Getting ready to reload .380 for a G42 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to reload .380 for a G42

njl
05-01-2014, 19:23
I've got a little brass, a box of Xtreme 100gr plated RNFP bullets, and my Dillon dies just arrived.

Anyone else loading these, I'm curious which seating stem end you used. The flat point end seems to mate pretty well with these bullets...so I'll probably start with that.

I'm planning to use Universal Clays, probably somewhere in the 3.2-3.4 range and an OAL somewhere around 0.970". I don't have the gun yet...so I don't know what OAL it'll need with these bullets.

Three-Five-Seven
05-01-2014, 20:00
First, let me caution you not to make a lot of ammo before you have the gun in hand. You may end up wasting a lot of time and material that way. With any cartridge, I always start by making a dummy and trying it in the gun that I intend to use it in.

I've learned this lesson the hard way. So, I'm making this suggestion to you so you don't have to learn it the way I did.

With regard to seating stem, try it both ways and select the way that causes the least distortion to the bullets you intend to use.

It has been a rare event in my life that the first seating stem I've tried worked with the bullets I intended to use. This is where RCBS has always been way-more helpful than the others. They've always helped me to get a stem that worked without causing problems. I doubt if Dillon has the range of seater profiles that RCBS offers.

If you've got flat-nosed bullets, start with that.

Again, don't go any further until you test a dummy round in your pistol.

njl
05-01-2014, 20:50
Yeah...I just got finished setting up the dies. I made one dummy and don't plan on making any actual ammo until I have the gun/barrel so I can make sure the OAL works.

I'm hoping the gun will be here soon, but it could still be weeks or months away. At least this tool head is more or less ready to go...all it might need is minor seating adjustment.

bush pilot
05-01-2014, 22:07
I've been loading a ton of .380 the last couple of months for my G42. I had to bump up the load (Win 231) a bit to get it to function in the Glock. I just used a factory round to adjust the OAL, you can tweak it after that if you like. Make sure you use the "plunk" test for your rounds. BTW, you'll love the G42, it's a kick in the butt to shoot.

Boxerglocker
05-01-2014, 23:36
Just use Freakshows commercial load 100g RN plated 3.2g HP38/W231 @ .980 OAL

I don't have a G42 but my buddy has one and has used this load loaded on my 650 for over 1000 rounds so far. I don't think he has had a single malfunction yet.

Ceapea
05-02-2014, 06:26
I'm planning to use Universal Clays, probably somewhere in the 3.2-3.4 range and an OAL somewhere around 0.970". I don't have the gun yet...so I don't know what OAL it'll need with these bullets.

I have used that load at .960", and it was very good. But I have found that 2.8gr-3.0gr HP-38/231 is better and better yet is 3.8gr Unique (very similar to Universal in a lot of applications).
But for me, the best load that I have found is 3.0gr Bullseye.
All of these are loaded to .960" for my Sig P232. Anything longer, and they start to bind (as I get more than a few) in my factory mags. Since I only have the one .380 pistol, all of my rounds end up at .960"

So, like Three-Five-Seven said, load a few and make sure that they ALL load into your mag (and do so freely), first.

njl
05-02-2014, 06:34

I don't have a G42 but my buddy has one and has used this load loaded on my 650 for over 1000 rounds so far. I don't think he has had a single malfunction yet.

I don't have 231, and given the current market, I won't be getting any new powders anytime soon. Of what I have, I think Universal is most appropriate. My only other options are Clays, WST, or Longshot.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Uncle Don
05-02-2014, 06:36
I've been loading a ton of .380 the last couple of months for my G42. I had to bump up the load (Win 231) a bit to get it to function in the Glock. I just used a factory round to adjust the OAL, you can tweak it after that if you like. Make sure you use the "plunk" test for your rounds. BTW, you'll love the G42, it's a kick in the butt to shoot.

I've always suspected that the .380 would be just the right cartridge for you. You can always go back to the .32 if it gets to be too much. Good luck :wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
05-02-2014, 08:04
9mm S&W.

bush pilot
05-02-2014, 14:13
I've always suspected that the .380 would be just the right cartridge for you. You can always go back to the .32 if it gets to be too much. Good luck :wavey:

LOL, if only I had a Load Master to load my .380 rounds :whistling:

Uncle Don
05-02-2014, 17:57
LOL, if only I had a Load Master to load my .380 rounds :whistling:

I know, in an hour you would have more rounds that you ever wanted to shoot through it.

If you are going to target shoot with it, be sure and let the range officer know so they can put up some thinner cardboard for you. You want it to make it all the way through. I'm just trying to help you man!

bush pilot
05-02-2014, 20:40
I know, in an hour you would have more rounds that you ever wanted to shoot through it.

If you are going to target shoot with it, be sure and let the range officer know so they can put up some thinner cardboard for you. You want it to make it all the way through. I'm just trying to help you man!

That's the nice thing about the .380, bullets bounce off the target and I can reuse them.

njl
05-03-2014, 10:44
I did some more reading and looking at the dummy round, and decided 0.970" really didn't have enough of the bullet inside the brass. I shortened my dummy round to 0.933". Still no gun to test cycle it in...so the press sits waiting.

Green Mountain Boy
05-03-2014, 10:59
I'm using
95 Grain speer .355 diameter bullets RFN profile IIRC
3.2 Grains of Titegroup (which is .2 over max per the speer manual and .1 over per hogdon)
I had to go there to get the thing to cycle reloads. All factory ammo was fine so maybe they are loading .380 "hotter" than they used to be.
CCI 500 small pistol primers
Mixed range brass

This is all running through a hornady 3 die set with a moderate crimp at the end.

Overall I am getting acceptable pocket gun accuracy and most importantly 100% function. I have the older 42 with the older slide stop and my failures with lighter loads had to do with not cycling the slide not premature lock back like you read about in the gazillion page thread that is on General Glocking.

Good Luck

freakshow10mm
05-03-2014, 20:06

It's a good starting point for a solid load that works in many guns. :cool:

leeward419
05-04-2014, 05:38
congrats on the G42, just purchased x-treme plated 100 gr, but have been reloading these and some sierra 90GR JHP, and some MBC LRN with bullseye. Have been using bullseye for these at near max for my Sig 232 and 238. Would love a G42, let us know how it shoots.
Load data is sparse for the 100 gr. you can find some 100 gr loads in the Lyman Load Manual, although it doesn't list one for universal clays.

njl
05-06-2014, 21:00
Still don't have my G42 yet, but I got a chance to chamber check and try cycling my dummy round in a G42 today, and those tests went well.