Jacketed vs Washed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jacketed vs Washed?

G26AZ
05-11-2014, 22:10
I know that Glock says not to shoot lead bullets in their guns. What about "Copper washed" bullets? Are they ok to shoot in Glocks?

Also, when reloading the washed bullets, do you use the data for jacketed or lead?

Are "plated" bullets different from "jacketed" or "washed"?

DWARREN123
05-12-2014, 07:05
Never seem any copper washed bullets for center fire pistol. Plated can run from just above lead to as fast as you can push them.
Most plated bullets should be loaded between lead and jacketed.
I have and still do fire lead bullets thru Glock OEM barrels with no problems.
Also fairly new is coated lead bullets, much less smoke and does not lead.

WeeWilly
05-12-2014, 08:55
Like DWARREN123, I too have never seen any copper washed lead bullets for sale.

I shoot lead almost exclusively these days, the only problems with leading I have run into with my Glocks was shooting a waaay over max .45 Super load out of my stock G21SF barrel. For normal handgun loadings, I have found lead and Glocks to be the same as traditional rifled barrels.

If you want the cost benefit of lead and want to be extra sure regarding leading in your Glocks, check out coated bullets. I have been testing the SNS coated bullets lately. I will likely be switching to these in all my favorite calibers with my next orders, they work great, if you don't mind the mild burnt paint smell. ;)

http://www.snscasting.com/9mm-1/

fredj338
05-12-2014, 09:00
Copper washed are probably fine in a glock. The wash is super thin, not like plating at all, so load just like a lead bullet. You can even run conventional lead bullets in a glock, just clean more often. When I got my 1st gen g17, they didn't have a no lead bullet warning. I shot more than 2k rds of lead bullet loads w/o cleaning. I still have the gun, since switched to a lw bbl, shoots better with lead anyway.

SJ 40
05-12-2014, 10:53
I know that Glock says not to shoot lead bullets in their guns. What about "Copper washed" bullets? Are they ok to shoot in Glocks?

Also, when reloading the washed bullets, do you use the data for jacketed or lead?

Are "plated" bullets different from "jacketed" or "washed"?Copper washed was popular 15-20 years ago and one of the biggest suppliers was National Bullet Company.
Somewhere about I still have some of there 38 swc and 45 swc's.

They were a fad for a time but were not anywhere as thick as plated,basically a coppered colored cast lead bullet.

I'll stick with cast bullets out of my OEM barrels just fine. SJ 40

ColoCG
05-18-2014, 09:18
Copper washed was popular 15-20 years ago and one of the biggest suppliers was National Bullet Company.
Somewhere about I still have some of there 38 swc and 45 swc's.

They were a fad for a time but were not anywhere as thick as plated,basically a coppered colored cast lead bullet.

I'll stick with cast bullets out of my OEM barrels just fine. SJ 40

I agree, I still have some of the NCB cast bullets around also. They always worked fine. I never tried their copper washed, they just didn't seem like they would be any better than their regular cast bullets.

SJ 40
05-18-2014, 09:46
I agree, I still have some of the NCB cast bullets around also. They always worked fine. I never tried their copper washed, they just didn't seem like they would be any better than their regular cast bullets.They weren't,when I picked the up they were closing them out and were discounted steeply. SJ 40