Egg sinker to slug a barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Egg sinker to slug a barrel?

J Lee
04-10-2014, 19:53
Had an employee in a local LGS say he uses a lead egg sinker to slug barrels. Reasoning was the lead is usually a very soft alloy. Anyone try this and any reason not to?

WeeWilly
04-10-2014, 19:56
Yes, egg sinker will work, just make sure it doesn't have anything in it to make it really hard (like antimony, etc.), makes it harder to get through.

J Lee
04-10-2014, 20:12
just make sure it doesn't have anything in it to make it really hard (like antimony, etc.),
Guess I've never noticed or even looked but do the labels usually tell what they are made of?

dkf
04-10-2014, 20:18
Most common lead sinkers/split shot here in the states goes under the name "Water Gremlin" and there is no marking on it that says lead. It does have the required label by California that says it contains lead.(apparently Californians don't know lead contains lead)

You can tell by weight and sound which are lead and which are steel or an other alloy. The non lead weights usually say they are not lead.

For egg sinkers they use pure lead because it is heavier than a lead alloy. Putting a light coating of gun oil on the sinker will help it slide better.

J Lee
04-10-2014, 20:24
Thanks so much. I'll head to the tackle shop this weekend.

PhantomF4E
04-10-2014, 20:41
Most common lead sinkers/split shot here in the states goes under the name "Water Gremlin" and there is no marking on it that says lead. It does have the required label by California that says it contains lead.(apparently Californians don't know lead contains lead)

You can tell by weight and sound which are lead and which are steel or an other alloy. The non lead weights usually say they are not lead.

For egg sinkers they use pure lead because it is heavier than a lead alloy. Putting a light coating of gun oil on the sinker will help it slide better.

Haven't heard that name in a while . I knew the folks who owned Water Gremlin in White Bear Lake Mn. When I was a kid . Actually pinned sinkers for them for a pt job in the early 70's . I think back now, as I am casting up bullets , DANG, If I only knew , I could have gotten a lifetime supply of lead !!!
Egg sinkers work fine , I have used them in the past . I still have a tennis ball tin full of brass sinker pins in my garage lol .. Come in handy for projects every once in a while

mvmojo
04-12-2014, 10:41
Had an employee in a local LGS say he uses a lead egg sinker to slug barrels. Reasoning was the lead is usually a very soft alloy. Anyone try this and any reason not to?

Just watched a YouTube video showing how to cast a slug to use for slugging a barrel. Made sense to me and looked a lot easier than trying to drive an egg sinker or lead ball through the barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso

Three-Five-Seven
04-12-2014, 18:37
Lead is not an alloy-- it's lead.

Pure lead would be the softest and best thing to use.

Unfortunately, sinkers and boat keels are where the junkiest alloy ends up. So, you don't know what you're getting with store-bough sinkers. In all likelihood they are a relatively hard alloy with impurities. If you have a friend who casts sinkers, best ask him to make some up with pure lead.