Hard Cast Bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cast Bullets

BCGUNCOLL
04-22-2014, 10:47
What are the hardest cast bullets that are readily available and safe to shoot through a lone wolf after market barrel?

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2014, 11:00
You don't need them to be "Hardest". They just need to be sized properly. Unless you have something really really unique planed.

fredj338
04-22-2014, 11:49
Probably the Laser Cast, very hard bullet. I agree with C4W, bullet hardness rarely comes into play at handgun vel/pressures, rifles yes, handguns not so much.

ken grant
04-22-2014, 13:17
A bullet that is too hard can lead as much or even more than a soft one.

Fit and pressure range matters much more.

JBnTX
04-22-2014, 14:33
What are the hardest cast bullets that are readily available and safe to shoot through a lone wolf after market barrel?

As others have said, the bullet to bore fit and velocity are more important than hardness.

I shoot Missouri Bullet Company bullets. They list the BHN number so you can load them properly.

Read this: http://www.missouribullet.com/technical.php

SJ 40
04-22-2014, 14:54

Fit and pressure range matters much more.And if not sized correctly to the bore will end up tinning ones bore,that is a general PITA to clean out.

Most commercial hard case bullets tend to run 16-18 BHN.

Monotype is the hardest alloy at 26-28 BHN and will shatter if it hits any thing of any resistance,not ideal.

Hardness of Lead Alloys

http://www.pnjresources.com/Hardness%20of%20Lead%20Alloys.htm

SJ 40

Booker
04-22-2014, 14:56
What caliber are you loading for? I used fairly soft bullets for the Cowboy 45LC and fairly hard bullets for the 500 S&W Magnum!

Kentguy
04-22-2014, 22:00
BCGUNCOLL,

I use Lead bullets from the Missouri Bullet co. as well. Lots of good info on that site about hardness and bullet make-up that will help you get a handle on the subject of bullet hardness.

But as for general handgun shooting... C4W and Fred hit the nail on the head.

dbarry
04-23-2014, 17:50

Fit and pressure range matters much more.

Yup. I've heard and experienced the same. Good advice.