Chronograph recommendation? Is there one compatible with an iPad or iPhone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph recommendation? Is there one compatible with an iPad or iPhone?

CDR_Glock
04-18-2014, 06:53
Is there a chronograph that feeds into an iPhone or iPad that allows one to match up load data with chronograph measurements?

dla
04-18-2014, 08:56
Is there a chronograph that feeds into an iPhone or iPad that allows one to match up load data with chronograph measurements?

I'll write the code for the app if you get the bluetooth interface into the chronograph. This is an obvious improvement that has been missing for years now.

trlcavscout
04-18-2014, 10:00
I have been using a friends "master chrony" beta model, its very finicky about distance depending on speed.

I have been debating on buying one but like you suggest it would be nice if one would import to a spreadsheet at the least, an app would be great.

fx77
04-18-2014, 14:55
Closest simplest Chrono now is the Magnetospeed V3
Really at this time the only one U want...

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

Boxerglocker
04-18-2014, 15:10

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/628006/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph-premium-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Caldwell Premium Ballistic Chronograph - YouTube

dakrat
04-19-2014, 10:01
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/628006/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph-premium-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Caldwell Premium Ballistic Chronograph - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B11tY29C7F8)

That appears to be a awesome package deal.

I had a POS Shooting Chrony. I am currently using a Pro Chrono from CE. Cant get it to not read. If the Caldwell works as good as the CE, it is a great deal

WeeWilly
04-19-2014, 10:15
That appears to be a awesome package deal.

I had a POS Shooting Chrony. I am currently using a Pro Chrono from CE. Cant get it to not read. If the Caldwell works as good as the CE, it is a great deal

I was thinking the same thing, deal of the century.

I also use a ProChrono Digital and it works flawlessly.

Frankly looking at the Caldwell unit, I would put money on it being made my the CE ProChorno people. If so, it will likely be a really reliable unit.

I am wondering if I use an audio cable and download the Caldwell App, maybe I can use my iPhone with my current Prochrono Digital. If it is an OEM deal, I would be surprised if they wrote special code just for the Caldwell unit. hmmm, where is that soldering iron...

F106 Fan
04-19-2014, 11:23

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

For rifle...

I have the Magnetospeed chrono plus a CED M2 which connects to a PC via USB and imports to a spreadsheet. Pretty nice chrono for both pistol and rifle.

So, why buy the Magnetospeed? It is easier to set up. Any time you have to deal with sky screens, setup is a hassle. You have to place the unit down range, far enough away that muzzle blast isn't a factor. It is better if it is aligned perfectly with a target for aiming. Doing all of this on a public and busy range is just a PITA.

My interest, at the moment, is rifle so the Magnetospeed overcomes all of the setup issues. The Magnetospeed produces a CSV file on a microSD which can be imported to a spreadsheet. I haven't tried it.

The Caldwell setup may be the way to go for iPhones.

Richard

Boxerglocker
04-19-2014, 11:27
I was thinking the same thing, deal of the century.

I also use a ProChrono Digital and it works flawlessly.

Frankly looking at the Caldwell unit, I would put money on it being made my the CE ProChorno people. If so, it will likely be a really reliable unit.

I am wondering if I use an audio cable and download the Caldwell App, maybe I can use my iPhone with my current Prochrono Digital. If it is an OEM deal, I would be surprised if they wrote special code just for the Caldwell unit. hmmm, where is that soldering iron...

Doesn't work, already inquired with CE about it. They are coming out with their own software this year. In the meantime I downloaded their software for FREE and built my own patch cable for about $12-15. Works flawlessly and though a smaller iPhone or iPad would be more transportable have a laptop right there makes it easier to just import the data directly to Excel.
http://youtu.be/XtzZKBB-WWA

WeeWilly
04-19-2014, 11:30
Doesn't work, already inquired with CE about it. They are coming out with their own software this year..

Too good to be true.. just my luck.

I don't even own a laptop anymore. When my last Dell bit the dust, it was over and out for me and laptops.

Boxerglocker
04-19-2014, 11:40
Too good to be true.. just my luck.

I don't even own a laptop anymore. When my last Dell but the dust, it was over and out for me and laptops.

I have had that Windows 7 laptop for 5 years. All I use it for is my shooting and reloading stuff. Sits on the bench, while reloading streaming music, watching youtube. I have a Surface pad that the prochrono software should work with but would have to make a different cable compatible with the W8 USB interface. I'll get to it eventually.

Only useful for rifle and wheelguns, useless with a semi-auto which over half my firearms are.

Great units, I have access to one and used it a few times. Another issue is the weight on the barrel will change your point of impact.

F106 Fan
04-19-2014, 11:46
re: Magnetospeed

Great units, I have access to one and used it a few times. Another issue is the weight on the barrel will change your point of impact.

I kind of gave up shooting for groups while using the Magnetospeed. So, I shoot a few rounds to get the numbers and then shoot a few more for grouping and zero.

I shouldn't put all the grouping blame on the chrono however. There is still the matter of my shooting...

Richard

WeeWilly
04-19-2014, 11:50
On the Magnetospeed...

Only useful for rifle and wheelguns, useless with a semi-auto which over half my firearms are.

Oops, I was typing as Richard was posting... what he said.

I have a Magnetospeed unit as well. I bought the earlier one than Richard has, I think the newer ones are better for anyone thinking of buying a used one.

I would take the changing the POI statement one step further. It will change the POI (depending on the barrel contour, it can be significant), but it also acts as a form of "tuner" such that I think it can lead you astray a little when using it to find an optimal charge for the barrel and bullet.

I still use mine at public ranges for the reasons Richard outlined, but using it is a two step process. First use the Magnetospeed to determine the velocities, then take it off and rerun the ladders for groups. Then you put the two together to get you final optimal velocity.

When I can use the optical setup (Prochrono), this is done in one ladder.

YMMV and will be driven by your goals and expectations.

PS - I really like using my Magnetospeed when developing my shotgun loads. No nervous shooting through the uprights...

Boxerglocker
04-19-2014, 12:08
re: Magnetospeed

I kind of gave up shooting for groups while using the Magnetospeed. So, I shoot a few rounds to get the numbers and then shoot a few more for grouping and zero.

I shouldn't put all the grouping blame on the chrono however. There is still the matter of my shooting...

Richard

Don't get me wrong for the shooter that doesn't have unrestricted access to a range bay they are awesome. My rifle development normally consists of doing 5-10 loads at varying weights through the load range, followed by a ladder or group shooting session. Once I get the best group I start playing with OAL a little to fine tune. After then and only then do I actually chrono so by then the lad is pretty much settled on. At that time yeah it would be supper convenient to just sit on a public bench line and hook up the Magneto speed and go at it for 10 shots.

dave333
04-24-2014, 18:54
I just got a caldwell chrono a couple weeks ago, it works great. The app lets you make notes about load data, shoot your strings over it and it does all your math for you. Store your data within the app or email it to yourself or a friend. I shot in direct sun, full and partial shade and it didn't miss a single shot. Heck, it didn't even run the phone battery down. I'm completely satisfied.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)