So I've been out of the reloading game for a while... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I've been out of the reloading game for a while...

Cinic
04-16-2014, 15:38
And it appears there's a bit of a run on components.

Reloading was a hobby I enjoyed but life got in the way and the press was put away for a few years. I've got some more free time opening up and was looking to break out the 550 and pump out a few rounds.

Where's a guy supposed to go to get some plated bullets (.40 and/or .357 mag) and a few pounds of powder these days?

Or am I better off getting out the golf clubs and forgetting reloading for the time being?

J Lee
04-16-2014, 15:45
Everthings pretty much available but powder. Berry's, Xtreme plated and even Precision Delta FMJ's are just a click away. Get in line for powder.

PCJim
04-16-2014, 15:58
Bullets and primers are available. Your LGS may be the best place to find small lots of usable powder, for the time being.

Golf? I used to. Now, I look at a golf course and think, "What a waste for what could have been an excellent rifle range."

F106 Fan
04-16-2014, 16:23
Powder is a problem! Get up really early in the morning and check gunbot.net to see if anybody has anything. Then check a few times throughout the day. Powder shows up every once in awhile but it doesn't last long.

Richard

IndyGunFreak
04-16-2014, 16:34
Tjconevera.com has most of Berry's bullets in stock.

fredj338
04-16-2014, 18:04
As noted, powder is the issue right now. If you have a local skeet/trap range, check them for shtotgun powders. Most if not all can be used for any handgun caliber.

njl
04-16-2014, 18:24
BTW...if you're thinking plated bullets because "they're cheaper than jacketed", you might want to consider the latest rage: Coated bullets. Several bullet makers are now selling lead bullets coated with a tumble-on/bake-to-dry finish that's extremely durable and doesn't smoke like lubed lead or even like bare lead (on the backs of FMJs).

Off the top of my head, there's Bayou, Black Bullets International, Black and Blue Bullets, and SNS Casting all using the same Hi-Tek coating. The Blue Bullets uses something similar, but not Hi-Tek AFAIK. And Precision Bullets uses an older dry-lube coating on swaged bullets.

Any of these are probably cheaper than plated.

SJ 40
04-16-2014, 18:38
And it appears there's a bit of a run on components.

Reloading was a hobby I enjoyed but life got in the way and the press was put away for a few years. I've got some more free time opening up and was looking to break out the 550 and pump out a few rounds.

Where's a guy supposed to go to get some plated bullets (.40 and/or .357 mag) and a few pounds of powder these days?

Or am I better off getting out the golf clubs and forgetting reloading for the time being?And it appears there's a bit of a run on components.

A bit of a understatement. SJ 40

Cinic
04-17-2014, 08:35
Thanks for the insight fellas.

FLSlim
04-17-2014, 13:01
Leave the clubs in the closet.

As others said, powder is the issue, but if you dog the gunbot site or routinely scout your local gun shops, powder is out there. A couple of weeks ago I was on a trip to see my son & grandkids in Baton Rouge and the local Cabela's had a nice selection of pistol and rifle powders on the shelf (all 1 lb).

PCJim
04-17-2014, 14:45
As an example, Natchez had 1# Vargets today for about 15 minutes. I considered purchasing some, but their 10# limit would have been $250 + s/h + hm. That puts it close to $30/#, too much per pound for me so I didn't bite. Others obviously did as it didn't last long.