Anybody Get Powder From Midsouth Today? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Get Powder From Midsouth Today?

gunowner1
04-15-2014, 17:40
I was out fishing this evening and missed out on what Midsouth Shooter's had. I was still amazed to see that they had pretty much any pistol powder somebody could want. Maybe that's a good sign. Hopefully we will start seeing things come back soon. Here's what they had, titegroup, blue dot, green dot, power pistol, W231, bullseye, and unique. I hope a few of you guys got something you need.

CarryTexas
04-15-2014, 19:18
I guess they didn't have any 8# jugs of W231 since I've had 3 on back order for almost a year.

Hopefully that means that they will fill my order soon.

PCJim
04-15-2014, 20:34
I checked their website around 4pm EDT. They were not listing any of the powders you identified as in stock.

Are you sure one of your reloading/shooting buddies isn't pulling your chain?

gunowner1
04-16-2014, 01:25
If you unclick the " view in stock only" button on gunbot and scroll down you can see all those powders I listed with "Sold Out" next to them.

dla
04-16-2014, 09:24
If you unclick the " view in stock only" button on gunbot and scroll down you can see all those powders I listed with "Sold Out" next to them.

Sold out when? Does it show that with gunbot? How do I know it wasn't sold out a year or two ago?

gunowner1
04-16-2014, 10:11
It has how many hour ago it was posted. As of right now it shows all those powders being sold out seventeen hours ago.

Colorado4Wheel
04-16-2014, 11:52
I just have to say. This is all becoming WAY to much trouble. I don't have the energy or time to just look at this all the time. I may end up stop shooting if this doesn't get back to a version of normal in the next 6 months.

J Lee
04-16-2014, 12:36
I've had 2 4lb jugs of Power Pistol on BO at MS since December that didn't get filled.

J Lee
04-16-2014, 12:40
I guess they didn't have any 8# jugs of W231 since I've had 3 on back order for almost a year.

Hopefully that means that they will fill my order soon.
GunBot shows that the 8 lb jugs is what came in and sold. Not sure how they missed it if that is what actually came in.

CarryTexas
04-16-2014, 13:23
GunBot shows that the 8 lb jugs is what came in and sold. Not sure how they missed it if that is what actually came in.

Sounds like Gunbot is misreporting something. I am sure I am not the only one waiting to get a W231 order filled.

PCJim
04-16-2014, 13:23
Timing is everything! Guess I checked too early in the day. I hadn't seen W231 available in a while, a long while.

My theory that Hodgdon was going to allow the Winchester powder lineup to slowly fade away has been proven as bunk.

J Lee
04-16-2014, 13:28
Sounds like Gunbot is misreporting something. I am sure I am not the only one waiting to get a W231 order filled.
I emailed MS and was told backorders are filled before any is made available for general sale.

gunowner1
04-16-2014, 20:09
Something is fishy there. If you had it on back order and they fill them first why didn't you get your order filled. I suspect Gunbot is to blame. It is odd that they had all the powders we are dying to get listed at one time.

CarryTexas
04-16-2014, 20:40
I checked just a few hours ago and they're still showing back ordered. I'd bet Gunbot showed this in error...

It's also possible that Midsouth did get some in, but it was used to fill other backorders. Maybe it showed in stock when it was checked in.

Regardless, I doubt they will have any of the popular pistol powders available for sale for long time.

As part of this same order I got a bunch of SPP, SRP and H-335. I received that stuff before Christmas. If I could get my W231 I'd be set for awhile.

mvmojo
04-18-2014, 08:18
Have had an 8 lb. jug of W231 on order from MidSouth for well over a year! Ditto for Large Pistol Primers. Still showing as on backorder. FWIW, MidSouth has told me several times that backorders are filled in the order they were received and that they are filled before any other sales...

thomas15
04-18-2014, 18:49
I was assured by midsouth that none of the powder went to new sales, all went to fill back orders. I have 231 and tightgroup on BO for over 6 months.

Having said that my problem with pistol powder availability is the with the manufacturers. It is true that demand is very high but demand has been high for 18 months now and the suppliers like Hodgdon have not done what any other manufacturing company in the world would do. I know some will defend them and say that building new plants and installing new machinery would be a bad business practice since it would take years to get on line and the shortages will only last a short time.

They don't have to spend money on new factories to start making a dent in their backlog. They could use what they have to the max, run 24/7 , other things are options. Instead, they are blaming the consumer for this shortage.

We as the consumer have no idea what the powder compnies are doing but we can be certain that if they were serious about making us happy it would be in the news. The truth of the matter is there is very little pistol powder out there at any price. The powder compnies are simply not shipping any for the consumer market. I know some do not want to believe this but their only rebuttle relies on taking the powder manufactures word for it and they, the powder manufactures, are not providing any data to support the claim.

mvmojo
04-18-2014, 19:38
From Hodgdon's web site FWIW:

Why canít I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components Ė including all Hodgdon powders Ė are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealerís
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealerís stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please donít believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.

thomas15
04-18-2014, 19:57
Do a little research and figure out who owns the factories that produce Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester.

Taken at face value, Hodgdon claims that 80% of their customer base is the handloader. That means that the other 20% of their customer base is getting most if not all of their pistol powders. There isn't any pistol powder out there, with the exception of a few pounds here and there.

When this is all over, there is going to be lots of former powder retailers out there. I think that the powder suppliers want to sell to the commercial ammunition market and not the consumer reloaders market, this for several reasons, mainly to have better control over liability and to simplify distribution.

Every other aspect of firearms shortages have basically resolved itself except gun powder. And there is no end in sight for that to be resolved. If we are lucky, it will be two years from now, probably more like four years.

The sooner we come to grips with the situation, the happier we as individuals will be. The situation stinks and is in my opinion, only going to get stinkier.