Multiple reloading presses? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple reloading presses?

CDR_Glock
04-18-2014, 06:56
In the interest of time, I am opting for two reloading presses. One for large pistol primer and one for a small pistol primer (i.e. Dillon 550B for a 357 and a 45 ACP, separately).

If I ever get into reloading for rifles, I plan to get another press to do 308.

Is this a common practice to do this? Just wondering.

JBnTX
04-18-2014, 07:22
If you can afford it and have the space, it's a good idea.

I reload 6 pistol calibers on one Dillon 550b. It takes less than 5 minutes to switch calibers, with the longest time being spent changing from large to small primers.

I just couldn't justify the expense versus less than 5 minutes to switch calibers.

I do have 3 different powder measures though, so I can leave two of them set for loads that I shoot the most of, like 45 ACP and 9mm.

2@low8
04-18-2014, 07:28
I currently have 10 individual presses mounted on my reloading benches. I custom built the space to handle them all.

5 Mec reloaders (12,20,28, 410 and another 28 ga), a Lee cast single stage, and RCBS single stage and three Lee 1000's (45, 38 and 9mm).

tom mac
04-18-2014, 07:34
snip...... One for large pistol primer and one for a small pistol primer.......snip

Yes...if you load alot... allows you to set up a specific press for cal/load and leave it alone.

No swapping parts, and having to reset anything...

If it an't broke, don't fix it rule! :)

PCJim
04-18-2014, 08:35
Having two 550b's on the bench, one LP and the other SP, is an ideal setup but a bit overkill. Using quick change tool heads, you can convert from any caliber to another in less than 3-4 minutes, including a shellplate change if required, without touching the priming system.

Still, only having one 550b and using the saved funds for QC toolheads may make more sense. It takes well less than 10 minutes to change over the priming system - release the spring, remove two screws, lift the unit and remove and replace the primer bar, tighten two screws and attach the spring, change the primer magazine tube and you're done. Maybe 5 minutes after you've done it a few times.

The real time savings is with the QC toolheads. That is where you want to invest the funds.

usnret
04-18-2014, 09:16
I buy multiple powder bars (Dillon 550B) and leave them set to the powder charge. I just have to change them out, instead of having to set up everytime I change calibers. Plus powder bars cost less than the whole powder measure system.

norton
04-18-2014, 09:52
Right now I have a Lee Loadmaster set up to load 9mm,and that's all it loads. I load .45 acp, .45 Colt, .38sp/.357 mag on my Dillon 550. Takes me a little longer to change over on the Dillon due to the case feeder, but no big whoop. Changing primer slides is really pretty easy. You of course can be extra tool heads, and just leave your dies and powder measures set up for whatever calibers you reload. A quick change over, then replacing the primer slide, which by then probably needs cleaning anyway is pretty easy and fast. Of course this requires an extra investment in equipment.

Boxerglocker
04-18-2014, 10:00
Get a XL650 for your highest yield caliber and a 550 for everything else including .308
I prep my .308 cases Size/Trim on my 650, remove crimps with a Super swage 600 and either single stage load trickling primer on a single stage or load up with ball powder back on the 650.

fredj338
04-18-2014, 10:52
I wouldn't say common, but many of us have more than one press. I really don't see the point, even though I had two 550B at one time. It is convenient, but unless you are the type that reloads 500rds & then switches over, multiple calibers, just swap the press over. The 550B takes about 5min without the extra powder measure, to go from sp to lp, just not a big time issue IMO. I only have two measures, one for pistol, one for rifle.
I currently run a 550B for about 12 calibers, a 650 for 2 & a ss press for about 10-12 more calibers I don't shoot enough to bother getting conversions for or don't fit the 550 press. Many Lee users will buy multiple Lee progressives & leave them setup for each caliber, helps keep them running & they are cheap enough to do that.

unclebob
04-18-2014, 11:27
For me I would get one 650 with case feeder, two extra tool heads and powder measures. Another complete primer assembly. The 45 and 308 use the same shell plate and buttons. A few other parts that that you would need to buy would be like the powder funnel and a few other parts. You would have a lot better priming system. Caliber conversions would take about 10 minutes. What I have been told the new primer punch is made where you can use a socket on it now instead of a wrench or a wrench if you like. Or you can do like I do and just use the small primer punch for both small and large primers. The time it would take to do a conversion would more than make up for the difference in speed in loading. You would also have a more versatile, faster and safer press in the 650. And you spent a lot less money on presses.

kostnerave
04-18-2014, 11:35
Have been running multi presses for years. Have two SDB"s for 45 & 9mm and a Lee Classic that handles all my rifles reloading and seldom reloaded 380, 357's. Have a Mec Jr. that does a good job on all my shotgun reloading. If you enjoy reloading its a nice way to spend an hour every evening.

Taterhead
04-18-2014, 11:55
I have 2 presses. I load 223 and pistol cartridges on an RCBS Pro 2000. Bolt gun loading and odd jobs are done on a Rock Chucker single stage. The Pro 2000 changeovers are incredibly fast. I can switch from small primer 223 to large primer pistol in 3.5 minutes. Add 30 seconds if starting with a hopper full of powder. I use the same powder throw so the 3.5 minutes includes configuring the powder throw, changing die plates and shell plates, and switching priming size. Pretty nifty press if you don't need a case feeder. I wouldn't want to live without the Rock Chucker though.

At some point I will add a Super 1050 for 223 when volume justifies it.

Bren
04-18-2014, 12:03
In the interest of time, I am opting for two reloading presses. One for large pistol primer and one for a small pistol primer (i.e. Dillon 550B for a 357 and a 45 ACP, separately).

If I ever get into reloading for rifles, I plan to get another press to do 308.

I barely reload and I have 3 presses. A Lee single-stage for small batches and precision rifle ammo, a Lee turret press that I use for medium batches and rifle ammo and Dillon RL550B that I use for bigger batches, like running off a few thousand 9mm or .40.

F106 Fan
04-18-2014, 13:29
Many years back, I was loading a lot of .45 ACP and .38 wadcutter. So, yes, I bought two 550Bs. They are mounted to my bench but see little use. I also have a 650, 1050 and Redding T7 on my bench. Way too many presses... The others are in storage.

For the cost of two 550s, as convenient as that may be, I would rather use the money to buy a 650. If you buy the complete primer mechanism, it takes just two bolts to completely replace the primer setup. Some people leave the small seater plug in place, using it to seat both primer sizes, but even if you change from one to the other, it is just a minor issue.

But yes, there are people who have a pair of 550s with different primer setups. Were I rich, I would have a pair of 1050s for the same reason. Alas, no such luck...

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
04-18-2014, 14:31
For me I would get one 650 with case feeder, two extra tool heads and powder measures. Another complete primer assembly. The 45 and 308 use the same shell plate and buttons. A few other parts that that you would need to buy would be like the powder funnel and a few other parts. You would have a lot better priming system. Caliber conversions would take about 10 minutes. What I have been told the new primer punch is made where you can use a socket on it now instead of a wrench or a wrench if you like. Or you can do like I do and just use the small primer punch for both small and large primers. The time it would take to do a conversion would more than make up for the difference in speed in loading. You would also have a more versatile, faster and safer press in the 650. And you spent a lot less money on presses.

That is what I would do.

jmorris
04-18-2014, 14:43
Don't know if it's a good idea but I have a bunch here. Always have every spare part available too.

The only thing better than having one of everything is having two or more.

WeeWilly
04-18-2014, 14:54
Don't know if it's a good idea but I have a bunch here. Always have every spare part available too.

The only thing better than having one of everything is having two or more.

Words to live by.

unclebob
04-18-2014, 16:17
Just an unproven theory that I have. I think that people that have more than one press that are different than one another are more prone to having squibs or double charge. Even when I had the LCT, I caught myself screwing up because Iím so use of the Dillon 650 doing a lot of steps automatically for me. Also people that load setting I think are more prone of having squibs or double charges. Yes I know there are people that have done both millions of years with no problems.

Colorado4Wheel
04-18-2014, 16:26
Likes the man who shoots one gun all the time. He probably knows how to use it.

njl
04-18-2014, 16:31
I wouldn't say common, but many of us have more than one press. I really don't see the point, even though I had two 550B at one time. It is convenient, but unless you are the type that reloads 500rds & then switches over, multiple calibers, just swap the press over.

Agreed. Once you figure out the tricks to getting the primer slide installed properly, swapping from large to small primer slides and magazines doesn't make the conversion process take much longer than swapping out the powder funnel, shell plate, and buttons.

If you've got $ and space to burn, it would certainly be convenient to have a press dedicated to each caliber, but I don't see that in my future.

Besides, with the 550, you really need to take apart the priming system every so often anyway to clean all the decapping crud off it unless you have yet another press dedicated to decapping.

For my 550, I do have a tool head per caliber, so I don't have to adjust all the dies every time I change calibers.

Three-Five-Seven
04-18-2014, 16:43
It is the absolute truth that I don't know any shooters who have only one press.

fredj338
04-18-2014, 17:24

If you've got $ and space to burn, it would certainly be convenient to have a press dedicated to each caliber, but I don't see that in my future.
For my 550, I do have a tool head per caliber, so I don't have to adjust all the dies every time I change calibers.
If I did that, just for my common calibers I would need at least 10 presses!:wow:
9mm
357sig
357mag
10mm
44mag
45acp
45colt

unclebob
04-18-2014, 17:35
It is the absolute truth that I don't know any shooters who have only one press.

I believe because most reloaders thank they need to start out with a SS and then in short order figure out that a SS is why to slow. I have a 650, LM and a Rock Chucker that is under the bench. I would be very happy with just the 650. I have the LM because I wanted something to play with. Change and modify. Just something I like to do. I have changed or modified every press I have owned. Other than my first press a Mec 300.

norton
04-18-2014, 18:20
I forgot to mention I also have a s/s, a rock chucker. Its very useful for running my cast bullets through sizing dies. I also use it for my low volume reloading, like .44 mag, .44 special, .223 and .17 Remington. I like the idea I can start reloading for a new caliber with just dies. I have a Lyman 1200 powder measure.

I also deprime and resize on the s/s before running the cases in my Dillon and Load master. Its just the way I prefer to do it.

jmorris
04-18-2014, 20:35
If I did that, just for my common calibers I would need at least 10 presses!

Well at least now you have a goal.

colin1230
04-19-2014, 03:50
I forgot to mention I also have a s/s, a rock chucker. Its very useful for running my cast bullets through sizing dies. I also use it for my low volume reloading, like .44 mag, .44 special, .223 and .17 Remington. I like the idea I can start reloading for a new caliber with just dies. I have a Lyman 1200 powder measure.

I also deprime and resize on the s/s before running the cases in my Dillon and Load master. Its just the way I prefer to do it.

Sounds like a pretty good setup and routine you have going now. I also have a 550b and a rock chunked and use them both as you do. Five handgun and three rifle calibers, they serve my needs well and don't take up a lot of space. I enjoy the reloading time just as much as the shooting.

shotgunred
04-26-2014, 18:17
I have four or five presses. I use two. I keep 1 set up for 223 all the time and I use the other for all my pistols. The second press isn't necessary but I got it cheap.

GWG19
04-27-2014, 07:17
I have two 650's. One for small primers and one for large. I also have a single stage and MEC 9000.

jmorris
04-27-2014, 09:17
A friend sent me this photo the other day.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20140424_192918_zps1e5b242b.jpg

fredj338
04-27-2014, 09:47
Well at least now you have a goal.

Lol, even if I had the space & money, I doubt I would have much more than what I do now. Maybe a 1050 just for 223, maybe. I would rather get a magma or ballisticast casting machine & hydr sizing setup!:supergrin:

Steel Head
04-27-2014, 10:32
A friend sent me this photo the other day.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20140424_192918_zps1e5b242b.jpg

WOW!
Just WOW:wow:
Makes me feel like a caveman with my LHP and LCT.
Both switch between large and small easily.

njl
04-27-2014, 14:23
That looks like 11 Super 1050s. Must be some commercial reloader's setup.

M24C
04-27-2014, 18:08
Me I just reload 3 calibers at this time one press. Just change over, 40, 9mm and 45 acp. on a 550b.

OrangePwr9
05-04-2014, 14:52
The OP sounds like he's new to reloading.

If that's the case, there's a question that must be asked: Will you be an experimenter or a high-volume shooter?

The experimenter seldom makes big runs of a single load as he's looking for the 'ultimate' (or at least optimum) load. A hundred or so rounds and something is going to get changed to see if there will be any improvement. Then there needs to be a trip to the range to see what the results are.

An experimenter is best suited to a turret press, with the Lee Classic Turret being the most bang for the buck currently. Changeovers are easy, taking less than a minute once you have your turrets set up. Modifications to seating depth, powder charge, or primer type are also easy to make. Nor will you be tempted to crank out 1000 rounds of a load you're not yet sure of just because the process seems to be going well.

The progressives make sense for the high-volume shooter. But with shortages of powder & components these days, that path has many obstacles. Buying components to keep one progressive busy will be expensive; but two.....? Better to use the money to build a cache of components.

Multiple presses? Yes...maybe a LCT and a good single stage until you know where you stand and where the supply chain stands. If things loosen up, then get your progressives. The turret and the single-stage will still be
useful for small runs.

Jimmy10mm
05-04-2014, 16:08
Just an unproven theory that I have. I think that people that have more than one press that are different than one another are more prone to having squibs or double charge.
Years ago I had a few Star progressives and a rock chucker. Sold all but the rock chucker when local ranges wouldn't allow reloads for about 10 years. They've since started allowing them again, with the bad economy they had to drum up business I guess.

I had one occasion where I fouled up and whether it was a double or what I over loaded a 45 long colt in a new frontier single action. Just one and I got away without damage but the recoil on that one cartridge made me know I had a lapse of concentration.

Nowadays I just load one at a time and weigh every charge. Using old B&M measures with the tubes and an Ohaus double beam. Still have to keep my mind on my work when I'm weighing loads and charging the cases. Whether it is a progressive press or a single stage it ain't hard to make a mistake.

bdhawk
05-04-2014, 17:55
I run four presses. two 550b's, one for large and one for small primers, a SQDb [mostly for 40 S&W and others that are seldom reloaded], and a single stage.

I reload....
.380 acp
.38 spl
9 mm
.40 S&W
.45 acp
.357 mag
5.56 nato
.44 mag
10 mm
.44 spl
.357 sig

here is a pic, the single stage is covered up on the bench, down close to the lead furnace and lubersizer.