Captain Obvious shoots at my range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Captain Obvious shoots at my range

njl
04-14-2014, 21:32
So, I'm at the range over the weekend chronographing a few new loads in 9mm, .45acp, and .38spl. Chronograph is out in front of me on a tripod. Log book is on the table in front of me, along with an assortment of ammo in at least a dozen quart-size ziplock bags. An older guy comes up behind me and asks "do you save your brass?"

"Yes, I reload all of it." Meanwhile, I'm thinking "are you seriously asking me if you can take my brass? Can't you see I'm a reloader?!?"

:rofl:

Angry Fist
04-14-2014, 21:58
Did he ask you for brass? You could have been a crime lab geek. :dunno:

:supergrin:

Batesmotel
04-14-2014, 22:00
At least he asked. Better than the toads who say if it hits the ground it is fair game. :steamed:

Paul53
04-15-2014, 09:02
Did I offend you? Sorry bro!

cheygriz
04-15-2014, 10:50
This guy must really get around. He's been present on every range I've ever used.:supergrin:

Dave514
04-15-2014, 10:59
My range says don't pick it up. Not even your own. Brass is property of the range.

I always thought that was odd.

Boxerglocker
04-15-2014, 11:22
My range says don't pick it up. Not even your own. Brass is property of the range.

Totally illegal and can only be enforced if brass falls forward of the firing line based on safety. I wouldn't patron a range that did that BS.

Berto
04-15-2014, 11:42
Totally illegal and can only be enforced if brass falls forward of the firing line based on safety. I wouldn't patron a range that did that BS.

A few outings back, I was at wades, shooting 9mm thru my 3913. I save the brass, so I sweep the bay and the brass immediately behind me to replenish the empty 50 rnd box of AE I just shot.
A guy in next bay looks at me, shakes his head and says something to his friend.
I look at guy, shrug, and ask, 'I piss you off or something?'
He goes, 'you're not supposed to pick up the brass'
I go, 'why not? It's my ammo and my brass. It's not like I'm stealing it. I paid for it.'
He goes, 'the range doesn't want people picking up the brass.'

I said, 'too bad.'

I've never had anyone working at the range say that. They may come by and sweep brass downrange out of the bays after people shoot, but nothing like telling people they can't pick up their brass in a safe area.

Angry Fist
04-15-2014, 11:52
They keep a box or two of mixed brass for people to dump theirs into. I just keep mine. Surely, someone comes along and takes it all.

Dave514
04-15-2014, 12:00
I don't reload so it's not a big deal for me. I always figured they sell it and that helps offset the cost of running the range to some degree. If I were a reloader it might be a different story.

I only go there a couple times a year and I don't really like indoor ranges with other people I don't know in them so it's convenient at off peak times.

But I can see where people would avoid them and their brass policy.

Boxerglocker
04-15-2014, 12:00
A few outings back, I was at wades, shooting 9mm thru my 3913. I save the brass, so I sweep the bay and the brass immediately behind me to replenish the empty 50 rnd box of AE I just shot.
A guy in next bay looks at me, shakes his head and says something to his friend.
I look at guy, shrug, and ask, 'I piss you off or something?'
He goes, 'you're not supposed to pick up the brass'
I go, 'why not? It's my ammo and my brass. It's not like I'm stealing it. I paid for it.'
He goes, 'the range doesn't want people picking up the brass.'

I said, 'too bad.'

I've never had anyone working at the range say that. They may come by and sweep brass downrange out of the bays after people shoot, but nothing like telling people they can't pick up their brass in a safe area.

Yup Wades, what a joke that place is... one place specifically I will not patron because of their idiotic policy's.

FiremanMike
04-15-2014, 12:14

And that'd be the absolute last time I'd shoot at that range.

gwalchmai
04-15-2014, 18:06

I always thought that was odd.I would explain that if I couldn't keep my brass they'd lose my business. I bet they'd make an exception. They'd be fools not to.

njl
04-15-2014, 18:33

I wouldn't shoot at such a place if I had other options, but are you sure that's illegal? On the one hand, I would think that a private establishment can set whatever rules they like, and if you don't like them, don't go there. On the other, it's a fine line between that and "anything you drop on the floor belongs to the range." To a reloader, each .45acp casing is like a nickel or a dime. If you dropped a handful (or two big handfuls) of change on the floor somewhere, it doesn't immediately cease to be your $.

Anyway, the range where I shoot is a private gun club / outdoor range...and yeah, I have actually had my brass stolen there once by someone who quietly came up behind me and picked up my brass while I was still shooting in a "semi-private" bay.

People like this make me want to put up a sign when I'm at the range:

Feel free to pick up my brass.

I like it bagged and sorted by caliber please.

CarryTexas
04-15-2014, 19:23
Did I read somewhere that in California because of lead contamination that if your brass hits the floor you can't pick it up?

I've heard of ranges doing this and I wouldn't spend a dime in one. At the range I shoot at most I have had the RSO sweep piles of brass to me so I could pick through it.

fredj338
04-15-2014, 20:50

Seriously, find another range. I always pick my brass up, regardless. If they toss me, their loss.

fredj338
04-15-2014, 20:55
Did I read somewhere that in California because of lead contamination that if your brass hits the floor you can't pick it up?

I've heard of ranges doing this and I wouldn't spend a dime in one. At the range I shoot at most I have had the RSO sweep piles of brass to me so I could pick through it.

Pure BS. Some idiot may tell you that, but it's BS. Same thing is told to the tire people; can't give or sell lead wheel weights, against the EPA rules. They just can't toss it in the trash.:dunno:

WeeWilly
04-15-2014, 21:07
Pure BS. Some idiot may tell you that, but it's BS. Same thing is told to the tire people; can't give or sell lead wheel weights, against the EPA rules. They just can't toss it in the trash.:dunno:

I agree, although one of the local indoor ranges had to remove the brooms used for sweeping up brass and replace them with a flat roller kind of thing. Whatever the local equivalent to OSHA dropped in and said the brooms stirred too much lead into the atmosphere. I guess he got there on a slow day when nobody was shooting...

dkf
04-15-2014, 23:29

They sweep up the brass and sell it. Just lines their pockets with more cash. Best to let ranges with policies like that go out of business.

I shoot at an outdoor range/club. But you still get the old codgers with no life that try to swipe brass whenever they can. I'll bet dollars to pesos they don't actually use even a third of what they collect either.

ca survivor
04-16-2014, 09:50
the range I go to, they sweep the brass next to me, so it be easier for me to pick it up.

Lt. Donn
04-16-2014, 17:16
I instruct at a new Indoor Shooting Range, where periodically, [we] sweep the brass to one side to avoid anyone slipping on a loose casing(s)...other than that, you can pick it all up if you want...we want happy shooters

gwalchmai
04-16-2014, 17:36
One guy at one local ATL range told me that the reloads they sell at the range (Atlanta Ammo around here) are cheaper because the range recycles its brass through them. Smells like teen spirit to me, though. Most ranges I've been to are reasonable and haven't tried to steal my brass. None have complained about other shooters giving me their brass, either. I guess really that the vast majority of shooters at indoor ranges don't even think about keeping their brass, so reloaders are not a drop in the bucket.

ChaseUK02
04-16-2014, 18:38
At least he asked. Better than the toads who say if it hits the ground it is fair game. :steamed:

Seriously? Has someone really done that to you? What an ass.

PCJim
04-16-2014, 20:32
The way I look at it, if I'm leaving with range brass, I'll probably lose it at the same range the next time I return. I've mentioned this to the local Range Manager before while picking up brass - he smiled and walked away.

gwalchmai
04-16-2014, 20:43
I once saw a redneckish looking guy take an entire 5 gallon bucket full of range brass, floor sweepings, chaw, and God-knows-what-all and dump it into his range bag as he was leaving the range I used to frequent. No one said anything to him.

cheygriz
04-16-2014, 20:48
It that was the only range available to me, I'd shoot revolvers there!:tongueout::tongueout:

unclebob
04-18-2014, 11:37
For the indoor range I use a Bubca to catch the brass. It does not catch all the brass but most. What hits the floor I sweep up. At the outdoor range I use a 6X8 mesh tarp to catch the brass. People might say you reload or that is a great idea. No one has tried in taking any brass. I bought the Buba can when it was a lot cheaper.
www.bubca.com

Mayhem like Me
04-18-2014, 11:39
Captain Obvious meet Major Jump to conclusions

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

aerod1
04-19-2014, 14:51
Well, I must admit, I am a brass whore ! If it is obvious I am the only reloader and the rest are not saving their brass, I will get all I can. :-)

PhantomF4E
04-19-2014, 15:35
The range I shoot at , if it's not crowded , I'll ask the guys around me ,(if I don't think they reload ) if they keep their brass. I tell them i'll sweep their stalls and keep it out from under their feet . Once asked a couple fellas shooting High end .45's if they reloaded , they looked at me with my bucket , and got kind of snarky and said yeah , you can't have any of it . Almost walked away , but I said no, you don't understand . I don't shoot .45 and I just swept up about 500 of them , you want'em ? The snark went away "real fast" and I ended up having a decent conversation with them . Guess I didn't fit the description of a reloader to them, they thought I was a scavenger or something . Might have been the shoulder length hair that I wear to disguise my right wing , bitter clinger self . :rofl:

maxmanta
04-19-2014, 18:21
If I can't keep the brass then I'm not sweeping it up for them.

maxmanta
04-19-2014, 18:22
Referring to the thread title, the guy is not Captain Obvious. Captain Oblivious, maybe.

Jack Ryan
04-19-2014, 19:09
So, I'm at the range over the weekend chronographing a few new loads in 9mm, .45acp, and .38spl. Chronograph is out in front of me on a tripod. Log book is on the table in front of me, along with an assortment of ammo in at least a dozen quart-size ziplock bags. An older guy comes up behind me and asks "do you save your brass?"

"Yes, I reload all of it." Meanwhile, I'm thinking "are you seriously asking me if you can take my brass? Can't you see I'm a reloader?!?"

:rofl:

This is all it takes to bother you?

gwalchmai
04-19-2014, 21:45
I've never run into a non-reloader who wouldn't offer me his brass when I told him I reload. They usually want to know all about reloading, too, so I talk their ears off about it.

njl
04-19-2014, 22:17
I've never run into a non-reloader who wouldn't offer me his brass when I told him I reload. They usually want to know all about reloading, too, so I talk their ears off about it.

I try...but some just have their heads firmly in the sand. I was in a gun shop today and a guy was buying one box of Blazer 115gr. I asked him how much it was. $18.95! "Wow...I'm glad I reload."
"You can't save anything reloading 9mm...maybe a dollar or two a box."
I started doing some mental math, but cut it short...figuring the stupid is strong in this one...let him go.

It's really not hard to reload 9mm for about $6/box if you don't have to buy brass (who buys 9mm brass?)...and that's without getting into casting.

gwalchmai
04-19-2014, 22:22
Yeah, brass adds a lot to the cost. I have a good bit of old stock primers, powder, and boolits, so my per round cost is relatively low. All my equipment is long paid off, too, but someone just starting out has a long way to go to get to that point.

ShaneS
04-24-2014, 17:57
Some of the newer fancier indoor ranges I've seen have grates that are built into the floor and collect the brass when it hits the ground. I won't shoot at one.

If I shoot at an indoor range I take loads with worn out brass that I don't mind losing.

njl
04-24-2014, 18:10
Some of the newer fancier indoor ranges I've seen have grates that are built into the floor and collect the brass when it hits the ground. I won't shoot at one.

I haven't seen one like that, but it makes sense. Without anyone sweeping, brass won't accumulate on the floor where someone might slip on it, and it automagically steals everyone's brass, so they can collect and sell it.

cfrye11
04-24-2014, 18:22
We clean our range when we are done. We can keep our brass and if we are not the club has special barrels for brass if we do not want it they will sell it to pay for up grades.

We can not mine lead. (Not sure why or why not)

cftye11

Militant Gay
04-24-2014, 18:27
I don't get it. If you bring brass to the range, you should be able to leave with it. I only shoot at ranges that allow me to pick up brass and I don't even reload. My best friend's father in law reloads and he's a really great guy so I give as much brass as I can. It comes back around nicely when we invite him to shoot with us. He just lets us have at his ammo.

PCJim
04-24-2014, 22:09
Shoot a wheel gun. You won't lose any brass unless you've butter fingers.

Jack Ryan
04-24-2014, 23:22
I don't "get" people who don't get it or don't understand this simple thing. What is so hard to understand about you are voluntarily going some place you don't own. Some one ELSE owns and runs the range. They decide how they want to run it and you decide if you want to go there or not. You don't make the rules, the owner does. You freely decide to got there or not.

That's how it is. How is that so difficult to comprehend?

trlcavscout
04-25-2014, 08:07
I normally shoot outdoors, I do pick up brass and boolits. There are a few scavengers who like to get the brass and sell it and I am ok with that, as long as they beat me to it. The closest indoor range was the first in the area and they charge a fortune to shoot there and you can't pick up your brass so I don't go.

I miss living in Las Vegas I used to go to the indoor range at lunch and it only cost like $6?

ShaneS
04-25-2014, 09:58
I don't "get" people who don't get it or don't understand this simple thing. What is so hard to understand about you are voluntarily going some place you don't own. Some one ELSE owns and runs the range. They decide how they want to run it and you decide if you want to go there or not. You don't make the rules, the owner does. You freely decide to got there or not.

It's just a discussion. It's what people do on forums. Some have no options on ranges and are frustrated with the policy of the range near them. Others, like myself, have options and choose not to patronize such ranges. It's fun to share stories and experiences.

I occasionally ask people for their brass if it looks like they don't reload. I would certainly confront someone who was taking my brass. People like that really get on my nerves.

unclebob
04-25-2014, 10:32

Not everything is so cut and dry. I have a choice of going to a range 10 miles away that I can get to every week that has restrictions. Or do I travel 50 miles one way that I might get to once or twice a month that has no restrictions?
But do these ranges that do not allow picking up brass have restrictions of using a brass catcher?

Brian Lee
04-25-2014, 18:58

Same here. And I'd make a point of telling the owner exactly why I'll never be back. Nobody's telling me that they now own my brass.

glock collector
04-26-2014, 07:15
Here, what hits the ground, stays..or ya can go somewhere else and play scrap whore. Let me explain before the bashing. The general public is NOT safe alot of the times, for example one ole fart walks in front of another shooter(loaded, ready position) cause his brass was under the other shooters feet, another is bugging shooters while they are shooting, creating once again another safety/liability issue. Pay my insurance and take full responsibility for these folks, come and pick up all ya want. Remember the rules are intended for the stupid people, the safe ones dont need em.

rock_castle
04-26-2014, 07:32
Just because my property exits my gun doesn't mean I forfeit ownership. Ranges that steal my property would lose my business.

dkf
04-26-2014, 08:05
Here, what hits the ground, stays..or ya can go somewhere else and play scrap whore. Let me explain before the bashing. The general public is NOT safe alot of the times, for example one ole fart walks in front of another shooter(loaded, ready position) cause his brass was under the other shooters feet, another is bugging shooters while they are shooting, creating once again another safety/liability issue. Pay my insurance and take full responsibility for these folks, come and pick up all ya want. Remember the rules are intended for the stupid people, the safe ones dont need em.

Then tell the "ole fart" to leave or go into the baby bottle making business instead. Sounds like your RO is worthless. There are a lot of other ranges in the country whom don't have asinine brass policies and do just fine. You need liability regardless these days.

gwalchmai
04-26-2014, 08:27
Here, what hits the ground, stays..or ya can go somewhere else and play scrap whore. Let me explain before the bashing. The general public is NOT safe alot of the times, for example one ole fart walks in front of another shooter(loaded, ready position) cause his brass was under the other shooters feet, another is bugging shooters while they are shooting, creating once again another safety/liability issue. Pay my insurance and take full responsibility for these folks, come and pick up all ya want. Remember the rules are intended for the stupid people, the safe ones dont need em.Businesses which have no respect for their patrons wind up with the patrons they deserve.

Vartarg
04-28-2014, 12:04

It was my brass when I came to the range, and it'll be my brass when I leave....not much room for misunderstanding there. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2014, 13:26

Unless they tell me that BEFORE I pay the fee to get in I would ignore the rule the first time. Then I would NEVER, EVER got back.

gwalchmai
04-28-2014, 13:34
What if they post a sign on the door going out saying that any currency you bring into the range belongs to the range?

dkf
04-28-2014, 16:52
What if they post a sign on the door going out saying that any currency you bring into the range belongs to the range?

Brass is worth money and money can buy brass. Close enough to the same. Even blown out brass that can't be reloaded is worth scrap price.

CarryTexas
04-28-2014, 17:01
A range can make policies like this if they wish, but we can choose not to shoot there. And enough people choose to shoot elsewhere maybe they will rethink it.

I would never give anyone my money that had this policy.

unclebob
04-28-2014, 18:09
In no way in hell am defending ranges that have a no pickup brass policy. But probably for every 1 reloader there are probably 10 to 15 or more that are not. And the range uses the brass and lead to supplement their income. I donít think that I have ever seen anyone other than me that picked up there brass and saved it other than me were reloaders at the indoor range. They just swept it up and put it in the brass bucket. The ones at the outdoor range was either giving the brass to someone else they new or was thinking about getting into reloading.

dkf
04-28-2014, 18:27
It depends on the area you live in. In my area shooting is big and reloading is big. LOTS or reloaders and shops around to support the habit. That is why the private outdoor range I belong to is bare of brass.

Rustyinfla
04-29-2014, 05:26
At least one of the indoor ranges near me won't allow you to shoot reloads in their range.

To me brass is like gold, I treat it as such.

njl
04-29-2014, 05:36
At least one of the indoor ranges near me won't allow you to shoot reloads in their range.

To me brass is like gold, I treat it as such.

Shoot Straight?

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2014, 07:11
How would they even know your shooting reloads?

FiremanMike
04-29-2014, 07:42

I had a gun range open my boxes of ammo and visually inspect my rounds to make sure I wasn't shooting lead. For that and other reasons, that was the last time I shot there..

ShaneS
04-29-2014, 10:41
I had a gun range open my boxes of ammo and visually inspect my rounds to make sure I wasn't shooting lead. For that and other reasons, that was the last time I shot there..

I've had the same experience. One range inspected my ammo and wouldn't let me shoot my reloads - but allowed me to pick up my brass. I wouldn't have shot there except I had driven quite a distance and had a free hour range coupon. I had to buy some ammo there to shoot. Haven't shot there since!

It's amazing some gun stores and ranges are still in business. It's like some of them don't understand how business and marketing works or don't care.

gwalchmai
04-29-2014, 11:08
It's amazing some gun stores and ranges are still in business. It's like some of them don't understand how business and marketing works or don't care. A lot of the guys who work there are still getting over their trauma.
http://www.fromthedpad.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/BigLebowski.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2014, 11:36

The Irony is that unless you buy special ammo, the cheap FMJ stuff has an exposed lead base just like a lead bullet. So it's hardly going to make a difference in the end. The difference in smoke is the lube not the lead bullet. :upeyes:

Indoor ranges are a dangerous place from a lot of perspectives. I prefer to shoot outside.

CarryTexas
04-29-2014, 11:39
My local range will allow reloads just not cast lead. It has to be jacketed and their reason is the smoke from the lube.

unclebob
04-29-2014, 11:41

They probably have a ****ey ventilation system.

njl
04-29-2014, 11:53

I've been to indoor ranges where they ask to see your ammo before you go in. If your ammo is loose in a can, in ziplock bags, or non-jacketed, those are all pretty good signs of reloads.

This is why it's a good idea to save some factory ammo boxes.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

uhlawpup
04-29-2014, 12:40

Since this is a discussion and I'm always ready to learn something new, can you tell me what law is being violated?

I don't have much time, but I took a quick look at your state's statutes an didn't see anything outlawing a shooting range having a no pick up policy.

Inquiring minds want to know...:whistling:

rhino673
04-29-2014, 12:52
That happened to me a quite a few years ago. I looked behind me and saw one of the weird old timers that always seems to be hanging around at the range, behind me with one of those wire drum brass collectors. At first I thought he was just being nice and picking up my brass for me until he started to stroll off to his bench with it. I said " Hello!? Hey Sir , I think you just picked up my brass."
He shrugged and said " I didn't figure you needed it. I reload it"
I asked how "How did you figure that? You should ask. I reload too"

I guess he finally realized he was in the wrong and said he just assumed I didn't reload because, at the time, I had my ammo in factory boxes. I said it might be a good idea to ask in the future.
He was still reluctant about giving back the brass though. :upeyes:

seventrs
05-04-2014, 07:27
I get funny looks when I sweep up my brass. I sweep the whole area into a pileand get mine out. 45 and 38 super are the only pistol caliber I load so that makes it easy. The rest gets dumped in the brass bucket. I'm too lazy to sort out the stuff I don't need at home.

R*E
05-04-2014, 16:01
One of the local ranges around me does that also. According to the folks at range, it's a stupid rule by either OSHA/EPA/local agency and they had to comply in order to open up their business. It is meant to hassle both the range and it's customers. The folks at this range are pretty cool and I go there during my lunch hour to shoot.

Curiously enough, .22 are exempt from this rule.

SpringerTGO
05-08-2014, 14:15

So your customers who reload are "scrap whores"? Nice!
I would guess (on the average) your typical "scrap whore" is a "scrap whore" because they spend more time shooting than the average person buying factory ammo at retail. I would also guess they spend more money on shooting supplies, accessories, and guns. I would also guess that because "scrap whores" shoot more, they influence a lot of new shooters as to what they buy, where they buy it, where and how they practice.

No doubt your attitude towards "scrap whores" comes across loud and clear. I hope your business gets all of the success it deserves.

By the way, why are you hanging in a reloading section with a bunch of "scrap whores"?

One more thing.
Can you point to any instances of people being shot on ranges this way?

rhino673
05-08-2014, 15:07
So at the end of the day you collect all the scrap and sell it for the highest price right? Who's the "scrap whore" now.
:whistling:

390ish
05-08-2014, 21:37
I can't stand indoor ranges.

Photoman642
05-17-2014, 12:50
For the indoor range I use a Bubca to catch the brass.

Come on guys! This is a Glock forum. Your face catches the brass! :rofl:

ALBin517
05-22-2014, 10:53
My nearest private indoor range is both "leave your brass" and "no reloads allowed." I don't know anybody who goes there.