Pro auto Disk problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pro auto Disk problem

tcoz
04-19-2014, 19:40
This one really has me stumped. I've been loading 4.2gr of Bullseye in my 9mm rounds using a Lee Classic Turret press and the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. The .49 disk consistently drops 4.2gr, once in a while dropping 4.3gr, but not often. So far I've probably loaded 1200 rounds without a problem. All of a sudden tonight in the middle of a reloading session, it started dropping 3.9-4.0gr and then after about fifteen of those, it started dropping 3.6gr consistently, not 3.7 or 3.8, but 3.6 every single time. I took everything apart and cleaned it, then tried the .53 disk. It was also consistently dropping loads about 1.3gr lighter than usual. Everything appears to line up correctly so right now, I'm at a standstill. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

WeeWilly
04-19-2014, 20:22
Things that come to mind (now in order of likelihood, at least to my mind):

Scale, verify with check weights.

Check to make sure the hopper is all the way open. The pro model turns to close, it can turn during the operation of the turret, slowly closing.

Stroke, make sure the disk is sliding all the way forward and back.

Something in the hopper (spent primer, bullet, case) I have heard each of those.

Clean the drop tube portion (all the metal parts that powder runs through) with something like alcohol or acetone, don't let the more volatile solvents touch any of the plastic.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

BTW, on my load records, .49 cavity dropped 4.5gr of Bullseye, but it has been a long time since I used one.

Good luck.

WiskyT
04-20-2014, 07:55
Things that come to mind (now in order of likelihood, at least to my mind):

Scale, verify with check weights.

Check to make sure the hopper is all the way open. The pro model turns to close, it can turn during the operation of the turret, slowly closing.

Stroke, make sure the disk is sliding all the way forward and back.

Something in the hopper (spent primer, bullet, case) I have heard each of those.

Clean the drop tube portion (all the metal parts that powder runs through) with something like alcohol or acetone, don't let the more volatile solvents touch any of the plastic.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

BTW, on my load records, .49 cavity dropped 4.5gr of Bullseye, but it has been a long time since I used one.

Good luck.

All of that and especially the giant red part.

Something aint right.

Colorado4Wheel
04-20-2014, 09:37
Check the tube, , make sure it's not partway closed (in the off postion) check and be sure the die is down far enough to fully activate the disc. All this has been said but it's something in that area.

Aquagear
04-20-2014, 10:48
Check the tube, , make sure it's not partway closed (in the off postion) check and be sure the die is down far enough to fully activate the disc. All this has been said but it's something in that area.

What he said:

I have been using the Lee disk measures for over 15 years without a hitch. The only time I have had any problem was something interfering with the linkage, which did not allow it to make a full cycle. They are fairly fool proof, you must have missed something.

G-34
04-20-2014, 11:37
same problem here!! i have found that bullseye powder likes to stick to itself and not really fall freely sometimes unless there is enough weight of powder in the container to make it fall....

i dont know how to explain it any other way, i just make sure its topped off and problem goes away until it gets low again and i see it starts dropping light charges and fill it up and so forth:wavey:

WiskyT
04-20-2014, 11:44
I've been running Bullseye through my autodisc since 1985 and never had the OP's problem. I often run the hopper down until it's almost empty and never had the OP's problem.

Bullseye meters beautifully in most measures including the autodisc. With the OP's problem, and anyone else having the same or similar issue, there is some type of mechanical problem at hand. Failure to trace out the mechanical problem and write it off as "normal" can lead to a hazardous condition. The OP's use of the 0.49cc cavity at some point WILL throw 4.5 grains. When it does, that 12.5% increase could cause a case blow-out or worse.

FiremanMike
04-20-2014, 14:30
My powder drops never matched their supposed correlating cavity.

Aquagear
04-20-2014, 14:44
Mine have all thrown slightly under by a tenth or so. I think Lee dose that purposely for safety reasons. Better a hare under than over, No matter how unsafe it is someone out there will try to use the measure without scale checking it.

WiskyT
04-20-2014, 14:50
My powder drops never matched their supposed correlating cavity.

True, and 0.49 is listed at 4.6 while 4.5 is what I get, it is always consistent. The OP is getting much less than that and it's inconsistent.

tcoz
04-21-2014, 11:24
The OP's use of the 0.49cc cavity at some point WILL throw 4.5 grains. When it does, that 12.5% increase could cause a case blow-out or worse.

I've been getting 4.2gr consistently through about 2000 rounds and the inconsistent light drops just started. I always weigh every fifth charge, but right now I'm weighing EVERY charge.

F106 Fan
04-21-2014, 12:00
I've been getting 4.2gr consistently through about 2000 rounds and the inconsistent light drops just started. I always weigh every fifth charge, but right now I'm weighing EVERY charge.

As mentioned above: What kind of scale? Are you verifying the scale with check weights?

Richard

tcoz
04-21-2014, 12:33
As mentioned above: What kind of scale? Are you verifying the scale with check weights?

Digital scale with new batteries and verified with check weights and beam scale. 3.6-3.8gr drops were visually lighter than 4.2gr so it isn't a scale problem.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2014, 12:48
So did you double check everything as we advised?

tcoz
04-21-2014, 14:18
So did you double check everything as we advised?

I did. I also took the powder system and powder through die completely apart, cleaned everything and reassembled. Now it's back to dropping 4.2gr nine out of ten and 4.3gr the other time. Don't know what it was, but it seems to be back on track. I'll continue to weigh each charge for a bit just to be sure. I want to thank everybody for your help.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2014, 16:58
4.2 to 4.3 is normal for a powder to vary just a little.

WiskyT
04-21-2014, 20:07
4.2 to 4.3 is normal for a powder to vary just a little.

It's still too light for that cavity. Maybe Lee has made the cavities smaller? IDK, but I do know that I have been buying and using Bullseye in my Lee autodisc for 30 years and it always throws 4.5 with the 4.9cc cavity which has been verified on two different beam scales.

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2014, 23:45
That is interesting. If your is he none pro maybe there is a difference. I don't know why. I should try some Unique in mine and see what it throws.

WiskyT
04-22-2014, 03:11
That is interesting. If your is he none pro maybe there is a difference. I don't know why. I should try some Unique in mine and see what it throws.

I have two. One is a pro and the other is not. They both throw the same.

unclebob
04-22-2014, 09:20
They both should throw the same. They both use the same disk. And that is what determines how much it throws. Sense it is a fixed disk and unless you do something different from throw to throw they should be the same. Of course you will have a very slight variation from time to time.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2014, 11:03
So is it reasonable to say all discs should/would throw the same? It's possible they are not exactly the same. That seems unlikely as they are plastic and not machined. Also, the turret does move and the way you operate the press does slightly effect the throw. .3 grs is not a lot but it's also more then I would expect.

WeeWilly
04-22-2014, 19:05
As I posted above, with Bullseye and the .49 cavity, I always got 4.5gr and it was pretty consistent, with either the original square hopper or the AD Pro round hopper.

My money is on the pro hopper getting partially closed during operation of the turret, probably got opened back to full on without even knowing when everything was taken down and reassembled.

The funny thing was I had the exact same thing happen with the AD Pro and Bullseye (loading 200gr LSWC for 45 Auto). I always checked the first charge weight and the last charge weigh of a batch. The first one was 4.5, the last one like 2.0grs., it took a little head scratching to find the hopper almost all the way closed. Had to pull 98 rounds as I didn't know when the hopper got bumped and closed down. I always screwed down that screw that controls how easy it is to turn the hopper off, so it was tougher to close.

Live and learn.

PS - of course, that doesn't solve the missing .3gr mystery.. ;)

tcoz
04-22-2014, 19:29
My money is on the pro hopper getting partially closed during operation of the turret, probably got opened back to full on without even knowing when everything was taken down and reassembled.

Actually, that was one of the first things I checked. What I was finally able to determine was that the disk cavity wasn't moving completely over the hole in the base. Taking everything apart and reassembling it somehow fixed the problem. The disk cavity now centers over the hole and powder drops are back to a consistent 4.2gr.

WeeWilly
04-22-2014, 19:47
Actually, that was one of the first things I checked. What I was finally able to determine was that the disk cavity wasn't moving completely over the hole in the base. Taking everything apart and reassembling it somehow fixed the problem. The disk cavity now centers over the hole and powder drops are back to a consistent 4.2gr.

Oh I see, I didn't see your post that you had determined that the disk wasn't getting to full stroke. I only saw that you had it running but didn't know why it was working.

It is unfortunate you don't know what fixed it, makes having confidence that it won't happen again tough. Also, it is still puzzling you are only getting 4.2gr. That's almost 7% different from what I was getting in my .49 cavity.

unclebob
04-22-2014, 19:57
You have to make sure that the actuator arm is in the small slot in the disk that is appropriate for the cavity you want to use. A good way to check is to after putting the hopper on, is to try and move the disk by hand. If it moves a lot you are not in the right slot.

tcoz
04-22-2014, 19:57
Oh It is unfortunate you don't know what fixed it, makes having confidence that it won't happen again tough. Also, it is still puzzling you are only getting 4.2gr. That's almost 7% different from what I was getting in my .49 cavity.

I've used the disk system for AA#5, HP-38 and now Bullseye, probably 5k to 10k rounds total and the powder drops have always been quite a bit lighter than what I would expect based on the approximate volume of the cavity, but they've always been very consistent. I've always verified them with a beam scale as well. I think my PAD is a mutant. At some point in time, I plan on getting a Chargemaster 1500 though. I've never been a huge fan if the volumetric method of measuring charges.

tcoz
04-22-2014, 20:04
You have to make sure that the actuator arm is in the small slot in the disk that is appropriate for the cavity you want to use. A good way to check is to after putting the hopper on, is to try and move the disk by hand. If it moves a lot you are not in the right slot.

Also, one of the first things I checked.