Dillon Accu-Crimp Dies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Accu-Crimp Dies

colin1230
04-30-2014, 18:50
I've been using an RCBS die set with a taper crimp die to load my favorite 38 Spl 148g wadcutter load. I would like to try a set of Dillon dies but revolver sets come with Accu-Crimp dies and pistol sets come with taper crimp dies. Can the Accu-Crimp die be set to remove just the case flair like the taper crimp die does and not roll crimp? I have Dillon die sets in 9mm ans 45acp and love how they come apart for cleaning without loosing their setup. Anybody else taper crimping their 148g LWC loads?

Colorado4Wheel
04-30-2014, 19:27
You can just remove the flare with any roll crimp die.

colin1230
04-30-2014, 19:42
Well duh! Guess I didn't think that one through did I? Thanks Steve, I appreciate the fast responce. I never thought of sneeking up on the roll. I'll give it a try.

Gperfection
04-30-2014, 20:36
You should be using a roll crimp, when loading 148 gr wadcutters. It keeps the bullet in the case and also aids in reloading with speedloaders. At least that is the way they are loaded in factory rounds. Why don't you want to use a roll crimp?

Uncle Don
04-30-2014, 20:40
Speed loaders and full wad cutters seems like an oxymoron to me. I certainly used them in the day for semi wad cutters, but full would take a bit of finesse.

Gperfection
04-30-2014, 20:42
Speed loaders and full wad cutters seems like an oxymoron to me. I certainly used them in the day for semi wad cutters, but full would take a bit of finesse.

Myself and the 1000's of others that shoot PPC, must be a bunch of "oxymorons" then.

colin1230
04-30-2014, 21:13
You should be using a roll crimp, when loading 148 gr wadcutters. It keeps the bullet in the case and also aids in reloading with speedloaders. At least that is the way they are loaded in factory rounds. Why don't you want to use a roll crimp?

Don't shoot PPC, don't use speed loaders. At 3.0g of BE, there is not much chance of recoil pulling the bullets. These are target/plinking loads. A taper crimp seems to be more consistent than a roll crimp and is not effected by slight case length differences in mixed brass.

Uncle Don
05-01-2014, 04:34
Myself and the 1000's of others that shoot PPC, must be a bunch of "oxymorons" then.

No need to get defensive - just my own opinion in that full wadcutters are harder to hit all the holes than semi wadcutters, especially quickly. Never tried that and also shot PPC. If you and thousands of others are great at it, fantastic, guess I'm just not as efficient as all the rest of you.

F106 Fan
05-01-2014, 07:40
I've been using an RCBS die set with a taper crimp die to load my favorite 38 Spl 148g wadcutter load.

Why?

I like my Dillon die sets but .38 wadcutters should just use a taper crimp. You already have the taper crimp die, why not just use it?

Mix and match amongst die sets is pretty common. A lot of people buy the Redding micrometer seating die for obvious reasons. Many others like the Lee sizing die for Glock brass because it sizes a little farther down the case. It might not be unusual to use a Lee sizing die, a Dillon powder die, a Redding seating die and some other brand of taper crimp die.

Richard

happie2shoot
05-01-2014, 12:13
Don't shoot PPC, don't use speed loaders. At 3.0g of BE, there is not much chance of recoil pulling the bullets. These are target/plinking loads. A taper crimp seems to be more consistent than a roll crimp and is not effected by slight case length differences in mixed brass.

bingo,+1, I agree, but there will be someone come on here
soon and tell you your all wrong and you must use a rool
crimp.:wavey:

I have used four kinds of crimps and also no crimp, sometimes one is better than the other evet though
its not normal.

You must experiment to find what is best for the job at hand.

happie2shoot
05-01-2014, 12:13
Why?

I like my Dillon die sets but .38 wadcutters should just use a taper crimp. You already have the taper crimp die, why not just use it?

Mix and match amongst die sets is pretty common. A lot of people buy the Redding micrometer seating die for obvious reasons. Many others like the Lee sizing die for Glock brass because it sizes a little farther down the case. It might not be unusual to use a Lee sizing die, a Dillon powder die, as Redding seating die and some other brand of taper crimp die.

Richard

+1:wavey:

colin1230
05-01-2014, 19:34
I certainly agree that mixing and matching dies give you the best from all manufacturers. Why I'm interested in Dillon dies is the ease of cleaning out the bullet lube buggers and they are just darn nice dies. Before I buy a set, I am going to try Colorado4Wheel's advise and just remove the flair with a roll crimp die.

21 shooter
05-01-2014, 19:39
I was going to try the Accu crimp but bought a separate taper crimp die, Lee if I remember correctly. The taper crimp was more accurate for me in a 686 and a PPC revolver.