-6F right now here. When will this global warming thing end? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : -6F right now here. When will this global warming thing end?

Detectorist
02-07-2014, 04:18
I'd hate to go through global cooling....

Dang.

skeeter7
02-07-2014, 04:32
According to the evil groundhog, we have about 5 1/2 more weeks of it.

frank4570
02-07-2014, 04:37
In all fairness, it was never global warming. The environmentalist/scientists/whatever said there would be seriously fluctuating weather patterns. More severe storms, hotter summers, colder winters, tornados, floods, etc etc etc. The politicians in that group changed it to "global warming" because it makes for better news stories and such.

Now, whether it is actually happening, and more importantly, whether we have anything to do with it, is a different conversation.

walt cowan
02-07-2014, 06:47
new ice age. adapt to it.

Lock316
02-07-2014, 06:51
According to the evil groundhog, we have about 5 1/2 more weeks of it.

That matches my calender.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

pesticidal
02-07-2014, 07:37
Global warming causes cold weather.

Dennis in MA
02-07-2014, 07:39
That matches my calender.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

I hear Puxatawny Phil is going to be a cable news anchor. He is very good at telling you what you already know with far more fanfare than was required. ;)

Dennis in MA
02-07-2014, 07:41
This is looking an awful lot like last winter to me. More snow overall, but the same pattern. Warm January (this year punctuated with negative lows every so often) followed by a colder than average Feb. That lasted until June last year. It was just COLD!

I'm hoping that we've gotten all of our snow for the season plus due to the severity of the cold-snaps we've had, our overall temps are lower than normal. . . leading to a WARMER and WETTER (we need the rain) winter tapering into a mild, mostly sunny spring.

blackxpress
02-07-2014, 08:41
Didn't you hear? This is all being caused by global warming in the arctic causing the jet stream to dip farther south. It must be true. I read it in the newspaper just this morning.

frank4570
02-07-2014, 08:58
Didn't you hear? This is all being caused by global warming in the arctic causing the jet stream to dip farther south. It must be true. I read it in the newspaper just this morning.

I read a number of years ago that it was the changes in the jetstream that had failed to bring the monsoon season to africa, in turn causing that massive famine we all heard about, in the 80s I think it was.

Cybercowboy
02-07-2014, 09:02
In all fairness, it was never global warming. The environmentalist/scientists/whatever said there would be seriously fluctuating weather patterns. More severe storms, hotter summers, colder winters, tornados, floods, etc etc etc. The politicians in that group changed it to "global warming" because it makes for better news stories and such.

Now, whether it is actually happening, and more importantly, whether we have anything to do with it, is a different conversation.

No, this is not correct. When James Hansen et al first discussed CO2 and its effect on the climate, it was all about man-produced CO2 causing a warming effect on the climate. The "stronger storms" thing only started coming about around the early 2000's because their initial predictions just weren't scary enough. They jumped all over Katrina, with Algore famously saying that MMGW was going to cause lots of Katrinas - never mind that Katrina was only a Cat 3 and that we've enjoyed a "hurricane minimum" for about the last 15 years or so.

Colder winters were never predicted in the models, but some climate "alarmists" use cold weather as "proof" that MMGW causes all sorts of fluctuations - essentially saying that any weather we don't like is caused by an increased amount of CO2. This is not at all scientific, it's simply political nonsense.

The models have predicted roughly a 1 degree C rise over the last 17 years, but instead the global temps remain flat. Therefore their models are wrong, the climate is more complex than what their models take into account, and the idea that a trace gas that really isn't that good at trapping heat can cause a run-away positive climate feedback has always be ridiculous on its face. We know the concentrations of CO2 during the last ice age, roughly 260 PPM versus today's 396 PPM. But that's not really all that surprising, it was also about 260 PPM 5000 years ago when it was actually warmer than it is today.

The "missing heat" that their models say must be here isn't hiding in the ocean, it isn't hiding anywhere. It's simply not there, and the models are wrong. Period.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-07-2014, 09:09
Seems like a normal winter to me.

I just ran 3 miles this morning in -3F. Why? Because this is winter in NY, and if you want to do something you just go out and do it. That's how it's always been. Just saying -3F is not unusual here.

Dennis in MA
02-07-2014, 09:26
No, this is not correct. When James Hansen et al first discussed CO2 and its effect on the climate, it was all about man-produced CO2 causing a warming effect on the climate. The "stronger storms" thing only started coming about around the early 2000's because their initial predictions just weren't scary enough. They jumped all over Katrina, with Algore famously saying that MMGW was going to cause lots of Katrinas - never mind that Katrina was only a Cat 3 and that we've enjoyed a "hurricane minimum" for about the last 15 years or so.

Shhh. I watched TV once. They said that we are experiencing more weather events because of MMGW. So my mental pump is primed and every storm I see - especially Weather-Channel-Named winter storms, proves that they are right and MMGW is true!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Of course, the hurricanes that killed thousands in Central America in the 90's don't count. . . because they really aren't "Americans." Katrina counts as 24 storms and Thuper-Thtorm Thandy counts as another 349. Because it was BAD! Everyone says so. It was Thuper!

frank4570
02-07-2014, 09:35
Are you suggesting that somebody has been dishonest to forward a political agenda? I just can't believe anybody would do anything like that.

Colder winters were never predicted in the models, but some climate "alarmists" use cold weather as "proof" that MMGW causes all sorts of fluctuations - essentially saying that any weather we don't like is caused by an increased amount of CO2. This is not at all scientific, it's simply political nonsense.

The models have predicted roughly a 1 degree C rise over the last 17 years, but instead the global temps remain flat. Therefore their models are wrong, the climate is more complex than what their models take into account, and the idea that a trace gas that really isn't that good at trapping heat can cause a run-away positive climate feedback has always be ridiculous on its face. We know the concentrations of CO2 during the last ice age, roughly 260 PPM versus today's 396 PPM. But that's not really all that surprising, it was also about 260 PPM 5000 years ago when it was actually warmer than it is today.

The "missing heat" that their models say must be here isn't hiding in the ocean, it isn't hiding anywhere. It's simply not there, and the models are wrong. Period.

AK_Stick
02-07-2014, 12:07
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/1798649_10203099932409404_804631941_n_zpsa1d6fee1.jpg

Its 30, here, and no snow.

smokeross
02-07-2014, 18:14
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/1798649_10203099932409404_804631941_n_zpsa1d6fee1.jpg

And Windy.:cool:

Golddog
02-07-2014, 18:35
And in Australia for the past month, some places have regularly experienced temperatures of 115 degrees and hotter. So why is your little corner of the universe the place from which to generalize about the world's long-term climate patterns?

PEC-Memphis
02-07-2014, 18:50
In all fairness, it was never global warming. The environmentalist/scientists/whatever said there would be seriously fluctuating weather patterns....

I call BS on this one.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/08/bergen_county_scientist_who_co.html

A quote from the father of Global Warming:

"If my prediction were based on something that turned out to be correct, I would be proud of it; instead I am embarrassed," says Broecker.

I guess he is a "denier" as well…...

ETA: I see CCB has already responded. We meet again to battle the ignorance stupidity of the champions of anthropomorphic global warming/climate change.

norton
02-07-2014, 18:50
It was -12 when I climbed in the car to go to work today.
Al Gore, you sorry son of a *****, where is my promised global warming?

oldgraywolf
02-07-2014, 18:51
So why is your little corner of the universe the place from which to generalize about the world's long-term climate patterns?

It's the old "make a conclusion and find data to support it" method of scientific analysis.

Dennis in MA
02-07-2014, 19:18
And in Australia for the past month, some places have regularly experienced temperatures of 115 degrees and hotter. So why is your little corner of the universe the place from which to generalize about the world's long-term climate patterns?

115? What is it, a cold front?

Because of a couple of very warm days in January, this winter is about average in my AO. It's just a bit more extreme.

Bruce M
02-07-2014, 20:33
Regardless of change or not, anything below zero sounds and feels cold to me.

curlysir
02-07-2014, 20:39
According to weatherman in Dallas today, average number of freezing days in a winter in Dallas/Ft worth is 33. I think he said we have already had 44 (I know it was 40 something) through today. Doesn't feel like GW to me.

rock_castle
02-07-2014, 21:21
Be careful folks. There was another GW thread a few weeks ago but it was closed by some misguided mod who tried to claim that GW must be happening since apparently Ronald Reagan backed some GW measures during his presidency about 20 years ago. Just a bit irrelevant and simplistic IMO.

Huaco Kid
02-07-2014, 21:57
The lower 48's been cooooolddd!!!!!

My daughters village in, most, mid-west Alaska has been +30 all winter.

Their ocean didn't ice right this year. Their hunting got all messed up.

Their sandbar-village is disintegrating.

Warming is real.

Did we cause it?

I'm not it that camp.

Who knows.

Steel Head
02-07-2014, 22:05
It was 3 here this morning with a bit of new snow, going to warm a bit but 5 days of forecasted snow next:faint:

I was running a loader for the last few days with a functional heater:thumbsup:

The cat even wants to get under the blankets at night.

larry_minn
02-07-2014, 22:57
I am about ready to find a couple dozen old tires, and set them on fire. If everyone would do that weekly. (according to Gore) it might raise temp a degree or so in couple decades....

This weather is killing me. Folks who have no power in this.... I really feel bad for them.

I have tools, knowledge to adapt to no outside power. Thing is I lack the physical ability right now....

paynter2
02-08-2014, 09:25
-24F this morning. It's been like this for nearly two months now. 12 of the last 14 days are -15 or colder.

I don't mind much - our houses are built for this. And everybody has warm clothes. I'm just waiting for it to warm up to -12 or -10 so I can go for my walk. The really cold air is hard on the lungs.

I noticed that the relative humidity is 70% right now - the temp has warmed up to -17. So the RH has fallen. The air in the houses is so dry you have to run a humidifier or things start to crack.

This give a good example of RH vs actual moisture in the air. If you had a RH of 70% in the summer you'd want to die. But, RH is just a relationship between temperature and dew point. Our current DP is -24. With a temp of -17 the RH is 70%. Sounds bad. But it's as dry as a popcorn fart.

Cybercowboy
02-08-2014, 09:49
This give a good example of RH vs actual moisture in the air. If you had a RH of 70% in the summer you'd want to die. But, RH is just a relationship between temperature and dew point. Our current DP is -24. With a temp of -17 the RH is 70%. Sounds bad. But it's as dry as a popcorn fart.

We regularly get days in the summer in the high 90's or even triple digits with RH of 90% or more. Those are fun. :whistling:

paynter2
02-08-2014, 10:07
We regularly get days in the summer in the high 90's or even triple digits with RH of 90% or more. Those are fun. :whistling:

You might get one or the other (90 temp or 90 RH). But you don't get both at the same time. :wavey:

Play with this little calculator = slide the values up and down with your mouse. http://dpcalc.org/

I just set the DP at 75 and the RH at 50%. The temp would have to be 97F with a DP of 75F to give you 50% RH. Ypu'd consider this a stifling day.

People think they see 90% RH on those hot/'humid' days. And, maybe they do (see it). But it's in the morning when the temp has fallen to (close to) the DP. When they are equal - you get dew. That's 100% RH.

The next time you think it's 90F with a RH of 90%. Check the actual RH - it's probably closer to 50% than 90%. Then check the DP - it will be in the low to mid 70's.

Cybercowboy
02-08-2014, 10:12
You might get one or the other (90 temp or 90 RH). But you don't get both at the same time. :wavey:

Play with this little calculator = slide the values up and down with your mouse. http://dpcalc.org/

I just set the DP at 75 and the RH at 50%. The temp would have to be 97F with a DP of 75F to give you 50% RH. Ypu'd consider this a stifling day.

People think they see 90% RH on those hot/'humid' days. And, maybe they do (see it). But it's in the morning when the temp has fallen to (close to) the DP. When they are equal - you get dew. That's 100% RH.

The next time you think it's 90F with a RH of 90%. Check the actual RH - it's probably closer to 50% than 90%. Then check the DP - it will be in the low to mid 70's.

Whatever. Have you ever been to Puerto Vallarta? That has to the the hottest humid place in North America. You literally sweat just standing still, doing nothing, in the shade. If you walk in the sun, you will be soaked in minutes. And the sweat doesn't really evaporate off much if at all. In the jungle there is where they filmed Predator.

BuckyP
02-08-2014, 10:18

:perfect10:

As long as people are getting rich on global warming it will be around.

Remember, if it's hot - global warming, if it's cool - global warming, if temperatures are perfect... you guessed it,,, global warming. :upeyes:

jimbo123
02-08-2014, 10:24

Revisionist history

EdTracker
02-08-2014, 12:32
We've crested the warming trend and now like all things cyclical it is going to trend colder for the next decade or two. Nature abhors a straight line and nothing stays constant for long.

I'm going to buy something AWD with heated seats and deal with our perpetually changing climate.

paynter2
02-08-2014, 13:08
We've crested the warming trend and now like all things cyclical it is going to trend colder for the next decade or two. Nature abhors a straight line and nothing stays constant for long.

I'm going to buy something AWD with heated seats and deal with our perpetually changing climate.

Congrats on your 2000th post! :wavey:

BuckyP
02-08-2014, 13:33

I decided 7 years ago that going forward, as long as I was living in the NE, I'd have a 4WD or AWD vehicle.

curlysir
02-13-2014, 18:40
More Examples of global warming. Great Lakes 87% frozen, could set record next week.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/02/great_lakes_ice_cover_update_t.html

Reyn
02-13-2014, 18:54
Serious question. How do you folks up North keep your pipes from busting? If it dips to 10 degrees here for one night plumbers stay busy.

Cybercowboy
02-13-2014, 18:57
Are you suggesting that somebody has been dishonest to forward a political agenda? I just can't believe anybody would do anything like that.

Frank I will buy you an adult beverage anytime!

ChuteTheMall
02-13-2014, 19:10
I support global warming and I shall endeavor to emit excessive greenhouse gasses to achieve it.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2d6i3r.gif

paynter2
02-13-2014, 19:12
Serious question. How do you folks up North keep your pipes from busting? If it dips to 10 degrees here for one night plumbers stay busy.

I think it's supposed to stay above zero on Sunday night. That will be the first time in (at least) two months. The day-time temp is predicted to be 32F - again, at least two months for that.

Home insulation continues to get better and better. New houses are better insulated than ones built 10 years ago - and those were better than ones built 20 years ago. We spend a lot of money for full-house heating systems.

I don't need central air. It can get very hot/humid in this area - Houston like. But, it doesn't last for months at a time. So, I just have a room A/C unit. Our money is spent on heat and insulation. I bet (new0 southern homes are built with good insulation today. It would save on the A/C bill.

No water pipes are in outside walls. That is a sure freeze problem waiting to happen. I'm not sure of all northern areas, but where I live and where I grew up, most houses have basements. Water works is in the basements. The plumping runs under the floors to the room where the water is needed - it does not run in an outside wall. And, no water heaters in the garage.

We do have freezes here - but it usually isn't pipes. Some trailer houses have problems. That's another issue. Rural sewers - drain fields are problematic. If we don't get a good snow cover (good insulation) and then get -40F temps (or lower), the sewers can freeze. This is more common today than pipe freeze.

BobbyS
02-13-2014, 19:13

70 today and no snow either. Went shooting, beautiful day!

Huaco Kid
02-13-2014, 19:28
If this extremely cold weather helps causes mass extinction of the ticks, chiggers, those little creepy caterpillar things that come out of the basement drains, stink bugs, tent worms, those fake lady bug swarms and fleas, that have been invading us the last few years, I'll gladly throw another bucket of coal in the burner.

Big Bird
02-13-2014, 19:34
Al Gore has made more than $200 million peddling his hoax. If he was in the securities business he would have been in jail 10 years ago.

We are now 2 years away from his prediction of irreversible and dramatic warming with no evidence of warming on the past 16 years.

But of course this is all weather--not to be confused with the climate.....whahhhh hah hah hah...

Dennis in MA
02-13-2014, 19:41
More Examples of global warming. Great Lakes 87% frozen, could set record next week.

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/02/great_lakes_ice_cover_update_t.html

We shall see come December. Many years,a cold winter leads to a warm summer so it averages out. Hell, I'm hoping for a fairly wet spring and a warm summer like we had last year.

Serious answer - basement? Footings need to be 4-6' down, so a basement is just built to house all that stuff, plus unused exercise equipment doubling as a laundry drying rack, boxes of crap from your buddy's last move and. . . Spiders. No freezing allowed.

sputnik767
02-13-2014, 21:33

In all fairness, the fact that the earth has warmed (average global temperature rose) is not up for debate. You can call it global warming or climate change, but the end results don't change. What is up for debate is how much of a role, if any, humanity has played in it. And how much of an effect we can have if we change our ways.

wprebeck
02-14-2014, 09:08
Al Gore has made more than $200 million peddling his hoax. If he was in the securities business he would have been in jail 10 years ago.

We are now 2 years away from his prediction of irreversible and dramatic warming with no evidence of warming on the past 16 years.

But of course this is all weather--not to be confused with the climate.....whahhhh hah hah hah...

As I'm sure you've noticed, we're in the middle of record snowfalls and cold temps here in Kentucky. Last report I read from a local news source (WAVE 3, IIRC) was that we are 12 inches over our average snowfall thus far, and we are expecting 2-4 inches additional snow today.

We've had numerous lows dip into the single digits or even into the negative numbers - I've got a photo of my truck's thermostat showing -2 a couple of months ago. It is usually accurate, when compared to the local news temperatures that are reported.

It's only this week, we've seen temps above freezing here in Louisville, over the last two weeks, I believe. While I don't mind the cold, and even prefer it for certain hunting seasons - deer and waterfowl are done! Bring on the spring weather!!!

walt cowan
02-15-2014, 10:19
thanks to the carbon credit scam, al gore can keep his thermostat set at 80 deg.'s in all of his six houses.