First shots with the cast boolits and a chrono! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First shots with the cast boolits and a chrono!

trlcavscout
04-10-2014, 13:59
First off I need to find a portable bullet trap! While trying to grow my lead supply I have become a miser, i shot 3 1/2 to 4 #'s of bullets and came home with 25# of range scrap, so I guess it was a good day! It was to windy to shoot paper so I chronod and shot a little steel, I bought a new Ruger SBH hunter this week and it was sweet! I took some 75-150 yd shots plinking and it was awesome.

So i took the 6" steel plate today as a chrono target and an old archery target bag filled with screen material to try to catch as much lead as I could haha. The bag stopped all factory and reload HP's without causing any expansion at all (GD and XTP) from the Ruger and my G39. It also stopped most of the factory and reload FMJ and plated and 200gr 44 special target loads I made up which are really lite. But when it came to 240 and 258 SWC's with between 7.1 and 8.8gr of Alliant promo they just passed on through which was pretty dang impressive! I borrowed this chrono so I took advantage of it and fired every thing I had through it for future reference, I was surprised at just how slow 45 gap is with 4.3 gr of promo and a 200gr plated bullet.

From what I could find using red dot load data 8.8 is max for the 44 mag with a 240gr LSWC, I averaged 1118 FPS which is good enough for me. I am still trying to find a better powder, but no luck yet.

But all in all my 240's I casted seemed pretty accurate and we're pretty consistent on the chrono so I guess I will cast some more up and Ty to hit some paper if the wind ever quits.

trlcavscout
04-10-2014, 14:00
Oh and does anybody have a good idea for a portable bullet trap that's lite and fairly inexpensive?

Bearlaker
04-10-2014, 14:03
Sounds like you're doing great, congrats! I've got about 80lbs of wheel weights and a 50lb slab of lead, antimony and tin.
That's as far as I've gotten with casting.

Angry Fist
04-10-2014, 14:06
Congrats! I need to look for more lead. The recycling center won't sell it currently, and tire shops stopped giving it away.

trlcavscout
04-10-2014, 15:00
Ya it's not easy to find. I am at around 70# of range scrap and 60# of ready to go ingots! I have a 30-40# of WW coming Saturday and I hope to pick up some more scrap tomorrow. It is taking a while to stock up. I want 300# in reserve before start using to much of it, at 33 +/- boolits per pound I am gonna have to stock pile or start shooting a 357 haha

PCJim
04-10-2014, 16:40
Oh and does anybody have a good idea for a portable bullet trap that's lite and fairly inexpensive?

jmorris has posted a portable, trailered design. It wasn't so long ago, either. You might search by his name for posts, or just wait for him to show up here.

trlcavscout
04-10-2014, 16:58
jmorris has posted a portable, trailered design. It wasn't so long ago, either. You might search by his name for posts, or just wait for him to show up here.

I really like that one but I don't have a welder, if its the one I'm thinking of.

Bearlaker
04-13-2014, 12:51
You could use a block of wood until you get a more useful trap.

trlcavscout
04-13-2014, 19:18
You could use a block of wood until you get a more useful trap.

I tried that yesterday, someone left a couple blocks of wood at the range, I fired one shot into each with 200gr Meister RNFP bullets I had at 960+/- FPS, both went through and I only found one. I need better wood.

PCJim
04-14-2014, 16:21
Use an oak tree. Load it up with lead during the summer months. Burn it in the wood stove in the winter and scoop out the lead.

Seriously, I wouldn't do that to a fine tree. Go to a local scrap yard and find some plate steel. It will be heavy. Mount it on a 45 degree downslope over a sandbox.

Angry Fist
04-14-2014, 16:25
Use an oak tree. Load it up with lead during the summer months. Burn it in the wood stove in the winter and scoop out the lead.

Seriously, I wouldn't do that to a fine tree. Go to a local scrap yard and find some plate steel. It will be heavy. Mount it on a 45 degree downslope over a sandbox.
That's a good idea.