Who uses AA#2 for 9mm or 40? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who uses AA#2 for 9mm or 40?

J Lee
05-06-2014, 07:47
Been using AA7 for a while with 147gr Pl 9mm but was wondering what I could do with #2. Have some 125gr SNS coated and 124gr PD JHP I thought about trying #2 with. Not a lot of data available. Seems #5 is more popular. Also getting ready to start loading 40 cal 180 coated SNS/Bayou in a few weeks.

WeeWilly
05-06-2014, 09:27
I have loaded #2 in both 9 and 40 through the whole range of bullet weights. It works very well for target velocities. I would just use the Accurate reloading data available for download in PDF form from their web site, just select the load by bullet type (jacketed, lead, etc.).

J Lee
05-06-2014, 12:03
I have loaded #2 in both 9 and 40 through the whole range of bullet weights. It works very well for target velocities. I would just use the Accurate reloading data available for download in PDF form from their web site, just select the load by bullet type (jacketed, lead, etc.).
I did download PDF from Accurate. Maybe could also use it for .45 at some point. Thanks.

Schrag4
05-06-2014, 23:19
I used up a pound of #2 - it worked just fine for really light loads in 9mm.

Gpruitt54
05-09-2014, 11:41
I've gone through several pounds of AA#2 in the last 2 years for 9mm and 40. Excellent powder. Because of the small granules, it meters very well with very consistent and accurate weights from drop to drop. Currently try AA#7 only because AA#2 is not available around here. I love powders with very small granules.

thomas15
05-10-2014, 17:30
I use A#2 for 9mm and 40 S&W. I'm fairly new at handloading and when I started powder was already getting hard to get. My LGS had a few pounds of various powders, so my first trip for powder I came home with 1 lb of each, Power Pistol, Tight Group and A #2. These were the powders I had data for and were available.

I started using A #2 first and have had good results so I bought the stores remaining stock, another 4 pounds. Since that time I have branched out but A #2 remains my go to powder. I look forward to getting more.

OK, I load 9mm mainly, 124 grain Berrys plated RN with 4.3 grains A#2, 124 g Rainier HP 4.2 g A #2. Use caution with my data as I'm close to or slightly over the max load based on what I have read. I haven't tried using it for 147g RN, instead I have been using TG or WST. Nor have I tried it on FMJ ammo. I loaded about 100 38 spl., 158 g plated FP and they worked ok with 3.8 grains in a snubbie. But that load leaves a lot of empty space in the cartridge!

As others have said it measures well. I use an RCBS uniflow powder measure with the pistol drum. Once I get the correct weight, I usually don't have to make any mid-course corrections. My experience is that it burns fairly clean. I use a Glock 17, BTW and my son and wife also 17s, one is a gen 4 and (2) are gen 3.

Accurate markets this powder for small cal., short barrel handguns but I have good results with it in full size Glocks. Accurate list a lot of applications in their data manual on-line. I think it is worth experimentating with but keep in mind my newb status as a handloader.

Gpruitt54
05-11-2014, 07:22
You mentioned Power Pistol. From my experience, this is also an excellent powder, especially for 9mm and 40S&W. If AA#2 is not available, Power Pistol is a close second powder of choice.