless customer, you, an extraterrestrial. put the litter pan in the wrong spot. If someone puts a filet mignon steak in with the candy section where the price is $1.00 is that the price of the steak now?
4) You were sold the misplaced-but-not-mismarked item at the reduced cost because it's easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Had you not been given the discount, there's a possibility that WallyWorld would lose your visits (and money) forever or at least for a period longer than the missed profits on that one item would cover.

Did you rip them off? No.
Were you given a reduced price when it was not required? Yes.
Did anyone do anything wrong? Not enough to worry more than 3 minutes over, no.
Excellent post.

hooligan74
01-21-2014, 15:47
Most stores will honor the advertised price out of courtesy, but they are not under obligation to.

I believe in some states, they are obligated to. WAY back when I was still in MI and working retail, we were instructed that the law was we had to sell an item at the price marked, even if it was marked in error.

G33
01-22-2014, 15:58
Olde lady at door exit should tazer you until you smoke.

PaulMason
01-22-2014, 16:39
Actually, I have ...many times over, made stores and restaurants abide by their policy. I have worked for walmart and many restaurants. I know the policies that are available for the consumer. I don't let the company get away with failing on their responsibility.

Gribble on ...

DaleGribble
01-22-2014, 18:57
Since Paul seems to be on some kind of idiotic crusade, to the point of just making up things, I thought I would swing by Wal-Mart again today and snap another pic.

Here's what the same shelves look like as of 1-22-2014. They're worse than the day I got the litter pan. Obviously a customer didn't move anything and whoever is taking care of this section is doing a very poor job...

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq20/DaleGribbleGT/Wal-Mart.jpg

The litter pan I got is the one in the bottom left, they moved the last remaining pan from the spot that is $4.36 and they still don't have a tag for $27.00 which was the actual price of the litter pan.

DaleGribble
01-22-2014, 19:10
So I was in this mom and pop store just browsing the isles when I saw this item on the shelf I was interested in - the sticker had the decimal point in the wrong place. The item was now for sale at 90% off!

I took a picture of the item and the sticker and went to the cash register. Of course it rang up at the full price.

The I told the clerk to correct my charge to the lower price. She got the manager and the manager then asked me to wait while he checked the shelf.

He came back and admitted the sticker price was wrong but everything else was correct. BUT, he said he could not sell it to me at such a deep discount.

Then I pounced - I showed him the picture, I threatened not to shop there again, I told him I would report him to the police and the state authorities.

He said, sir, my daughter is ill and any money we make here goes to her medicine. My wife used to work in the store but she needs to stay at home and take care of my daughter so we had to hire two people to replace her.

He is crying now. And he goes on and on about how Obamacare has increased his health care costs and he might have to cancel his employee's health ins.

He is pleading now, on his knees. Sir, if you insist on paying on ly 10% of the price of this item, I'll go out of business and my family will be homeless.

I made him sell it to me at the lower price! It was a good day.

I did a Gribble. Anyone else make such a great find?

You have mental problems, deep seeded, severe mental problems.

Good luck with that.

PaulMason
01-22-2014, 20:07
You have mental problems, deep seeded, severe mental problems.

Good luck with that.

I did a Gribble, you did a Gribble does that mean you have mental problems, deep seeded, severe mental problems?

Why would you or I want to stop doing Gribbles? Think about how much money that would cost us?:faint:

Now, if you think you did something wrong, you could give the money you Gribbled from WM to an established charity (not the Gribble family charity).

Marcus Unrealious
02-22-2014, 18:15
So, lets recap. Someone gets a cat litter pan for $5 instead of the $27 it should have been. They then act like Earkle and pull a 'did I do that'? The thread is based on did the right thing get done, as if the person was open minded and wanted to know. It has taken 225 posts in the course of denying having done anything wrong.

Wow. America is really hitting a low here.

Dave514
02-22-2014, 18:25
A month on GT is like a year elsewhere. Good job digging this up. Sorta.

newgene
05-13-2014, 04:25
You may have strong-armed them, but you didn't rip them off. To me, ripping someone off is more of a con or theft. They knew what they were selling at that price when they finally sold it to you. You pressured them, though. Still not a "rip-off."

rock_castle
05-13-2014, 06:00

This^^^^^^^

ptmccain
05-18-2014, 14:04
232 comments and going on 11 pages full of comments on a cat litter pan price at Walmart.

GlockTalk is always entertaining.

PaulMason
05-18-2014, 14:09
232 comments and going on 11 pages full of comments on a cat litter pan price at Walmart.

GlockTalk is always entertaining.

Have you ever done a "Gribble"?