Is there a "Best" reloading manual? Which one do you like best? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "Best" reloading manual? Which one do you like best?

Smooth_squeeze
04-17-2014, 21:46
Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms here.... but which reloading manual is the best, in your opinion?

And if there are two, please tell me which ones they are...

Thanks.

Taterhead
04-17-2014, 21:55
"Best" manual for "how to reload" is the Speer manual. Great instructions and separate sections for rifle and pistol.

Hornady has extensive load data. Examples are separate pages for 223 and 556. It has an extensive list of cartridges. I find myself referring to the load data in Hornady often, and cross-checking against powder mfg websites.

Lyman for cast bullets.

WeeWilly
04-17-2014, 22:13
"Best" manual for "how to reload" is the Speer manual. Great instructions and separate sections for rifle and pistol.

Hornady has extensive load data. Examples are separate pages for 223 and 556. It has an extensive list of cartridges. I find myself referring to the load data in Hornady often, and cross-checking against powder mfg websites.

Lyman for cast bullets.

I agree.

I shoot a lot of Hornaday bullets, so I use their book quite a bit for load data.

I use the Lee 2nd Edition when I am looking at something odd ball and need a place to start. They have a lot of old loads others never brought along. Also, if you can get through his perpetual sales pitch when reading the how to section, Richard Lee dispels a lot of old wives tales about reloading, if you read the whole thing through.

Colorado4Wheel
04-17-2014, 22:21
I like the Lyman for load data. Dillon has a great manual for die setup and what you need to do to reload properly.

JBnTX
04-17-2014, 22:25
I like Hodgdon's Reloading Data. It's free.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

And the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/cast-bullet4.php

fredj338
04-17-2014, 23:03
I like Lyman & Speer because the have lead bullet data.

blastfact
04-18-2014, 00:04
You can't have to much data. It's all good! I like the older books with the pre lawyer loads. I also only buy load books in hardback.

Three-Five-Seven
04-18-2014, 00:25
The more the better. But, my go-to manual is Speer and then Lyman. I always consult the Hornady manual too, because its data is the most conservative.

Kentguy
04-18-2014, 05:45
The more load data you have the better your decision making will be. However if you were to just pick two as you asked I would pick up a copy of "Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition" and "Speer Reloading Manual #14".

Uncle Don
04-18-2014, 05:49
I use the Lyman 47 and the Lee 2nd primarily because it's easy to find data and also lead loads.

That said, and I'm dating myself, my Ken Waters "Pet loads" books are well worn from a lot of use over the years.

Smooth_squeeze
04-18-2014, 06:01
Thank you, Taterhead.

Just what I was looking for. Years ago (over 4 decades ago) I reloaded for several rifle calibers. However, I lost the manuals and figured there had been some "improvements" in the meantime. Most of what I shoot these days are pistols/revolvers, 44 mag being the most costly. Hence, your answer is right on target. The cost of commercial ammo in 44 mag is no joke.

Thanks again.

Lyman for cast bullets.

Smooth_squeeze
04-18-2014, 06:03
Thank you.

I like the Lyman for load data. Dillon has a great manual for die setup and what you need to do to reload properly.

Smooth_squeeze
04-18-2014, 06:03
Thank you very much!

I like Hodgdon's Reloading Data. It's free.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

And the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/cast-bullet4.php

Smooth_squeeze
04-18-2014, 06:22
Thank you, sir. Very helpful.

I use the Lyman 47 and the Lee 2nd primarily because it's easy to find data and also lead loads.

That said, and I'm dating myself, my Ken Waters "Pet loads" books are well worn from a lot of use over the years.

Colorado4Wheel
04-18-2014, 07:21

its like we are "brothers from a different mother", I use the same two books exactly.:wavey:

MyGunCulture
04-18-2014, 08:22
I really like the Sierra and Hornady manuals, but I think the Lyman one is the most "general purpose" and least specific to a bullet brand, so it tends to have a lot of options on projectile types.

Look at the bright side, you've got a pre-done list of future gift ideas for Birthdays etc :-)

PCJim
04-18-2014, 08:48
I have Lyman, three Speer and a Hornady on the bench, along with several well dated from various powder manufacturers. As stated, Lyman is best for lead, Hornady for general bullet designs. Speer is third, but their older manuals (#8 & 10) are used quite a bit for old recipes.

Colorado4Wheel
04-18-2014, 11:51
but I think the Lyman one is the most "general purpose" and least specific to a bullet brand, so it tends to have a lot of options on projectile types.

That is why I like the Lyman.

marvin
04-18-2014, 13:15
I'm not sure if hodgdon still makes them anymore, but I have a no. 27 data manual that has data for hodgdon powders plus alliant, imr, and winchester. It works great for comparing loads, I also have a couple of reloading guides for older Hercules data that really helps if you find a good deal on red dot or herco and can't find data.