.380 loads for G42 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .380 loads for G42

wlkjr
04-03-2014, 22:20
Just got a G42 and wondering what loads seem to work in it. My loads that work in my Ruger LCP aren't powerful enough to operate the slide in the G42. Has anyone developed a load that will work in the G42? I know some of them can be finicky.

Taterhead
04-03-2014, 22:27
I can't help you with personal experience, but on Youtube Hickock45 did an epic review of the Glock 42. He showed ammo that worked, and ammo that didn't. Might give an idea for where to aim, so to speak.

Here is part 1

Glock 42 - YouTube

dkf
04-03-2014, 22:57
If you are not close to max with the load that works in your LCP I would try upping the charge some to see how it does in the G42.

Colorado4Wheel
04-04-2014, 05:47
I would think a heavier charge of a slower powder would be your best bet.

ChrisJn
04-04-2014, 06:42
My Ruger LCP load of 2.7gr of Acc#2 behind a Berrys 100gr bullet did not work well for me in the G42. Upping the powder .3gr to 3grains cured the problem. Have not had a problem in over 300 rounds.

bush pilot
04-04-2014, 07:25
I would think a heavier charge of a slower powder would be your best bet.

This ^^^^. I developed loads for my LCP and BodyGuard that did not function in the G42. When I bumped the load up it functions without a problem. BTW, a bit north of 3.0grs of 231 and a 100 gr plated bullet.

Kentguy
04-04-2014, 08:49
wlkjr "...Has anyone developed a load that will work in the G42?"

I own a Bersa Thunder 380 which is a bit heaver w/.25" longer barrel length and I "believe" just a bit stronger trigger pull/tension spring (I'm not 100% sure) - Anyway if my loads with run the Bersa they should work the action fine in your G42. Glocks & S&W M&P models have always been know for their "generous" barrels, accepting "most" commercial ammo out there so I don't believe you will have any problem in that reguard. If you are rolling your own and following your load manual's you should find the same is true for your Glock.

Some of my 380 loads;

I use a 95g fmj bullet for target loads (I like "Magtech" bullets), standard Federal or CCI primers work well, and your cleaned brass, avg OAL .975"

Hodgdon Universal @ 3.9g
Accurate Arms #5 @4.7g
Winchester Autocomp @4.2g
Winchester 231 @3.2g
Alliant Bullseye @3.2g

W231 & Bullseye are considered "max" loads in one manual but not in others... The rest are not max loads. I have not have tested these out of a G42 so I can not be sure but my best guess is that some may be a bit "snappy" out of the G42 (slightly smaller/lighter gun) but only testing will let you know that.

Follow your load manual, start low and work your way up. I hope this gives you some idea where to start.

Good luck and be safe out there.

wlkjr
04-04-2014, 17:38
I tried several of the loads I made up last night. According to the two books I have, I used up to the max on Power Pistol, SR4756, and AutoComp. The Autocomp at 4.0 and 4.2 grains with a 100g Hollow base Berry bullet are the only two loads that would work. The Power Pistol at 3.9 almost worked but wouldn't drive the slide back far enough and the next round would stop at the feed ramp. I was at book max on that one and the case looked to be about max unless compressing the load.
I have some Titegroup and Bullseye that I'll try next.
The gun functioned fine with HPR 100 grain factory and the groups were good. Also worked good with the Remington 95 grain. A couple of times the slide did not lock back after the last shot but I've read there is an easy fix for that.
My LCP works great with the light loads. The G42 shoots the light loads like they were .22s, just won't operate the slide.
My wife really likes this gun.

Kentguy
04-06-2014, 09:51
wlkjr "...A couple of times the slide did not lock back after the last shot but I've read there is an easy fix for that."

You should get that looked into by your Glock armor/local gunsmith, that will solve one problem you stated and perhaps others as well. He/she can give you a better idea if your gun if functioning 100% or not.

I have used the Remington 95g bulllets before I like them also. Bullseye with the 95g bullet running them at the upper end of the range should agree with your Glock slide. Generally speaking Glocks need a little stronger kick to get out of their own way. I have own 5 of them down to just 4 now.

I really like Autocomp and don't forget about the old favorite W231 (IMHO) one of the best all around powders out there.

Keep testing, good luck and have fun

sourdough44
04-07-2014, 03:52
Winchester 231 powder rates very well with the 380, it's about all I use with it. The Speer data is on the high side compared to averages in other manuals.

My 2 common bullets are the 90 grn Gold Dot and 100 grn plated. I don't have the Glock 42 but load for my LCP and P238.

ChrisJn
04-07-2014, 06:24
Winchester 231 powder rates very well with the 380, it's about all I use with it. The Speer data is on the high side compared to averages in other manuals.

My 2 common bullets are the 90 grn Gold Dot and 100 grn plated. I don't have the Glock 42 but load for my LCP and P238.

What works well for LCP will NOT necessarily work in the G42, as myself and others have already posted.
G42 reloaders may have to work up another load to get it to shoot satisfactorily.

wlkjr
04-07-2014, 10:08
What works well for LCP will NOT necessarily work in the G42, as myself and others have already posted.
G42 reloaders may have to work up another load to get it to shoot satisfactorily.
Exactly what I have found. My LCP will shoot very light loads but it takes almost max for the G42. I have some test loads made up in Bullseye and Titegroup but it is raining and crappy weather. I may go out if it stops raining and shoot a couple in the ground to see if they will cycle the slide.

Kentguy
04-07-2014, 11:37
Sourdough44 "...The Speer data is on the high side compared to averages in other manuals."

Keep an eye on the "Test Firearm & Barrel Length at the beginning of each caliber listed. This will be the first clue as to how/where they came up with their powder ranges. Other data falls in step as you get into there data listing.

I agree "Speer" does seem to run a bit hotter than some however I have used Speer Data for a long time and sticking to accepted reloading pratice (start low & work up), I have come up with some great loads.

Just for conversation sake, using a 95g fmj bullet w/W231 powder, the difference in powder ranges;
Speer #14 - (TMJ) 3.6g up to 4.0g (max vel 1,027 fps)
Hodgdon 2014 Annual Manual - 2.9g up to 3.2g (884 fps)
Lyman 49th Edition - 2.1g up to 2.9g (939 fps)

My load - 95g fmj w/W231 @ 3.2g came out of my Bersa Thunder 380 at 794 fps (avg) on a hot summer day with almost no wind. Accuracy was outstanding from 15 yards out to 25 yards.

This is where comparison of data coupled with testing out of your gun brings you great ammo.

Have fun and be safe out there

dkf
04-07-2014, 11:54
I tried several of the loads I made up last night. According to the two books I have, I used up to the max on Power Pistol, SR4756, and AutoComp. The Autocomp at 4.0 and 4.2 grains with a 100g Hollow base Berry bullet are the only two loads that would work. The Power Pistol at 3.9 almost worked but wouldn't drive the slide back far enough and the next round would stop at the feed ramp. I was at book max on that one and the case looked to be about max unless compressing the load.
I have some Titegroup and Bullseye that I'll try next.
The gun functioned fine with HPR 100 grain factory and the groups were good. Also worked good with the Remington 95 grain. A couple of times the slide did not lock back after the last shot but I've read there is an easy fix for that.
My LCP works great with the light loads. The G42 shoots the light loads like they were .22s, just won't operate the slide.
My wife really likes this gun.

I would feel confident going a little more than max with Power Pistol with a G42. Load data max is usually on the more conservative side and Power Pistol is not a peaky fast powder. Unless of course you are seeing pressure signs and little to no more velocity increase on the chrono as the charge increases.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2014, 12:55
This is all very interesting. The LCP is stupid easy to load for. Lead, Jacketed, Fast or Slow Powders. My LCP likes them all. That the Glock is so picky and needs such a stout load kinda boggles the mind. They should have just made it a 9mm from the start.

dkf
04-07-2014, 14:22
It appears to me Glock missed the boat on the G42 from several ends.

Kentguy
04-07-2014, 14:35
Colorado4Wheel "...They should have just made it a 9mm from the start."

I wouldn't argue with that, but Glock has been barked at from every corner and for years about why no 380 in the USA?

Since they already have 4 9mm models (and released the Gen 4's not that long ago) it only makes sense that the latest Glock would be something other than yet another 9mm.

If the demand is great enough for a smaller, lighter pocket 9mm you can bet the farm that Glock will soon bring one of those babies out.

Colorado4Wheel
04-07-2014, 14:46
Colorado4Wheel "...They should have just made it a 9mm from the start."

I wouldn't argue with that, but Glock has been barked at from every corner and for years about why no 380 in the USA?

Since they already have 4 9mm models (and released the Gen 4's not that long ago) it only makes sense that the latest Glock would be something other than yet another 9mm.

If the demand is great enough for a smaller, lighter pocket 9mm you can bet the farm that Glock will soon bring one of those babies out.

I get that. It's just the G42 is not that small of a .380. I would bet if the grip was long enough for a 9mm round you could ream the barrel chamber and it would shoot 9mm all day long with out a issue.

If you can't drop the .380 in your pocket then you should have just made it a 9mm in my opinion.

wlkjr
04-07-2014, 17:26
It appears to me Glock missed the boat on the G42 from several ends.
I don't think so. I originally thought it a bad idea but it seems to be taking off. It is thinner than my Nano, although not as powerful. It is more of a range gun than an LCP or other small .380.
I shot my test loads today out of my shop into the dirt outside. The 2.8 Titegroup almost works but causes stovepipes. The 3.0 load works fine. Switching to Bullseye in 2.9 and 3.1 grains, both work and slide locks back on last shot. Since the slide and spring are heavier, it is taking close to max on powder. Not sure about accuracy as I only shot about 6 feet out into the dirt in a ditch. Will test for accuracy at a later date but at least I've found 3 powders that work. It's a nice pistol and I really like it.
Now if Dawson Precision will make a fiber optic sight for it.

dkf
04-07-2014, 17:45
For sights check out Ameriglo's website from time to time. They have 3 different sets of night sights for the G42 right now but they may add a fiber optic front in the future. Does the 42 take the same front sight as the other Glocks?

I was going to get a G42 but reading some of the issues kind of turned me off. I may end up picking one up sometime since I load .380. It would be more for range use than anything as my LCP more suited for carry IMO.

wlkjr
04-07-2014, 18:12
For sights check out Ameriglo's website from time to time. They have 3 different sets of night sights for the G42 right now but they may add a fiber optic front in the future. Does the 42 take the same front sight as the other Glocks?

I was going to get a G42 but reading some of the issues kind of turned me off. I may end up picking one up sometime since I load .380. It would be more for range use than anything as my LCP more suited for carry IMO.
The guy at Dawson told me they are not the same front sight and they don't make one at this time.