Powder Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Powder Question

Schrag4
04-22-2014, 19:29
So I have a 1lb container of AA#5 and an 8lb jug as well. The 1lb container is getting close to empty and I haven't opened the 8lb jug yet. I'm thinking that it might be best to transfer some powder from the larger jug to the smaller container every 1000 rounds or so in an effort to open the larger jug as infrequently as possible.

So the question is really 2 parts:

1. Is that a horrible idea? I'm thinking the downside is that there may be slight differences in the powder from one lot to the next and it might not be a good idea for the powders to mix, even though they're both AA#5.

2. Would it be beneficial at all? Can having the big jug open a bunch of times (albeit for extremely short periods of time) and dumping the unused powder back in over and over cause it to not last as long as if I only opened it to refill the 1lb container? Of course there's the obvious benefit of a 1lb container being easier to work with than a large and heavier jug, but I'm more worried about the life of the powder than anything.

My reloading bench is in my cool, dry basement so I'm thinking it might not make much of a difference. Thoughts?

Schrag4
04-22-2014, 19:31
I want to also make clear that I would never put powder in a container that is not marked for that powder. For instance, I would never put AA#5 powder in an old empty AA#2 jug, or even in some container that was originally used for something other than powder.

unclebob
04-22-2014, 19:51
What I do is when the 1 lbs. container gets low. I open the larger container of powder and make sure it meters out the same. If it is I then poor the small amount into the larger container and shake it around. I then fill the 1lbs. container from the large jug. It just makes it a lot easier to work with.

fredj338
04-22-2014, 19:55
In my decades now of reloading, I have rarely seen a lot to lot change in powder that was dangerous to use my exist data with. Now granted, I do rarely push the top end anymore, when I do, I back off & work back to max, but that is jmo. So I keep 1# containers around to refill from my 8# jugs. The 1# are just easier to handle aroun the bench. You shoud be fine doing this as well.

Kentguy
04-22-2014, 20:00
Schrag4,

I have taken powder from a 4lb container and put it into an empty 1lb container (in my case they were Hodgdon Universal), in order to make working easier.

I have never mixed powder and generally don't think it is a very good idea to do so. Will the world come to an end? No, but as a matter of safety and my own self imposed rules i just don't mix powder as you have stated.

Good luck and be safe out there

Three-Five-Seven
04-22-2014, 20:12
Yup. That's how I do it too. The big container is too unwieldy when loading the hopper.

fredj338
04-22-2014, 20:25
Schrag4,

I have taken powder from a 4lb container and put it into an empty 1lb container (in my case they were Hodgdon Universal), in order to make working easier.

I have never mixed powder and generally don't think it is a very good idea to do so. Will the world come to an end? No, but as a matter of safety and my own self imposed rules i just don't mix powder as you have stated.

Good luck and be safe out there
Note; we are NOT talking about mixing diff powders, should never be done. Mixing small amounts of say Unique, with a new jug of Unique is NOT going to have any affect on your data. Again, if you are using max data, then it's always prudent to drop 5% & work it back up. That is true whether changing primers or cases when at the top end.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2014, 20:31
Solo 1000 has a pretty wide spread from lot to lot. I don't mix them because I just want to chrono the new lot and see if I need more or less. I do mix that last little bit and use it for practice ammo. I won't matter.

WeeWilly
04-22-2014, 20:41
I always transfer from a big jug to a smaller (usually 1lb) bottle. When I have poured the last bit from the small bottle into the hopper and still need more, I then transfer from the large jug to the smaller bottle. I also keep the jugs in an air conditioned dry room, the 1lb'ers are in a cupboard above the loading bench in my garage.

I have never worried about mixing powders from bottles of the same label, regardless of lot.

marvin
04-22-2014, 21:36
a while back i got a good deal on 3 1 lb bottles of accurate 2230, i had an 8 lb bottle of 2230 that was more than half empty i dumped all of them together and shuck it all up so that i only had one container to keep.

unclebob
04-22-2014, 21:48
I have only one time had a lot of powder that was different from a another lot of the same kind and it was VV. Not much maybe .2 or .3 difference.

Kentguy
04-22-2014, 21:52
Fred "we are NOT talking about mixing diff powders, should never be done..."

Sorry Fred, perhaps I did not make myself very clear. I agree different powders should NEVER be mixed. What I was referring to was mixing one batch of powder with the same powder from a different batch.

As I stated before I agree that you very well may end up with the same numbers and no terrible after effects. I just don't do that myself - just my choice.

Taterhead
04-22-2014, 23:19
Accurate powder have switched manufacturers in recent years. The stuff made in USA is totally different than the stuff made in Belgium a few years ago. It doesnt event look the same. Those I would not mix. Otherwise a small amount of the same tyoe of powder well mixed into a larger container isn't going to hurt anything.

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2014, 07:36
Accurate powder have switched manufacturers in recent years. The stuff made in USA is totally different than the stuff made in Belgium a few years ago. It doesnt event look the same.

Are #7 etc still tiny little balls that meter like water?

PCJim
04-23-2014, 08:18
Horrible idea?, no. Beneficial, yes as its easier to work with the smaller containers.

I also don't worry with differing lot numbers. Actually, I don't believe I've even checked lot numbers on powder in the last 5-6 years.

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2014, 08:42
I would just be sure that the container is marked ONLY with the type of powder that is in it. It would be scary to put Bullseye in a Longshot container and make that mistake because you didn't notice the Grease Pencil mark on the container and loaded up the Bullseye as if it was Longshot.

Taterhead
04-23-2014, 08:55
Are #7 etc still tiny little balls that meter like water?

The Belgian stuff was super tiny spheres. The USA made powder still meters as well but it is more irregulalry shaped. A mix of tiny spheres and flattened spheres. Different color. Darker and shinier.

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2014, 08:58
Wow, Those tiny spheres were one of my favorite things about AA powders. Thanks for the info.

Taterhead
04-23-2014, 10:56
Wow, Those tiny spheres were one of my favorite things about AA powders. Thanks for the info.

Thankfully the metering superiority hasn't changed at all.

Taterhead
04-23-2014, 11:08
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522910

This thread shows photos of A9 before and after. A9 and A7 Belgian and American lots were/are the same shape and size. A5 is American made too and it is the same shape as A9/7. Scroll down to the Shadow's post number 8.

Schrag4
04-23-2014, 17:54
If I'm reading their markings correctly, the 1lb and 8lb containers were both produced last year, one in May and the other in September. If they switched manufacturers several years ago then these are very likely from the same plant.

It sounds like I shouldn't fret too much. This is for light-to-medium-powered blasting ammo, not for extreme precision or for high-powered loads. Thanks for the responses.

mboylan
04-23-2014, 19:37
Solo 1000 has a pretty wide spread from lot to lot. I don't mix them because I just want to chrono the new lot and see if I need more or less. I do mix that last little bit and use it for practice ammo. I won't matter.

Yeah. Solo 1000 is one of those powders where you are on your own. You are on your own for Alliant E3 too. However, there is much less variation lot to lot than with Solo.

unclebob
04-23-2014, 20:21
Yeah. Solo 1000 is one of those powders where you are on your own. You are on your own for Alliant E3 too. However, there is much less variation lot to lot than with Solo.

That is why you should when using new lot # is to check the weight of what your measure is throwing. When I was talking about mixing powder of the same make type it is only maybe enough to fill a 30-06 case that is mixed in with 4 or 8 lbs. of the same type powder. Or I would have already checked to make sure it weights and measures out the same as the powder being used. Then when it gets low in the powder measure I will add the powder on top.

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2014, 10:29

Solo Does have a lot of published data if you know where to find it. But essentially, you can safely work it up to 130PF in 9mm with bullets 124gr and above and be safe using a normal length barrel. That is what the data says and that is what the manufacture has told me as well.

IndyGunFreak
04-24-2014, 10:51
Fred "we are NOT talking about mixing diff powders, should never be done..."

Sorry Fred, perhaps I did not make myself very clear. I agree different powders should NEVER be mixed. What I was referring to was mixing one batch of powder with the same powder from a different batch.

As I stated before I agree that you very well may end up with the same numbers and no terrible after effects. I just don't do that myself - just my choice.

So, just curious... do you work your loads up from scratch again every time you change bottles of powder (even if you're staying with the same type of powder)? Personally, if I had that little confidence that a particular powder was not the same from bottle to bottle, I'd probably choose another powder.

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2014, 11:42
If you are running things to a certain power factor you better confirm each new lot. Especially with minor in production as you shoot for no score if you go sub-minor and major in 38 Super Comp as that is a very high pressure round loaded over max already.