Which Berry's .380 Bullet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Berry's .380 Bullet?

Jim
05-14-2014, 21:22
Berry's makes two different .380 bullets, both 100 grain plated round nose. The difference is that you can get one with a hollow base, they claim that provides a longer bearing surface for more accuracy. No discussion about pressures and power charges, I guess the total powder volume would be the same.

Does anyone have a recommendation for one over the other, or a better brand? It would be nice to get a hollow point or flat point (like current WW .380 FMJ) so that I'm continually testing my gun and mags' ability to feed JHP, but I don't find any bullets currently available that way.

EDIT:
It looks like Extreme Bullets makes a .380 100 gr flat point, that sounds like the shape I want but not sure about the quality.
Comments?

njl
05-14-2014, 22:14
I really don't understand why they make a 100gr RNHB. I thought their HB bullets were meant to be reduced weight while maintaining the profile of heavier bullets. i.e. 185gr RNHB = 230gr RN profile. 100gr is already on the heavy end for .380...so why would you want a 100gr extra-long bullet?

yippi
05-14-2014, 22:49
I have shot all three bullets through a Beretta 85FS and found the Berry's hollow base to be more acurate the their standard round nose. Extreme bullets are excellent quality also. As accurate or more so than Berry's. Extreme also has a thicker plating.

ColoCG
05-15-2014, 08:49
I really don't understand why they make a 100gr RNHB. I thought their HB bullets were meant to be reduced weight while maintaining the profile of heavier bullets. i.e. 185gr RNHB = 230gr RN profile. 100gr is already on the heavy end for .380...so why would you want a 100gr extra-long bullet?

The .380 RNHB bullet provides more bullet bearing surface inside the small case of the .380 with the same oal as the solid RN without increasing pressure dramaticly. I've had very good accuracy with them.

The Xtreme bullets are also very good.

Brian Lee
05-15-2014, 13:01
The .380 RNHB bullet provides more bullet bearing surface inside the small case of the .380 with the same oal as the solid RN without increasing pressure dramaticly. I've had very good accuracy with them.

The Xtreme bullets are also very good.

This sounds believable to me because the same overall goal - to put more bearing area between the bullet and the rifling - has already been done to redesigned rifle projectiles and also resulted in improved accuracy. The lighter end of the available .38 caliber bullets have always been awfully short.