Anyone aware of pistol powder in stock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone aware of pistol powder in stock?

xnicodemusx
05-08-2014, 12:31
As the title states... I've been looking for anyone with pistol powder in stock. All the local stores and the local gun show has been out for a while. I usually like to support local business with my purchases. Is anyone aware of a website that has some in stock?! Thank you in advance for any replies!

Arnold Kuhl
05-08-2014, 12:48
As the title states... I've been looking for anyone with pistol powder in stock. All the local stores and the local gun show has been out for a while. I usually like to support local business with my purchases. Is anyone aware of a website that has some in stock?! Thank you in advance for any replies!
Slim pickins for sure. Didn't realize there was such an acute shortage of pistol powder.

I'll report back on this forum if I see any on the web, but so far, nothing.

AK

Boxerglocker
05-08-2014, 12:49
IF you can find any pistol powder from online sources in stock, it won't be for long.
You'll have to be diligent like everyone else and keep scouring the internet several times a day.

Ceapea
05-08-2014, 14:11
My gun club usually has some powders in stock, but even they are running low on most common powders. I was fortunate to have bought the quantities that I did when the demand was low/less, over the last two years or so.
I have always subscribed to the though that buying some (not all, not a lot, some) every time I see it, primers too, was smart.
I can't see myself running out of powder for years. Primers, while I'm not in too bad a shape there, I will need them long before powder ever becomes a concern. I may never need to buy powder again, really.

Try local gun clubs, they usually have a "Pro Shop" and might have some powder. My pro shop sells to non-members for only a 3% markup. The last time that I bought Unique, it was $107/8 lbs. Last year, this time, I think.

n2extrm
05-09-2014, 19:29
Can anyone remind me how long its been since it wasn't an issue? I am serious, I really can't remember the last time I loved on, added something to the cart and it just showed up. I know I did it, just can't tell how long its been anymore.

I better go order something, anything just to get on another wait list.:crying:

fredj338
05-09-2014, 23:15
Can anyone remind me how long its been since it wasn't an issue? I am serious, I really can't remember the last time I loved on, added something to the cart and it just showed up. I know I did it, just can't tell how long its been anymore.

I better go order something, anything just to get on another wait list.:crying:

Oct 2012, everything was available, as much as you wanted. I bought surplus w844 & w846, wst, any primer you needed, all was available prio to 1/2013, even 223 PCM for $300/k!.:crying:

IndyGunFreak
05-09-2014, 23:30
Oct 2012, everything was available, as much as you wanted. I bought surplus w844 & w846, wst, any primer you needed, all was available prio to 1/2013, even 223 PCM for $300/k!.:crying:

Man, hard to believe this has been going on over a year. I was really hoping we'd be through the worst powder shortage by July, but I'm starting too wonder if that will be the case.

I'm OK for now, but.. this time next year I'll be in some trouble if this doesn't clear up.

n2extrm
05-10-2014, 07:01

Feels like a lot longer then that. I am in no dire straights mind you. I had stuff on hand and like you order before I need it. I also have not been as active as I was. After 20 some odd years I changed careers in 2011 and have been running my but off. Top that with the birth of my son in 2010, well I am simply not dong what I once did.

Still can't believe the mess. I remember grabbing anything off a shelf at any time. When no one was reloading and if people found out you did they thought you were nuts. :dunno:

DWARREN123
05-10-2014, 09:41
I just picked up 4 pounds of surplus pistol powder locally for $85 before taxes.
I am lucky! :supergrin:

oldsoldier
05-10-2014, 15:48
I stopped by my LGS today and he had 4lbs of the new Hodgdon CFE Pistol. I picked up 1 lb to try out. That's the only pistol powder I've seen on his shelves in about 6 months.

Angry Fist
05-10-2014, 15:50
Man, did I pick the wrong time to get into reloading. Reload what?

garander
05-10-2014, 18:12
Fin fur outfitters in northeast ohio has had pistol powder the last few times i have stopped.
Grabbed 2 cans of dirty unique today. They had bullseye too.

JWG_34
05-10-2014, 23:06
Just keep checking !!Powder Valley, Graf's & sons , Midway, and others, Got to be on your toes and willing to check the net 10,000 times a day, which I myself, does not have the time to do. Good Luck !

Jeff

SJ 40
05-11-2014, 09:38
In the thread of over a year ago asking how long this would last,I said 2 to 3 years at least before things started to return to anywhere near normal,it isn't there yet. SJ 40

IndyGunFreak
05-11-2014, 11:06
In the thread of over a year ago asking how long this would last,I said 2 to 3 years at least before things started to return to anywhere near normal,it isn't there yet. SJ 40

I believe I predicted July of this year... I suspect I was way off, and you're probably much more in line w/ what is going to happen.

SJ 40
05-11-2014, 13:05
I believe I predicted July of this year... I suspect I was way off, and you're probably much more in line w/ what is going to happen.I was pulling for you and hoped you were correct for all of our sakes. :wavey: SJ 40

BobbyS
05-11-2014, 14:00
Where ever you find it online, by the time you log in or have to register it will be gone.

WeeWilly
05-11-2014, 14:04
In between panics, I had stocked up a lot, buying during sales and accumulating what I reckoned to be over 2 years of normal shooting in components.

My last order with Powder Valley got in before they quit taking back orders and it took months to fill, this was back when some powders were still floating around.

While I am completely out of a few favorites (like Bullseye and very low on Varget), this is mainly because I gave a few buddies some of my inventory when they ran dry.

I still have enough for at least one more full year of shooting and frankly I am not shooting quite as much lately as a few of my better shooting buddies are all but shut down due to shortages of powders.

I agree with SJ40, I think the powder thing might be longer than any of us thought. Does anyone know a handgun shooter that thinks a few pounds of their favorite powder is adequate supply?

Kentguy
05-11-2014, 16:20
JWG_34 "Just keep checking !!Powder Valley, Graf's & sons , Midway, and others, Got to be on your toes and willing to check the net 10,000 times a day, which I myself, does not have the time to do. Good Luck !"

I'm afraid that this is truer than most of us want to believe. I spend time checking all the local gun shops and big box stores as well (don't like to pay the Haz-Mat fees).

I have a pretty good supply on the shelves but even that will not last forever... because I like to shoot!

Only powders I just can not seem to get my hands on is Accurate Arms #5 and Hodgdon Universal. I'm sure this will pop up somewhere soon.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Angry Fist
05-11-2014, 16:48
In between panics, I had stocked up a lot, buying during sales and accumulating what I reckoned to be over 2 years of normal shooting in components.

My last order with Powder Valley got in before they quit taking back orders and it took months to fill, this was back when some powders were still floating around.

While I am completely out of a few favorites (like Bullseye and very low on Varget), this is mainly because I gave a few buddies some of my inventory when they ran dry.

I still have enough for at least one more full year of shooting and frankly I am not shooting quite as much lately as a few of my better shooting buddies are all but shut down due to shortages of powders.

I agree with SJ40, I think the powder thing might be longer than any of us thought. Does anyone know a handgun shooter that thinks a few pounds of their favorite powder is adequate supply?
It is for me. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to. Might have a few pounds next week. :supergrin: