Newbie needs advice on powder for 9mm. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on powder for 9mm.

glockandgroovin'
05-17-2014, 08:10
What would you recommend to start out with? All I have really looked into thus far is a couple of Unique powders. Would thia be a good starting point?

sourdough44
05-17-2014, 08:13
The Unique speed(H Universal, AA #5) would work. What bullets do you plan, type & weight? With a light bullet, 115 grains or so, I like a powder on the faster side, Win 231 ballpark.

glockandgroovin'
05-17-2014, 09:15
The Unique speed(H Universal, AA #5) would work. What bullets do you plan, type & weight? With a light bullet, 115 grains or so, I like a powder on the faster side, Win 231 ballpark.

I will be using Xtreme's plated RN as well as their plated HP's. Both will be 115 gr.

Kentguy
05-17-2014, 09:42
Glockandgroovin',

These are some of the more popular powders I have tested and really like;

9mm
Accurate Arms - #5
Alliant - Bullseys, Power Pistol, Unique
Hodgdon - HS6, LongShot, Universal
Winchester - 231, Autocomp, WSF

ChrisJn
05-17-2014, 10:19
OP, A good thread just two days ago on this subject, worth taking a look http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528182

WeeWilly
05-17-2014, 10:33
The list of powders that will work pretty well in 9mm is long.

Unfortunately, the list of powders available to buy these days is very short, sometimes non-existent. So if you post what you can find in stock locally (I know there is none online), someone here will have a great load for you, or likely you can just go to the manufacturers website and get a great starting point.

Since you capitalized Unique, I am assuming you have or can get some Unique. If that is the case, Unique is an excellent powder for many handgun calibers. Just go on Alliant's website and they have load data. Alliant lists max loads (covered in the disclaimer page everyone just clicks on without reading), so the number offered is max, drop 10% and work up.

Have fun.

sourdough44
05-17-2014, 15:32
Whatever you do load, I'd try a few different charges within listed data. You want to be sure they cycle fine before you load up a bunch.

Loads at the very bottom of listed data may not cycle reliably.

Yes, powder availability is a biggie, if you don't have it on hand. Unique seems to be coming back in some areas. The only thing I have against it is the metering qualities are not as good as other choices. That can be dealt with though.

uzimon
05-18-2014, 14:57
Im loading 4.5. unique under a 124gr xtreme rn. My g19 really like it.
If I could find more #7 Id load some 147. plated rn. Thats even beta